• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Sephzilla

I certainly hope so. Mr. Frank Stinkles said on the gaming side that everything shown is at least a month old or more. If that is a placeholder I'm not sure why they would show it. *shrug*

I'm not ungrateful, everything looks TH3 S3X, but that made me pause the video and raise my eyebrows.

The reason I'm pretty sure it's a place holder is because it's so clearly different from Hunter beams/shots in all of the other games.

Ramirez

Seeing no less that 4-5 medals on every kill was pretty hilarious.

Havok just nailing it home on that capture/defend text too.

Oh well, don't plan on playing H2A much anyways.

Everything but the Hunter's fuel rod cannon looked great to me. It looked like a homing plasma rifle shot. Looked incredibly lame and underpowered to me.

Original:
wFww1V9.jpg

New:
ZaQW61r.jpg

Wonder why they thought that was fitting? The hunters look amazing, but the gun needs to be a big blast...it indicates it's power, especially considering they can one shot you in legendary.

Yeah, what the hell is up with this? :lol

The game is looking great, but that is bizarre.

The reason I'm pretty sure it's a place holder is because it's so clearly different from Hunter beams/shots in all of the other games.

Stinkles come save us ;)

That's what I initially thought, but what's odd is the shots are actually curved. I don't recall the beam-o-death curving at all in any of the games. They had to intentionally program that I would think.

Everything else looks so good it HAS to be a placeholder.

Nowise10

Pretty sure the Hunter projectile is just like any other weapon. Think of it like the scarab gun. When you fire it, it looks like a beam, but if you start swinging wildly when shooting it, you'll see its just shooting like any regular gun, with one specific large bolt, coming out every .1 of a second.

So with that in mind, i'd say yes, its just a placeholder, as it looks like its just using the plasma rifle bolt model or whatever until they create a new one.

I'm going to take a second and nitpick.

dssax5D.png

How comical are those objective markers? I legitimately did not think it could get any more hilarious than Halo 4 shouting at the player constantly, but these messages are just absurdly huge. Maybe the funniest part is that you get this massive waypoint for your own flag....when it hasn't even been touched. This persists when you aren't even looking in the same direction, so you've got this massive message floating around your screen the entire game?! Like...are you worried players are going to get lost and not remember which base is theirs? Isn't that a complete failure of the map's visual design? Are players actually not smart enough to remember where they live? On top of that, CAPTURE, a "no shit" piece of information, dwarfs the actual pertinent feedback that the player needs - the reset timer.

Just baffling.

Also, seeing someone get a dual-wield kill on a single target - nothing special, just a normal ol' kill that ended with a headshot - and get no fewer than 4 medals is a really great reminder of how absurd modern player investment design is. It's not an issue that's at all specific to this project, but it's definitely on full display here.
You and Over covered this, in different ways, but yes, it's a bit crazy.
In the video it makes the switch from H2A to H2C all the more attractive, and even then the questionable medal decisions are in play.

The defend / capture stuff feels like it should be part of an introductory match / mode to bring new players in.

jelly

You would think it's a placeholder but did the beam ever curve like that?

The weapon also still has green power bits sticking out.

Pretty sure the Hunter projectile is just like any other weapon. Think of it like the scarab gun. When you fire it, it looks like a beam, but if you start swinging wildly when shooting it, you'll see its just shooting like any regular gun, with one specific large bolt, coming out every .1 of a second.

So with that in mind, i'd say yes, its just a placeholder, as it looks like its just using the plasma rifle bolt model or whatever until they create a new one.

I would assume you're correct:

wi1IhDR.jpg

ZaQW61r.jpg

*fingers crossed*

(the fact that we are so anal about this obviously means we love and care about this franchise, so take this as a compliment if you see this 343)

They should have a skull that makes the Hunters fire grunts at you.

Will also accept confetti.
Sign me up for a Grunt Launcher. South Park 64's Cow Launcher, anyone?
The defend / capture stuff feels like it should be part of an introductory match / mode to bring new players in.
Such a good idea that they could take to the next level. Ever tried the Dojo Mode in Killer Instinct or the tutorial in Quake Arena? Could work well for informative tutorials like those.

Such a good idea that they could take to the next level. Ever tried the Dojo Mode in Killer Instinct or the tutorial in Quake Arena? Could work well for informative tutorials like those.

Wouldn't suck. Would work narrative-wise too (call it new recruit training). Plus there is bound to be a fair number of newcomers that have never played a Halo title before.

My most played game will depend on the playlists I assume. Halo 3 can be REALLY bad when the game settings are shit.

If I ever have to play ARs on Valhalla, I'll probably delete the game off my HDD.

With it being Halo 3, I doubt we'll be getting loadout changes. Did OG Halo 3 ever have BR starts for Valhalla? It's been too long to remember.

Even if it wasn't, does that really matter? It was for the vast majority of the game's life.
Are you suggesting that launch states don't matter for Halo games? If Halo 3 launched a year after MW in the state that it did (broken melee system, AR starts up the wazoo, etc.), it might not have been as successful as it was.

Let's not even bring up Halo 4's launch window.

This.

I remember being flabbergasted at how quickly I got mowed down by Warthogs in Halo 3 compared to Halo 2.

Yeah, one of my least fond memories of Halo 3 was spawning outside a base in Valhalla to be greeted by the ever circling warthog of doom. You could say I wasn't having fun at that point.

Sephzilla

Yeah, one of my least fond memories of Halo 3 was spawning outside a base in Valhalla to be greeted by the ever circling warthog of doom. You could say I wasn't having fun at that point.

That first week of Halo 3 was fun as a Warthog gunner though - so many people had yet to realize that you didn't screw around when one of those was coming after you.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I'm guessing there might be some sort of MLG/343 partnership with MCC esports. I really wish though that 343 could do it on their own without the help of MLG, but I guess it's wishful thinking.

MLG has changed and become more COD-centric.

They do, but sometimes Gaf doesn't like them and messes up. No idea why.

Ahh okay, thanks for the heads up!

I can't stop watching the Halo 2 video guys.. so good.

I'm guessing there might be some sort of MLG/343 partnership with MCC esports. I really wish though that 343 could do it on their own without the help of MLG, but I guess it's wishful thinking.

MLG has changed and become more COD-centric.

Completely agree, I mean I was 15/16 when the 2006 MLG season was in swing, and stuck with it all the way through Columbus when Halo had it's last real event, and was crushed when it was taken off the circuit.

But now I see it as a good thing and think 343 should do it independently, since as you mentioned MLG is more CoD-centric and there's a stigma with "MLG wannabes" that holds true a lot of time, but still unfairly classifies competitive players, such as myself.

I think we should have laser starts in Halo 3 BTB

Great Odin's Beard! Playlist - everyone starts with Spartan Lasers, infinite ammo

Also, someone on tumblr pointed out how specific achievements (Before The Fire - Halo 3: Activate Terminal 3 on The Ark.; Sword and Shield - Halo 3: Activate Terminal 7 on The Ark.; Whispers Across The Galaxy - Halo 3: View the communique from Mendicant Bias) all seem to point to the Ark Theory coming to pass. Kinda nuts.

BR starts were only good for specific matches. Definitely not in BTB maps.
Thoughts on Halo 3 BR nerf?
Standoff, your team has the laser (even the ones that respawn), your team has two warthogs...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0VWCwHu705Y/ULfCTJRKNII/AAAAAAAADjY/tRVCUqYkS44/s1600/homer-laughing.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Standoff, it's me driving the Hog and the other team has no option for a Laser because it doesn't exist.

[IMG]http://s3.vidimg.popscreen.com/original/6/T2g3MUlRQlFkTU0x_o_wwe-ceo-mr-mcmahon-theme-song-no-chance.jpg

Top Bottom