• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for you to play them for the first time. It's gun be gud.
I'm really excited to finally play the PC maps. Even if they're trash, at least I'll have that joy and wonder that comes with exploring a Halo map for the first time.

dwells

The flamethrower and mongoose were in the beta but I don't believe either actually spawned on any map the tags were just in the .map files.

The mongoose works but the suspension on the model was broken.

There was also disitegrator and a flying human vehicle I believe. There was also a few references in the code to saved films and headhunter. None of it was even close to being finished.

Users could download maps during the beta. I think Lockout was a downloadable map.

Correct. Here's a breakdown of some of the beta content:

• Flamethrower - model and texture finished. Missing animations for grenade throws and melees, fire effect needed work, don't think the projectile damage worked.
  • Disintegrator - Covenant energy weapon like the flamethrower, massive damage up close. Model and animations were done, but no texture oddly enough. Some balance tweaking and a texture and it was pretty much ready.
  • Mongoose - model and texture finished, just needed the glass effects. Drove pretty well, but needed some physics tweaking, and I think the sound effects were just copies of the Warthog. Seemed extremely close to being ready, shocked it didn't make the final build.
  • Flashbang grenades - I don't think the tags were there, but there were references left.
  • Handful of different HUD revisions, the more famous one being the vertical shield bar attached to the radar. I kinda liked that one.
  • BR firing single shots in scoped mode.
  • Holding X to diffuse the bomb.
  • Handful of other unused vehicles, mostly capable of being piloted. Falcon, Longsword, drop pod, "Creep."
  • Headhunter gametype.
  • Race gametype.
  • "Warfare" gametype that I don't think was ever accessible or in the rotation. If I had to guess, it was probably something similar to Reach's Invasion.
  • Additional emblem customization, up to four colors.
  • File sharing and theater, though these weren't usable. There was an early UI demo that showed them off, but I believe that was just a mockup and there was no underlying functionality. Pretty sure those were axed early due to the amount of work that was needed.
  • Not technically beta content, but plenty of single player stuff that got axed. Flood Juggernaut is finished (well, no AI) and in the production code and just unused, various other campaign levels were planned, such as Covenant Ship and Forerunner Tank.

Mix

I'm really excited to finally play the PC maps. Even if they're trash, at least I'll have that joy and wonder that comes with exploring a Halo map for the first time.

What!? You've never played them? I need to be there with you day one, man. Those maps are by far some of the best Halo maps ever IMO

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yeah, a little OT, but we had been talking for a little over a week and she had just broken up with her boyfriend at the time and when she told me I sent her that and a week latter we got together and have kinda been together ever since.

fLoAK64.gif

Tawpgun

Frankles any way you guys will be fixing that godawful CEA sniper reticle? Disappointed to see its in Multiplayer too. I know its probably not that big a deal but it'd be nice to get that fixed.

I'm looking forward to those, I barely played any of the Halo PC ones, and I never touched the Halo 2 Vista maps.

Man, BTB maps used to be a lot more open.. I liked that.

• Flamethrower - model and texture finished. Missing animations for grenade throws and melees, fire effect needed work, don't think the projectile damage worked.
  • Disintegrator - Covenant energy weapon like the flamethrower, massive damage up close. Model and animations were done, but no texture oddly enough. Some balance tweaking and a texture and it was pretty much ready.
  • Mongoose - model and texture finished, just needed the glass effects. Drove pretty well, but needed some physics tweaking, and I think the sound effects were just copies of the Warthog. Seemed extremely close to being ready, shocked it didn't make the final build.
  • Flashbang grenades - I don't think the tags were there, but there were references left.
  • Handful of different HUD revisions, the more famous one being the vertical shield bar attached to the radar. I kinda liked that one.
  • Handful of other unused vehicles, mostly capable of being piloted. Falcon, Longsword, drop pod, "Creep."
  • Headhunter gametype.
  • Race gametype.
  • "Warfare" gametype that I don't think was ever accessible or in the rotation. If I had to guess, it was probably something similar to Reach's Invasion.
  • File sharing and theater, though these weren't usable. There was an early UI demo that showed them off, but I believe that was just a mockup and there was no underlying functionality. Pretty sure those were axed early due to the amount of work that was needed.
  • Not technically beta content, but plenty of single player stuff that got axed. Flood Juggernaut is finished (well, no AI) and in the production code and just unused, various other campaign levels were planned, such as Covenant Ship and Forerunner Tank.

