• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Fuchsdh

I can't. I'm too busy appeasing casuals and pros with bobble heads.

I hear all of Halo's sustain team is currently working on Loot Crate t-shirts, can you confirm or doubly confirm that rumor? I'm asking for a friend.
The friend is Kotaku.

BizzyBum

I can't. I'm too busy appeasing casuals and pros with bobble heads.

Are we getting more pro team skins? Might as well represent every team
and make money

Also, when the grunt flies across space on the main menu it means someone hit SR 152. Confirm or deny?

MEME.

Jesus.

Wow.

Apart from me and Juny, obviously. That's the realest.

Oh Hi Frank good to see you my friend hey congratulations on the mannequin challenge video it was awesome (you looked good as always) it's good to see that Angel Villeda is still there if you can say Hi to him for me

dont worry jorge you still have a chance

Jorge had his chance. No hagas una promesa a una chica, si no puedes mantenerla.

giphy.gif

Freshly made GIF just four our dear community

Detective

Dude, you have the worst luck with full teams. LOL

lol yeah. I dont know man. I took a break, played some batman, went back because I missed it, bam.

I quit tye last game now, I couldn't take it. Takes too much energy. Before the last game the whole team quit and I stayed. The game before that too against a party cuz I knew them.

Next update: Search preference: Fucking solo.

Trup1aya

I think a reality show is a waste of money when we still don't have MLG hosting competent LANS.

I can't imagine they'd sign off on a show off, if they weren't confident they could improve the LANs. Otherwise it would just highlight their weaknesses.

If you read the article "we" aren't actually making it.

This is like when folks complain that the reason we have bloom on DMR is because of an action figure.

I should stop typing this so I can make a six wheeled arctic Hog.

Lazy devs.

Ah well that changes things. I will say though, they need to launch it at the same time as a game, i find its a bit late for that now. Its when the hype is at its fullest, usually before launch, this is when you get people to watch this type of stuff.

Their timing is a bit off. Also, will it be available on live?

E92 M3

I can't imagine they'd sign off on a show off, if they weren't confident they could improve the LANs. Otherwise it would just highlight their weaknesses.

After the Vegas LAN and MCC - I am in a constant state of skepticism. I love competitive Halo and want to see it succeed, but if we look at how Coalition is handling Gears compared to 343, the differences are stark.

It all becomes an even better joke, when you realize that ESL and Pilgrim are partners...

Yep, which makes the picture even clearer.

Akai__

Eh, Higher ups at Microsoft probably told him to not say anything about the MCC. Otherwise, we would have gotten something long ago, don't you think?

Madness

I think ultimately the HCS show is a good thing. Gives more exposure to pros and grows the scene. More people knowing Snip3down or Lethul or Ninja or Spartan or Pistola, means more gamers watching their streams, scrims, being interested in competitive Halo.

Look at how much OpTic Vision episodes get in terms of views. People watch streamers all the time. Supposedly the guys who made Ultimate Fighter for UFC are looking into it. Could be interesting. These days, any news for Halo is good news considering how diminished the series is now in popular culture and mindshare.

The HCS reality show is awesome because it's another revenue stream to fund and support competitive Halo.

If successful, it can bring notoriety to Halo pros which will improve sponsorships.

Akai__

Stinkles is one of the higher ups. I'm still very bitter over getting scammed $60.

Of 343i maybe, but not of Microsoft Studios. If you want to stay in a certain position, it's best to not piss off your publisher and other higher ups.

And of course people are still bitter. It's their right to be.

wwm0nkey

There is part of me that hopes there has been no news on MCC because they are working on a PC version and will release a big patch with that. I'll be off in my fantasy land while I wait for this to happen.

I mean that Halo app showed it was being worked on, but who knows what's going on with that

Trup1aya

After the Vegas LAN and MCC - I am in a constant state of skepticism. I love competitive Halo and want to see it succeed, but if we look at how Coalition is handling Gears compared to 343, the differences are stark.

Yep, which makes the picture even clearer.

Oh i agree. Im just thinking they'd try to improve on those things before they broadcast their insufficiencies on tv.

I hope they are learning from mlg and the coalition and applying what they learn.

jelly

This is like when folks complain that the reason we have bloom on DMR is because of an action figure.

Lazy devs.

Six wheels, nah. Still waiting for this.

Snow_Warthog_by_gxshadow.jpg

Can we get snow like this in Halo 6. What a multiplayer map that would be. Name it Raptor.....after the dog or that Lost World scene.

dog-in-snow.gif

BizzyBum

Yeah, against all odds is broke in action sack. Just won a 1v4 in paintball and didn't get it, yet I randomly get it in Tank World when it's even teams.

E92 M3

Of 343i maybe, but not of Microsoft Studios. If you want to stay in a certain position, it's best to not piss off your publisher and other higher ups.

And of course people are still bitter. It's their right to be.

Yeah, I understand. It's just not good to make promises that can't be kept. Oh well.

Oh i agree. Im just thinking they'd try to improve on those things before they broadcast their insufficiencies on tv.

I hope they are learning from mlg and the coalition and applying what they learn.

Hopefully, but so far it doesn't seem like it. The pro league finals are only 4 teams - that LAN could have been so much better. Also, we don't have real LAN support without 343 bringing their own gear.

We can only hope that Halo 6 is different.

Yeah, I understand. It's just not good to make promises that can't be kept. Oh well.

Hopefully, but so far it doesn't seem like it. The pro league finals are only 4 teams - that LAN could have been so much better. Also, we don't have real LAN support without 343 bringing their own gear.

