• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

I don't see the Destiny comparisons at all.

This is next gen Halo, the way it should be. They did in fact learn from Halo 4. It feels like a natural evolution from Halo 3.

IHaveIce

Banned
Destiny came out literally 2 months ago, you really think they dumped all that in in 2 months? I know you're salty but at least be reasonable.

If anything the Spartans match the fiction more.
ADS doesn't make sense fictionally.

And Groundpound being a OHK is the true outrage worthy thing over here.
why give so much power to melees

Edit: But I actually think this looks decent

Here is what I have so far...

GENERAL
  • still red vs. blue
  • shields remain at top mid of screen
  • even abilities all the time
  • radar and no radar setting shown, radar remains at bottom left
  • 4PM - playtest everyday.
  • pro team - go to resource e.g. callouts
  • callouts all created by pro team at 343i
  • Perfect Kill = new medal for perfect 4 shot kill
  • descope returns
  • game text feed on bottom right
  • personal text feed on bottom left
  • new slayer gametype
  • no more ordnances
  • power weapons on static timers
  • can carry 2 primary weapons (no mods/packages needed)
  • medals feed now middle bottom of screen
  • appears to be a faster pace overall
  • Carry 2 frags and 2 plasma grenades
  • new spectator mode
  • 5 seconds respawn for normal death

MAPS
  • Truth = Midship remake
  • New map shown, simulation design style

SPARTAN ABILITIES
  • Thruster (works multi direction)
  • Ground pound
  • Clamber (really hard ledge grabs work like classic crouch jumps for good players)
  • Slide (full sprint velocity then crouch to slide)
  • Charge (full sprint velocity then melee to slide)
  • Sprint (while sprinting shield does not recharge, must walk or stop to recharge)
  • Smart scope (hip fire accurate, no penalty to movement), allows descope

WEAPONS
  • AR
  • sniper
  • pistol
  • rocket thingy
  • battle rifle (2X zoom)
  • dmr
  • SMG
  • Prophets Bane - new energy sword and you get increased movement and lunge

BETA
  • Begins 29th DEC 2014 and ends 18th JAN 2015
  • all about new arena experience
  • beta for feedback of balancing, maps, exploits, weapon, abilities
  • nerfed first: thruster pack (quinn), ground pound (josh)
  • the DEC beta will include a basic version of the new spectator mode

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
One positive thing I can say though....

I'm really fucking glad they at least put all the abilities as additions to the base gameplay instead of handling them as loadouts like before.

Blueblur1

The game looks great visually but when you start really picking those mechanics apart (in the best way we can) all of that stuff becomes super concerning. The damage abilities and thruster look like they are already broken. Sprint and clamber is enough for speedy movement, IMO.

Strider

Overall I really liked the way it looked *shrugs*

I'd get rid of ground smash, ledge grabbing, sliding, and shoulder charge right away though... But I'm excited for the beta.

Beta looks rough, as expected, but I like what they're trying to do. Add more content while keeping everyone on equal footing.

Smart scope is cool; I like it. Sprint sucks but the shield penalty makes it less terrible.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

TheXbox

Real talk:

ADS almost looks like it encourages hip fire. It takes up a ton of screen space and kinda came off as clunky in general. All of the long-range firefights seemed to devolve into camping or running away because it was impossible to maintain a decent engagement.

Could be good or bad, but in general the game looked pretty slow. Maybe the players weren't used to the mechanics, maybe it's the game itself, idk. Smart scope is dumb, but it clearly hasn't turned the game into an ADS fest.

Omni

Destiny came out literally 2 months ago, you really think they dumped all that in in 2 months? I know you're salty but at least be reasonable.

If anything the Spartans match the fiction more.

Destiny's gameplay mechanics have been known since the early alpha in what, June?

Even the match opening is a blatant rip off. :lol

Obscured

Looks good. Interesting how much they talk about looking at the info from the beta, sounds like they've got a lot of options they can play with. I like the zoom, feels like augmented reality. Yeah, looks like ADS, but seems like it it will feel like traditional zoom. If the movement is consistent then that is the most important.

Thrusters were one of the most fun things for me and looks like they are using it the ways I've always wanted.

Can't really get any sense of those weapons yet. Can't wait for the beta, looks like it will be a pretty good look at what to expect.

Overdoziz

Banned
Trolling or for real?
No loadouts and killstreaks already makes it better than Halo 4 so there's that. Not a fan of Charge and Ground Pound, but aside from that it definitely looked like it could work a lot better at competitive level. ADS seemingly replacing scoping in really doesn't sit well with me, though. Shit has to go.

Top Bottom