Wow, that's a lot of cut content. It would be cool to see what some of those were meant to be, especially things like the Forerunner tank.

I hope we see Forerunner vehicles in Halo 5.

BigShow36

Frankles any way you guys will be fixing that godawful CEA sniper reticle? Disappointed to see its in Multiplayer too. I know its probably not that big a deal but it'd be nice to get that fixed.

For the first time ever, play the original Halo CE exactly as you remember it, as long as your memory jumbles Halo CE, Halo PC and CEA together.

Trey

Was Timberland in Halo Reach or 4? It sounds familiar. I vaguely recall one of those two games getting a remade Halo PC map.

I believe so, I don't see why it would get pushed again. I wonder what they even have to talk about at this point? lol IGN has done a fantastic job with their coverage I'd be surprised if they had something else they're hiding on top of all these badass features.

I'm wondering if the "deets" to which Frankie speaks are coming soon as in, tonight. :)

EDIT: added an 'S' to the end of your sentence #grammarnazi

I have a distraction! The Fable Legends beta is currently downloading. My cousin works for Lionhead, so got in on the closed family/friends beta.

Akai__

We'll have details soon. 11th is US date, we're trying to make everything as close as possible where we actually have control. More deets soon.

While you are at it.

I'm not sure if it was ever answered, but can you switch languages in the retail copy/digital copy of Halo: MCC? Does it depend on your Xbox One language settings?
I don't want to play german Halo. :p

I have a distraction! The Fable Legends beta is currently downloading. My cousin works for Lionhead, so got in on the closed family/friends beta.

The distraction that I got recently is Diablo 3. Co-op with the wifey. It's one of those games I didn't know I wanted, but now I feel I need. It's delicious. =)

Tawpgun

For the first time ever, play the original Halo CE exactly as you remember it, as long as your memory jumbles Halo CE, Halo PC and CEA together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a7cHPy04s8

If someone gave me an HD remake of Shadowrun or Chromehounds but some map geometry was SLIGHTLY different and the reticles and HUD were slightly off....

I'd still be fucking amped as shit. What you're asking for is a game for Xbox that was never designed to be played online, so it had no existing code for online play. PC did. I think Fyre called that almost immediatley when Halo CE online was announced.

Not to be snarky, but if it does happen I hope they won't just be Human vehicles with Forerunner aesthetics.

This. But would not be mad at all if there was a brute chopper in forerunner aesthetics.

Forerunner vehicles discussion? Nice:
We need these.

EDIT:
I'd still be fucking amped as shit. What you're asking for is a game for Xbox that was never designed to be played online, so it had no existing code for online play. PC did. I think Fyre called that almost immediatley when Halo CE online was announced.
Everyone called it lol; it wasn't really a surprise to anyone, but I think CE fans are bogus for not supporting this.
This. But would not be mad at all if there was a brute chopper in forerunner aesthetics.
The Chopper needs to return any way we can get it.

If someone gave me an HD remake of Shadowrun or Chromehounds but some map geometry was SLIGHTLY different and the reticles and HUD were slightly off....

But he's criticizing the fact that Dan Ayoub stood up there at E3 and said 'play them exactly as you remember them, all in their original engines' (quoting from memory here). That sniper reticle is not as I remember it. Hopefully it's a bug from an earlier build.

I'm still very pumped to play CE online. Hoping it's not hitscan as that video suggested yesterday. Part of the majesty of CE's magnum is in leading its shots.

dwells

Wow, that's a lot of cut content. It would be cool to see what some of those were meant to be, especially things like the Forerunner tank.

I hope we see Forerunner vehicles in Halo 5.

Yeah, Halo 2's development history is pretty interesting. Things got really, really hectic toward the end of development when crunch time came around. Unfortunately that meant the axe fell hard and lots of cool stuff never saw the light of day.

I'd love to see Halo 2 get "new" content in the form of finished beta content being added as DLC. Any DLC at all would be cool, really. Halo 2 still has plenty of life left in it and new content would just sweeten the deal.

BigShow36

All I want is honestly; that's all I've ever asked for. Don't tell me it's the original if it's not. Don't dance around the truth. Even if it's based off the PC build, how hard would it have been for them to swap HUD elements to make it match the original?

Regardless, my primary concern is about the gameplay. If the sniper is easier to use, if the strafe is slightly slower, any number of small things can break Halo CE. I don't know what the differences will be, if any, but the fact that it's based off the PC build, which is not the original engine, makes me expect some alterations for the worse. This isn't about altered geometry or small HUD changes, it's about the game being built off a different engine.

Nowise10

• Headhunter gametype.
  • Race gametype.

In the test level in Halo 2, their is also a really unfinished Falcon/Hornet type vehicle.
Also in a weekly update along time ago, Bungie admitted that the Gungoose was originally going to be in the game too, but they cut it.

Another Xbox One price drop here in Mexico (599 lol), come one MS make it cheaper.

I hope there are fictional nods in MCC, just like there was in Halo CE Anniversary, Such as Linda's bio readout on the POA.

I'd like easter eggs that tend to point towards the other Spartans.

I would be fun to see a Palmer reference as a ODST in Halo 2 A

Halo 1 footage looked a lot better today, some have also mentioned that.

How did it look better? I still noticed the pistol and especially the sniper reticule don't look right. Namely, the snipe reticule is still too large. I know this build is probably a month or more old, but I couldn't tell a difference.

Are you referring to the spartan armor? That does seem to look more like the original. =)

Forerunner vehicles discussion? Nice:

We need these.

EDIT:
Everyone called it lol; it wasn't really a surprise to anyone, but I think CE fans are bogus for not supporting this.

The Chopper needs to return any way we can get it.

I think the "bright orange" aesthetic that games and movies use is tiring. I honestly think the color of the Prometheans caused me to not like them as much. Got sick of seeing tons of orange on everything.

But I'm sure someone could say the same about the Covenant.. "too much purple and pink"

I know...it's all subjective.

TheOddOne

Appreciate all the kind words on our coverage folks. Means a lot, especially coming from GAF. :)

As for the Halo 1 netcode? Well I guess we'll find out next week. On Wednesday (11am PT) we're livestreaming the game for 2 hours with Max Hoberman. He'll be here at IGN in SF with me and connecting to a group of 343 folks up in Kirkland.

We're doing nothing but taking requests, BTW, so you can tweet at us and tell us what game/map/mode/custom settings you want. I think it's going to be really fun!

I've played Halo on pc way back in the day but never had time to play the pc exclusive maps and those new mods that are available nowadays. Looking forward to playing these.

Yeah, I'd love to see a full game where people are strafing, shooting and nading rather than just driving around in vehicles.
:59 - shows a Pistol vs AR (very possible to miss shots, especially when strafing)
2:17 - shows a guy getting shredded by the AR while the Pistol dude's aiming is decent, but not good enough (weapon still takes skill, had that been Halo 2 that AR guy would've been dead)
There are some other shots of the Pistol in action, like shooting that dude from a distance on Infinity's bridge, but the two clips above better illustrate there's still skill with the Pistol.

BONUS: 1:37 - Plasma Rifle

EDIT:
And the flying mode is basically the Hornet
Hornet shmornet.. Falcon from the Reach Campaign (can shoot and it has passengers w/ turrets) > Hornet ;]

Top Bottom