• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Madness

Anything noteworthy over there?

Lot of people who seem like the same folks from the relevancy thread being upset and outraged at the 20gb update/patch on day one. Some of them seem like they had no plans to buy it, but want to complain nonetheless.

I get it, data caps are a reality for a lot of people as is slow Internet. But that's something you just have to come to grips with in this gaming era. Digital games, patches, day one content, if you don't have the internet speed, data available, either make some change or simply not play. Take your Xbox One to school, use the schools WiFi in the library or something hooked up to a monitor, take it to a friend or family members house, have someone else download it for you, get faster or better Internet, or plain just not play then.

Frank said they couldn't really do a second disc for the install, so what more can you say/do?

Three things I didn't like from the coagulation gameplay:

1) Really harsh Steitzer voice, I was actually confused as to what be meant at times. "YOUR FLAG TAKEN, PROTECT YOUR FLAG, KILL THEIR CARRIER!". I preferred the rumbling/rolling low pitch "Douuble killll" kind of deal.

2) Medal animations. some animate to the right and slide up, some sit there and fade out with no description, overlapping other medals? Very bizarre, and they're almost indistinguishable from other medals unless you pause the game, take a screenshot and zoom in...

3) CAPTURE and DEFEND text, very much overkill. Maybe you could make text like that pop up when you are close to the flag, and it's within your line of sight. Otherwise it's more distracting than it is useful. You know which team you're on by looking at your leg, or the score, etc, and the flag indicator already has a colour, so it's pretty redundant.

Everything else I'm really happy with and looking very much forward to playing. Congrats to 343 Industries, Saber Interactive, Certain Affinity, Blur and Ruffian for going gold. You all did good :)

Madness

e84SuBP.jpg

RR0r728.jpg

I just wish the final map was more colorful, and more representative of the concept art. Don't know if it's some new art style everyone loves, but I don't like it much. Give me green grass and trees, bright blue sky, red Arizona style mountains and canyons.

Plus the text. I think this is one of those "more options" things. If you want to give newbies a chance and be welcoming, that's great. But for those of us who don't need it, let us turn this kind of stuff off. There is no reason it needs to be on, no reason I need to hear beeps when my grenades change, no reason I needed to see +50 comeback kill in Halo 4 etc.

Lot of people who seem like the same folks from the relevancy thread being upset and outraged at the 20gb update/patch on day one. Some of them seem like they had no plans to buy it, but want to complain nonetheless.

I get it, data caps are a reality for a lot of people as is slow Internet. But that's something you just have to come to grips with in this gaming era. Digital games, patches, day one content, if you don't have the internet speed, data available, either make some change or simply not play. Take your Xbox One to school, use the schools WiFi in the library or something hooked up to a monitor, take it to a friend or family members house, have someone else download it for you, get faster or better Internet, or plain just not play then.

Frank said they couldn't really do a second disc for the install, so what more can you say/do?

if multiplayer is part of that 20 gig patch then its kind of shitty IMO.

e84SuBP.jpg

RR0r728.jpg

I just wish the final map was more colorful, and more representative of the concept art. Don't know if it's some new art style everyone loves, but I don't like it much. Give me green grass and trees, bright blue sky, red Arizona style mountains and canyons.

Plus the text. I think this is one of those "more options" things. If you want to give newbies a chance and be welcoming, that's great. But for those of us who don't need it, let us turn this kind of stuff off. There is no reason it needs to be on, no reason I need to hear beeps when my grenades change, no reason I needed to see +50 comeback kill in Halo 4 etc.

I posted this before, but I made a quick photoshop that really makes the visuals pop:

jJDYdbD.jpg

It kills me that we have to play it in such a drab color scheme. Because otherwise, the art is fantastic.

e84SuBP.jpg

RR0r728.jpg

That concept art is so beautiful and then the final product is just so brown and muddy. I know concept art is just concept art, but I really wish they kept those colors and that sky.

Madness

Yeah, like I can understand the sentiment that it's not ideal, especially if you buy physically, but it seems like there is nothing they could really do about it, patch seems to be coming in hot at or near launch day. I think this is a unique thing solely because of the unified interface and the fact that games like Halo 3 and Halo 4 are direct ports. There was just no way to fit it on one disc and Frankie said that having two discs and unified menu wouldn't work. Seeing as none of us knows what's really behind the scenes, it's better to just accept it.

I bet if it was Halo 5, there'd have been no problem having another disc. Is it really about money? I can't say, I mean an extra disc would be pennies in the long run, and with this, they're risking angering a lot of buyers, fans for no reason, possibly making them forgo their purchase, so I inclined to believe this was the only feasible route.

I posted this before, but I made a quick photoshop that really makes the visuals pop:

jJDYdbD.jpg

It kills me that we have to play it in such a drab color scheme. Because otherwise, the art is fantastic.

Yeah I saw that Demon. Infinitely better. Just a little bit more color would have definitely gone a long way.

That concept art is so beautiful and then the final product is just so brown and muddy. I know concept art is just concept art, but I really wish they kept those colors and that sky.

Yeah the sky especially. A crisp blue sky would have been much better, brighten up the gameplay a bit, wouldn't just feel like ten shades of brown and brown-green.

Caja 117

The problem is not if you think of it as shity or not, is that a lot of the people making negative comments in that thread are poster that in some cases have openly stated to not have an xbox one and/or a post history of MS bashing.

e84SuBP.jpg

RR0r728.jpg

I will say that the screenshot provided by 343 isn't the best representation of the map in action. It's far from being as vibrant as the concept art, but it's not quite THAT drab.

The problem is not if you think of it as shity or not, is that a lot of the people making negative comments in that thread are poster that in some cases have openly stated to not have an xbox one and/or a post history of MS bashing.

the problem is a portion of those people (not the habitual ms bashers) actually have a point that a 20 gig patch download is detrimental with the bandwidth that is offered by most ISPs and the fact that they are essentially putting a part of the game digitally where if the servers ever go down, they wont have access to the digital parts.

no one should defend or shit on a developer just because. those that bash 343 are just as much a detriment to the community as those that defend them no matter what. neither extreme should be saying anything.

Caja 117

the problem is a portion of those people (not the habitual ms bashers) actually have a point that a 20 gig patch download is detrimental with the bandwidth that is offered by most ISPs and the fact that they are essentially putting a part of the game digitally where if the servers ever go down, they wont have access to the digital parts.

no one should defend or shit on a developer just because. those that bash 343 are just as much a detriment to the community as those that defend them no matter what. neither extreme should be saying anything.

Im talking about the problem in that thread, not about the download size, when you have a thread of people posting false concern, its imppsoble to tell who is there with no agenda on mind. I personally dont think the file size is a problem given the content you are downloading is the one used for online play,

About the servers going down bit, that just a very far stretch, for example: Halo 2 patch gets downloaded when you put the halo 2 cd in your 360 (I did this like a month ago).

those 20gb content could be unavailable because of outages, but is not going to be a permanent thing.

Madness

I will say that the screenshot provided by 343 isn't the best representation of the map in action. It's far from being as vibrant as the concept art, but it's not quite THAT drab.

gFlP9OG.png

Halo-2-Anniversary-Coag-2.png

Eh, seems like a fairly accurate representation no? You know what it reminds me of most? When Peter Jackson added a green tint filter to all of Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring extended edition Blu-ray, everything from the title, to the snow on the mountains, all had this green tint. Here is a mix of brown and brown/green.

Madness

Agreed,that jarate filter is horrible. Why can't they make everything vibrant like Halo 1 &2?

AtUHylw.jpg

Even Standoff is a good example. Wanted to go for that African Savannah type setting, and while they also used more brown on the map, it's broken up by the fact the skybox is very light, as are the buildings which are almost white, with little pops of green on the tree tops. Makes it much more pleasant and vibrant overall.

I don't know why I'm stuck on this point. I love the attention to detail they've done but this was my exact problem with Halo 4. But ultimately it's the gameplay that matters. Let's hope the Halo 5 beta maps are much more visually stunning.

Did we hear about Warlock or Zanzibars interactive map elements yet?

I assume everything from Zanzi like the wheel, the draw bridge, the gate, and the destructible base pillars will be there.

Warlock already has four lifts and four teleporters. Bravo confirmed that Warlock would not have any additional interactive elements.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
Even Standoff is a good example. Wanted to go for that African Savannah type setting, and while they also used more brown on the map, it's broken up by the fact the skybox is very light, as are the buildings which are almost white, with little pops of green on the tree tops. Makes it much more pleasant and vibrant overall.
Halo 3's artstyle at work.
Bungie really mastered the Earthy, but still sci-fiey look in that game, and contrasted colors really well.

Still the best art style of any halo in my opinion.

Elros

So I bought the digital version of the game and the preloading went ok until around 62%, when it went back to 33%, then up to 62%, then back to 33%, etc ...

Anybody else having the same issue ?

The medals in halo 4 were stupid as shit. They were pointless, too common, and difficult to distinguish from one another. Why add them in to an old game? Why add the good ol 343 dick stamp to an already perfect game?

And they received a lot of backlash for having them in halo 4. Going back and putting them in halo ce makes me nervous for Halo 5 because it means they haven't learned anything or listened to any constructive criticisms.

Calls a game aspect a developer's dick stamp,

Criticizes developer for not listening to 'constructive' criticism.

I don't even....

Besides, what medals you earn has very little impact on how enjoyable the game is. Yeesh.

danwarb

"All on one disc", except it's not on one disc.

There is only one disk. Technical victory.

I wouldn't mind a 35GB update if it had more content. I'm continually stunned by how much bandwidth we use here on such a modest connection, mostly movie and TV streaming. It's more than 1TB a week.

m23

So can this game be played on LAN or not (no XBL connection)? Because I liked Halo LAN.

I think LAN was confirmed but apparently one of the players needs to have some sort of internet connection. I think Frankie said even phone tethering would be enough.

Also, that montage was hilarious lol.

m23

I really want to practice some Halo before release but I just can't use the 360 controller anymore. It just seems so bad now, especially the analog sticks.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think LAN was confirmed but apparently one of the players needs to have some sort of internet connection. I think Frankie said even phone tethering would be enough.

Also, that montage was hilarious lol.
Yeah but it seems like every console at least needs to have the content update, which would be a real neckbreaker for tournaments

Madness

Yeah but it seems like every console at least needs to have the content update, which would be a real neckbreaker for tournaments

Frank said most of the game is playable on disc, including some MP/custom games. I'd assume that at least Halo 2 Anniversary maps, Forge, gametypes are on disc and wouldn't necessarily need the content/patch update to play.

I'm not too annoyed by the 20GB download as bandwidth isn't an issue for me, personally, but I get the complaint and it is most definitely not delivering on what we were promised from the get go.

I'll just leave this here. You decide if this qualifies as what Dan promised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA0pApBEGUg&t=1m49s

"All on one disc", except it's not on one disc.

All on one disc*

*but you need this patch to play content and multiplayer.

Top Bottom