• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Trup1aya

They also locked their own community out of updating their own community playlist. I wanted a set up where the actual MLG community would get to vote on and push maps up to the MLG playlist after MLG abandoned it, and all MLG had to do was give final yes/no.. they had zero heavy lifting to do ..all the final cert testing would be handled by CCs/343/Bungie (and that's all it'd be, just making sure the map wouldn't set a 360 on fire, no creative changes).. they didn't want to do it.

And there was actual demand. Forgers in the MLG community did exist and I helped them test their maps all the time. MLG snuffed that portion of their community out for no other reason than arbitrary ego bs. MLG being under the "Community" tab in Halo was a complete farce.

This was a night and day difference between them and the other "corporate owned" playlist in Halo, Grifball, where community content got in regularly alongside the official maps.

Instead of embracing and growing their community, they insisted on pretending they'd be the only game in town and that changes and direction would be top-down. I personally did not enjoy the later MLG settings but that community got screwed over by their own leaders. They pushed too far at the corporate level and now you see every publisher running their own leagues because it gives pubs more complete vertical integration and control over the public perception of their game.

And yet they still pissed it all away with their arrogant corporate governance. Wasting all your money securing 100% exclusive rights through brute force, crushing small comp leagues and arbitrarily releasing initial settings instead of organically figuring out where a game is going burned a notably sized group in their community. My ire is 100% aimed at their corp governance, not the community members that put in effort.

I'm not going to pretend that MLG was a perfect organization back then. But looking at how they have been operating COD and how they have structured Gears 4, it's hard to argue that halo Esports would have been better off with their involvement now. Ironically, 343 is doing their best OG MLG impression right now, except it's less effective...

MLG was offering to work with ESL to handle live open events for HCS. 343/ESL told them no because pros competing in the same tournaments impedes obstructs AMs path to the pro level. They told them that they could only participate in HCS events if they were AM only. A nonsensical crock of shit.

Then a few months later 343 announce that they are inviting Pros to HCS open tournaments. But it's in fucking Orange County Cali, in the middle of the roster transition period, so only 22 teams (4 pro) are showing up. It's a joke.

You just know MLG would have planned it all better.

There's no reason 343 should be holding a grudge against MLG anyway. Most of those issues were during the Bungie era, and Halo 4 was handed to a different TO (who was woefully inferior to MLG). Was essentially barred from MCC. MLG hasn't been able to do much with Halo 5 ( though the best presentations thus far, XGames and NA regionals, were handled by MLG). I don't see the justification here.

Trup1aya

My first 30 seconds of new Breakout
My 2nd round of new Breakout

2nd match wasn't as bad as this, with me getting a couple magnum kills, but people were still crouching/sprinting with shotguns, including me, for a fast majority of the match. It is just so lame killing and getting killed instantly and doesn't improve anything in the slightest.

Getting these clips also reminded me how broken Halo 5's theater is. Why does it change perspectives if I die, or when a round changes? When you start the film, it isn't even on your perspective. This game is ridiculous

Thanks for the vid. I think a lot of the issue would be fixed with a little bit more team coordination. You were playing solo weren't you? It seemed like no one was watching anyone else's back, and all 4 of you ran out w/o a plan. Those random approaches lend themselves to shotgun assaults IMO.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Can't wait for the LAN this weekend, shame there's no EG though, the team and Ninja is a big draw in itself.

Gonna miss Luminosity and Allegiance too :/

The FFA is shaping up to be incredible. In talking to the pros, it seems like most are going to compete, and we've got a good number of FFA players who've registered just for the FFA itself. Can't wait to see who's in the final matches.

After the FFA we've got a really cool show match too. We'll take 2 random VIP ticket holders, and they'll draft their favorite Halo pros (dodge ball style) and then they'll play some matches on stream. Going to be super cool!

Bsigg12

Listening to the Halo 5 soundtrack while working on spreadsheets and taking notes for next week is almost too exciting. It's such a good soundtrack and hope that 6 is just as good.

belushy

Banned
Gonna miss Luminosity and Allegiance too :/

The FFA is shaping up to be incredible. In talking to the pros, it seems like most are going to compete, and we've got a good number of FFA players who've registered just for the FFA itself. Can't wait to see who's in the final matches.

After the FFA we've got a really cool show match too. We'll take 2 random VIP ticket holders, and they'll draft their favorite Halo pros (dodge ball style) and then they'll play some matches on stream. Going to be super cool!

Btw what will hcs do about the UGC lan? Push back the league again? Could really hurt a few of the pro teams and really hurt the am teams.

Akai__

CuLjeoiVMAAPwXP.jpg:large

Available now.

Akai__

What is this FFA tournament? No Gamertags, but instead people are called "FFA MS <insert #1-6 here>"... You should never do this...

Karl2177

What is this FFA tournament? No Gamertags, but instead people are called "FFA MS <insert #1-6 here>"... You should never do this...
Gotta be connected to live and no one wants to pay for a gamertag to be eliminated after 1 have.

Hashtag bring back LAN

SaganIsGOAT

I always load up ONI Sword Base mission to test if the framerate has improved. It is a good metric because the games framerate shits the bed when you first start to engage the Elite atop the ramp to your right. Good lord pls be fixed

Wait so whats the size of the game with the applied update now? I don't have DLC but I just reinstalled the game and I want to know if the update installed with it.

After playing Mercy a few times it seems to provide a very nice pace in Halo 5. It's not as crazy as Coliseum or Truth, nor is it slow. I think it's a really nice addition to the map suite.

BizzyBum

After playing Mercy a few times it seems to provide a very nice pace in Halo 5. It's not as crazy as Coliseum or Truth, nor is it slow. I think it's a really nice addition to the map suite.

If they tweaked the power weapons I would rather see Mercy instead of Stasis for the HCS Winter season.

Ade

FYI, if you have EVERY REQ including all HCS skins, the new Envyus pack will strangely give you the unlisted Protector Stalwart armour.

y3mvGgm3j5p-vqY4tMRPVBbfa3nNBgU5ykyFd_aJUGxpa6K2HOrRiJi-YXjCxVyh5QDDA_Vh9aiOz44ApEIEZStnh9ykKQKlQxjI8OgxT5y-My7BXzhDNdgS_e0bXm97oGuwsuwPXyatmVanQyx-2KrnrpYdGZi1ZxAkZkzHXGWt90

According to people in the BC thread the Reach update has some good improvements.
Playing it now, there's definitely an improvement. I'd love for a 60fps Reach because shooting the DMR with bloom is fun. And yes, your eyes do not deceive you.

When Reach isn't the newest/main Halo game being played, it's fun to revisit.

BizzyBum

FYI, if you have EVERY REQ including all HCS skins, the new Envyus pack will strangely give you the unlisted Protector Stalwart armour.

I didn't even know there was hidden armor sets.

Buy a second Envy pack and see if anything else hidden gets unlocked. =P

Ade

I didn't even know there was hidden armor sets.

Buy a second Envy pack and see if anything else hidden gets unlocked. =P

I'm poor, tempted but poor.

That hidden set keeps randomly appearing on waypoint and ingame, but hasn't ever been unlockable... few people had spotted it previously

Edit fuck it, lets go:

y3mMLPqvJRwWK6YE7ZEeue8In5hvxT4-AGTBBb3P2IerWIh3D-lRoe1fJB7zwX1psYewNKkKlO5GmdYDRczhu7vDUX4Qa5iceTLpLHKruEl7x1uwM57HUQcHkb1ep0XPT1BHxB3A-hkHFukqsGrpkzIZBa2YOOpebISQNkI_HLJmXQ

Meh. Well at least I know I have all the reqs (aside from community carto and the fucking beta ones because apparently I didn't play in it...)

First BTB and it's against a full group. Final score is like 30something to 100. Most of my team just ends up quitting throughout the game. However, can't say I blame them. Oh, but I forgot it's my fault for not grouping up.

At least Super Fiesta is back, now I can rage a bit less.

First BTB and it's against a full group. Final score is like 30something to 100. Most of my team just ends up quitting throughout the game. However, can't say I blame them. Oh, but I forgot it's my fault for not grouping up.

You literally never accept a single invite. Complain more.

Edit: I'm not saying the lack of party matching is your fault. It's a problem. But so is being antisocial. Our btb/warzone lobbies always invite anyone in the company that's online to join us. Many of these people are playing the same playlists as us, but solo. Still, hardly anyone joins. Then the next day (or hour) there is a post about how bad said person finds solo queue. At a certain point, you begin to lose sympathy.

Just played a game and immediately thought of two things:
  1. It's crazy how good Halo 5 feels compared to previous Halo games, especially just after playing Reach
  2. It's crazy how they don't keep Super Fiesta as a permanent playlist because it's the perfect palette cleanser to most of Arena
Conclusion: 343 is crazy.

Just played a game and immediately thought of two things:
  1. It's crazy how good Halo 5 feels compared to previous Halo games, especially just after playing Reach
  2. It's crazy how they don't keep Super Fiesta as a permanent playlist because it's the perfect palette cleanser to most of Arena
Conclusion: 343 is crazy.

Yeah, I don't understand why they don't keep it. It seems like it's one of the more popular modes. At least throw it into Action Sack or something.

Karl2177

I hate mongoose sumo for the sole reason that everyone of my teammates is a nincompoop and my opponents have a modicum of intelligence.

Tank world is the reason why the quit ban shouldn't exist.

Top Bottom