• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankie, is 343 going to be at GDC?
I quite enjoyed the presentations Bungie used to give about their Halo tech.

The reach networking one was especially educational.
Some 343i guys will be there but I don't know if they conduct a presentation... I would definitely be interested to hear more about the Anniversary development process. When are you allowed to tell us more, David? When?

$5 on February being the month we see something.
I bet against it: There will be no news. But if after all, free beer for a whole evening at GamesCom for HaloGaffers.(lol. only Gabotron, Over and Robbert win something)

Homeboyd

Going down that road again?
Yeah.. he shouldn't have to confirm deny any more rumors at this point. He and/or david said "if it didn't come from us (343) don't believe it"... so... just don't believe anything...

Unless it comes from them.

No mention of a super bowl ad has come from them.

Sexiest since Leela. Funnist since that one chick who is neither funny nor sexy but was inexplicably the Doctor's assistant and had a miserable sketch comedy show that made you feel bad.

catherine-tate-image.jpg

Overdoziz

Banned
Going down what road? I don't pay attention to sports, the Super Bowl, or whatever. I have no idea if the Giants or whatever have a possibility of winning.
Going down the road of hoping for things even though Frank heavily hints at it not happening.

Going down the road of hoping for things even though Frank heavily hints at it not happening.
It's kind of hard to receive a hint through a sports reference when you know nothing about sports.

(And there's a chance you'll follow up this post saying you don't know anything about American football at all but you still got the hint. Good for you, but I didn't.)

Booshka

The Masters at Augusta will be the premiere for a new Halo 4 trailer. Master Chief is going high class, they could even show another Ivory Tower remake, to tie it all back to the socialites theme.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's kind of hard to receive a hint through a sports reference when you know nothing about sports.

(And you'll probably follow up this post saying you don't know anything about American football at all but you still got the hint. Good for you, but I didn't.)

Here:
put it this way, the only thing you should hold your breath for, is Tom Brady walking home in his Uggs, crying, all the way to the city or state of "New England"

I have no idea who Tom Brady is or why he fancies wearing Uggs but he clearly says that you shouldn't hold your breath for a Halo 4 ad during the Super Bowl.

wwm0nkey

loved that commercials :p

dI0pX.gif

You know I still think those commercials are why people think video game testing is actually fun. I mean I would still like to be a QA tester but Im pretty sure after repeating a process 1000 times to see if it recreates a bug most people would go insane lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The latest Beyond the Frontline has gone live on Forward Unto Dawn and Dave asks if some bonus content from Halo 2 is being overlooked.

BTF #8 : Wiretapping the Cosmos

Beyond the Frontline is a regular feature where the staff here get up on the soapbox and put forward an idea or idea relating to Halo. Each BTF is a talking point designed to start a dialogue and unlike our regular word blasts and articles, the entries are short and sweet.

I wasn’t the only person to give yelps of glee when I saw the Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Terminal previews after HaloFest. They are, put simply, damn good pieces of expanded fiction woven into an otherwise discovered game. But I wasn’t the only person to notice certain inconsistencies in the terminals with some established fiction–namely, 343 Guilty Spark’s log from “Conversations of the Universe”.

Pity “Conversations”–in many ways, currently relegated to Halo history as a minor bonus for the Halo 2 Collectors Edition. But it could be so much more. Laid within its disparate letters are stories begging to be told. The excavation of a mysterious, alien artifact on Coral–most likely Forerunner, but possibly even Precursor, given the materials’ resilience to damage. What was its function? What happened to the dig site? Was it destroyed by the Covenant’s glassing? What battle was the Covenant warship Sacred Promise involved in? And what happened to its engineers, mysteriously disappearing during the ship’s plummet towards a nearby planetoid? More maddeningly, what is the Sharquoi the Elites planned to use against humanity? Did they ever use it?

Aside from questions, CFtU opened up the world of Halo, especially for those who had never touched a novel beforehand (and back then, there were only three!) Many of them set the tone for Halo 2 and its radical departure from Combat Evolved–small side stories that gave the Covenant a human face, for lack of a better expression: bickering Grunts, the increasingly corroding interactions between the Elites and Brutes and the stress fractures in the Covenant. With all the painful narrative cuts made in the final game, these samples gave us a wonderful amount of depth to augment what we played onscreen. In short, CFtU was more a boon than mere bonus for fiction lovers, and it is disheartening to see it neglected now, its stories left cold and untouched. This is, admittedly, one of the hazards of producing (what appears to be) disparate stories–some elements will be discarded or overwritten, like the Cortana Letters are now defunct.

It doesn’t have to be that way. With the possibility of more conflict with humans on the horizon, could the Sharquoi play a role for the Elites again? If Serin Osman could recover from her augmentation injuries, couldn’t Cassandra return to the field as a full-fledged Spartan? The content in CFtU could be just the beginning, especially if 343i follows the lead of Bungie and lays groundwork for coming threads, and to keep fans engaged. There have been promising signs that they might, particularly with the Data Drops ante Glasslands and Anniversary. Halo 4‘s marketing campaign has thus far been virtually nothing, so there remains plenty of time to do something similar. So lets hope that 343i takes a page out of Bungie’s book and keeps one ear to the galaxy.

-DangerousDave

Man, talk about a blast from the past.
I poured over Conversations so many times. Loved that little book.

Wasn't Ghosts of Onyx originally called Ghosts of Coral?

The graphics on level three aren't going to tighten themselves.
Sounds dirty when said with that avatar.
Sexiest since Leela. Funnist since that one chick who is neither funny nor sexy but was inexplicably the Doctor's assistant and had a miserable sketch comedy show that made you feel bad.
Ah now, she was better than why-doesnt-the-doctor-love-meeeee mopey pants.

Booshka

I actually like the NFL, but how do you guys cope with the constant stop-start rhythm of the game? It drives me nuts!

THIS, I like NFL, but I almost never watch a full game, and if I do, I'm distracted with something else.

Shit takes way too long, it makes sense that is America's #1 sport though, it has the most time for commercials.

You know I still think those commercials are why people think video game testing is actually fun. I mean I would still like to be a QA tester but Im pretty sure after repeating a process 1000 times to see if it recreates a bug most people would go insane lol

Different people. I'd love it.

THIS, I like NFL, but I almost never watch a full game, and if I do, I'm distracted with something else.

Shit takes way too long, it makes sense that is America's #1 sport though, it has the most time for commercials.

This is why i watch most game in highlight form sans the Super Bowl game of course, and if you're wondering why I like the NFL, it mostly because (or rather was since he has retired) of this guy:

p1_faulk_getty.jpg

Although, they aren't great at the moment, I still love them.

wwm0nkey

Different people. I'd love it.

I would too but you have to worry about keeping your contract every 3 months unless you are part of the Microsoft QA group but that is hard as shit to get into (343i uses the MS group as well)

I know if I was offered a job in QA I would take it up right away though lol

kylej

Banned
put it this way, the only thing you should hold your breath for, is Tom Brady walking home in his Uggs, crying, all the way to the city or state of "New England"

Kiss the rings. I'm a little bored of only having a championship in one major sport over the past year, hoping we can make it two.

Football's lame as shit. Teams play each other maybe twice in a season. Better team might not even win, seasons too short. Means nothing. Winner is really loser. Apes trying to push their banana further than other apes, while drunk apes yell on the sides.

Hockey, College Basketball off to the sides. Manly men playing with cunning intellect. Their dumbest idea would nova encapsulate the brightest idea ever made on a football field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom