• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Nebula

At least the Mongoose was only improved as the series progressed. You should get into Goosing bigshow. You'll never have to worry about it being nerfed! Hell it's even getting GUNS!

not a joke post

Absolutely, but the weapon counters didn't determine the outcome of every firefight, like they do in later Halo games. There were role-specific weapons and the utility weapon.

That's what I mean by "differently" balanced. Most other games (or, at least, most other games I've played) have a little more... give to them. Like, you can use a one of a selection of utility weapons, some of which will be more effective in some situations than others. I dunno, maybe that's just unnecessary redundancy.

Scrub-a-dub-dub

Throwin' LANs in a tub.

I don't know either.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Why do people get offended by the term scrub?

Noob, scrub, doesn't matter what you label it, someone who complains about getting beat over and over by something and doesn't learn to adapt or think of a new strategy is a scrub.

It's like people who complain about their jobs over and over and over...do something about it...

Scrub, like a pharmacist scrub outfit??

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win

Not

1308000354_1378514153.jpg

Noob, scrub, doesn't matter what you label it, someone who complains about getting beat over and over by something and doesn't learn to adapt or think of a new strategy is a scrub.

It's like people who complain about their jobs over and over and over...do something about it...
Why do you keep posting things that scrubs agree with?

Ramirez

Because like I said, we're all scrubs.

Sephzilla

timetostopposting.jpg

Man, HaloGAF is on form this evening!

Enjoyed seeing the Halo CE footage - I also played a lot of CE LAN, the pistol was fine, once everyone understood it's purpose.

But the scrub stuff? We're all scrubs.

Sephzilla

im so much for this!
at least let us custom search within the boundaries of possible games within each playlist

I actually think I want this more than any custom games browser. being able to jump into BTB and say, for example, "only put me in games that use halo 1-2 maps" would be great

Fuchsdh

Why did people think we weren't getting Halo PC? Combat Evolved Anniversary was built on Halo PC, they said we'd be getting all the PC maps... this doesn't seem surprising at all.

Sephzilla

Why did people think we weren't getting Halo PC? Combat Evolved Anniversary was built on Halo PC, they said we'd be getting all the PC maps... this doesn't seem surprising at all.

Yeah, when they said the PC maps were going to be included that was pretty much a stealth confirmation that it was the PC build in my honest opinion.

Trasher

That was my alt too. Kappa
Maybe if I had as much time to play as you my alt would be as geared as yours, scrub. I notice you not posting the other raid with our MAIN characters. SCRUBLORD CONFIRMED!

Can't wait for MCC to remind you who the scrub king really is!

I started this and could almost not stop. More of an engineer than a designer but some of my thoughts after scrolling around Waypoint -

Irony that is not lost on me - lists, and lists on GAF in particular look kinda poor, so this is hard to read

The Good:
  • colouring on is an improvement, brighter and more pleasant, especially on main pages with images
  • initial impressions indicate it being more readable
  • "good enough" coverage of the different aspects of the franchise
  • store feels integrated and not a separate application [even if it is just a bunch of links out]
  • Personal Twitter, twitch, fb seeding for profile pages
  • Seems good on mobile, responsive on S4 & iPod Touch 5G
  • Good (from my biased eyes) localisation support, German, Spanish and on day one to boot
  • Entertaining / self-aware error page
  • baksheesh font does work better as a subtitle / subheader

The Bad:
  • You can report someone for posting in a non-English language?!?
  • Bit heavy on the 'aul social media hooks, share this page to reddit (and on a profile page in particular)
  • Search does not seem to do partials ("zeouter" returns naught, "zeouterlimits" returns plenty)
  • Age verifiers, very 2011
  • Service record takes up a lot of space with little information, I'm hoping this will improve with MCC & Halo 5
  • Why oh why do you need to login to view stats? Seriously. Again and again, this is not a new frustration.
    Engagement through quality and appeal, not by forcing it.

The "Ugly":
  • Search prompt split to only get forum results, why just forums? [or rather why have the forum split out as an option when it features prominently in the all search] Search metrics led decision?
  • Search page needs better sectioning between User Profile, General and Forums, blends too much
  • Because of lack of partials, only one exact Gamertag result? [I may be wrong]
  • heroic font does not always work as a title, doesn't look great on very white pages like Search and Profiles [BIO, ALL BADGES, etc]
  • The grey hover on the homepage button is hard to see / not great to look at
  • Full screen in IE10 leaves a thin white bar at the bottom
  • 343I logo linking to career page rather than company page, when the other logos next to it do not, jobs textual link very nearby
  • Tiny amount of avatars, none I like (why is the Halo one all bright / cloudy?)
  • Display badges UI - clearly early
  • Profile page, "All Badges" was in German for me [en-us in url, changing to en-ie fixed it, changing it back to en-us set it back to German] (update - it's now in Spanish..)
  • qtype-pro_seext-bold does not work as the HALO GAMERSCORE number font, looks so much better without the bold
  • I kept on running into that qtype bold on the service record too, get rid of the bold on it in general
  • Do not use heroic as the title font in the forums oh-god-why
  • Alright, I understand the unique typography intention but after 30 minutes of looking around the site heroic is quickly becoming the new baksheesh. It works in some places, not everywhere

A few other thoughts:
  1. "Universe Encyclopedia"?
  2. How will the above encyclopedia integrate into the design template, is it it's own embedded application? Leveraging tech and lore to be used in the Halo Channel too?
    Or am I building it up to be something it's not?
  3. How will kills and stats from the different MCC titles work into the existing pages? Will Halo their individual stats pages become more verbose with all this new data?
  4. I've always felt this design template is more used as a company homepage, but perhaps Halo itself is a mini-company. Or rather this is a feature rich site 343 company page in a sense?
  5. About / Contact Us pages ousted from style guide?
  6. How does it decide what avatar to use before you've chosen? Randomly assigned?
  7. Compare me option for Service Records in the planning? On mobile you can't easily switch back and forth between you and someone else.

That's enough for now I think..

VinFTW

Yeah, I wanted to sit back with my popcorn and enjoy this thread, but I gotta be honest... Just seems like it was obvious it was going to be PC.

shrugs

I actually think I want this more than any custom games browser. being able to jump into BTB and say, for example, "only put me in games that use halo 1-2 maps" would be great

id say this also has the highest chance to be implemented and makes the most sense to have
at least to have the option to pick the Halo Title(s) of choice, picking the map could already become problematic

a true custom search would mean you could eg also search for 1v1s, which arent part of any playlist
it would require to find other players searching for the very same game right at that point, which becomes rather problematic once people search for stuff like "lockout - race - rockets only"
besides that this would split the playerbase far too much

(and imagine what kind of game you'd have if it were ONLY designed for elite level players)
To be fair, Halo CE wasn't designed only for elite players though, but it's arguably the most competitive and most accessible Halo game (instead of being heavily weighed in either favor). Whereas Halo 2 felt like it was mostly designed for "casual" players, but good post. That last bit about fun is very important IMO.
Great read because it hits right in the feelers. Reminds me of the Smash 64 players still hosting tournaments on N64's and CRT's around the world lol. We live it, outsiders don't believe it, but we'll all lose if Halo 3 has the largest population.

Top Bottom