• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

CyReN

Does MS allow THC to upload Halo videos? What happened?

Right when the halo 4 leak hit youtube our channel got hit with a copyright infringement (we couldn't access our account) for NYCC gameplay, it finally got sorted out and we regained access today.

So if you are uploading any legal h4 footage from gaming events, be on the lookout.

malfcn

Man, some of the script of CE seems rough.

When MC and Keyes split up it isn't explained until you're in the Control Room. All of a sudden the game talks about Keyes looking for a weapons Cache. Why wasn't that mentioned before? Also, it is the first time they mention Forerunners.

Omni

Man, some of the script of CE seems rough.

When MC and Keyes split up it isn't explained until you're in the Control Room. All of a sudden the game talks about Keyes looking for a weapons Cache. Why wasn't that mentioned before? Also, it is the first time they mention Forerunners.

Ever heard of story progression? If everything was explained straight away, the story would be so boring.
Besides, Keyes says that he's going on a mission during the Silent Cartographer and might be out of radio contact. He had no requirement to tell MC what that mission was.

broony

What's the reasoning behind that? Black Ops 2 still has hidden intel to collect.

There is still stuff hidden in Halo 4 apparently, terminals, but I guess skulsl add extra gameplay features, so they want the gameplay options in campaign to be there from the start.

Would be weird doing your first ever campaign playthough on LASO though.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
What's the reasoning behind that? Black Ops 2 still has hidden intel to collect.

There are still terminals to find, but it's still weird that they wouldn't hide skulls around the maps.

That literally just took a few playthroughs out of my campaign bucket. Let's hope it's good enough to keep me coming back without multiple collectables to find.

Enfinit

In case anyone is interested, here's the link to download the latest 343i Multiplayer ViDoc (via the Microsoft press site). It's nearly half a gig, however it includes some additional bonus footage that was cut from the original, including the floodassassination. I'd .gif it, but I don't know how!

Omni

In case anyone is interested, here's the link to download the latest 343i Multiplayer ViDoc (via the Microsoft press site). It's nearly half a gig, however it includes some additional bonus footage that was cut from the original, including the floodassassination. I'd .gif it, but I don't know how!

Any chance you can compress and upload to Youtube or something?

Ken

There is still stuff hidden in Halo 4 apparently, terminals, but I guess skulsl add extra gameplay features, so they want the gameplay options in campaign to be there from the start.

Would be weird doing your first ever campaign playthough on LASO though.

I'm not sure if those extra gameplay features are ideal for one's first campaign run but oh well.

And besides, collecting skulls is fun too and gives additional incentive with the terminals to explore every part of the map.

blamite

It seems really strange to me that skulls aren't hidden anymore, especially since the entire reason they're called skulls in the first place is because they were activated by picking up a physical skull in Halo 2. If they're just options you can toggle without finding them, they might as well just be called "campaign modifiers" or something.

Pop

It seems really strange to me that skulls aren't hidden anymore, especially since the entire reason they're called skulls in the first place is because they were activated by picking up a physical skull in Halo 2. If they're just options you can toggle without finding them, they might as well just be called "campaign modifiers" or something.

Simplify
Simplify
Simplify...

Isn't that what games are doing nowadays.

broony

I'm not sure if those extra gameplay features are ideal for one's first campaign run but oh well.

And besides, collecting skulls is fun too and gives additional incentive with the terminals to explore every part of the map.

Yeah I enjoyed skull hunting in H2, and somewhat in H3 but things like the IWHBYD skull, although hidden really interestingly in H3, would have been almosty impossible to find without people looking in the game data. It may be a continuation of the 'more accessible' theme that H4 is going for.

To be honest, I have so little time these days, if they were hidden I would have just likely used a guide to get them.

TheOddOne

Strange, seing as they made such a big deal about skulls with the Anniversary release. Maybe there are new skulls, but the old skulls are just unlocked from the beginning?

blamite

Simplify
Simplify
Simplify...

Isn't that what games are doing nowadays.

If 343 was really just following all the current gaming trends, all the skulls would be hidden, but you'd be able to buy an unlock code for instant access to them on the marketplace for 400 Microsoft Points. I'm just glad we haven't reached that point yet.

Pop

If 343 was really just following all the current gaming trends, all the skulls would be hidden, but you'd be able to buy an unlock code for instant access to them on the marketplace for 400 Microsoft Points. I'm just glad we haven't reached that point yet.

That makes me cringe reading that.

