• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

wwm0nkey

I really hope they patch in the uncapped FPS very soon. Its really unplayable for me , even on a 980 TI esp on a 1440p / 144hz monitor. I know theres a cheat engine floating around, but I would rather not use that.
You can use that .exe I posted, just as unsafe as cheatengine but I needed to see Halo at 100FOV at 120FPS

Anyone feel free to add me if you want to play,
Toler Supreme

I okay on both xbox and PC and will gladly help out with some newcomers. :)

HTupolev

You must have a list of all the games' vert & hor FOV somewhere (I've been trying to find it from years past) + split-screen. :p
I did this four years ago, but that only goes to CEA.

I think the OG Halo 1 split-screen number is 1 degree low; when I did this test, I hadn't yet figured out how to precisely compensate for perspective distortion in counted frames. It *should* be closer to 109.

The Halo 2 numbers are probably the least precise. For some reason the measurements just weren't perfectly stable. I think they're still within a degree or two, though.

Was H2A FOV changed?
I'm not sure. I don't think so, but I haven't measured it.

I should really go take some more measurements. But before I do that I'll have to look back through my scribbles... my perspective distortion stuff was implemented on my TI-83, and then the memory got wiped.

lol

Off topic:

Is anyone here who uses google wallet that can do me a favor and trusts me?
Preferably from UK

I can't use Google Wallet in Portugal

I've replayed all the Halo shooter campaigns the past few months. I'm on Halo 5 now, and I still don't understand where so much player vitriol is coming from. Yeah, the Wardens are a terrible design decision and the person responsible for them should be forced to fight them on Legendary non-stop for a week to understand the magnitude of his failure, but the rest of the campaign just hits all the right spots for me.

belushy

Banned
Don't mean to double post, but apparently you can go above to 16 player cap in customs by simply inviting people after the game starts. Someone said they just started an 18 player BTB game and had another say they had a 21 player infection game last night.

WARZONE ARENA

Fuchsdh

I've replayed all the Halo shooter campaigns the past few months. I'm on Halo 5 now, and I still don't understand where so much player vitriol is coming from. Yeah, the Wardens are a terrible design decision and the person responsible for them should be forced to fight them on Legendary non-stop for a week to understand the magnitude of his failure, but the rest of the campaign just hits all the right spots for me.

I don't think they're even that bad, post-balance patch. What frustrated me was not their 1HKs, but the fact that in solo campaign you can't rely on the fire team revival mechanic at all.

belushy

Banned
So I remember Wahrer mentioning he thought the FOV filter for forge maps was additive. Tried it with 150 fov + the FOV Slider. Its definitely broken.
h2xUCkq.jpg

The exe definitely messes with the XboxDVR because it won't let me record video now lol

Karl2177

I have yet to replay it since the rebalance, but at the time a lot of my frustration was in fighting the Prometheans, some of the encounter spaces being too linear, and how it feels like 343's harder=more bad guys with more health and higher damage output. For me, the first blue team mission and the one where you're running through the caves in either a phaeton or on foot are the 2 standout missions. While the Sanghelios missions were good, they don't stand out in my memory. I've voiced my dislike of Promethean enemies before, so I won't talk too much about that. What I mean with encounters being linear is that there was only one option through the encounter. It has a fair amount to do with how the designers tend to use the Prometheans--like Halo 4 if there's a Watcher, you kill the Watcher first. But it happened in Covenant spaces also where there wasn't any leeway in simple things like the direction you can attack from. I'll always hold The Storm from Halo 3 in high regards, because while it is a linear mission it introduces the player to pockets of encounters. And these encounters can be approached in a myriad of ways. And going from pocket to pocket they have linear encounters, but they are changed by what the player brings from the previous pocket. It could be my memory being weak, but Halo 5 doesn't have a mission that does anything like that. When it comes to my last point, I don't think that 343 has implemented an enemy that actually felt smart. There isn't an enemy that I feel outsmarted me in battle, I feel like they just fired laser precise projectiles (or tracking projectiles) at me that did more damage than when I fire the same gun. There are no CE Elites, ODST Chieftains, Reach Ultra Elites.

Ade

Off topic:

Is anyone here who uses google wallet that can do me a favor and trusts me?
Preferably from UK

I can't use Google Wallet in Portugal

I haven't used it for ages, but I'm in the UK and have Google Wallet. If its not urgent pm me the details and ill do it in the morning

Chittagong

Gold Member
Holy shit today is a bad lag day in UK, just went 12-50 with a team of 90-120s against a team of 3-10s, splinter grenade + SMG ain't enough

Get a crew together, and it's like multiplayer.

