• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

belushy

Banned
Oh its one clip of shotgun... that is pretty cool actually.

edit: watching Naded.... don't like the bringing flag back to your own base.

Welfare

I wonder how long it'll take 343 to realize that Breakout is fundamentally broken and it will never work. Spent like what, 2 years on it and it still isn't fun. Just scrap it and work on other more important issues.

BizzyBum

Adding shotgun is possibly the worst thing they could have done.

Congrats 343, you somehow made Breakout even worse.

Breakout being shit is somewhat of a hyperbole it's not the best in the world. But I see it as just another game type exclusive to one halo. That pre warzone game type in 4. Head hunter in reach. Something they tried that didn't land. Gotta give them credit for at least trying to salvage it.

I enjoyed breakout back then and it had its moments. It will be interesting to see for myself how the changes pan out. Would of liked for them to do something else but it's not like they are only focusing on one thing at a time.

Madness

Shoot the company a request to join. I'm about to do some sweeping to make some room for the pending members. Shooting for Sunday.

v059g.gif

I am going to play this weekend so don't you dare boot.

belushy

Banned
Can someone save the map variants and put them on your file share? Was hoping it would be in 343 features but it isn't yet. Wanna run on them on PC.

Voho

Definitely a downgrade in regards to Breakout. If they just made it default traits, AR/Magnum (or even just Magnum) starts, and one life it could have been Halo's version of Warzone or Elimination, but they had to complicate it to make it "special".

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'm sure i'm lttp but there is a new, excellent, community feedback survey out. check emails.

Trup1aya

I haven't played the new breakout yet. Sounds like they are trying to channel gears of war.

On paper, too me at least, it sounds like they've made the mode better. That said, it pains me to no end that they spent time trying to fix a mode that no one wants to play, instead of giving us modes we've been demanding since the game launched.

I haven't played the new breakout yet. Sounds like they are trying to channel gears of war.

On paper, too me at least, it sounds like they've made the mode better. That said, it pains me to no end that they spent time trying to fix a mode that no one wants to play, instead of giving us modes we've been demanding since the game launched.
Couldn't agree more. Some seriously odd decision making.

Nowise10

They updated Breakout and have yet to do anything for BTB, something that people are actively talking about and want changed.

Yikes.

uuuuuhhh BTB isn't pistol starts yet
:(
but it just got a rather big update

That's what I don't understand. They did this huge BTB update and left out pistol starts. It blows my mind. Someone at 343i must really hate the idea. Even the map creators said they designed them for pistol starts. This isn't just a minority of people asking for this to be changed.

343i:

tumblr_meqr7fmB0k1rkty0bo1_500.gif

Shouldn't be shotgun, it needs to go back to smg. Shotgun just promotes what made breakout bad, nothing but camping or laming out the time. Flag needs to go back to being on the other base. Shit flag caps are super easy cause of confusion and especially if you got a full team.

It's alright but shouldn't be ranked it's too easy and pro leauge players probably want to touch it less. Kinda enjoyed the original breakout better but the full shields is a step forward. Maps seem to be upgraded and always was a fan of the aesthetic of breakout.

Trup1aya

Shouldn't be shotgun, it needs to go back to smg. Shotgun just promotes what made breakout bad, nothing but camping or laming out the time. Flag needs to go back to being on the other base. Shit flag caps are super easy cause of confusion and especially if you got a full team.

It's alright but shouldn't be ranked it's too easy and pro leauge players probably want to touch it less. Kinda enjoyed the original breakout better but the full shields is a step forward. Maps seem to be upgraded and always was a fan of the aesthetic of breakout.

SMGs are no less campy than shotguns.

I think limited ammo Shotgun makes sense since we have full shields. Without a 1HK weapon in this scenario, you can forget about ever having 1v4 comebacks. Snowballs would be the norm.

What causes the camping is the fact that they added radar.

Fuchsdh

I think limited ammo Shotgun makes sense since we have full shields. Without a 1HK weapon in this scenario, you can forget about ever having 1v4 comebacks. Snowballs would be the norm.

Haven't seen much camping, honestly. The flag is now a much more viable means of winning which means that camping will hurt you especially with the short return times on some maps.

blamite

Does the arena season end tonight or at the end of next month? Need to know if I need to get a couple more slayer games in tonight to grab that emblem...

Does the arena season end tonight or at the end of next month? Need to know if I need to get a couple more slayer games in tonight to grab that emblem...

It's called "Fall" season, so I'd imagine it's longer than a month, but I could be wrong. They never tell us shit.

BizzyBum

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mode-a-la-mode

I don't see camping being a major issue in Breakout even with radar and shottys just because of the flag being capped so once the enemy team runs the flag you can't just hide in a corner unless you want to lose.

The updated maps seem fine but they also went from 10+ maps to 6. I just don't like any of the changes. No reason to spawn with shotgun and add radar to this. Some maps are very tight so there has been many times I just trade kills with other players using the shotty.

I mean, it's not like I liked the old Breakout either so it doesn't really matter. Seems the majority of opinions over on the official forums are negative, as well.

Trup1aya

Haven't seen much camping, honestly. The flag is now a much more viable means of winning which means that camping will hurt you especially with the short return times on some maps.

This is a good point, I think flag dashes are more of an 'issue' than camping.

I never actually liked playing the old Breakout... But I do think this is a better mode now. But I think I'm in the minority... Which is crazy because so few liked the old Breakout.

BizzyBum

I never actually liked playing the old Breakout... But I do think this is a better mode now. But I think I'm in the minority... Which is crazy because so few liked the old Breakout.

Apparently the "hardcore" Breakout players all want it changed back to how it originally was. lol

Trup1aya

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mode-a-la-mode

I don't see camping being a major issue in Breakout even with radar and shottys just because of the flag being capped so once the enemy team runs the flag you can't just hide in a corner unless you want to lose.

The updated maps seem fine but they also went from 10+ maps to 6. I just don't like any of the changes. No reason to spawn with shotgun and add radar to this. Some maps are very tight so there has been many times I just trade kills with other players using the shotty.

I mean, it's not like I liked the old Breakout either so it doesn't really matter. Seems the majority of opinions over on the official forums are negative, as well.

Before I even read the CU, I knew why they added a shotgun. It makes perfect sense. With full shields, there's no way a person would stand a chance in 1vX situations. The possibility of those crazy comebacks was definately something worth preserving, and shotgun is really the only logical way to do so.

Apparently the "hardcore" Breakout players all want it changed back to how it originally was. lol

I guess anyone who stuck with that mode was probably pretty hardcore about it.

Two comments triggered me in the CU
We’re still very committed to the original spirit of Breakoutand for the update we wanted to maintain the high stakes of single life elimination but make it feel more at home with Halo players by enabling full shields, as well as motion tracker to more closely match Arena settings.

1) why can't you instead be commited to gametypes people have been begging you for
2) why did you think it wise to add radar for this arbitrary reason, rather than doing what's best for the mode

Seriously, you guys have to stop being bullish when it comes to supporting your own ideas. Is it a pride thing?

psyfi

Banned
So I wonder who is taking over head of HCS now that Che is leaving 343. Maybe that is what Bravo is moving on to?
Aw man, I didn't hear about Che leaving. That's a bummer. I used to love him back in his EGM days and thought it was really cool that he was working with Halo.

I've seen comebacks a lot in breakout. Shotgun causes those cases a lot less. Full shields will also cause less comebacks.all the setting they added unfortunately makes it to where comebacks are harder to do. So shotguns and full shields kinda do the inverse for comebacks. Overall making games less interesting.
Camping was always in breakout, radar isn't making it happen anymore or any less. Need radar or else new breakout would be stupid broken with shotguns. Sure you can use sound like most did in old breakout but that already created people crouching around, so radar hardly does anything at all.

You might be right about the smg but never seen myself get blind sighted by one as soon as I turn the corner compared to a shotgun.

Breakout now seems a little less skilled than original especially with a 1hk weapon, doesn't matter if it's limited cause you can pick up ammo. Flag caps are now stupid easy cause the caps are all pretty close and no danger at all if everybody is busy. Should of just kept old breakout really cause that allowed comebacks maps felt a little less claustrophobic cause now they feel like they were mostly made with shotguns in mind.

Velcoro

This new Breakout is just plain awful with shotty starts. Radar/full shields is fine but the shotty just changes the whole dynamic of the game now.

Really tried giving it a chance but it's just not fun. They should really rename it to Team Shotguns.

Need radar or else new breakout would be stupid broken with shotguns. Sure you can use sound like most did in old breakout but that already created people crouching around, so radar hardly does anything at all.
It should be the reverse. In gametypes with quick/instant kill times, radar could help. In gametypes with full shields, there's less of a need for it.

This is another battle in the War of Halo™ that will take a long time to settle. It's one of many things I've been in the minority for, but something I think more people would like if 343 just made the change. Took us years to get decent AR/Pistol starts and faster movement, but we finally got it and people love it. I'll just sit here with my hands on this keyboard, occasionally posting about a wonderful future of Halo without radar/OP motion tracker until that time comes.
And that time will [hopefully] be with the custom games browser.

It should be the reverse. In gametypes with quick/instant kill times, radar could help. In gametypes with full shields, there's less of a need for it.

This is another battle in the War of Halo™ that will take a long time to settle. It's one of many things I've been in the minority for, but something I think more people would like if 343 just made the change. Took us years to get decent AR/Pistol starts and faster movement, but we finally got it and people love it. I'll just sit here with my hands on this keyboard, occasionally posting about a wonderful future of Halo without radar/OP motion tracker until that time comes.
And that time will [hopefully] be with the custom games browser.

It's because radar in this halo isn't very good. It's too small and people disappear too quickly when they crouch. It needs some type of improvement because it's making people crouch all too much and rewarding them for it.

Edit: if you mean get rid of radar in stuff with full shields then fuck that. It would be a world I would want no part of. Radar is important and helps for callouts and knowing where the team is so they don't get the jump on you all the time. Radar is now essential and would hate to see it go away and what ways it will change games.

Top Bottom