• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hop into BTB, get matched with full team of 8, all of them have insane stats.

nope.gif

There are ~9000 people in BTB right now, and 8 randoms get matched up with them. Why?!

Woorloog

Banned

A question i've asked ever since Halo 3.
Full parties vs full parties, only, please. Even if you have to break players' preferrences (thumbs up/down players, not that any MM system ever cares about this as far as my experience goes).
Mixed parties should be matched against other mixed ones, without lone randoms there, unless the randoms have opted to allow that.

Felix B, ladies and Gentlemen.

ANwu4l.jpg

KFfhKl.jpg

JHall

I wouldn't argue, unless you're a 360 gamer before a PC. Other way around I would bite on the SteelSeries. The Turtle Beach decoder box comes in handy though. I use it on my computer and PS3 as well. The other you're restricted to USB audio only.

I have heard the decoder box does come handy. I have Sennhiesers and a mixamp, but I don't think he wants to pay 400 or so dollars for that lol.

FyreWulff

A question i've asked ever since Halo 3.
Full parties vs full parties, only, please. Even if you have to break players' preferrences (thumbs up/down players, not that any MM system ever cares about this as far as my experience goes).
Mixed parties should be matched against other mixed ones, without lone randoms there, unless the randoms have opted to allow that.

There was a playlist in Reach that did that.

We needed more redundant 4v4 Slayer and 4 man Firefight lists though.

I think it was named Quad Slayer. or Flawed Layer? Can't remember. Sounds familiar.

willow ve

You might be better off getting a cheaper (still decent) pair of stereo headphones and waiting until the 720 to spend a large amount on surround headphones. Hard to buy peripherals in this stage of the console life.

Woorloog

Banned
There was a playlist in Reach that did that.

We needed more redundant 4v4 Slayer and 4 man Firefight lists though.

I think it was named Quad Slayer. or Flawed Layer? Can't remember. Sounds familiar.

Squad Slayer had that? No wonder it felt so good a playlist. The best Reach ever had.
RIP... when? Can't remember anymore.

Highlaw

Banned
Help me, HaloGAF.

I want to buy a gaming headset for Halo 4. My budget is $100 to $150. Any suggestions?

I'd say avoid any gaming headsets (from TurtleBeach, Astro, Razer, SteelSeries, Tritton, etc) and stick to companies trusted by audiophiles, especially if you have a tight budget. Best bang for the buck.

If you don't mind open-back headphones, Sennheiser HD555/595's are a good starting point. at around 200$ you can get the HD555's with Astro's Mixamp for surround sound and neat utilitiy. This way you get comfy, quality headphones that perform better than almost any gaming headset out there, at a low(er) price.

EvB

You guys discussed the Tritton Warheads yet? I saw a Halo 4 flavored pair when I swung through Gamestop last night and almost bite....

I got a pair the other day, after a couple of bad experiences where the headset was turned off and the TV was on really loud, I've started enjoying them.

The surround effect is pretty convincing, I can tell where players are in Reach from the sound. I've heard a few subtle sounds I'd never really noted before.

Coming with a spare battery to charge in the receiver is a great idea too.

I like the fact a light comes on at tge end of tge mic stalk when you are muted.
You have separate volume dials for game and voice and being 100% wireless is liberating too.

I also, like the sound of my own voice, so I was pleased to see there was an optional voice monitor mode. Handy for late night silent gaming when traditionally I'd of been yelling through not being able to hear myself

IHaveIce

Banned
Hop into BTB, get matched with full team of 8, all of them have insane stats.

nope.gif

There are ~9000 people in BTB right now, and 8 randoms get matched up with them. Why?!

You know what is also awesome,

Me (decent to ok player)
Scrubguy
Scrubguy(1)
Scrubguy(2)
Scrubguy(3)

vs

Full team of Players with high stats and are above average.

The full party matching was bullshit in Halo 3 and it is in Reach, how is a group of guests the same to a full party of real players?