Aren't microsoft points getting scraped pretty soon? I read it somewhere not too long ago.

I'm pretty pumped for Halo 4 and I'm very happy over some changes (such as sprint not being an armor ability any more, and the loadouts), but there's really been some baffling design decisions:

- Flag autopickup/no dropping/waypoint over carrier: especially the latter is a dealbreaker for me since I took delight in being a sneaky flag carrier. won't be playing ctf apart from one or two games just to check it out.

- removal of assault and other gametypes: why not at least leave them in for custom games? porting gametypes from reach isn't that difficult, is it?

- absence of several popular vehicles (chopper, revenant, falcon, hornet): we have less vehicles than in halo 3, I believe. shit's crazy.

- no hidden skulls: I personally don't care but I can see why people would be upset

- no option to disable the CoD-like clutter on the hud: I'm no expert but I can't imagine that this is hard to implement

- changing art and sound design: the covenant look plain wrong and their weapons lack the alien sound they always had. e.g. fuel rod gun sounds 'off'. if 343i wanted to leave their own mark on the covenant, they should've redesigned weapons, vehicles and equipment or added a new species to the covenant, not redesigned the morphology of our beloved sangheili and kig-yar. :(

- forge: human forge pieces only, built maps still look ugly, the forge canvases lack a proper large, flat area for building such as sandbox

- i'm sure i forgot a few

I hope 343i will reconsider FOR HALO 5

El_Chino

- changing art and sound design: the covenant look plain wrong and their weapons lack the alien sound they always had. e.g. fuel rod gun sounds 'off'. if 343i wanted to leave their own mark on the covenant, they should've redesigned weapons, vehicles and equipment or added a new species to the covenant, not redesigned the morphology of our beloved sangheili and kig-yar. :(
There's a reason why they look like that, they're not your normal covenant.

Shadders

Gonna play Halo4 for the first time this weekend. Interested to see if playing the game changes any of my impressions.

It would be interesting if you wrote up some impressions now, just based off watching videos and then wrote impressions after playing at the weekend.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I don't know why, but i REALLY enjoy the new fuel rod cannon sound effects.

Sounds like you're actually shooting a rod
full of fuel
out of an alien weapon

heckfu

Banned
I'm pretty pumped for Halo 4 and I'm very happy over some changes (such as sprint not being an armor ability any more, and the loadouts), but there's really been some baffling design decisions:

- Flag autopickup/no dropping/waypoint over carrier: especially the latter is a dealbreaker for me since I took delight in being a sneaky flag carrier. won't be playing ctf apart from one or two games just to check it out.

- removal of assault and other gametypes: why not at least leave them in for custom games? porting gametypes from reach isn't that difficult, is it?

- absence of several popular vehicles (chopper, revenant, falcon, hornet): we have less vehicles than in halo 3, I believe. shit's crazy.

- no hidden skulls: I personally don't care but I can see why people would be upset

- no option to disable the CoD-like clutter on the hud: I'm no expert but I can't imagine that this is hard to implement

- forge: human forge pieces only, built maps still look ugly, the forge canvases lack a proper large, flat area for building such as sandbox

- i'm sure i forgot a few

I hope 343i will reconsider

lollllllll I think you're on to something! they will DEFINITELY reconsider all of the above with only 3 weeks until launch.

I saw no such floodsassination in there. You're going to have to post a time stamp.

Seance

Banned
And your impressions are...?
CTF. Dislike the changes. Gameplay becomes very 1 dimensional. No more sneaky caps, no standoffs, no flag pulls to block a cap, no dropping flag if enemy gets a random spawn by you.
Oddball. Throwing the ball turns this mode into a party gametype. Can't imagine a serious game where you can just throw the ball away whenever control is lost.
Dominion. A pretty fun gametype, but shield doors are stupid. Team specific shield doors are straight retarded.

DMR wins, other rifles lose.
Dexterity wins, other support perks aren't nearly as good.
Shielding/Ammo(Infinity Slayer)/Stability. Shielding probably the most useful support upgrade.
Adrift is average, Haven is great, Solace and Abandon are good (MLG maps). BTB maps look fun. All maps look better than all Reach maps.
Banshee OP. Tank OP. Mantis OP.
No forced unscope breaks snipers. BiRi OP regardless.
AR/Storm Rifle/Supressor are good at close range, otherwise worthless.
Slow base movement speed, feels like 3/Reach.
PV is the best AA. TP largely pointless. Holo is powerful. JP is less annoying than Reach (more due to the other gameplay changes, than the JP nerf). Regen field can be very useful when used properly. Auto-sentry sucks. Camo will be the most irritating followed by HLS.
PP in loadouts is going to be abused. Charged shot tracks like a cunt. Magnum is solid. Boltshot very weak outside of it's charged shot mode.

