• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Jmte

Neo Member
I raise you.
frankiefud.gif
Someone needs to put the energy stave the Elite Honour Guard uses on the end of the mop.

Talents

Banned
New episode of FuD was awesome, but god damn their squad leader or whatever they're called is a massive bitch, hopefully she gets killed off. Trailer for the next episode looks even better.

New episode of FuD was awesome, but god damn their squad leader or whatever they're called is a massive bitch, hopefully she gets killed off. Trailer for the next episode looks even better.

She's not being a bitch, she is doing her job as a leader. She's instilling discipline in them. If she left them alone, that would be a major problem.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Does it bother anyone else that they keep calling the female officers "Sir"? They are supposed to say "Ma'am".

Are they? Where does the UNSC regulations mention this? If we are still using gender specific honorifics in the 26th century, then we won't really have come very far. You were supposed to call any married woman you met in polite society this week Ma'am, but did you? Or would that have been awkward and a bit sexist?

Although right now, as one gaf-er pointed out, you absolutely call female officers Ma'am. One new boot was told, "Did you just call me Sir!? Would you like me to pull out my dick and slap you with it?"

FyreWulff

I need a 343 employee to walk behind the mancannons on Relay and take a pic. Whatever is behind them is a mystery because they never look/walk behind that segment of the map in the video.

Are they? Where does the UNSC regulations mention this? If we are still using gender specific honorifics in the 26th century, then we won't really have come very far. You were supposed to call any married woman you met in polite society this week Ma'am, but did you? Or would that have been awkward and a bit sexist?

It is absolutely not sexist to recognize a female as a female. And yeah, actually, I do refer to my female professors as Ma'am.

Finished episode 2. I like it more than episode 1. More focused, more progression with the characters.

Still not a fan of the first-person HUD shots, and I think I'm getting a little annoyed by the shaky-cam action.

It is absolutely not sexist to recognize a female as a female. And yeah, actually, I do refer to my female professors as Ma'am.

Today the word actress no longer exists, men and women are both referred to as actors. Things change, and this is fiction and its in the future. They're obviously trying to make being a soldier less sex related. But yea, ma'am isn't considered sexist...as of yet.

Fuchsdh

She's not being a bitch, she is doing her job as a leader. She's instilling discipline in them. If she left them alone, that would be a major problem.
Taking people's food and humiliating them in front of others does not make people respect you, or make them want to follow orders.

I've never understood the drill sergeant mentality of being a raging jackass. How does this build a better military? Or is it just small people taking their frustrations out on others?

Agreed. Actually, one could argue that sir is sexist because you are holding the male form as ideal and disregarding the importance of females. Men and women are different that is something to celebrate.

Today the word actress no longer exists, men and women are both referred to as actors. Things change, and this is fiction and its in the future. They're obviously trying to make being a soldier less sex related. But yea, ma'am isn't considered sexist...as of yet.
Um, I know plenty of people who say actress.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Taking people's food and humiliating them in front of others does not make people respect you, or make them want to follow orders.

I've never understood the drill sergeant mentality of being a raging jackass. How does this build a better military? Or is it just small people taking their frustrations out on others?

Well being nice to someone isn't going to turn them into a hardened killing machine that Marines have to be. Drill Sergeants are there to break you down mentally and then build you back up as a solider/teammate.

I think in actual drill, from what I've heard, the worst of the yelling/etc is the beginning. Once they've gotten you broken down they are nicer and more helpful.

Talents

Banned
Well being nice to someone isn't going to turn them into a hardened killing machine that Marines have to be. Drill Sergeants are there to break you down mentally and then build you back up as a solider/teammate.

I think in actual drill, from what I've heard, the worst of the yelling/etc is the beginning. Once they've gotten you broken down they are nicer and more helpful.

I don't get how yelling at people can make them 'hardened' if people yell at me I either block them out or snap.

Ok, I liked FUD episode 2 a ton also, though the pacing felt a little off with an ending that felt way too abrupt. But still, Im liking it. Can't wait til next week..

I literally had to rewind to that point due to having such a big wtf moment haha

Lasky was watching a second video of his brother,
who'd mentioned being in "Arcadia"
. My immediate thought was Halo Wars "Arcadia". Two separate "events" I suppose? Interesting.
Edit: clarifying, not separate timelines but separate events. At first thought, I assumed FuD is tied abit with Halo Wars.

Yeah, I thought that was a really neat tie in.

Yeah, I thought they were gonna put the helmets up on a log like Muldoon does in Jurassic Park.

I did say "clever girl" when they jumped out to the flank and opened fire though.

Oh man, now you're making me want this, haha.

leaked campaign videos are floating around youtube now.
Are you 100% certain? Im not seeing anything, anywhere.

Everyone have seen the Elite, but who care about Fred-104 ? Guess what...

halo_4_forward_unto_dawn_fred_104_teasing.jpg

Nice, I like his helmet, although it looks a tad Noble 6.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
trying to figure out FUD firefight sequence

Lasky says there is equal numbers

I count 7 on screen kills (you don't see the third marine go down, but it's assumed he did)

you see 8 marines altogether... first 2 groups are 3 each (you see the thirds AR) then 2 by the flag

then silva kills 2 people off screen?

that makes 9-10 kills and then silva shoots at something before lasky collapses?

Lasky's squad had 9 members

I am kinda confused

aj1467

I don't get how yelling at people can make them 'hardened' if people yell at me I either block them out or snap.

I think the whole point of it is to try and break you. They want someone who can perform under horrible situations. Someone who can stay composed.

Overdoziz

Banned
That black girl that's the superior of Lasky's squad sounds really weird when she tries to yell with a deep voice. It's amusing every time she does it.

Episode was good though, very obvious cameo of Frank aside.

Beckx

Hey Boston HaloGAF - is there a walking route (sidewalks) from the Financial/downtown district over the bridges to the convention center where PAX East is, or is it pretty much a cab situation?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Happy Birthday Frankie! One day before mine even, can't believe after all these years I didn't even know that. October Men.

I still have to watch FUD Episode 1, and I'll probably do it Sunday along with Episode 2 for a nice long watch.

There are seven of us here, so yeah, pretty much.

-------
Infinity Slayer on Ragnarok

Sorry for the terrible quality. Was experimenting with a new camera, I'll go back to my old camcorder for tomorrow's recordings.

Very nice video, I think your vid was the first video to show how good the DMR is, I love it. Also the first video where I've seen someone show how instantly you can respawn once you press the button immediately - it's so strange to see that in a Halo game, but I like it.

Stinkles

trying to figure out FUD firefight sequence

Lasky says there is equal numbers

I count 7 on screen kills (you don't see the third marine go down, but it's assumed he did)

you see 8 marines altogether... first 2 groups are 3 each (you see the thirds AR) then 2 by the flag

then silva kills 2 people off screen?

that makes 9-10 kills and then silva shoots at something before lasky collapses?

Lasky's squad had 9 members

I am kinda confused

Join in progress.

Stinkles

The military literally tries to break you, all your habits, assumptions, attitudes, break them completely, and start afresh with what they consider a fresh template. That's the entire point of bootcamp. It's worked for 10,000 years and they have it down to a fine art. Well, until now when you can join the military and be fat and have gang tattoos and run a methlab. But it used to work.

Arnie

Really enjoyed episode 1 of FUD, so I think I'll just wait for the extended cut in the LE.

Any more word on ranks from Frank, post Eurogamer?

Episode 1 felt a lot like an episode, while episode 2 really felt like a segment from a movie cut out. Still, I liked it and it kept me entertained the whole time. Color correction looked a lot better also, though there was one scene lit like fall out of nowhere.

Fuchsdh

Episode 1 felt a lot like an episode, while episode 2 really felt like a segment from a movie cut out. Still, I liked it and it kept me entertained the whole time. Color correction looked a lot better also, though there was one scene lit like fall out of nowhere.
I shall dub thee Demoncarnotaur, aka the hellspawned dinosaur colorista.

(Didn't particularly notice any difference between the eps, though I did betwee. The trailer and ep1.)

Stinkles

Stop making an issue out of calling female officers "sirs." It doesn't matter.

Agreed. It's fiction, and it's correct in the fiction. Arguing about it just leads to arguments about sexism and poltical correctness and you can take those off to OT if you want to be mad about either side of the argument.

Karl2177

Agreed. It's fiction, and it's correct in the fiction. Arguing about it just leads to arguments about sexism and poltical correctness and you can take those off to OT if you want to be mad about either side of the argument.
So can I just say that it sounds odd to me? Or will I need to go into the den of cunts for that?

Edit: I should clarify, I'm not arguing that they should be calling her ma'am, but calling her sir pulls me out of the experience.

Fuchsdh

Can we complain about space mop instead, and how custodial services shouldn't be loitering around watching plebes fight?

DopeyFish

Hey guys, lets argue about stuff that occurs 550 years in the future while using current day as emphasis

550 years ago there was still people believing the earth was flat

Woorloog

Banned
Did someone say there was an Elite in FUD? Where? Going to watch it again today, wanna know what to look for.

Also, oddly familiar looking janitor.

Vire

Yes ma'am.

DopeyFish

Did someone say there was an Elite in FUD? Where? Going to watch it again today, wanna know what to look for.

Also, oddly familiar looking janitor.

No, it was just in the "next week on forward unto dawn" clip

You see an elite
giving the statue of corbulo a little slicey slicey

Fuchsdh

Hey guys, lets argue about stuff that occurs 550 years in the future while using current day as emphasis

550 years ago there was still people believing the earth was flat
People today still believe the earth is flat, but by Columbus' day most people accepted the round earth (heliocentrism on the other hand...)

The idea that Columbus proved the world was round is nonsense.

Top Bottom