FyreWulff

Squad Slayer had that? No wonder it felt so good a playlist. The best Reach ever had.
RIP... when? Can't remember anymore.

Yep. Parties against parties, randoms against randoms. If you went in as a party of 5, you got matched against parties of 4+1 random and 5 man parties. If you searched by yourself you ended up mostly playing against other full-random games.

Also, since it was intended to be played by 4-split boxes, minimal Forge variants.

Just a headsup to any Irish HaloGaffers who may have pre-ordered at Gamestop, Smyths or Xtra-Vision, there is a competition here to win an invitation to the Launch Party on Novembr 5th in Dublin, the LE edition of the game, 2100MSP, a 12 month sub of Gold and for you and 2 friensd you can get Halo 4 t-shirts and lanyards.

You'll need proof of your preorder though so whatever receipt you miht have gotten.

Also, the message displayed after submitting seems to be wrong. It says it ended on October 22nd but it states on the T&C that it ends on the 29th with winners chosen on the 31st.

I spot an N64 controller, what game(s) were you guys playing on it, Devin?

We were at one of my friends house... We started the night with a Mario Party drinking game.

Needless to say things escalated rather quickly.

Quick and dirty rules.

Coins = Drinks (This means if you get 10 coins (win a mini game) you are able to hand out 10 drinks to any of the other teams. Alternatively if you lose coins at any point you have to drink... 1 coin = 1 second of drinking basically)

Star = Finish your drink (simple enough)

And I think that's pretty much it... It's a ton of fun and would recommend it to anyone.

We also played Mario Kart, Wave Race and a few others... But Mario Party was definitely the highlight.

Omni

Good thread on Bungie.net.
I see his point really. Adding damage to the user's grenades AND increasing their resistance to grenade damage - It sounds so ridiculous. A clusterfuck of grenade spam waiting to happen.

Which leads me to another point, made in the same thread: "There is no point in making armor mods if you're going to make key mechanics of the game become armor mods." I couldn't agree more. Why they hell do we need an armour mod to pick up grenades that are on the map? I've never, ever, ever been in a Halo game where the grenade spamming wasn't solved by lowering the amount of grenades given at spawn to one. What's next, an armour mod that lets you pick up weapons? One that lets you reload? To be able to jump? (or more likely, one that lets you 'scavenge' ammo from dead players...)

I'm almost certain that at least half of these things they just blatantly copied from CoD are going to be the focal bitching issue after release.

We were at one of my friends house... We started the night with a Mario Party drinking game.

Needless to say things escalated rather quickly.

Quick and dirty rules.

Coins = Drinks (This means if you get 10 coins (win a mini game) you are able to hand out 10 drinks to any of the other teams. Alternatively if you lose coins at any point you have to drink... 1 coin = 1 second of drinking basically)

Star = Finish your drink (simple enough)

And I think that's pretty much it... It's a ton of fun and would recommend it to anyone.

We also played Mario Kart, Wave Race and a few others... But Mario Party was definitely the highlight.

Awesome.

BravoHalo

I'd say avoid any gaming headsets (from TurtleBeach, Astro, Razer, SteelSeries, Tritton, etc) and stick to companies trusted by audiophiles, especially if you have a tight budget. Best bang for the buck.

If you don't mind open-back headphones, Sennheiser HD555/595's are a good starting point. at around 200$ you can get the HD555's with Astro's Mixamp for surround sound and neat utilitiy. This way you get comfy, quality headphones that perform better than almost any gaming headset out there, at a low(er) price.

this. as someone who has promoted many of the above brands, I am still currently using senn 515's / 555's for console and pc, respectively.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Pretty sure HD555's are stereo. Also, they're headphones, not a headset. Do you need the built in mic Hitmon? If not then yea, HD555's are amazing.

If I were in your shoes I would wait until I can spend a little more money and then you can pair an Astro Mixamp with a great headset for around 300$. That's just what I did.

Anyone have a link to the Halo Reach community tournament we had back in the early days of Reach? Anyone even remember that, haha?

I remember it being pretty epic in actually getting a ton of communities to come together -didnt neogaf place in the semi's?

I also remember avoiding it because it was Reach lol. I hope theres a Halo 4 community tourney.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I remember it being pretty epic in actually getting a ton of communities to come together -didnt neogaf place in the semi's?

I also remember avoiding it because it was Reach lol. I hope theres a Halo 4 community tourney.
If it's the one I remember, we got spawn locked on Tempest.

And so began our wicked ways...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

Yeah I need a list of all the communities who participated.

Roche

Just a headsup to any Irish HaloGaffers who may have pre-ordered at Gamestop, Smyths or Xtra-Vision, there is a competition here to win an invitation to the Launch Party on Novembr 5th in Dublin, the LE edition of the game, 2100MSP, a 12 month sub of Gold and for you and 2 friensd you can get Halo 4 t-shirts and lanyards.

You'll need proof of your preorder though so whatever receipt you miht have gotten.

Also, the message displayed after submitting seems to be wrong. It says it ended on October 22nd but it states on the T&C that it ends on the 29th with winners chosen on the 31st.

I haven't pre ordered Halo 4 and I managed to enter without submitting any proof, if you go to the Smyths version they don't ask.

Just thought I'd let other Irish Gaffers know. (Though I doubt there's many in this thread who haven't pre ordered it.)

Yeah I need a list of all the communities who participated.

Its strange how much of a distant memory it is - I do remember someone kept a tourney placings chart updated at the time - have no idea how to even go about finding that now :/ - who even won the thing?

I remember schoolyd posting on Gaf to try and organise a match to see who got third place - but all of you ignored him lol. If you can find those posts it should lead you back to the other posts relating to the tourney.

Also stay safe guys who are in the danger zone for the hurricane!

FyreWulff

It was laid to rest when they made it TU settings.

That was pretty funny.. considering it barely had anything the TU touched. But then again, they added the TU to Multi Team.. an AR start playlist with Rocket Hog Race. Because what people were yearning for in Rocket Hog Race was bleedthrough and 85% bloom.

So let's go over the features Squad Slayer had:

- party vs party
- No Camo
- No Armor Lock
- All developer maps

deleted instead of a playlist that was a clone of regular Team Slayer, just with TU settings, including loads of community variants, armor lock and camo in loadouts.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
http://halo.bungie.org/misc/HCT/

Such a great writeup. I want to do another one of these so bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiI_CWTEJwg&feature=player_embedded

This shit was fucking hilarious

"kyle J clutches it and tosses the flag up. He's yelling to me … that he's going to die in mid-air while lifting up. I'm hoping that he makes it long enough for the flag to reach me. It does. I'm running it inside the tower, frantically asking my teammates, ‘Where do I go? Should I just drop it down?’ Tawpgun, who's flying the Banshee, says, ‘Wanna try something crazy?’ I immediately know what he's talking about. He wants me to ride on his Banshee and score the flag that way. I'm still running in that direction, but I'm still undecided. What do I do? Tawpgun flies [the] Banshee right into me, dropping my shields. It was definitely a laugh-out-loud moment, but we were all worried about not capturing the flag. Of course, the other team lifts up and kills me easily. [Tawpgun] also gets shot down in the Banshee. We end up capturing the flag and winning the series, so we were able to have a laugh at it later on.”"

That was pretty funny.. considering it barely had anything the TU touched. But then again, they added the TU to Multi Team.. an AR start playlist with Rocket Hog Race. Because what people were yearning for in Rocket Hog Race was bleedthrough and 85% bloom.

- party vs party
- No Camo
- No Armor Lock
- All developer maps

deleted instead of a playlist that was a clone of regular Team Slayer, just with TU settings, including loads of community variants, armor lock and camo in loadouts.
has there been any official word as to why squad slayer was removed? it just seemed like a dick move all around.

