• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

RowdyReverb

cross posting with the gaming thread

I kinda wish H2 Classic had its own dedicated Big Team playlist though - Halo 2 was the best "big team" game in the franchise IMO.

I personally enjoyed H3 big team the most (Avalanche wow), but I barely ever played H2 online, so who knows? I think I will be ok with an all-encompassing playlist to get my BTB fix.

Mix

OPTIONS/AUDIO AND VIDEO/MEDAL FLASHER/ON/ORIGINAL/OFF
From gaming side in response to the difficulty of finding the Halo CE/2 medals switch. Looks like it'll be per player.
I'm pretty much heckfu tier now (may his soul rest in peace), so I can't be too exclusive

dun worry bud, I'll carry you. I never stopped playing.

i'm trying not to stare at the katie perry one

:lol me too.

Kibbles

Hornet can shoot missles again. 50+ killstreaks, here I come.

Those medals in Halo 2 classic look so much out of place. Love how you get literally thousand medals for one kill.

Inb4 channel closed. Too many strikes.

It actually is. Happened some months ago. Still terrible compression, though.
On my iPhone the IGN version plays 60fps but that YT video plays 30fps.

Akai__

On my iPhone the IGN version plays 60fps but that YT video plays 30fps.

I know, I just pointed out, that YouTube is capable of 60FPS videos.

Forget that, Elzars video is actually more than 30FPS. It averages at 46FPS, but some parts are indeed 60FPS.

The IGN player is 52FPS on average.

Sephzilla

I personally enjoyed H3 big team the most (Avalanche wow), but I barely ever played H2 online, so who knows? I think I will be ok with an all-encompassing playlist to get my BTB fix.

Halo 3 was great as well. I just think Halo 2 had the best set of BTB maps

-Headlong
-Waterworks
-Coagulation (Blood Gultch)
-Zanzibar (does this count?)
-Relic
-Containment
-Terminal
-Uplift

Plus a bunch of the more mid-sized maps worked as good big team battle maps as well. Subjectively, I think Halo 2 was the GOAT for Halo Big Team.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
From gaming side in response to the difficulty of finding the Halo CE/2 medals switch. Looks like it'll be per player.

It is per player but
RandomRosso will think it's bullshit because those unseen medals on other player's screens are an affront to the pureness of the universe.

VinFTW

I used to be good too.

Haven't touched halo since a couple dozen H4 games when it came out.

Haven't touched H3 since a little after CoD4, and H2 since the servers died.

I probably suck now :/

It is per player but
RandomRosso will think it's bullshit because those unseen medals on other player's screens are an affront to the pureness of the universe.

LMFAO

inb4 he calls me out for always picking on him :p

I'm going to take a second and nitpick.

dssax5D.png

How comical are those objective markers? I legitimately did not think it could get any more hilarious than Halo 4 shouting at the player constantly, but these messages are just absurdly huge. Maybe the funniest part is that you get this massive waypoint for your own flag....when it hasn't even been touched. This persists when you aren't even looking in the same direction, so you've got this massive message floating around your screen the entire game?! Like...are you worried players are going to get lost and not remember which base is theirs? Isn't that a complete failure of the map's visual design? Are players actually not smart enough to remember where they live? On top of that, CAPTURE, a "no shit" piece of information, dwarfs the actual pertinent feedback that the player needs - the reset timer.

Still people will ignore those huge indicators go mostly for kills for their montages like always

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My Halo 3 K/D is decent (1.5 I think?), but that game never gets my donging senses as tingly as Reach or Halo 4 do. I think it's the non-hitscan BR. It feels clumsy and unsatisfying.

I'm reaaaaally curious to see how Halo 2 feels after so long.

Obscured

I'm going to take a second and nitpick.

dssax5D.png

How comical are those objective markers? I legitimately did not think it could get any more hilarious than Halo 4 shouting at the player constantly, but these messages are just absurdly huge. Maybe the funniest part is that you get this massive waypoint for your own flag....when it hasn't even been touched. This persists when you aren't even looking in the same direction, so you've got this massive message floating around your screen the entire game?! Like...are you worried players are going to get lost and not remember which base is theirs? Isn't that a complete failure of the map's visual design? Are players actually not smart enough to remember where they live? On top of that, CAPTURE, a "no shit" piece of information, dwarfs the actual pertinent feedback that the player needs - the reset timer.

Just baffling.

Also, seeing someone get a dual-wield kill on a single target - nothing special, just a normal ol' kill that ended with a headshot - and get no fewer than 4 medals is a really great reminder of how absurd modern player investment design is. It's not an issue that's at all specific to this project, but it's definitely on full display here.

Damn, I'm not the only one who noticed that either. I was wondering why the hell there is stuff like CAPTURE and DEFEND on the screen at all times. Same with PROTECT. I really wish there was ways to turn this off.

Thanks Elzar. Just watched it, looks great. I think most of my time will be spent playing Halo 2 and Halo 3 only. But damn are those medals ugly and obtrusive. If you're going to include them, make them distinct and easy to tell what is what and don't just have like 8 pop up poorly on the side. Turning those off right away.

