• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoolader

I was debating jumping on this, but I'm not sure I will like the gloss finish. They have the matte black controllers with the transforming d-pad now, going to jump on one of those.
All the Halo edition controllers are tacky to me, I definitely need a new controller though. I may buy that custom button layout controller thinga magiggy.

Hey, at least they can get grenaded and can get punched through(?)

While that's true, HLS will still lead to frustrating gameplay because not only will there be less grenades around, but they're also weaker and a melee isn't a good option unless you're already close to them.

And lastly, grenades seem "different." I can't put my finger on it... But it's like they don't quite do the damage of before... or maybe the radius is smaller.... or something? But they're still effective quite a bit. Sounds like a good thing, right? Yeah, but for some reason they're not "clicking" for me, and I don't know why.

Maybe you're like me who believes the 'nades shouldn't have been nerfed in blast radius/damage from Reach. We have faster movement speeds (base speed + Sprint), higher jumps, grenade indicators, we lost the ability to pick up nades from bodies without an upgrade or playlist, better strafe, so why did they have to be nerfed?

I'm still waiting till I play the game enough to pass judgment on the 'nades, but I'm sure I'm going to feel the same way you do. Hardly anyone complains about the mini nukes in Halo 1 because they were designed properly.

v Woorlog, weaker 'nades don't make them tactical. They make them unreliable and inconsistent.

heckfu

Banned
Maybe you're like me who believes the 'nades shouldn't have been nerfed in blast radius/damage from Reach. We have faster movement speeds (base speed + Sprint), higher jumps, grenade indicators, we lost the ability to pick up nades from bodies without an upgrade or playlist, better strafe, so why did they have to be nerfed?

v Woorlog, weaker 'nades don't make them tactical. They make them unreliable and inconsistent.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Nades have been nerfed in 4 for good reason. I don't care what the movement speed is, etc, but nades were MUCH too strong in Reach. They are a good tactical weapon in this game to either finish off kills or flush folks out of hiding.
Over, Bobs, Wahrer, Neo, Myyke, Bobs, Fracas and ZooJoo.

One of these things is not like the other.

I think people just haven't figured out its best use yet. It's a means to get into cover safely.

Yea I could definitely see that. I've been darker than DayZ at night time (in regards to Halo 4 information) so I'm not sure how fast you move with it or how long it lasts, but getting from A to B without getting hit is probably its best use.

Zoolader

I reckon an hour or so. What's your GT? I'll shoot you a message when I hop on since my privacy settings are set to "Fort Knox" to prevent spoilers.

send me an invite if more if you need more peeps, it's "zoolader", don't confuse me with that zoojoo clown.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Nades have been nerfed in 4 for good reason. I don't care what the movement speed is, etc, but nades were MUCH too strong in Reach. They are a good tactical weapon in this game to either finish off kills or flush folks out of hiding.

Halo 1 discredits all of this.

Woorloog

Banned

It does make them tactical. Their placement is far more important, short blast radius makes them unreliable if spammed (especially with 'nade indicator) essentially reducing grenade spam's usefulness.. And reduced damage makes them more useful for flushing out enemies from cover or stripping shields, Reach 'nades are killer 'nades. Not fun.
Of course they can be too weak...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Nades are still strong. There are just less of them, there are markers in the HUD now and everyone has sprint. They take more skill to use effectively.

Had to order the headset.... but got this while I was there:

unsccontroller.jpg

tumblr_lk66co1HP91qb5cl9.gif

Ken

Nades are still strong. There are just less of them, there are markers in the HUD now and everyone has sprint. They take more skill to use effectively.

Rainbow Six had a great solution to the grenade problem.

Everyone threw all their grenades at the other team's spawn right from the start so the rest of the match would be grenade-less. It was great. Unless you got hit by one and had to sit out for the next 10 minutes because lololool.

you either have long fuses with strong grenades or short fuses with weak grenades, reach mixed and matched that to terrible results.

This is exactly my point.

Hardly anyone complains about the mini nukes in Halo 1 because they were designed properly.

The blast radius and damage were fine in Reach. People always get confused when talking about grenades as if I'm saying Reach grenades in Reach were fine. No. Those grenades suck..

Halo 1 'nade-play was way more tactical than any Halo game, so that argument is simply not true.

I think people just haven't figured out its best use yet. It's a means to get into cover safely.

The HLS has the most potential to be frustrating to play against in competitive matches when compared to the other AA's IMO, especially with coordinated pairs.

Booshka

Halo 1 discredits all of this.

Well in Halo 1 you could kill a guy with your weapon before his nade even blew up. Every other Halo that same guy can throw a nade, have it blow up and kill you before you could even get his shields down.

I always hear the "In Halo 1 nades were really strong too!" argument. Everything in Halo 1 was strong, so it wasn't a big deal if nades were nukes, because all the guns (except the Needler) could fuck you up quick as well.

BigShow36

Well in Halo 1 you could kill a guy with your weapon before his nade even blew up. Every other Halo that same guy can throw a nade, have it blow up and kill you before you could even get his shields down.

I always hear the "In Halo 1 nades were really strong too!" argument. Everything in Halo 1 was strong, so it wasn't a big deal if nades were nukes, because all the guns (except the Needler) could fuck you up quick as well.

Plus, nades required a good throw to detonate quickly in Halo 1 due to the way their timer was designed. In later games, nades detonate a set time after they contact anything, making them much easier to use and less difference between a good throw and a bad throw.

JHall

Thanks!

I might be willing to go higher. My maximum would probably be $200. What would be best for that amount?

Here.

When it comes to headphones, most require an Astro Mixamp to fully work to their full potential. The V2's come with a soundcard that isn't as good as the mixamp but works just fine. It plugs into a usb port into your Xbox.

Yup, which is why I think the damage/blast radius of Reach would've worked well in Halo 4, especially if the properties (fuse time, throwing distance/angle, momentum, etc.) were changed to fit accordingly.

Plus, nades required a good throw to detonate quickly in Halo 1 due to the way their timer was designed. In later games, nades detonate a set time after they contact anything, making them much easier to use and less difference between a good throw and a bad throw.

About time you support my argument.. even if indirectly lol

Here.

When it comes to headphones, most require an Astro Mixamp to fully work to their full potential. The V2's come with a soundcard that isn't as good as the mixamp but works just fine. It plugs into a usb port into your Xbox.

This is probably what I'll go with. Thanks for the help!

Woorloog

Banned
no, what do you think this is?

apple doesnt make xboxes

Apple devices direct sound to headset via USB? Whaa? Oh, wait, my laptop does that.
Why doesn't Xbox :/ If i wanted to used headset while playing on Xbox i'd need additional headset since my only one is USB one.

Sanjuro

This is probably what I'll go with. Thanks for the help!

Uh, unless you are looking for a PC gaming headset primarily, I wouldn't recommend this pair.

For the value, the Turtle Beach DX12 can be used on both platforms very well. I enjoy the mic monitoring feature as well.

JHall

Uh, unless you are looking for a PC gaming headset primarily, I wouldn't recommend this pair.

For the value, the Turtle Beach DX12 can be used on both platforms very well. I enjoy the mic monitoring feature as well.

Those are also an good option for the value. You can't really go wrong with either headset.

Sanjuro

Those are also an good option for the value. You can't really go wrong with either headset.

I wouldn't argue, unless you're a 360 gamer before a PC. Other way around I would bite on the SteelSeries. The Turtle Beach decoder box comes in handy though. I use it on my computer and PS3 as well. The other you're restricted to USB audio only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom