• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Mix

Sorry Mix, I really like some of the other title suggestions here than just Mjolnir Mix. I get the wordplay with your name and the theme, but it's more a collection of all Halo games, and I think even the new H2A version is called Gungnir Mix etc. So it's not necessarily the best title, in my opinion.

Here's what I'd use, I think this may have been said or was similar.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection OT - Halo never died, it was just missing in action.

I personally don't mind a little snark as long as it's not insulting. I don't like obscure jokes that the community at large doesn't get, nor do I like straight titles ie. Halo MCC OT: This is Halo etc. Either way, you've got a lot of great suggestions to work with.

The thread title wasn't supposed to play off my name, actually. It was a coincidence and at the time it was the best one suggested without being a jab at either company. I'm going to have a hell of a tough time picking from the more than 50 suggestions I have so far. A lot of them are fucking perfect, but there can only be one OT title! Please keep 'em coming. I might even narrow them down in the next week or so and hold a voting.

Come on now, objectively bad is just silly.

It was a great game, it just wasn't as good as the other Halos.

there have been well thought out posts about why halo 4 is bad, and all you can come up with is "it's good"? i respect your opinion, but give some Objective reasons as to why you think its good.

Welfare

Come on now, objectively bad is just silly.

It was a great game, it just wasn't as good as the other Halos.

Bad UI, sound mixing, bland music, Multiplayer balance, short campaign with a story that needs background from books, most stats being off the game, wonky forge that took a step back from Reach, Limited Theater, little custom game options, bland maps, etc. etc.

It's bad.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'd argue that there's good modern FPS trends and bad modern FPS trends. Sprint, ADS, loadouts, those are bad modern FPS trends. But the rising prominence of verticality and movement? That's pretty good.

Hm, I agree. That's why I'd be okay with a booster pack slide / double jump type of thing. It's a slight tweak that doesn't ruin combat flow and map design, as long as the double jump is a slight boost and not a damn jet pack.

I'm really loving how the game sounds. A lot "punchier."

The best new weapon sound is the SMG, there's a mucf better sense of how many bullets you're actually firing.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Sprint needs to go away. It invalidates the flow of combat by allowing people who make tactical mistakes to run away. Almost every encounter becomes running away. Halo should be about making decisions and dealing with the consequences. I agree that limited boosters for a quick change of direction is fine.

The main point, which I said in reference to H2A MP as well, is that you can make a collection of subtle changes to Halo to create an entire new game without stepping all over the core principles.

Booster would allow for a lot of new, innovative ways to move around as well.
edit: A cooldown for the animation could be used to prevent the same sprint downsides. ie: Booster gives faster movement over a short distance, but over longer distances it will take the same time as normal movement.

Similar to the dodge mechanic in UT.

And I would welcome that with open arms.

Madness

Ding ding ding.

Perfect, without being an outright jab.
and it has nothing to do with the content update

// formatted
Halo: The Master Chief Collection |OT| Halo Never Died, It Was Just Missing In Action

That's the thing. It's a very slight jab at the fact the past two games (Reach/4) has kind of caused many to not really play Halo, and it also touches on how many felt Halo forever lost its "relevance" in that one thread. Just a way to bring that up, but also show that it never really went away, is back. The community is hopeful again, not so gloomy, that this collection could restart a Halo renaissance.

Welfare

That's the thing. It's a very slight jab at the fact the past two games (Reach/4) has kind of caused many to not really play Halo, and it also touches on how many felt Halo forever lost its "relevance" in that one thread. Just a way to bring that up, but also show that it never really went away, is back. The community is hopeful again, not so gloomy, that this collection could restart a Halo renaissance.

Wait, so are you against it for being a "jab", or were you just pointing that out?

Mix

It's why it's my favorite

Fuchsdh

Yeah, so rewatching Nightfall, if I wasn't positive the Flood were the big bad, this seals it for me. I'm pretty sure they straight up reused a Flood scream from the Keyes terminal in Halo CEA. Also I think that guy at 1:27 is getting hit with an infection form that they just haven't added in post to the shot (his visor also pops out of the helmet, which I kind of assume was a prop mistake.)

FYVOpWX.png
They also threw a massive power window over the guy and however is chucking him down to the ground at 0:50, which makes me think that's a Floodified dude and they've just obscured it for the purposes of the trailer.

The ONI-styled ODST armor with the gold bling coloring is interesting; there's a few guys in the background with plating that reminds me a lot of the Aliens-inspired OG CE marines, as well.

Kind of wish the helmets were the ODST style and they just didn't polarize the visors, instead of the clear ones with lights, but for all I know you need the lights to actually see them in most situations, so that's a concession to reality.

willow ve

Sprint needs to go away. It invalidates the flow of combat by allowing people who make tactical mistakes to run away. Almost every encounter becomes running away. Halo should be about making decisions and dealing with the consequences. I agree that limited boosters for a quick change of direction is fine.

The main point, which I said in reference to H2A MP as well, is that you can make a collection of subtle changes to Halo to create an entire new game without stepping all over the core principles.
Agree that sprint should die in multiplayer.

Yeah, so rewatching Nightfall, if I wasn't positive the Flood were the big bad, this seals it for me. I'm pretty sure they straight up reused a Flood scream from the Keyes terminal in Halo CEA. Also I think that guy at 1:27 is getting hit with an infection form that they just haven't added in post to the shot (his visor also pops out of the helmet, which I kind of assume was a prop mistake.)

They also threw a massive power window over the guy and however is chucking him down to the ground at 0:50, which makes me think that's a Floodified dude and they've just obscured it for the purposes of the trailer.

The ONI-styled ODST armor with the gold bling coloring is interesting; there's a few guys in the background with plating that reminds me a lot of the Aliens-inspired OG CE marines, as well.

Kind of wish the helmets were the ODST style and they just didn't polarize the visors, instead of the clear ones with lights, but for all I know you need the lights to actually see them in most situations, so that's a concession to reality.

Good breakdown. I thought the scream sounded familiar.

trying to be more positive in this thread and then you go and post something fucking stupid like this.
1. Halo should have faster movement without sprint
2. Titanfall may not be an arena game, but the movement speed without sprint in that game is good.
3. Why the fuck do you think 343 added all the shit into halo 4?
BECAUSE EVERY OTHER FUCKING "MODERN" GAME HAD IT.
4. Fucking get rid of all the non halo shit
stop being a twat

Ragnarok, don't be such a grump please. I was just pointing out someone mentioned "oh well titan fall therefore" which doesn't apply. That's totally subjective. If I say "oh well call of duty therefore" I would get ripped to shreds in here.

Halo has been great for years without catering to what's around it. During Halo there was crazy fast games like Unreal Tournament. Halo was a slower more tactical skill based arena shooter. Why can't it stay true to it's roots.

Thanks for calling me a twat and calling my post "fucking stupid." You make this forum so appealing.

Good find on the scream. The presence of the Flood and the human-killing element, to me, spells Precursors as the technical big bads, though I doubt they'll get super in depth with that.

And yeah, the face thing is sort of a necessary weasel. Either that or they keep cutting to in-helmet shots a la Iron Man.

Ragnarok, don't be such a grump please.

Hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Yep. I think it encompases the past of Halo very well.

Miixxxxxxxxxxxx

giphy.gif

Gat damn the MCC looks so good. It pushed me over the edge, I sold my PS4 and got a One. Really happy with the purchase so far. Something about the console just makes it a lot more enjoyable to use than the PS4. I saw that they're remaking Halo 2's Lockout. What bearing does this have on the Halo 3 version of it? Will it just have the updated version as well, but with the Halo 3 gameplay?

My gamertag is The Tharp Daddy if anyone is down to play some matches when MCC is released

Gat damn the MCC looks so good. It pushed me over the edge, I sold my PS4 and got a One. Really happy with the purchase so far. Something about the console just makes it a lot more enjoyable to use than the PS4. I saw that they're remaking Halo 2's Lockout. What bearing does this have on the Halo 3 version of it? Will it just have the updated version as well, but with the Halo 3 gameplay?

My gamertag is The Tharp Daddy if anyone is down to play some matches when MCC is released

No bearing at all on the Halo 3 version. It's just like the remakes in previous games, but since the physics, sandbox, etc. are remaining the same the changes are more minimal.

All the original maps are included (yes, even the PC ones!) with the 6 remastered maps. So we're getting like all 5 versions of Blood Gulch

No bearing at all on the Halo 3 version. It's just like the remakes in previous games, but since the physics, sandbox, etc. are remaining the same the changes are more minimal.

All the original maps are included (yes, even the PC ones!) with the 6 remastered maps. So we're getting like all 5 versions of Blood Gulch

Oh, sweet. Thanks! Goodness that's going to be so many maps to play.

RoKKeR

Just watched the video from today.

Looks good but holy crap Stietzer sounds super weird. Way too much reverb/effects and I think we all get the idea of CTF!

Other than that.... 3 weeks. Mmm. 3 weeks.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What 4v4 gametypes play best on Wizard / Warlock?

Spiritual successors count.

That's why there's 4 versions of Lockout in the MCC

1. Lockout (H2)
2. Guardian (H3)
3. Blackout (H3)
4. Lockdown (H2A)
Wait, are you serious? Being dubbed a spiritual successor or having a similar design style doesn't make it a direct remake.

Ghazi

They literally fucked up Steitzer, geez. I didn't think it could be that bad, but maaaaan. He sounds waaaayy to weird!

Top Bottom