• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Karl2177

I don't want Chief around anymore. His purpose in the original trilogy was to be a big green husk that you move around. Now he's a gravelly voice crying about his purple dinosaur girlfriend. That type of story telling doesn't work with the character who was a silent protag and I don't see 343 changing it any time soon.

All of that aside, Brian Reed and the audio team that does the dialogue have got to do a better job the next go round. It's not as bad as some of Reach's writing and delivery, but it's nowhere as good as Wincott Truth or CE sass Cortana.

Akai__

343i is good in connecting the universe that Bungie, Microsoft and several book authors left behind, I'll give them that. If you care for the lore, you can find so much stuff that got further explained (Starry Night in Hunt The Truth to name an example), but people who play the campaign and don't have that much background knowledge, are having a harder time following. I bet the normal person, wouldn't know who Jul M'dama is and why Halsey is with him, something that was introduced in Halo 4's Spartan Ops and continued in a pretty bad comic series. Just like people didn't know what or who the Didact or Librarian is. Bungie did a way better job at establishing characters, even if you didn't read the books. I never had the feel that I'd have to read up something. It was always just a nice bonus to do so and I still feel like that Forerunners were better, when they were a big mystery.

Having to play a game of a franchise to know what's up is okay, but actually having to read up on certain characters in external media to understand something is not. At least in my eyes.

If you establish a trillogy or even Saga, I wish for a comprehensive and continued story. You shouldn't do things like bringing back the main villain from Halo 4 and kill him off for real this time in a stupid comic. You also shouldn't reunite Blue Team in the comic. You also shouldn't do misleading marketing that makes it seem like the story focus is about something else and then take down the trailers for whatever reason.

Just simplified my thoughts on story writing, but I think Halo under 343i has some additional underlying problems. Gameplay and level design (especially vehicular combat) is something that I'm really not satisfied with, even if some on foot sections were really great in Halo 5. I think 343i's mindset is "bigger = better" with vehicular combat and you just have to look at the Mammoth and Kraken missions to see what I mean. I actually remember someone asking "Dual Scarabs" here on NeoGAF and Stinkles replied with something like "bigger". People were excited about that and then we got the Kraken. One of the worst "vehicles" that I've ever encountered in a Halo game.

Madness

Halo is going to sell well regardless on name alone. It may not be breaking records anymore but it's still a multi-million selling franchise. The story in H5 and Osiris were negatively received because they were poorly conceived and badly written. There's absolutely no reason why a well written set of new characters in a new story wouldn't be well received.

Also people like Buck entirely because of Nathon Fillion.

Exactly. So what makes you confident anything will change in the next go around. Halo will sell on name alone, which is why it is still called Halo. If the game was called Guardians, would it have sold? Chief is just a husk, much like Link and Samus, and like characters like Sonic or Mega Man, people just want to play as him. You remove that, and you remove a huge connection, both market wise and gameplay wise.

I love Halo. Perhaps the only game I play. I spend 95% of my time here talking about it. I talk about it when/where I can. And I am very pessimistic about the future of the series. An apathy and lack of care has set in amongst the non-hardcore fans. The series has a fraction of the intensity towards story, expanded lore, anything that it once had. You're probably right. Little Timmy 6 years from now will just want the new shooter game to play 4 weeks and then trade in or move on. He won't care who he is playing as.

Juan

Exactly. So what makes you confident anything will change in the next go around. Halo will sell on name alone, which is why it is still called Halo. If the game was called Guardians, would it have sold? Chief is just a husk, much like Link and Samus, and like characters like Sonic or Mega Man, people just want to play as him. You remove that, and you remove a huge connection, both market wise and gameplay wise.

I love Halo. Perhaps the only game I play. I spend 95% of my time here talking about it. I talk about it when/where I can. And I am very pessimistic about the future of the series. An apathy and lack of care has set in amongst the non-hardcore fans. The series has a fraction of the intensity towards story, expanded lore, anything that it once had. You're probably right. Little Timmy 6 years from now will just want the new shooter game to play 4 weeks and then trade in or move on. He won't care who he is playing as.

I feel the same, I'm also very pessimistic about the future of the series, especially when I heard from Dan Ayoub that Halo Wars 2 will be the last Halo game set in the 343 era having the good old design made by Bungie.

I really like Halo, and that's why I'm so disappointed to not appreciate Halo 5 and having it deleted from my console. Yeah, I still play the MCC and I have a ton of fun on it, but you know, after so many hours in those games since more than 10 years, I start to get a bit bored.

Honestly, I don't know if 343 will be able to make Halo great again.

jem0208

343 have demonstrated that they're able to do a good job with every important aspect of a Halo game.

Halo 4 had a decent (if a bit dense) story and a variety of content. Halo 5 has a campaign which plays really well (for the most part) and superb multiplayer.

They just need to bring it all together.

Although I'm typically pretty optimistic so...

Juan

Halo 5 has a campaign which plays really well (for the most part) and superb multiplayer.

They just need to bring it all together.

Although I'm typically pretty optimistic so...

I would say it really depends on which type of player you are.

I feel the same, I'm also very pessimistic about the future of the series, especially when I heard from Dan Ayoub that Halo Wars 2 will be the last Halo game set in the 343 era having the good old design made by Bungie.

I really like Halo, and that's why I'm so disappointed to not appreciate Halo 5 and having it deleted from my console. Yeah, I still play the MCC and I have a ton of fun on it, but you know, after so many hours in those games since more than 10 years, I start to get a bit bored.

Honestly, I don't know if 343 will be able to make Halo great again.

Well if they don't go back to the bungie design for future halo titles, then I can promise you that they'll never make a great Halo SP game

Juan

Well if they don't go back to the bungie design for future halo titles, then I can promise you that they'll never make a great Halo SP game

Well, with Halo 5, we can see they tried to go back while maintaining their visual style, so there is style some hope left!

1478821487-grunt-since-reach-halo-5.jpg

Even so, they can style make great Halo games and stories with their art style, even if it's way more generic than before (and I'm not sure they achieve their goal to make it more appealing to the younger audience actually).

Hmm, what was it he said exactly? Any links?

From what I've played/seen of Halo Wars 2, it seems more in line with 343's design than classic Halo, but I haven't really kept up with info since the beta. Trying to keep expectations low because the beta didn't really do it for me, so I'm hoping down the line I'll be surprised. Also waiting to hear more details on the HW1 remaster.

Juan

Hmm, what was it he said exactly? Any links?

From what I've played/seen of Halo Wars 2, it seems more in line with 343's design than classic Halo, but I haven't really kept up with info since the beta. Trying to keep expectations low because the beta didn't really do it for me, so I'm hoping down the line I'll be surprised. Also waiting to hear more details on the HW1 remaster.

I've been looking for this interview since 20 minutes and I still can't find it. I will continue my search and provide you a link as soon as I find it. Until that, you could absolutely consider this is a hoax and Dan never said that.

Actually, I would appreciate if 343 would bring back the old design using an excuse like "The old UNSC stuff have specific settings which can't be hacked/emp-ed by Cortana so we're going to ditch our new pelican & cie and bring back the old ones to fight back Cortana!".

Juan

How in god's name is this over 200mb? Do they use premade uncompressed .tifs for the error logs or what?

I always have wondered why the Halo 5's updates were so heavy to be honest. Last night, I wanted to bring back Halo 5 on my Xbox One and it asked for 101 Go... I said nope.

I'd love for Halo to adopt the text chatting from Gears. Displaying on team "_____ (player) stop dying" or "we need to get power-ups and power weapons" etc. would be helpful.

I think Master Chief is Halo in the same way Red is Pokemon - like, I'm cool with him showing up, but the guy needs a damn break already. Like, even more of Blue Team and them having to work without Chief would be a really interesting dynamic, but I feel like there's only so many directions you can go with Chief at this point.

Came to post that Halo 5 is randomly reinstalling itself on both my xbox ones. Seems i am not alone. Anyway to stop this without having to redownload the game to play?

mo60

Came to post that Halo 5 is randomly reinstalling itself on both my xbox ones. Seems i am not alone. Anyway to stop this without having to redownload the game to play?

Microsoft already knows about this weird glitch that is impacting some poeple while downloading updates to xbox one games.No one knows if their will be a fix for this yet. I experienced this once when I bought the digital version of this game. I already owned the physical version of the game but my xbox one decided to redownload the whole game but I stopped the download when I noticed that my xbox one was trying to redownload the entire game.

What's going on with the community? Went back after not playing for a while for a few games and 2/5 of those games my entire team quit. I was playing Team Arena by the way.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think Master Chief is Halo in the same way Red is Pokemon - like, I'm cool with him showing up, but the guy needs a damn break already. Like, even more of Blue Team and them having to work without Chief would be a really interesting dynamic, but I feel like there's only so many directions you can go with Chief at this point.

Up and forward.

Ade

we already have two bans? haha not my doing, must have been Ada.

when I block and report asshats in Halo (or any game) it gives me the option to ban them from any of my clubs... Must have done that with two particularly abusive dicks.

They weren't members, but now never can be

Chief is a classical action hero; his character is developed by his heroic feats and his interactions with supporting characters.
343 needs to stick him with a more interesting team and he'll feel fresh again.

Obviously a fitting conclusion for his character would be stopping Cortana, but I'd be surprised if they end his story there.

Oozer3993

Ventured back into the game after a moderate hiatus. I'm convinced that when I'm 80 years old, it could be years since I last played a Halo title and I could still pick up a controller and go 12 and 8 in Big Team Battle. I've played so much over the years it's burned into my cells.

I wanted to have my Making of Halo article done by the 15th anniversary, but it's becoming too big. According to Medium, I'm at 2,700 words and a 12-minute read. I'm only up to January 1st, 2000. I don't think I'm gonna make it.

Ventured back into the game after a moderate hiatus. I'm convinced that when I'm 80 years old, I could be years since I last played a Halo title and I could still pick up a controller and go 12 and 8 in Big Team Battle. The muscle memory is so deep.

I wanted to have my Making of Halo article done by the 15th anniversary, but it's becoming too big. According to Medium, I'm at 2,700 words and a 12-minute read. I'm only up to January 1st, 2000. I don't think I'm gonna make it.
Post what you have if you're willing. I'd love to read what you have.

Juan

Ventured back into the game after a moderate hiatus. I'm convinced that when I'm 80 years old, it could be years since I last played a Halo title and I could still pick up a controller and go 12 and 8 in Big Team Battle. I've played so much over the years it's burned into my cells.

I'm also writing stuff on Medium, mine are more about design (User experience & cie), and I'm actually working on a ux design starter guide for Hololens and mixed reality. Since I have started, it has been like 4000 words, so, I decided to split it into multiple parts (4 parts to be precise). And you know what, it has been way more easier for people to read it, since they were not afraid to just lost their way into a one big article and they could just start it one day and read the second part later (6 to 8 minutes reading is what I learned perform the most at keeping the user's attention).

You should probably do the same. It also helps maintaining high motivation for yourself since you can see people reading what you first started to write and adjust thing if it's not clear for the next part.

Share big things as soon as possible to get feedback and don't be afraid to split it into multiple parts to make it more accessible. :)

Just some advices as I would be very happy to read the thing you're writing.

Fuchsdh

Chief is a classical action hero; his character is developed by his heroic feats and his interactions with supporting characters.
343 needs to stick him with a more interesting team and he'll feel fresh again.

Obviously a fitting conclusion for his character would be stopping Cortana, but I'd be surprised if they end his story there.

We'll see how long this Reclaimer Saga goes on. You could wrap it up in a game, or they could make it into much more of a galaxy-spanning odyssey. A lot will depend on what form they want the campaign to take.

They've pretty much sealed up the multiplayer as "mock fights on random places we envisioned!" so it's not like that will need any changing.

Well, with Halo 5, we can see they tried to go back while maintaining their visual style, so there is style some hope left!

Even so, they can style make great Halo games and stories with their art style, even if it's way more generic than before (and I'm not sure they achieve their goal to make it more appealing to the younger audience actually).

I wish they'd go back to the more angular "classic" Grunt look. Halo Reach started the trend of weirder backpacks but the more bulbous ones just aren't as cool-looking and distinctive to me.

Top Bottom