Highlaw

Banned
Pretty sure HD555's are stereo. Also, they're headphones, not a headset. Do you need the built in mic Hitmon? If not then yea, HD555's are amazing.

If I were in your shoes I would wait until I can spend a little more money and then you can pair an Astro Mixamp with a great headset for around 300$. That's just what I did.

Well, imo, it's always a better option to buy good quality stereo headphones and get virtual surround sound (through Astro's mixamp) instead of getting headsets with 4 small drivers in each earcup, which end up with delivering mediocre sound quality and aren't good for anything outside of gaming (movies/music) compared to sterio headphones at least.

In fact, most surround-sound advertised headsets nowadays are stereo and use Dolby tech to get virtual surround - not that there's anything wrong with that, it's the best solution if you ask me.

If the headphones have good soundstage, then they'll have good surround sound too - I think (not an expert myself)

About the microphone, I have a zalman mic attached to my sennheisers, and no one complained about the quality thus far (2 years now). Of course if Hitmonchan wants a boom mic he can either buy one and glue it in, or get a headset (from a trusted company)

My advice:
- Astro Mixamp
- Any non-gaming stereo headphone/headset of your choice
- (in case of headphones) cheap microphone, like a zalman mic

Enfinit

So make the voice come through speakers (headphones) as well? Seems clunky but I guess that'd work ok

That's the problem. While Sennheiser has incredible sound quality (not much better than any high-end gaming headset), and it's cheaper, wearing the headset along with a 360 mic around your neck is kinda a hassle for me.

However, the good thing about Sennheiser's is that they can be used for music, movies, etc. outside of gaming. I use them for audio mixing and DJ'ing along with my 360, and they're fantastic.

I don't need it, but I'd rather not use a separate mic. I guess ultimately sound quality comes first since I'm buying them for campaign/Spartan Ops immersion.

Sanjuro

If anyone is looking for just a basic headset, I've been sitting on this Sennheiser X320 from PAX East this year. I just have no use for it.

uwp5H.jpg

- party vs party
- No Camo
- No Armor Lock
- All developer maps

Squad Slayer had camo. Adding the TU was justified simply because the DMR and Needle Rifle existed in the playlist (plus the camo crap). The day squad slayer was removed was easily the worst day in Reach's lifespan.

Look at all these bells going off, biggy!

I was actually thinking about it a while ago - last time Neogaf tried the tourney I was making posts saying "who the hell ran the community tourney - get those guys to do it" - didn't realise those guys where from Neogaf! Thats awesome. Im guessing you are trying to kick it off for Halo 4? :p

I remember it being a pretty awesome night where it seemed like the community really came together - I mean I dont play Reach but just following along Neogaf and HBO was fun. Would love it if it happened again for a game I enjoy playing - would be awesome to participate.

FyreWulff

has there been any official word as to why squad slayer was removed? it just seemed like a dick move all around.

Nope. Just as much official reasoning as to why they converted preexisting playlists to TU and then debuted new non-TU playlists after converting the pre-existing vanilla experiences.

"default reach will remain default reach"

*one vanilla playlist remains in Reach*

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Ok so it looks like no Halo 4 multiplayer for me (and Halo 4 in general if that is the case, I will cancel preorder in the next few days). The problem still persists, I went onto Xbox Support Chat, turning off didn't brick console, long story short in the end they asked me to send in console for bargain price of $100!... there is nothing wrong with my console, everything is fine only thing not fine is the update.

Very disappointing. By far the shittest piece of console hardware ever (2nd Xbox).

Can't process update 3CD6 - 3F45 - 1380 - 2446 - C000 - 0185, shit just downloads the update and doesn't even try applying now, that's what I get.

I search online all I see is stuff about modded consoles, my console aint modded, only thing I can think of is maybe my power supply is from my old 360, maybe... but that has never been a problem updating.

There should be a method of "purging" dashboard updates.

Something along the lines of holding teh sync button while turning or off. Might help clear the corrupted update information and allow a fresh update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom