• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

FyreWulff

Hah that is pretty cool.

I like the part where you can see us go "oh shit" and then we have to replace the entire outer ring because the original ones were too small.

Is that an exact replica of Relay?

The center is 1:1 (or as close as possible), since it's obvious which FW pieces it is made out of from the video. The outer parts are as close as we can get to the H4 tube pieces without going into absurd piece count. You can download it here, although that version will probably be out of date by the end of today (still needs clean up, actual non-placeholder spawns, etc). Even if you don't want to play on it, it gives you a good idea of the map's size and the size of the Impact canvas.

GhaleonEB

NYCC, so used to typing Pax still;)
:p

Ummmm that Banshee flew through the ground at around 2:35-43.

Whoops.

I've never seen a game where the sound design came across so disconnected in video than it is in the actual game. I've seen exactly one video where the weapon sounds were not terrible (Wu's direct feed capture from the PAX party), and even then it was only about 75%. It's really weird. If I hadn't played it myself I'd be convinced the game sounded like trash.

Someone with Halo 4 is doing an AMA on reddit.

Last map name, etc... Nothing to crazy though.

I would link but I am on my iPad... Just go to reddit.com/r/halo and its near the top.

Edit: just saw the nycc pics... How in the world does Hyper afford to fly across the country multiple times a year for expos. I'm very jealous.
You guys look like you're having fun, notice any big changes from the build at PAX?

malfcn

I like the part where you can see us go "oh shit" and then we have to replace the entire outer ring because the original ones were too small.

The center is 1:1 (or as close as possible), since it's obvious which FW pieces it is made out of from the video. The outer parts are as close as we can get to the H4 tube pieces without going into absurd piece count. You can download it here, although that version will probably be out of date by the end of today (still needs clean up, actual non-placeholder spawns, etc). Even if you don't want to play on it, it gives you a good idea of the map's size and the size of the Impact canvas.

Was going to DL but Waypoint said something about taking over my account?

TheOddOne

Thanks!
  • I'm surprised no-one has asked this, but the Assault gametype is not coming back, also there's a new gametype (can't remember the name) where you have to control certain points of the map similar to territories (more info tomorrow).
  • Vortex map is medium to large.
  • You can't disable them [voiceover announcements in multiplayer] and there was no change as far as I can tell.
  • So far the new features in forge are the ones you have seen on the most recent videos, I'll upload some footage about theatre by tomorrow.
  • Also I have to tell you that there's no new variants (only the ones we have seen so far [one for each map and griffball court] on the new forge maps on the disc, which kinda disappointed me.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
That's such a fucking bummer, dude.

Assault isn't exactly like CTF. It's taking something TO the enemies base, not going into the enemies base and taking something BACK. :'(

Last map name, etc... Nothing to crazy though.

I would link but I am on my iPad... Just go to reddit.com/r/halo and its near the top.

Edit: just saw the nycc pics... How in the world does Hyper afford to fly across the country multiple times a year for expos. I'm very jealous.
You guys look like you're having fun, notice any big changes from the build at PAX?

Fuck. No Mammoth in MP. Presumably no new vehicles, AKA no chopper. No Assault. Last MP map called
Vortex
, a medium-large map.

GhaleonEB

I generally feel that only story content should be spoilered. But I have a spectacularly dim view of guys like this who snag the game illicitly and then do info dumps. Please be careful and generous with the spoiler tags, noting what kind of stuff you're spoilering so folks can pick and choose what they see.

Well, my hype just plummeted.

Yeah, I feel deflated that there is nothing special going on vehicle wise. Sounds like they got so caught up on the Mantis that they forgot to add anything else... like the heavily requested chopper. =/

Also, no assault and no other new gametypes is a fucking letdown.

I generally feel that only story content should be spoilered. But I have a spectacularly dim view of guys like this who snag the game illicitly and then do info dumps. Please be careful and generous with the spoiler tags, noting what kind of stuff you're spoilering so folks can pick and choose what they see.

Yeah, if SP spoilers hit from leaks I don't think they should even be discussed in here TBH. Just warnings that they are out there. Spoiler thread for the big stuff I think.. But its your call.

ex. Warning, ending has leaked to youtube (not really)

That's such a fucking bummer, dude.

Assault isn't exactly like CTF. It's taking something TO the enemies base, not going into the enemies base and taking something BACK. :'(

You can score the OB in capture points now so basically they can make an Assault variant with the OB.. if they wanted to preserve the unique style of Assault that is.

RIP Halo 2 Assault, you will never be forgotten.

senador

Banned
I don't fully trust that dude, he doesn't seem too bright. There could still be some goodies in there.

I have a hard time with stuff like this. It rubs me really wrong that he has it and is posting about it. Its not ethically cool with me. Sure whatever, you got it early through illegitimate means, can't you just keep it to yourself? The fact that he and others go online for it is purely to brag and get attention, he's not doing anyone any favors.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I hope people don't start becoming negative because no more huge reveals are left. That's silly shit. We have a lot to be excited for.

Pop

Am I the only one who liked the gritty Reach look?

Reach was by far the best Halo in Terms of visuals, both from a stylistic and a pure graphics fidelity point of view. It also had the best gameplay of all Halo games, except for the scarab battles in 3.
Come at me, bros.

Oh lord!

It's like were playing two separate franchises.

I hope people don't start becoming negative because no more huge reveals are left. That's silly shit. We have a lot to be excited for.

