• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Madness

Gears is going to have a movie. I think they're doing that series perfectly after Judgment. They supposedly get LAN for the game without requiring the use of special online servers like 343 does for Halo events. They've partnered with MLG for their eSports scene. Their story and prologue people are already saying is good and hits the feels and now a movie, which Halo was supposed to have long ago (turned into District 9). No new information on the Spielberg produced show etc.

Gears also had the benefit of transitioning to another studio after Halo's transition. They were able to learn from the mistakes Halo made. Though I found Gears MP beta pretty stale, it was essentially Gears 3, though that's probably the right move comparing to Halo 4.

Gears also had the benefit of transitioning to another studio after Halo's transition. They were able to learn from the mistakes Halo made. Though I found Gears MP beta pretty stale, it was essentially Gears 3, though that's probably the right move comparing to Halo 4.

it also didn't have a market of blockbuster third-person online shooters surrounding it tempting them to switch up the formula to chase said games' relative successes.

Madness

it also didn't have a market of blockbuster third-person online shooters surrounding it tempting them to switch up the formula to chase said games' relative successes.

True there is more competition in the FPS space. For the Gears series, Judgment was sort of the Halo 4 while Gears 4 is going to be what Halo 5 is. But since Rod has come to Black Tusk/Coalition, his goal has been to not alienate the core fanbase at all, to return to what fans liked, ratings or success be damned. At the end of the day, if they aren't successful with the larger group of gamers, Gears fans will still be happy.

They're not marketing you random toys and novels and their sequel to the story maintains a personal connection in the form of Marcus and Anya's son as the main character etc. Parterning with MLG, I am excited to see how the open events they have will grow the scene and compare it to ESL/Halo pro league.

True there is more competition in the FPS space. For the Gears series, Judgment was sort of the Halo 4 while Gears 4 is going to be what Halo 5 is. But since Rod has come to Black Tusk/Coalition, his goal has been to not alienate the core fanbase at all, to return to what fans liked, ratings or success be damned. At the end of the day, if they aren't successful with the larger group of gamers, Gears fans will still be happy.

They're not marketing you random toys and novels and their sequel to the story maintains a personal connection in the form of Marcus and Anya's son as the main character etc. Parterning with MLG, I am excited to see how the open events they have will grow the scene and compare it to ESL/Halo pro league.

If Bonnie is to be believed, 343 should be getting better about that (not having the side material be required to understand the games' narrative). Hope it becomes true. Halo 5's story aside, the thing that really bummed me out was cutscenes just... ended. Felt like a lot was cut, but who knows.

Gears 4 looks good. Glad they want to hold true to the original games. I doubt it'd be in time for Halo 6, but I hope 343 looks closely at Gears 4's reception and see what good they can take from it.

-Ryn

Banned
I really hope 343 is able to nail custom games and party game types in Halo 6.

Playing stuff like Lava Pit, Jenga Tower, Hog Wars, and Duck Hunt has been an absolute blast. It probably helps that Halo Online has a server browser as I've seen some absolutely crazy game types in Halo 5 made by the community, but gathering a party of people to play said game types is much more difficult than it was back in the days of Halo 3 (or even Reach). Change in the times I guess.

Both matches I played everyone was just using Shotguns. The entire element of slowly pushing forward is gone, because everyone including me was just running around sliding with Shotguns like we were playing Destiny. It was so stupid.
Damn that sounds like ass.

Breakout is already a devisive game type (if you are lucky and have 1 or 2 decent teammates it can be great but otherwise it is generally an exercise in frustration) so I can easily see how that would kill it for some.

we haven't even gotten our MCC post mortem.
lol I forgot about that. Wonder if it'll ever be explained in detail...

Cranster

Banned
If Bonnie is to be believed, 343 should be getting better about that (not having the side material be required to understand the games' narrative). Hope it becomes true. Halo 5's story aside, the thing that really bummed me out was cutscenes just... ended. Felt like a lot was cut, but who knows.

Gears 4 looks good. Glad they want to hold true to the original games. I doubt it'd be in time for Halo 6, but I hope 343 looks closely at Gears 4's reception and see what good they can take from it.
Yeah, it did feel like alot was cut from the cinematics at the very least.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Finally finished all the weapon mastery commendations, I don't like the emblem you get for it.

I'm going back to Merry Berry, he's so cute!!!

Ade

Provided the trains aren't an absolute git, I've got a nice surprise for my daughter (12) lined up for early December

y3msKPbSYhTE8gUwgMdXdcuo_2KiO4AJT0Qzjh-ko_fbj6WvJ0xIc0_dTb5X6CoUldPUc5vipHsQ2Oi1qIBi-Vp2Kbi_uh5RiiIidEZoJb4AbL4Q8dV1N3uVtabA87j7rKP1BsKmKRYrXam0AUEjHGufxbsEeSi2sXD4zHsYOCRh3M

Trup1aya

So excited for the future of Gears, they've done so many things right- it truly feels like the coalition understands the franchise they control.

I think 343 has the best intentions but they keep standing in their own way. I'm willing to assume MS had a heavy hand in the 'focus group' nature of H4. But a Halo 5 was 343s baby, do the number of conflicting decisions made during development baffle me.

Halo dev commandments:

1: Never launch a halo title without Splitscreen
2: Never launch a halo title without LAN support
3: Never launch a halo title with just 3 arena gametypes
4: Never manage playlists with the expectation that Esports players and the 'casually competitive' can be satisfied by universal settings
6: Never launch a halo title without BTB. Never treat BTB like an afterthought (also pistol starts)
7: Never ignore party sizes in the matchmaking process
8: Learn how to tell a coherent story- one that doesn't require external knowledge.
9: Put some thought into they blockouts of DLC maps. (My god Molten is so bad)
10: Have a classic firefight mode

It just feels like 343 was so pressed on making their own mark in the franchise (60fps, Warzone, Promethean enemies, dedicated servers) that they implemented things at the expense of core tenants.

The Coalition has the right approach. First make sure you can show you understand Gears before you start making dramatic changes.

Ade

Your daughter loves watching HCS?

Yup. Odd but true, she's probably more interested in it than I am.

She's of that generation where there's no distinction between esports and traditional sports. She enjoys playing netball and watching it, same with athletics and halo.

the malus

Neo Member
I'm not really sure what to think of the new breakout. On one hand I hate how it is now basically shotgun only but then I had some games where I managed to keep out of range and completely wrecked with the pistol. It was really satisfiying to bait the enemy into the open and see them struggle to get closer while being shot at. But then again i'm just a dirty plat so this will certainly not be the case in higher levels.

Bonus Pro Tip:
You can escape death from a stuck plasma by clipping into a wall

Trup1aya

I have yet to encounter these shotgun only matches in Breakout....

The majority of my kills have come from precision weapons.

Edit: I mean I've had a few people try to rush me with a shot gun, but it's pretty easy to mow them down. I also avoid blind cornering unless I can get a call out or grenade hit marker.

Nowise10

I have yet to encounter these shotgun only matches in Breakout....

The majority of my kills have come from precision weapons.

Edit: I mean I've had a few people try to rush me with a shot gun, but it's pretty easy to mow them down. I also avoid blind cornering unless I can get a call out or grenade hit marker.

When I'm done with school today I can get footage from the two games I played if they are still saved in my theater history.

Trup1aya

When I'm done with school today I can get footage from the two games I played if they are still saved in my theater history.

I'd love to see it. It's not that I don't believe it happens, I just can't understand why it would be an effective strategy.

psyfi

Banned
I finally got a functioning mic again and plan on playing a bunch tonight. Let's party up b o y s and comrades of other genders.

BizzyBum

I finally got a functioning mic again and plan on playing a bunch tonight. Let's party up b o y s and comrades of other genders.

I'll try to be on but I'll be off at Midnight for Gears.

Provided the trains aren't an absolute git, I've got a nice surprise for my daughter (12) lined up for early December

y3msKPbSYhTE8gUwgMdXdcuo_2KiO4AJT0Qzjh-ko_fbj6WvJ0xIc0_dTb5X6CoUldPUc5vipHsQ2Oi1qIBi-Vp2Kbi_uh5RiiIidEZoJb4AbL4Q8dV1N3uVtabA87j7rKP1BsKmKRYrXam0AUEjHGufxbsEeSi2sXD4zHsYOCRh3M

Nice! I would love to attend one of these but I'm in NY and they are all west coast. :(

AlStrong

Looks the same. Doesn't look worse.

Would be nice if they experimented with some superficial enhancements to the graphics (besides FOV & 60Hz animations). Improved AO, particles, other AA filters (SMAA, temporal supersampling etc), different shadow techniques, more dynamic lights (from weapons).

Nowise10

I'd love to see it. It's not that I don't believe it happens, I just can't understand why it would be an effective strategy.

My first 30 seconds of new Breakout
My 2nd round of new Breakout

2nd match wasn't as bad as this, with me getting a couple magnum kills, but people were still crouching/sprinting with shotguns, including me, for a fast majority of the match. It is just so lame killing and getting killed instantly and doesn't improve anything in the slightest.

Getting these clips also reminded me how broken Halo 5's theater is. Why does it change perspectives if I die, or when a round changes? When you start the film, it isn't even on your perspective. This game is ridiculous

Adam "Clap" who is big part of MLG posted this on Beyond:

Competitive Halo has never been my scene, so I can't pretend to be super knowledgeable, but what a fucking clusterfuck.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if a good deal of this partnership stuff is out of 343's hands and falls into the lap of a marketing team at MS. I'm sure it's super convoluted on who holds the power over these decisions, and I can't imagine those at 343 aren't sympathetic or just as frustrated as those involved on the other side of the scene.

Would be nice if they experimented with some superficial enhancements to the graphics (besides FOV & 60Hz animations). Improved AO, particles, other AA filters (SMAA, temporal supersampling etc), different shadow techniques, more dynamic lights (from weapons).

I'd take enemies at a distance being more than 15 fps. Keep the bar low.

Trup1aya

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46604008&postcount=49

People forgot that

1) MLG crushed small leagues by persuing exclusive deals

2) They wanted to lock everyone else out of Halo and got outbid by a bigger company and tried, and failed, to portray Virgin as a bad guy back then when they were trying to do the same thing to everyone else

The difference is it was through MLGs blood sweat and tears that Halo Esports was a thing. It's no surprised they wanted to treat it like their baby.

Still, there past practices don't justify 343's disdain for MLG. The success of HCS should be more important that shunning MLG. This behavior does nothing but harm the product. The Coalitions approach puts HCS to shame.

What's really funny about it all, is during season 1 Adam posted how he would have approached running HCS, and Timo came in and expressed how ESL had fundamental differences in their approach to making a viable scene for AMs to mature into pros.
Then Season 2 is announced, and 343/ESL aped Adams idea almost exactly, but with an Amatuerish exectution.

Madness

Yup. Odd but true, she's probably more interested in it than I am.

She's of that generation where there's no distinction between esports and traditional sports. She enjoys playing netball and watching it, same with athletics and halo.

My little cousin told me that 7 people in his elementary class last year had written they wanted to be a twitch streamer or youtube vlogger when they grew up. Thats how quick times change. No actor, athlete, astronaut, but a Pewdiepie or Summ1t.

Akai__

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46604008&postcount=49

People forgot that

1) MLG crushed small leagues by persuing exclusive deals

2) They wanted to lock everyone else out of Halo and got outbid by a bigger company and tried, and failed, to portray Virgin as a bad guy back then when they were trying to do the same thing to everyone else

Why does this matter?

What has Virgin done for Halo? 1 tournament and 1 insane competetion, where they encouraged people to play 24/7? All to win a Ford Halo Truck and something like winning your own face in a future Halo game, if you grinded Spartan Ops? What a great job they have done.

MLG, on the other hand, has done a lot for Halo. 10 years of tournaments that were perfectly organized and that had great viewing experiences. Pros hardly complained and they worked very close with Bungie. Nothing comes even close to them, when we are talking about Halo tournaments.

Karl2177

Getting these clips also reminded me how broken Halo 5's theater is. Why does it change perspectives if I die, or when a round changes? When you start the film, it isn't even on your perspective. This game is ridiculous

I haven't figured out why it changes perspective while you're still alive, but I have found out though that anytime you are "dead" and it can't find a body, it'll change perspective. So when a round ends, it kills you but there's no body so it keeps looking until it finds one(this is whoever happens to be the game's first spawn) or if you get disintegrated by a Promethean effect(it'll jump to whoever is next on the game's internal list). It's also dumb that once you die you can't go back to your body's floating cam.

BizzyBum

My little cousin told me that 7 people in his elementary class last year had written they wanted to be a twitch streamer or youtube vlogger when they grew up. Thats how quick times change. No actor, athlete, astronaut, but a Pewdiepie or Summ1t.

Wow, that is pretty wild if you think about it.

FyreWulff

The difference is it was through MLGs blood sweat and tears that Halo Esports was a thing. It's no surprised they wanted to treat it like their baby.

They also locked their own community out of updating their own community playlist. I wanted a set up where the actual MLG community would get to vote on and push maps up to the MLG playlist after MLG abandoned it, and all MLG had to do was give final yes/no.. they had zero heavy lifting to do ..all the final cert testing would be handled by CCs/343/Bungie (and that's all it'd be, just making sure the map wouldn't set a 360 on fire, no creative changes).. they didn't want to do it.

And there was actual demand. Forgers in the MLG community did exist and I helped them test their maps all the time. MLG snuffed that portion of their community out for no other reason than arbitrary ego bs. MLG being under the "Community" tab in Halo was a complete farce.

This was a night and day difference between them and the other "corporate owned" playlist in Halo, Grifball, where community content got in regularly alongside the official maps.

Instead of embracing and growing their community, they insisted on pretending they'd be the only game in town and that changes and direction would be top-down. I personally did not enjoy the later MLG settings but that community got screwed over by their own leaders. They pushed too far at the corporate level and now you see every publisher running their own leagues because it gives pubs more complete vertical integration and control over the public perception of their game.

MLG, on the other hand, has done a lot for Halo. 10 years of tournaments that were perfectly organized and that had great viewing experiences. Pros hardly complained and they worked very close with Bungie. Nothing comes even close to them, when we are talking about Halo tournaments.

And yet they still pissed it all away with their arrogant corporate governance. Wasting all your money securing 100% exclusive rights through brute force, crushing small comp leagues and arbitrarily releasing initial settings instead of organically figuring out where a game is going burned a notably sized group in their community. My ire is 100% aimed at their corp governance, not the community members that put in effort.

malfcn

Boo.

Firefight. Had to defend and we did. And had to idle until the next round. But the game booted me for idling. And used my RP jackpot bonus. Weak.

Top Bottom