Kill times of rifles akin to H3 BR, but more consistent. BR is easier to wield in CQC than DMR but is still essentially obsolete. DMR bloom is negligible for the majority of encounters. Ordinance weapons/power-ups are extremely strong. CoD style killstreak rewards will stack quickly for good players in pubs, causing extra easy kills.

lollllllll I think you're on to something! they will DEFINITELY reconsider all of the above with only 3 weeks until launch.
hurr durr
I actually wrote "I hope they will reconsider for Halo 5", but somehow that last part got left out.

There's a reason why they look like that, they're not your normal covenant.
Supposedly the unggoy/kig-yar were genetically engineered, but how come the sangheili look different as well? The whole look is just way off.

Supposedly the unggoy/kig-yar were genetically engineered, but how come the sangheili look different as well? The whole look is just way off.
Because that's going to matter when you're fighting them. I think this is one of those problems that people have when they've only been looking at a game. The fact is that what most defines these enemy types is not their graphical detail, but how they behave during gameplay encounters.

Striker

Dexterity wins, other support perks aren't nearly as good.
Shielding/Ammo(Infinity Slayer)/Stability. Shielding probably the most useful support upgrade.
Adrift is average, Haven is great, Solace and Abandon are good (MLG maps). BTB maps look fun. All maps look better than all Reach maps.
Banshee OP. Tank OP. Mantis OP.
The first point is fairly worrisome. Going through AA's, the only one who seem worthwhile, aka not useless would be PV, Camo, and Thruster. The mods will be heavily dependable on the playlist you/I enter, so it's a wash, but overall it does seem like those two are and will be the most popular.

Maps seem fairly good in this launch, unlike Halo 3's and Halo Reach's sets. It's nice. I'm just bummed they are focusing on things like Flood and "Infinity" Slayer as premier gametypes to be used on these; objectives as a whole are severely lacking.

As for that last, it's curious. Where's the Wraith been? I believe I saw it on the Longbow video, but little elsewhere. The Scorpion has no business in regular MP anymore, but it seems like they like it and they bring along another version of it in the Mantis. But with PP and plasma nade starts, it's gonna boil down to that anyways...

S1kkZ

Because that's going to matter when you're fighting them. I think this is one of those problems that people have when they've only been looking at a game. The fact is that what most defines these enemy types is not their graphical detail, but how they behave during gameplay encounters.

agreed. its just a design change (like the new suit of the chief), i hope they dont try to explain it with some stupid retcons. i can fully understand why people are against the visual changes, but i am glad that the elites and jackals look so different.

... that's an incredibly clinical way of looking at it. The Universe has a pre-established art style, part of the "canon".
Slight changes from game to game are one thing, but what they've done with the Grunts, Jackals and Flood go beyond that, changing the nature of the foe.

Same goes for what they did to the Halo Ring in Anniversary.

TheOddOne

agreed. its just a design change (like the new suit of the chief), i hope they dont try to explain it with some stupid retcons. i can fully understand why people are against the visual changes, but i am glad that the elites and jackals look so different.
Blah, I think that is an overblown thing. If it was up to people, nothing would change. Complaining about gameplay changes, now that is something I can get behind.

Fuchsdh

Blah, I think that is an overblown thing. If it was up to people, nothing would change. Complaining about gameplay changes, now that is something I can get behind.

Wanting the gameplay to stay the same seems far more damaging than just wanting characters to remain recognizeable.

FyreWulff

I'm indifferent on skulls (unlocking them all at the start probably results in them actually getting used), but I'd like Blind to just kill the HUD and not the first person weapon for once..

Me too Heckfu. Tis exciting. Shame I've to work and all that, but oh well.
"Complaining about gameplay changes, now that is something I can get behind."
"If it was up to people, nothing would change. "

Pot. Kettle.

Perhaps you were joking?

Moa

I'm indifferent on skulls (unlocking them all at the start probably results in them actually getting used), but I'd like Blind to just kill the HUD and not the first person weapon for once..

Hide them, have achievements for them, people research on what they are, and then they'll be amazed.

They'd get used a lot.

Top Bottom