• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

One thing that kinda bummed me out was the fact that Halo 3's ending seemed to have given them a proper sendoff, so to speak. Even with the legendary ending. Cue Origins and Cortana's prediction that humanity will always be engaged in war, which is reflected by Chief (who's basically humanity's only hope) having to go back into combat with no real lulls since much earlier in his career. :( poor guy.
The thing about it is though, everything we've seen so far from marketing seems stuff that is on the surface. There is definitely (or hopefully) more underlying layers to the story. Much like the Covenant. I expect some twist and turns.

Fun fact: with the obvious exception of dying in combat, Chief is in about his mid-forties. Given the advancements of technology, he still has the potential to live about a hundred years, though there's the question of how all his augmentations + cryosleep affected his lifespan. Really, that might put him closer to 120 years or so. Crazy, isn't it?

Rev3rb

Fun fact: with the obvious exception of dying in combat, Chief is in about his mid-forties. Given the advancements of technology, he still has the potential to live about a hundred years, though there's the question of how all his augmentations + cryosleep affected his lifespan. Really, that might put him closer to 120 years or so. Crazy, isn't it?

Gonna turn into the MGS series. Old Snake... Old Chief...

I'm hoping that Cortana has to be "killed"/destroyed by the end of H4.

*Just to be clear, this is entirely a wish/speculation, I've not been spoiled about anything from Halo 4's narrative.*

Same here. I don't think they'll do it though. Maybe in Halo 6. I think there'd be significant backlash if anything happened to a character as major as her.
Why would you want that? Just to torture Chief? Cortana's a great character.
Biologically, he's more in his mid-30s.
But yes, he could theoretically live that long, it's not at all unusual for people to live beyond 100 in the modern era.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Biologically, he's more in his mid-30s.
But yes, he could theoretically live that long, it's not at all unusual for people to live beyond 100 in the modern era.

Finding some magical cure for Cortana's rampancy would be incredibly lame. This is what happens to AIs, why should she be any different? If handled correctly, it could be really impactful and emotional. Halo campaigns aren't the greatest at making audiences care about the characters or the story. Something like this would take it to the next level.

So, whats going on with those Evil Awakens viral videos and pictures? Didn't a date on one of them point to this weekend..? Did that go anywhere?

Nothing as far as I know.

I don't even know what the point of that whole thing was

Finding some magical cure for Cortana's rampancy would be incredibly lame. This is what happens to AIs, why should she be any different? If handled correctly, it could be really impactful and emotional. Halo campaigns aren't the greatest at making audiences care about the characters or the story. Something like this would take it to the next level.

True, but at the same time why would a miracle cure be incredibly lame, if it was handled well? Isn't that the key to the whole thing? Or say they killed her, and somehow brought her back from some fragments or something? I think they could still have an engaging story without killing her off.

Ted and I are trying to get some perfectionist wins so I can get the Firefight Perfectionist commendation. Basically we need people to carry me. Any takers? Message me on XBL. thatsmytrunks

I think Cortana's rampancy will span all three games but there will be a solution... somehow.

Also, I really hate the fact that the Mendicant Bias subplot will probably be abandoned and forgotten in this new saga. I mean think about it, Bias came back to the good side and kept Chief alive (which is why everything exploding behind Chief didn't ever kill him; he was slowing down the destruction of the ring), and he basically said that while he couldn't amend for his sins of intergalactic genocide, that he had changed and Chief was his example. Won't the Didact know about this since Chief checked the terminals and the Didact scanned his memories? Wouldn't the Didact maybe reconsider being the ancient evil and even appreciate Chief for being "worthy" enough to be saved by Mendicant Bias, who (for the Didact's awakened lifespan) had become purely evil?

The term "nemesis" used to describe the Didact really makes me think it'll start off hostile, but end up in a situation where they're basically equivalent to archrivals in a superhero comic book story. Hell, I could totally see Didact saving Chief from certain death because he's the only one allowed to kill him or something.

What are you guys talking about, Chief died in Sniper Alley in Halo 2. Hamish Beamish delivered us from the Covenant threat, not him.
lol

For something interesting to happen to Chief to perhaps turn him into something resembling an interesting character. Losing his one emotional connection in his life would be a great move that could lead to some interesting character possibilities.

Cortana has long overstayed her welcome, she is an AI, and past her rampancy date. It looks like we're finally going to face her rampancy in Halo 4, and having some actually payoff for that happening has to happen, and hopefully not over the course of 3 games, but one. Going over 3 games is like when a character in a TV show is diagnosed with a terminal stage-4 cancer/they will be dead in weeks, and then they are still alive 6 seasons later, and that cancer hasn't gotten any better, they're still going to "die anytime", but they just keep living.

Fracas

#fuckonami
True, but at the same time why would a miracle cure be incredibly lame, if it was handled well? Isn't that the key to the whole thing? Or say they killed her, and somehow brought her back from some fragments or something? I think they could still have an engaging story without killing her off.

It's been done so many times, the "oh no you have an incurable condition. Wait, there's this new thing that'll fix you that's never been done before!" happy ending. Everyone in this thread fully expects Cortana to somehow become not-rampant. I'd love to see something completely different.

If they did something like you said, where she "dies" then comes back, that could work as well. As long as it's not some cliched moment where chief needs her and she shows up at the last moment or something lol.

I'd love a few curveballs in the story, and that's why I'm so excited to play it. I don't think what's been revealed so far is exactly what we're going to get. I could be wrong though.

Raide

It's been done so many times, the "oh no you have an incurable condition. Wait, there's this new thing that'll fix you that's never been done before!" happy ending. Everyone in this thread fully expects Cortana to somehow become not-rampant. I'd love to see something completely different.

If they did something like you said, where she "dies" then comes back, that could work as well. As long as it's not some cliched moment where chief needs her and she shows up at the last moment or something lol.

I'd love a few curveballs in the story, and that's why I'm so excited to play it. I don't think what's been revealed so far is exactly what we're going to get. I could be wrong though.

She gets inserted into the crispy corpse of 343 Guilty Spark and using all her knowledge of John and the Halo's, she actually uses one to destroy mankind and at the same time outwitting Master Chief.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
New Halo footage? Is there any, some gameplay of anything that isn't spoilerific!

Please, I need it to erase that Jet game from my memory.

Anyone? Help. :(

How about Cortana can be saved, but she would basicly be reset to factory standards. She wouldn't remember anything about the chief and the things they have been through together. If he saves her, he basicly still loses her.

Raide

How about Cortana can be saved, but she would basicly be reset to factory standards. She wouldn't remember anything about the chief and the things they have been through together. If he saves her, he basicly still loses her.

Lines up for a Halo reboot after Halo 6 comes out!

Karl2177

I hope MC goes on a mission to kill some rogue Spec Ops Elite and finds out that this Elite is working with a Precursor. MC then meets the Precursor, while trying to kill the Elite and the Precursor says "the Forerunners were not the first. They were not the last. These shield worlds and rings were not the legacy of their kind. They merely found them." And then MC goes on a giant mission to kill the Elite and stop the Precursor. He succeeds, but the Precursor warns, "There are more of us coming. You cannot fight the inevitable."

Now while MC is trying to find more Precursors he gets attacked by an oddly familiar ship. He gets killed and is reborn by the insurrectionists. MC finds out from the Innie leader that the things that attacked his ship were Prometheans. MC then goes on a bunch of missions to recruit some dudes like the Arbiter, Half-Jaw, Flipyap, Sergeant Johnson, and other cool peeps. So the Prometheans are attacking this human planet and MC goes there and meets Cortana again(who left after MC died). She doesn't want to help Chief because he's working for the Innies. So MC and co. attack the Promethean ship only to find out that the Prometheans are Precursor controlled Forerunners. MC and co. go on more missions and end up attacking the Promethean world of Haven. MC succeeds in his mission and is left with a choice. Blow up Haven or wipe out all life on Haven. If he decides to wipe out all life on Haven the Innie dude is happy.

But something happens at the start of Halo 6 and Precursors are invading Earth(oh no!). MC is back with the UNSC is sent out with Cortana now to recruit more peeps. MC finds out Precursors are attacking everyone's worlds(oh no!). He also finds out that since he is back with the UNSC, the Innie leader hates him. Innie leader's sending all of his forces against MC, but he brainwashed all of them. MC then goes on a giant mission to build a space microphone that will wipe out the Precursors and he succeeds. But the only way to complete the microphone is to attach it to the Ark. MC sends a giant fleet of every species against the Precursors who decided to move the Ark over Earth because lol. The microphone gets attached to the Ark, and MC gets beamed up to some weird ass control room that no one knew existed. Surprise! Captain Keyes and Innie Leader are already there. They tell MC that he can either control the Precursors or destroy them. Innie Leader kills Keyes, and MC kills Innie Leader. Again in some weird twist of space magic, MC gets beamed up to some other weird ass platform. There is this space ghost AI kid that no one cares about and says, "Master Chief. You have three options: shoot the red tube, grab the blue shock thing, or run into the green beam of light. If you pick red, you kill all AI in the galaxy. If you pick blue, you control the AI. If you pick green, everyone merges with an AI." Master Chief tries to discuss, but space child won't budge. Then Chief sacrifices himself with one of the choices. The series ends with some pedo talking to a kid, and the kid asks "Can I hear another story about the Chief" and the pedo grandpa responds with, "Well okay, just one more story." All while ruining the main theme of Marty O'Donnell.

A Uncanny X-Force story ended in a similar way. Psylocke had to kill her lover who had gone insane with power, so that sucks, but he was then reborn with a completely new memory, so that's DOUBLE the tragedy. Really twists the knife in her stomach. The man that she loved was gone, and yet someone who looks, sounds, and feels just like him walks the Earth, completely unaware of their past relationship.

I like this. I like this a lot.

Twist on this, Chief has to go rogue on a series of adventures to restore Cortana's memories.

A Uncanny X-Force story ended in a similar way. Psylocke had to kill her lover who had gone insane with power, so that sucks, but he was then reborn with a completely new memory, so that's DOUBLE the tragedy. Really twists the knife in her stomach. The man that she loved was gone, and yet someone who looks, sounds, and feels just like him walks the Earth, completely unaware of their past relationship.
kinda like nightcrawler who died and has since been replaced by aoa nightcrawler. then everyone's all like "HEY NIGHTCRAWLER SUP BRO LET'S HAVE GOOD TIMES" and he's all "FUCK YOU ALL YOU DON'T KNOW ME".

i need to continue with uncanny x-force, i stopped after that arc. i hear
fantomex gets his face removed and killed, which sucks, 'cause i liked fantomex. he gets right to the point of things and i like that.

kinda like nightcrawler who died and has since been replaced by aoa nightcrawler. then everyone's all like "HEY NIGHTCRAWLER SUP BRO LET'S HAVE GOOD TIMES" and he's all "FUCK YOU ALL YOU DON'T KNOW ME".

i need to continue with uncanny x-force, i stopped after that arc. i hear
fantomex gets his face removed and killed, which sucks, 'cause i liked fantomex. he gets right to the point of things and i like that.

Yeah, that did happen :(

The story right after you stopped SUCKED, but the one-off story after that and the current big one has been very good. Not Dark Angel Saga good, but it's gonna be a fine conclusion to the run.

Korosenai

So I just called my local game store and they said that as soon as they get a shipment in they would sell the game.

So the earliest I could get the game is possibly Friday, Saturday, or Monday. If it's Monday i'm not gonna worry about it and just stick with my Gamestop preorder, though i'd love to have the game and play it this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom