• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ok, so what about my post was inaccurate?

Text all over the screen
Killstreaks
No friendly fire
No Grenade Pickup
Kill Cams
Perks
Sprint
Loadouts

So I have been following your posts about playing. What part about this is all ripped from CoD an I wrong about? So when I said maybe they should have a playlist called Halo, yeah sarcastic but if you think about it what about Halo has evolved here other than the above? In case you missed it earlier I have the LE and the LE console ordered. Its not like I got out of line and cursed someone out.

On the other hand, you could respond since you played it how I am wrong because all I see in the videos are distractions all over the place. As far as above, I don't like any of them. When I want that I can go play CoD.

I didn't meant bullshit as in wrong. I meant the CoD talk was bullshit. I guess I should have just used shit. My bad.

Text over the screen is the most over talked about thing in Halo 4. I didn't even fucking notice it in the very first game I've played. I've actually never heard impressions from people saying they noticed the text or it even bothering them.

Killstreaks and Personal Ordnance are completely fucking different. I'm sure you know the ways so I don't have to explain them. If you need me to though, just ask.

No friendly fire. I don't know how I feel about this honestly. I don't think I noticed it while playing. Not something I characterize CoD with so in that regard, I don't think it makes it more or less like CoD. It just is what it is.

People have been complaining about grenade spam for years. Seems like a natural evolution. And honestly I was getting tired of all the grenades myself. It's one of my biggest complaints with Reach. Melee's being another one.

I don't like death cam. I wish it wasn't there. I prefer to rotate the camera around either my dead body or my teammates. However, I understand why it was put in, especially with Infinity Slayer. Sure CoD has it but the reasoning behind its implementation wasn't, "hey let's add this from CoD". That's for damn sure.

Armor Mods and perks are certainly similar and even some of the specific ones are the same. However, they don't effect gameplay enough to where it starts to not play like Halo.

Sprint was in Reach and I really liked it. Pretty sure CoD wasn't the first game to have sprint. And who knows, there may have been earlier iterations of Halo with sprint in it that just didn't make the final cut. I like Sprint because of what it does for jumps and just map movement in general. I also like Halo without sprint. I've been pleased with both.

Customizable loadouts is one of the best things to come to Halo. Since Halo 2 we've complained about getting stuck with weapons we didn't like. For example, SMG's and even AR. It just makes sense and honestly it probably took too long to come. They have essentially the best rifles from the entire series for you to choose as your starting weapon. I don't ever have to start with an AR again. That's huge to me.

When it comes down to describing and thinking about the base gameplay for both Halo and CoD, how much of those things you listed actually come into conversation? Halo still plays like Halo.

Sure, you can not like the settings and maybe even some of those things are just not your cup of tea. But you can't just say it's too much like CoD now just because of those things. When you're in a game and you're jumping around the map, getting into fights, teamshooting, backing down and letting your shields recharge and doing all these other things, you'll see that it's still Halo.

Kibbles

Is it true there's no Campaign Theater mode? o_O

Also I see the Dew advertised as a citrus cherry, is this a different flavor than the Halo 3 Game Fuel?

I think Sprint's a great addition. It actually makes for a more interesting choice -- backpedal and shoot, or turn and run away faster? Adds a lot to how you approach situations. I think it makes sense for it to be there by default.

I'm not sure what this means. I thought Frankie said that there'd be a MP trailer "for those who thought this day would never come."
I thought so too. Maybe we'll get it next week. There's so much content dropping right now, we're bound to get it soon.

As for the Tunavi quip, don't worry about it. He has special skills...your post reminded me of them.

I have one last code. Can't just give this out to anyone.

n9Y3R.gif

nillapuddin

updated:
1280 x 720 = Screenshot --> 100%

31x17 + 103x31 = Text --> 0.20%

technically I could even argue it takes up less, thats just the blocks of text.

Tell me again how it is "all over the screen"

Untitled-5_zpsb545ded3.png

so fucking tired of that bs complaint

nillapuddin

jhferry is

because he thinks halo copied cod over everything

I had never heard it brought up before, lots of real original ideas and ways I never interpreted it before.

He might really be onto something.