You forget I am
forever alone :'(

Halo 5 legendary?

I did solo legendary...so, I suppose it's all uphill from there.
Yeah! I want to but then I wanna do my daily win for the day and my time is limited with 2 kids and a wife to tend to. Lol

20 min Burts here and there.

I only want to do it for the achievement art. So sick.

xJavonta

Banned
I wish I had a way to monitor my system with H5:Forge. I know I'm using an ancient CPU but I've had pretty much no problems in any other game with my CPU/GPU combo :(

NICE! I always get put into Plat 4, and then i have to work my way up to diamond lol.

So you'll be an Onyx in no time!!

Hopefully I can be motivated enough to get up there! The solo grind is rough! After beating several teams of Onyx I was hoping to be a little higher in my Diamond placement, but I guess I will just have to kick some more ass, haha

I really hope they patch in the uncapped FPS very soon. Its really unplayable for me , even on a 980 TI esp on a 1440p / 144hz monitor. I know theres a cheat engine floating around, but I would rather not use that.
Can someone explain this to me? Why is halo at 60 fps "unplayable" on the PC? Is this somehow different than 60 fps on console?

Akai__

Can someone explain this to me? Why is halo at 60 fps "unplayable" on the PC? Is this somehow different than 60 fps on console?

It's the same as getting from 30FPS to 60FPS. Once you have seen 120Hz or 144Hz, you don't want to go back to 60. That's at least how PC people feel. I'm totally fine with 60.

Got onyx 1700 on swat today. I didn't deserve it but I'm happy I got it. Got dmr swat for 4 or the 5 placement matches I did. Fuck do I not like dmr swat. I like regular or pistol compared to it cause how much harder it is to cross map or aim with those two compared to the dmr. Hell I hardly use the dmr much due to the ptsd I get from the launch days of halo 4. Fuck that gun and everybody who had it as their most used weapon in 4.

It's the same as getting from 30FPS to 60FPS. Once you have seen 120Hz or 144Hz, you don't want to go back to 60. That's at least how PC people feel. I'm totally fine with 60.
Meh, diminishing returns. I mean, mathematically the difference between 60 and 120 fps is half that of the difference between 30 and 60 fps. But I guess subjectively, any perceived benefit is worthwhile.

TCKaos

I have yet to replay it since the rebalance, but at the time a lot of my frustration was in fighting the Prometheans, some of the encounter spaces being too linear, and how it feels like 343's harder=more bad guys with more health and higher damage output. For me, the first blue team mission and the one where you're running through the caves in either a phaeton or on foot are the 2 standout missions. While the Sanghelios missions were good, they don't stand out in my memory. I've voiced my dislike of Promethean enemies before, so I won't talk too much about that. What I mean with encounters being linear is that there was only one option through the encounter. It has a fair amount to do with how the designers tend to use the Prometheans--like Halo 4 if there's a Watcher, you kill the Watcher first. But it happened in Covenant spaces also where there wasn't any leeway in simple things like the direction you can attack from. I'll always hold The Storm from Halo 3 in high regards, because while it is a linear mission it introduces the player to pockets of encounters. And these encounters can be approached in a myriad of ways. And going from pocket to pocket they have linear encounters, but they are changed by what the player brings from the previous pocket. It could be my memory being weak, but Halo 5 doesn't have a mission that does anything like that. When it comes to my last point, I don't think that 343 has implemented an enemy that actually felt smart. There isn't an enemy that I feel outsmarted me in battle, I feel like they just fired laser precise projectiles (or tracking projectiles) at me that did more damage than when I fire the same gun. There are no CE Elites, ODST Chieftains, Reach Ultra Elites.

These are pretty much my thoughts as well. I still replay AotCR 15 years later because even though there are some encounters that anyone could argue are linear spaces (like the bridge), I'm still afforded more tactical possibilities in them than even in the most open of encounters in Halo 4 or 5. The spaces and the encounters they're designed around have more options, and the enemies react to them in a multitude of fashions, meaning that it could play out fairly differently every time.

Halo CE's Elites are the pinnacle of AI combat for the franchise and it's sort of disheartening. Reach's were pretty close, especially at the higher ranks (Ultras, Rangers and the Zealots from Pillar of Autumn in particular). They would bob and weave and flank and it was incredibly fun to fight them. Halo 4 and 5's Elites stand in place and occasionally step to the side. They have pinpoint accuracy and my only real option to beat them in any encounter is to hunker down until they're done shooting and to pop out and shoot them back.

With all the development I've been doing lately I can definitely say that while I can see the difference between 60FPS and 120-144+ FPS, I don't think it's really fundamentally necessary for a smooth experience the way 30FPS vs 60FPS is. Personally in terms of the big three my priorities are

Framerate
FOV
Resolution

UE4 seems kind of inconsistent at this point, but I think that's mainly when running demo builds - sometimes I can get 1080p60fps120fov without a hitch, but other times the framerate will randomly dip to sub-30.

Karl2177

Since the latest update appears to have broken scripting on some maps, it might be a good idea to pull rift ball out for the time being.

With all the development I've been doing lately I can definitely say that while I can see the difference between 60FPS and 120-144+ FPS, I don't think it's really fundamentally necessary for a smooth experience the way 30FPS vs 60FPS is. Personally in terms of the big three my priorities are

Framerate
FOV
Resolution

UE4 seems kind of inconsistent at this point, but I think that's mainly when running demo builds - sometimes I can get 1080p60fps120fov without a hitch, but other times the framerate will randomly dip to sub-30.

The only time where 144hz really made a difference for me was Counter Strike. That game requires a level of precision and response time that other games don't. I found that when I jumped from 60hz to 144hz my frags skyrocketed.

Otherwise, I agree. Most games it's really not that important. It's just a cool luxury if attainable.

edit: Modern implementations of motion blur is getting pretty darn good. I'm getting to the point that I don't even mind 30fps as long as I'm using a controller. Spinning around quickly with a mouse really makes a lower framerate apparent.

Forge continues to amaze, Star Wars Sarlacc Pit BTB map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nm3PyvM40U

Thats fucking sick

You know 343i, when I pick "Focused", that means "don't fucking match me with people playing in Australia or on DSL, causing me to lag so badly I get kicked and lose my RP boost".

I am so fucking sick of getting kicked from Warzone matches because of other people's shitternet. And before anyone says it's on my end:

5626576612.png

You know 343i, when I pick "Focused", that means "don't fucking match me with people playing in Australia or on DSL, causing me to lag so badly I get kicked and lose my RP boost".

I am so fucking sick of getting kicked from Warzone matches because of other people's shitternet. And before anyone says it's on my end:

5626576612.png

could be 8 ping though bro

Trup1aya

I really didn't have much issue with the campaign gameplay (although promethean's particularly soldiers aren't fun to fight). There were a ton of great sequences. The story was just nonsensical and the characters mostly useless...

I really didn't have much issue with the campaign gameplay (although promethean's particularly soldiers aren't fun to fight). There were a ton of great sequences. The story was just nonsensical and the characters mostly useless...

I really need to replay the campaign but one thing I didn't like is how Chief finally meets Halsey after all this time and we don't get any resolution. Hope this doesn't get relegated to a comic or something again.
Generally, I felt that the cut scenes - while pretty - ended too abruptly a number of times.

That said, I'm pretty LTTP as far as Halo 5 goes as I was abroad for a year when it came out but ever since I've been addicted. The gameplay has never been tighter and WZ Firefight in particular makes me come back almost every day.

I also really wanna play more Arena but playing with randoms can be quite aggravating... I guess we all can agree to that.

Is there still room in the HaloGAF Spartan Company? I haven't been active here in a long time (forgot my password, haha), but Halo 5 has got me hooked like crazy. I'd love to play with a few like-minded people from time to time!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Matchmaking put me against this guy and his friends yesterday. They are Diamond 5, I'm a minimum level Plat 1. We lost 12-50 naturally.

His game history demonstrates how well matchmaking works in this game:

EvUrAcR.jpg

People really sleep on Tanaka in terms of the story. She's the emotional backbone of Osiris and is the only person in the whole campaign to actually have a full character arc.

In a fight against Chief she also probably wouldn't SLOWLY PULL THE DAMN STASIS EARMUFF OUT RIGHT IN PLAIN SIGHT AS THE MUSIC SWELLED AT THE WORST POSSIBLE OPPORTUNITY TO TRY AND USE IT

Sai

Sub-Zero with the abrupt Tanaka DF outburst.

Speaking of Tanaka, and Osiris in general, I do hope that 343i doesn't throw them to the wayside because of the fans' complaining about their overbearing presence in Halo 5's Campaign. I hope Osiris, Palmer, and Gabriel continue to be developed, and used to represent the Spartan IVs in general.

I have all kinds of grandiose hopes for the H6 campaign, and yeah, not ditching Osiris entirely is part of them. There's a lot of potential there.

Top Bottom