Im still not quite sure why they didnt just make custom games peer to peer + LAN play instead of dedicated servers. I mean i love having servers for everything, but was it really necessary for customs?

Lazy devs.

Speaking from the fan perspective, we can't really see what siloed corporate units you guys are working in, so actually it does look pretty fucking stupid that parts of your flagship product (an interactive entertainment software of some sort) are degrading while we are being sold a reality TV show.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Im still not quite sure why they didnt just make custom games peer to peer + LAN play instead of dedicated servers. I mean i love having servers for everything, but was it really necessary for customs?

possibly a victim of a development during microsoft's "always online" xbone days?

jem0208

I really can't get over how good Strongholds is.

It is in my eyes an almost perfect game mode. I absolutely love it.

Jesus, I just got a Rampage and a Killing frenzy in BTB going 36 and 7 and we still lost. I had some seriously shitty teammates.

FyreWulff

because the game is engineered around using dedicated servers and online and customs have always been the same code/networking.

BizzyBum

I'm having shit luck with immortals today. Only have 1 whereas yesterday got about 8.

I'm starting to forget what real Halo plays like.

Trup1aya

Microsoft doesn't allow system link support on Xbox one, only Gears have it.

Why would MS 'allow' Gears and not Halo, it's signiture franchise.

I think the difference is The Coalition lobbied for it and 343 didn't see the need to.

Well they couldn't exactly change the finals format after it had been announced. But reading Timo's comments on Team Beyond it looks like future Seasons will have more teams participate in finals.

I doubt the need for special hardware for Live events will change, but I still see no reason why they couldn't allow us to use an extra Xbox as a server.

Still after Vegas I'd be surprised if the next opens didn't have WAY more stations.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Why would MS 'allow' Gears and not Halo, it's signiture franchise.

I think the difference is The Coalition lobbied for it and 343 didn't see the need to.

Again though MS did a 180 on their pre and immediately post launch always online stance. Halo 5 was in development under the always online mantle. Gears came after the change of heart / coming to reason.

Trup1aya

Again though MS did a 180 on their pre and immediately post launch always online stance. Halo 5 was in development under the always online mantle. Gears came after the change of heart / coming to reason.

That doesn't explain it away. The always online mandate was never 'always' online. It was one license check every 24hrs

There's no reason that a game couldn't have been designed to handle match data locally via p2p, but occasionally authenticate with xbox live.
Don't KI and Gears UE work this way?

And even if always online was to blame, this is the second halo release since the xb1 launched. There's no excuse to not remove the limitation. If not p2p functionality, then we should be able to host via an extra xbox or pc.

Edit: here's what Rod said about LAN support for Gears UE (which came out before H5)

System link kind of went away with this generation, but we just explained [to Microsoft] the importance of this to us," Fergusson said in an interview with GameSpot regarding LAN support in Gears of War: Ultimate Edition. "Competitive players want to be able to go to a hotel ballroom and have an event, and LAN support is an important part of that, so we just pushed on it and we got that exception."

If 343 would have expressed the importance of LAN to MS for Halo, there's no way they wouldn't have gotten an exception as well

I really can't get over how good Strongholds is.

It is in my eyes an almost perfect game mode. I absolutely love it.

Jesus, I just got a Rampage and a Killing frenzy in BTB going 36 and 7 and we still lost. I had some seriously shitty teammates.

No, it's objective being basically territories 2.x once again. Who likes to stand in one spot while getting attacked? Rinse and repeat for the rest of the game. Supposedly it's great for ranked team strats they say, bullshit solo/buddy players ain't loving it. Just admit you like to farm kills and medals from that shit.

Flag and bomb require more teamwork and are far more interesting when playing solo/buddy. They also promote varied replays and map movement etc. I just don't get the love for territories based crap in objective. You're crazy mate.

EDIT: Take a look at some of the new objective modes in TF2 such as Bounty Hunt. Banks that cycle for extra points, highlighted enemy targets for higher bounties that require teamwork and all while basically keeping the same slayer modes in play. That's innovation for objective while appeasing the core slayer based crowd. Territories based crap isn't innovative at all, it lacks creativity and replayability. Since Reach's layered unlock stages approach with Invasion we've gone backwards for objective. WZ and REQs and the maps are sweet but the actual objectives lack dynamism by comparison.

Trup1aya

No, it's objective being basically territories 2.x once again. Who likes to stand in one spot while getting attacked? Rinse and repeat for the rest of the game. Supposedly it's great for ranked team strats they say, bullshit solo/buddy players ain't loving it. Just admit you like to farm kills and medals from that shit.

Flag and bomb require more teamwork and are far more interesting when playing solo/buddy. They also promote varied replays and map movement etc. I just don't get the love for territories based crap in objective. You're crazy mate.

EDIT: Take a look at some of the new objective modes in TF2 such as Bounty Hunt. Banks that cycle for extra points, highlighted enemy targets for higher bounties that require teamwork and all while basically keeping the same slayer modes in play. That's innovation for objective while appeasing the core slayer based crowd. Territories based crap isn't innovative at all, it lacks creativity and replayability. Since Reach's layered unlock stages approach with Invasion we've gone backwards for objective. WZ and REQs and the maps are sweet but the actual objectives lack dynamism by comparison.

If this is your strongholds strategy, you are doing wrong. The game is all about properly timed rotations. There's PLENTY of movement and team work in a well played strongholds match.

Top Bottom