Pop

If you've played BF3 then you know the white text hardly ever(if at all) gets in the way. I don't even notice it most of the time.

I am being completely honest that it wasn't until someone on HaloGAF told me that the ODST medals popped up in the center of the screen. I guess it is comparable to peripheral vision. When you are playing a game, you focus on the action, not little text pop ups and medals that take up a minuscule percent of the screen. Maybe it is just me, but that is how I see it.

I am being completely honest that it wasn't until someone on HaloGAF told me that the ODST medals popped up in the center of the screen. I guess it is comparable to peripheral vision. When you are playing a game, you focus on the action, not little text pop ups and medals that take up a minuscule percent of the screen. Maybe it is just me, but that is how I see it.

Agreed, I'm someone who leans forward in my chair when i'm not just derping, so i feel i'll look right past the text, and it won't be until I make a sweet play or am safe in cover that I will really notice it.

Agreed, I'm someone who leans forward in my chair when i'm not just derping, so i feel i'll look right past the text, and it won't be until I make a sweet play or am safe in cover that I will really notice it.

haha awesome. I am the exact same way. I can't just sit back and play well. I have to lean forward and stick my face into my monitor for maximum performance.

Sorry Hyper et al; my Xbox froze.
No. It is over with us. Screw you arse! </3
Nah I can't say that to you <3

updated:

Now you spent a lot of time with elementary school math and at the end nobody cares. People will still complain it, will still use the hyperbole that the text is all over screen.

I can't deny that playing the original modern warfare and seeing the +100 (or whatever it was) when killing an enemy was ridiculously satisfying. Call of duty really went to shit after that game in my opinion, but when it works it really fuckin works.

IHaveIce

Banned
Oh man DEXP codes were given out? :(

Still bummed that Europe doesn't get them, totally bullshit marketing.

And for the white text, it is different from person to person, many said they weren't distracted while playing Halo 4, but I was, I never liked games with the text in the middle.

But it's no game-killer

GloveSlap

I think Sprint's a great addition. It actually makes for a more interesting choice -- backpedal and shoot, or turn and run away faster? Adds a lot to how you approach situations. I think it makes sense for it to be there by default.

Sprint is okay as long as kill times are faster to compensate. That was one of the main problems with Reach. They added armor abilities and bloom, but increased the kill times from past Halo games. It made the game tedious and annoying to play.

Gazzawa

Smelzar if ur reading this- I will play halo wars this afternoon and all week if u like. Can't tonight tho. Hydanockz and I r going to a gig tonight to sell drugs to kids.
Peace

Smelzar if ur reading this- I will play halo wars this afternoon and all week if u like. Can't tonight tho. Hydanockz and I r going to a gig tonight to sell drugs to kids.
Peace

Reading you loud and clear G-Wazza, I'm out for the rest of the day, will catch you tomorrow.

Shadders

Does anyone else have 0 interest in double exp?

Typically speaking, I wouldn't care, but because I'm in the UK and can't have DXP, I absolutely want DXP.

Probably to stop griefing and betraying for ordnance. It's really not all that puzzling.

BINGO!

Yeah but Why? Why change everything. It seems like changing everything for the sake of changing it at this point.

It seems to me like they've sat down with a bunch of Halo players - all different types of player - and asked them what they don't like about Halo. I imagine a lot of people would have said "I hate it when I go to get the sniper, but some guy on my team kills me for it"

That's a fairly common complaint about Halo if we're being honest. A lot of the changes that seem controversial - getting rid of weapons spawning in specific locations, drop-in drop-out, customisable loadouts, "perks", etc. These are all the sorts of things you could imagine coming out of focus testing, because they all tackle annoying legacy problems.

Omni

updated:

Untitled-5_zpsb545ded3.png

I don't care about the white text, it's the announcer that annoys me. Sure, after a while you'll learn to ignore everything that he says, but it's a bit much right off the bat, IMO.

Typically speaking, I wouldn't care, but because I'm in the UK and can't have DXP, I absolutely want DXP.
Yeah, we don't get it in Australia either (at least I don't think so). Sucks.

zap

It really is. The whole FUD series up to now has been way better than I ever expected.