Nah, its not that at all.. Just one true new vehicle and not many returning isn't all the exciting. Also, hearing Assault is not represented in any form is pretty deflating also.

senador

Banned
Am I the only one who liked the gritty Reach look?

Reach was by far the best Halo in Terms of visuals, both from a stylistic and a pure graphics fidelity point of view. It also had the best gameplay of all Halo games, except for the scarab battles in 3.
Come at me, bros.

I loved it at first, but not now. I think I didn't notice the filter for a while, but I can't un-see it now. Halo 4's bright crispness is going to be really refreshing.

I just hope anything left doesn't come from dickheads that have the game already.

I still can't believe how polished this game is and how ugly the sniper is.

Looks much better than it originally did, but it still looks pretty lame IMO. Bums me out.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just finished recording HaloGAF Radio day 1. All star cast, lots of fun. Back to work tomorrow!

Ryaaan14

Banned
2 months ago: What the fuck is 343 doing? No freaking marketing at all.

Now: What, nothing more? Dammit 343.

The pacing has been weird as hell for this game. Very bottom heavy. We got the initial E3 reveal, and then next to nothing until PAX. Now in the final 6-8 weeks we are getting everything dumped on us so quickly it's hard to even keep up. I guess it kinda makes sense how some people are acting crazy, they are already being conditioned to expect big reveals at the very last minute.

Ramirez

Just finished recording HaloGAF Radio day 1. All star cast, lots of fun. Back to work tomorrow!

Where are your impressions of the game?

Also, is the entirety of HaloGAF crashing at your apartment? lol

One more thing, I thought some MLG guy said the last map would make competitive players happy? Doesn't sound like a 4v4 map if it's medium-large...

FyreWulff

The pacing has been weird as hell for this game. Very bottom heavy. We got the initial E3 reveal, and then next to nothing until PAX. Now in the final 6-8 weeks we are getting everything dumped on us so quickly it's hard to even keep up. I guess it kinda makes sense how some people are acting crazy, they are already being conditioned to expect big reveals at the very last minute.

The industry is all about that late burn now, especially when you release into the holiday clusterfuck. You're trying to be the loudest, and latest, to be heard above the din.

• I'm surprised no-one has asked this, but the Assault gametype is not coming back

• Well, shit.

Knew it was coming, but now I guess I can make my disappointment official. 343 may well have butchered CTF (I'll hold final judgement 'till I can play it) and now they've thrown my favorite objective gametype in the trash bin.

I sure hope Dominion is fun.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I was probably over reacting before... But only two new vehicles and no assault is a pretty big bummer. Oh well. The game will be great still.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Why buy it from Wal-Mart?
And $120 for the LE on Wally's site? lol

They're throwing cards into the boxes to add to DEXP stuff... so if you grab a 24 pack of Gamefuel and get the game from there, you get 38 games or something like that.

I dunno, man. I'm just bummed i didn't get the LE when gamestop had it available.

Ramirez

I couldn't tell you the last time I had a quality game of Assault, probably back in Halo 2. Assault was great for stat padding though, so there' that. ;)

FyreWulff

I was probably over reacting before... But only two new vehicles and no assault is a pretty big bummer. Oh well. The game will be great still.

I don't know what to think, although I mentioned it earlier.

On one hand, it's a bummer the mode isn't coming back. It's been standard since Halo 2 (Halo 1's being literal reverse CTF) so you expect it to just come along for the ride. There's been fun moments and gameplay unique to the mode.

On the other hand, Assault has problems that can't be fixed by just going back to how Halo 2 did it. If 343 is reworking modes, I'd rather they just omit Assault instead of half assing it.

There's also the fact that Assault finds itself hard to justify it's existence under a time crunch since it's functionally CTF in Reverse. And just because a map works well for 1 Flag doesn't mean it works well for 1 Bomb.

But, there's also the fact that they could have the assets, and if they have an extensive enough scripting language to use in 4, we could just see Assault return post-launch as a gametype. It's like how we didn't have Rocket Race on the disc in Reach, but all the assets were there for it and Bungie released it later.

Ramirez

Someone from 343 please tell me that getting Binary Rifles in ordnance is just a trade show thing...please. I was under the impression it would be stuff like Shotguns/Needlers...

Also, Duncan, why did you pass up the Mantis! It was a relief to see how easy you took it out with the Railgun though...the game looks like a ton of fun to me. *goes back to watching*

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Where are your impressions of the game?

Also, is the entirety of HaloGAF crashing at your apartment? lol

One more thing, I thought some MLG guy said the last map would make competitive players happy? Doesn't sound like a 4v4 map if it's medium-large...

Loving the game. Had so much fun today. Played a ton of stuff. Can't talk about most lol

It's not my apartment, we got it from Air BnB.

I messed around on the last map. That is all.

GhaleonEB

There are seven of us here, so yeah, pretty much.

-------
Infinity Slayer on Ragnarok

Sorry for the terrible quality. Was experimenting with a new camera, I'll go back to my old camcorder for tomorrow's recordings.

Duncan, at about 3:35 you get to the enemy base and walk right past their Mantis, and then go off the man cannon instead. I've seldom been more disappointed with anyone in my entire life.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Duncan, at about 3:35 you get to the enemy base and walk right past their Mantis, and then go off the man cannon instead. I've seldom been more disappointed with anyone in my entire life.

Yup. Not to mention how many times he used the DMR over the other various power weapons he was also holding onto. GRRRRRRR.

Top Bottom