• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

That stench - I've smelled it before

F7lMMEC.png

Definitely provided by an ad company then. Half the requests that we got at my work were to write songs that sounded similar enough to a song from a film so that the company who was selling the product didn't have to payout large sums/royalties to composers/artists.

Where did/do you work? I want to work there :(

I once produced a commercial for a pre-workout at my company and I wrote my own music for it. But that's as cool as the opportunities get here.

It's so amazing how this game looks exactly like how my mind remembered Halo 2 looking. Saber even got the look of the Forerunner structures right, I was fearing they'd be using that overly bright stuff again.

It's so amazing how this game looks exactly like how my mind remembered Halo 2 looking. Saber even got the look of the Forerunner structures right, I was fearing they'd be using that overly bright stuff again.

Yeah... That... Makes me sad about halo 1 anniversary... Killed the atmosphere for me.

AlStrong

Gotta say I love the look of that level. It's nice to see some spots actually darkened a bit and some atmosphere added to them like the flckering lights. Always thought spots in that level seemed way too bright for the atmosphere they were trying to achieve.

Are you sure it's not just the black crush?

Happy to oblige. Noticed a pattern in his gameplay in the vid where he threw a nade at the ground every time he saw an enemy. ADS scrub

Of course, I know plenty of people where it's literally always their first response to throw a nade. But that's a whole different breed of #scrub and they at least try to have some arc to the throw usually.

darthbob

In the original Halo 2, the animators goofed and Spark turns his light off when he talks instead of turning it on whenever he says words.

Staten also pointed it out in the commentary from H3 Legendary

Oh man you're right. Funnily enough I actually watched the H2 Developer's Commentary just the other night.

Madness

Damn, the CGI is soooooo good! That is reference quality work and I hope all wikis, halopedia, all things are updated with Blur cinematics as representations of the races, places, people etc. Seeing a fully detailed jackal of the old design was great.

AlStrong

No. It's actual atmosphere. They intentionally darkened some fo the hallways and added some flickering lights.

Some of the hallways already had flickering lights (particularly the ones that did cast real-time shadows in the original).

edit:

It's not that I don't believe you (Library CEA had quite a bit better lighting/shadowing).

I was too late for the Arbiter/Oracle stream, but the original wasn't without flickering lights either (carefully placed for performance). If they've got that everywhere, then yeah, that's good they followed up on that.

Of course, I know plenty of people where it's literally always their first response to throw a nade. But that's a whole different breed of #scrub and they at least try to have some arc to the throw usually.

You are getting a big "oh" from me when you step on one of your own grenades one day.
∩(︶▽︶)∩

Damn, the CGI is soooooo good! That is reference quality work and I hope all wikis, halopedia, all things are updated with Blur cinematics as representations of the races, places, people etc. Seeing a fully detailed jackal of the old design was great.

Is there any clarification why there is not a CG halo movie in the works? We have seen time & again how well the universe looks in different media. Even Anime style.

FyreWulff

No. It's actual atmosphere. They intentionally darkened some fo the hallways and added some flickering lights.

That's probably from the original. Halo 2 is weird in that there's a few hallways/spots in the game where there's real time lighting everywhere, but not anywhere else in the level.

Like that one spot in Regret where you're in the underwater hallway and the water is shimmering on you.

So of course H2A's layer is going to make those spots jump out even more.

edit: a lot of the FW/Sandbox objects are based off this area here.

antigoon

I absolutely LOVE what 343 is doing with the Halo Championship Series. It definitely speaks to some of the points I raised earlier in this thread about 343 taking ownership over the competitive experience.

We can only hope that the resident pros in the office work to ensure good settings and gametypes.

AlStrong

That's probably from the original. Halo 2 is weird in that there's a few hallways/spots in the game where there's real time lighting everywhere, but not anywhere else in the level.

Like that one spot in Regret where you're in the underwater hallway and the water is shimmering on you.

Yup. :) usually in those corners going down/up, IIRC. I remember jumping up and down just to see the real-time shadows. XD (and low res shadowmap & filtering).

I absolutely LOVE what 343 is doing with the Halo Championship Series. It definitely speaks to some of the points I raised earlier in this thread about 343 taking ownership over the competitive experience.

We can only hope that the resident pros in the office work to ensure good settings and gametypes.

and no radar right

ElRenoRaven

edit: a lot of the FW/Sandbox objects are based off this area here.

Hmm. Odd I never remember the flickering lights. Course it's been awhile since I played. I've taken the year off from Halo just for this very moment. Weird

You are getting a big "oh" from me when you step on one of your own grenades one day.
∩(︶▽︶)∩

This has literally never happened to me. I have this weird thing where I see a nade, especially where I'm the person throwing it, and I don't walk towards it.

No seriously, my response time and awareness was literally never this terrible.

#HaloGAFelitism
#Idontfeelsafehere
#Exclusionarytactics

This has literally never happened to me. I have this weird thing where I see a nade, especially where I'm the person throwing it, and I don't walk towards it.

No seriously, my response time and awareness was literally never this terrible.

#HaloGAFelitism
#Idontfeelsafehere
#Exclusionarytactics

Maybe not that exactly, but you will accidentally bounce a grenade off the wall into your own face or it will bounce off some random's head who ran in front of you =)

#JynxTactics
#YouShouldntFeelSafe

Top Bottom