I was cautiously optimistic for FUD, it's delivered so much more than I expected, and there are two (action packed) episodes left!

I just hope that the FUD digital copy that comes with the LE is a download code rather than a streaming code.

Jawmuncher

Update: Gave up on halo wars just going to wait until I get back and I have online.

ANYWAY I have a quick question about Halo 4.
Does the game offer a "Classic" control option?
To this day i still hate the switch they did from halo 2 to 3 and decided to keep it going.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Listening to the HaloGAF Radio E3 episode again with myself, Dani, and Shadow and it's pretty damn funny how many relevant points were made that early on.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Listening to the HaloGAF Radio E3 episode again with myself, Dani, and Shadow and it's pretty damn funny how many relevant points were made that early on.

Oh really? I'm going to have to go back and listen to that again at some point. NYCC episode should be up this weekend.

After watching a lot of multiplayer footage, I came to the conclusion that even tho I strongly dislike some changes (especially the abomination that is CTF, and the lack of friendly fire), most of the changes seem to be for the better, and I'd rather have them change a lot and have a few bad changes among them than do the same thing Bungie did for Halo 3/ODST and change too little.

Thank you for evolving Halo, 343i.

My problems with the UI & S.O.S. (Steitzer on Speed) are because they're audiovisually taxing. Your senses are being pelted with so much.
Since the MP reveal in March I've just wanted an option to turn it off. That's all.
NYCC episode should be up this weekend.
Aww, that's good news, been waiting for it.

Jawmuncher

Update: Gave up on halo wars just going to wait until I get back and I have online.

ANYWAY I have a quick question about Halo 4.
Does the game offer a "Classic" control option?
To this day i still hate the switch they did from halo 2 to 3 and decided to keep it going.

Was able to track down the layouts to answer my own question.
Still pretty pissed they have yet to add a "Classic" option.
Seriously we can get all these ridiculous settings that 1% of gamers will use but not one for the Hardcore Halo 1 and 2 fans. Ever since 3 the button swap to this day just irks me so much. Halo is one of the few games I wish had customizable controls. Considering how MLG they are you'd think it would be a given.

nomis

I don't like death cam. I wish it wasn't there. I prefer to rotate the camera around either my dead body or my teammates. However, I understand why it was put in, especially with Infinity Slayer. Sure CoD has it but the reasoning behind its implementation wasn't, "hey let's add this from CoD". That's for damn sure.

Please tell me you aren't serious.

Woorloog

Banned
Wait wait wait... There is no more friendly fire? In any mode? In CTF?

Let's see... i cannot drop the flag. My team cannot kill me. Ok. I'll just stand right here, or so and avoid the enemy team, i won't cap the flag.

EDIT i'm only worried about some potential issues that may arise from it. I'll probably prefer no friendly fire, prevents intentional betrayals and damaging friendlies (for griefing purposes).

EDIT actually, both FF and no FF can be exploited. Hmm. FF allows griefing, no FF allows various other tricks that may be benefical.

Wait wait wait... There is no more friendly fire? In any mode? In CTF?

Let's see... i cannot drop the flag. My team cannot kill me. Ok. I'll just stand right here, or so and avoid the enemy team, i won't cap the flag.

EDIT i'm only worried about some potential issues that may arise from it. I'll probably prefer no friendly fire, prevents intentional betrayals and damaging friendlies (for griefing purposes).

lol is this for real?

hahaha

also who are all these new new people

Conor 419

Banned
Nah but seriously the overall episode was pretty good, the introduction has me very excited to see a Gollum esque Cortana in the new trilogy, and what exciting story possibilities can arise from that. I also loved the introduction to the Spartans and Covenant as well. The officers took some heavy casualties though, god damn. It's a shame they couldn't all just gear up and have a good old fashioned rumble.

Talents

Banned
Friendly fire is awesome when people play properly, unfortunately the Halo community is full of softcocks that just love to betray on purpose and it needed to go. Sucks that people ruined it, but I understand 100% why 343 made that decision.

I'm glad they're removing friendly fire tbh, nothing is more annoying then picking up a power weapon then getting betrayed. Or when your own team keeps shooting you to keep your shields low so the other team can finish you off.

Top Bottom