I don't mind that they exist, but I would like the option of turning it off (and it sounds like that is an option, awesome). Time and experience has shown that there are in fact people who need those prompts and even with them they still don't know or don't care what to do. But once you do, then they should be able to be dropped. You would think by this time everyone knows what to do in a CTF match, but that isn't the case. (You can also argue that you shouldn't play objective games alone, but that also isn't always an option)

Seeing the comparisons a few pages back about the original medals versus the new ones it struck me how the space it takes up is actually about the same proportion, but since the medals now take up all of that space it looks like it takes up more. Interesting how the Halo 2 feed had the accompanying text and didn't grid them out. Comeback medal should when your team was down and then pulled out a win although the times I've gotten it I immediately think, 'damn, time to quit being stupid'.

Mix

It is per player but

lol it's too real.

Look at how much better Bloodline looks in motion. When your boots are on the ground, it actually looks really nice.
It has grass and shit.

VinFTW

My Halo 3 K/D is decent (1.5 I think?), but that game never gets my donging senses as tingly as Reach or Halo 4 do. I think it's the non-hitscan BR. It feels clumsy and unsatisfying.

I'm reaaaaally curious to see how Halo 2 feels after so long.

Can you guys explain the differences in BRs between 3/r/4? (non-hitscan BR, etc)

Just a tldr version, please :)

yes im #scrubtier, its been too long!

lol it's too real.

Look at how much better Bloodline looks in motion. When your boots are on the ground, it actually looks really nice.

It has grass and shit.

One of the major things I noticed.
Looks great! Just wish the rocks were more "red" like the concept art. Gives it that High ground, refreshing look of being in a canyon out in the west :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hats off to the guy who sniped the gunner off of that warthog on Coag. WHAT A SNIPE. WHAT A PLAYER.

Mix

Can you guys explain the differences in BRs between 3/r/4? (non-hitscan BR, etc)

Just a tldr version, please :)

yes im #scrubtier, its been too long!
Halo 3 you had to lead shots due to bullets traveling. Halo 2/4 you do not. bullets don't have to travel.

VinFTW

Halo 3 you had to lead shots due to bullets traveling. Halo 2/4 you do not. bullets don't have to travel.

Oh shit, I remember that!

Just didn't realize there was a term for it specifically.

Thanks Mix :p You da best

and I agree with the OT title, even though its funny

Is it bad that I've actually arranged for my girlfriend and my son to go stay with her Mother so I can play this for a week without interruption?

This is going to end my relationship. :(

Still... IT LOOKS SO GOOD.

Obscured

How does everything think they are going to deal with switching between the different games? For me, I am assume I am going to do terrible, all the time, every time. But I'll just keep going, because I will want to play all of them. I don't know if I will settle to one after a while or not, it will probably depend if I'm able to get a stable group of others to play with or having to jump in random all of the time.

Mix

I haven't read a single Halo book, so I have no idea whats going on, but from what i just saw, You play as a Spartan IV, during the time Halo 2 is taking place, fighting Prometheans in New Mombassa?

That sounds like it doesn't make sense in about 5 ways.

It looks like you start the game off as a marine in 2552 during the events of Halo 2 and then just to 5 years later, you're a Spartan IV on Gamma Halo fighting Prometheans.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It is per player but

7vAbsKL.gif

It has grass and shit.

Are you saying that the War on Color™ was a lie? An excuse fabricated by the Illuminati in order to insight riots within HaloGAF?

Nowise10

It looks like you start the game off as a marine in 2552 during the events of Halo 2 and then just to 5 years later, you're a Spartan IV on Gamma Halo fighting Prometheans.

Alright I think I understand.

But he also says the game starts off with you in New Mombassa in 2552, and you are trying to get an artifact that the covenant are using, to get their Promethean friends onto Earth. Which I feel like also doesnt add up.

Glad to hear we can turn off the medals.

I like medals, but honestly, I don't know why they're taking up so much screen real estate. :/

Stinkles, is that the final look for the medal flasher?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
WOW. Looks glorious. And a new top down Halo as well? Soon we will have a new Halo every month. That is what you are doing isn't it Frankie? ISN'T IT!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Are there forge maps for H2A or am I crazy?

Yes....to both.

There is a forge for H2A. If you mean a specific H2A map there are "blank" skyboxes of each of the 6 remastered maps as well I believe.

Tawpgun

Spartan Strike looks cool (I enjoyed Spartan Assault). Kind of weird they're including Spartans during Halo 2's events, but the prospect of visiting Gamma Halo and New Phoenix jazzes me.

I remember something in the lore of a spartan team fighting somewhere else on Earth. As in not New Mombasa. Could be wrong tho. This could also be classic cop out Infinity Simulation. Or a big retcon. It's only available on Windows 8/Phone so no one will ever know!

I still thing Bloodline looks like crap aesthetically. Even in motion. Bring down the haze, let the colors pop. It should have been more in line with Exile.

Top Bottom