• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I got too many PMs. Not sure who to sell it to damnit.

by senority... so, clearly me.

also, i have a 2 year old, on nov 6th no less, and a second child dec 21st. if anyone needs headsets to enjoy halo 4, i reckon its me.

nomis

I have the HD555's paired with an astro mix amp and love em. There is a guy who does a beautiful job on custom headphone modding, and actually built a mic into my HD555's. Works better than any headset out there in terms of quality I'd say. Take a look through his stuff, mine are the yellow and black ones.

https://plus.google.com/photos/105260319829322659756/albums?banner=pwa

IMG_1812.JPG

The ports on the cable tips and the end of the boom mic all look high quality and well finished as FUCK.

Highlaw

Banned
That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's nice to keep them on and hear a person talking next to you. However, what would you suggest for what I want?
Well, I don't know. I'm not an audiophile myself, and I only have a pair of headphones (for gaming and editing) that I use mostly at home.

It really depends on what you want.
-Open back headphones have a more natural sound, which is better for serious editing (good speakers are the best option for this purpose ofc), and by design they have a better soundstage (better simulated surround sound).
-Closed back headphones isolate sound, which is the only option for LANs, public places, and (I assume) DJ work. Bass is generally more prevalent (which might be good or bad depending on your tastes)

If you are looking for a headset that should be useful everywhere then my advice is a closed back design.

In any case, try to look at these first before turning your eye towards gaming headsets:
Sennheiser, Shure, Audio-Technica, AKG

I doubt you'll find many detachable microphones outside gaming headsets, but look around

Sanjuro

Set them as numbers 1-whatever the total is. And ill pick a number at random.

Yeah, if that is alright with everyone that would make sense.

Just to clarify I'll give the rundown on the headset again. It's the Sennheiser X320. Ended up winning it at PAX East this year. It's opened, wanted to check if the audio carried via USB (which it does not). It's really only designed for the XBOX 360. Uses the RCA plugs to carry the audio. Has dials separating the voice and game chat as well as bass boost. When you flip the microphone up, it mutes the headset.

I have the Turtle Beach DX12, so really don't have a need.

Enfinit

Well, I don't know. I'm not an audiophile myself, and I only have a pair of headphones (for gaming and editing) that I use mostly at home.

It really depends on what you want.
-Open back headphones have a more natural sound, which is better for serious editing (good speakers are the best option for this purpose ofc), and by design they have a better soundstage (better simulated surround sound).
-Closed back headphones isolate sound, which is the only option for LANs, public places, and (I assume) DJ work. Bass is generally more prevalent (which might be good or bad depending on your tastes)

If you are looking for a headset that should be useful everywhere then my advice is a closed back design.

In any case, try to look at these first before turning your eye towards gaming headsets:
Sennheiser, Shure, Audio-Technica, AKG

I doubt you'll find many detachable microphones outside gaming headsets, but look around

Your suggestions are grand. Thank you good sir.

Karl2177

Your suggestions are grand. Thank you good sir.

To endorse one of them, I have a pair of Audio Techinca M50s right next to me that I use for gaming, a rare mix here and there, and just in general listening to music. Although many people will tell you headphone burn in is a myth, over about 50 hours or so my quality started to slowly improve. No mic option, but I just downgrade to a set of computer speakers and use the default Xbox mic or I use the M50s and have the mic around my neck.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yeah, if that is alright with everyone that would make sense.

Just to clarify I'll give the rundown on the headset again. It's the Sennheiser X320. Ended up winning it at PAX East this year. It's opened, wanted to check if the audio carried via USB (which it does not). It's really only designed for the XBOX 360. Uses the RCA plugs to carry the audio. Has dials separating the voice and game chat as well as bass boost. When you flip the microphone up, it mutes the headset.

I have the Turtle Beach DX12, so really don't have a need.

I choose number 4

Hehe

m23

Comes out on Tuesday.

I wonder when the reviews start coming out, I thought it would be out today but didn't see any. I've heard the game has some technical problems, possible the embargo has been kept closer to launch from fear of lower scores affecting sales. I've heard publishers allow earlier lifts to embargoes if they are confident in their games, seeing as reviews aren't even out yet for AC3...Ubi may be worried about quality. Just an idea.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Hey if I'm one of those people you can just give it to op_ivy. Two kids? Not only do his ears need some comfort, but his wallet does too I'm sure lol..

I'll just scour around some more until I get lucky.

-EDIT-

Welp this was in vein lol - enjoy.

hehe, its actually all about ensuring the kids, and wife, sleep while i get in the only gaming i can...

thanks tashi, for reals this time, and sanjuro!

FyreWulff

Hey guys, I just bought my first mountain dew XP from Wal-Mart. How exactly does this whole XP work?

Get code, put into website.

Seriously though, if Beeklematter hadn't given me the headsup on it, I wouldn't have found it.

Beeklematter's tip: Elkhorn No Frills,

NOT at:

South Omaha No Frills @ 36th & Q
the other South Omaha No Frills @ 52nd and H
Bellevue No Frills
Bellevue Wal Mart
Papillion Wal Mart
South Omaha Hy Vee
Midtown Hy Vee
West Omaha Wal Mart @ 72nd and whatsthatstreet
West Omaha Wal Mart @ 115th & L
Council Bluffs Wal Mart
Bakers on Saddle Creek

The Halo 3 version was at all those stores :/

Sanjuro

Get code, put into website.

Seriously though, if Beeklematter hadn't given me the headsup on it, I wouldn't have found it.

Beeklematter's tip: Elkhorn No Frills,

NOT at:

Bellevue No Frills
Bellevue Wal Mart
Papillion Wal Mart
South Omaha Hy Vee
Midtown Hy Vee
Council Bluffs Wal Mart
Bakers on Saddle Creek

The Halo 3 version was at all those stores :/

You went to all those stores? Yikes.

FyreWulff

You went to all those stores? Yikes.

They're all in my normal rotation anyway. Also I still don't understand how Omaha supports 8-9 24 hour Wal Marts. All but one or two of those stores in that list are open 24 hours. Mindblowing when you go to a gigantic city like Vancouver and everything closes at 9-10.

willow ve

They're all in my normal rotation anyway. Also I still don't understand how Omaha supports 8-9 24 hour Wal Marts. All but one or two of those stores in that list are open 24 hours. Mindblowing when you go to a gigantic city like Vancouver and everything closes at 9-10.

'Merica

Pop

Same here. Every store is closed by 10pm except for Wal-Mart. Who wants to go to Wal-Mart, cause I don't.

NOT at:

Bellevue No Frills
Bellevue Wal Mart
Papillion Wal Mart
South Omaha Hy Vee
Midtown Hy Vee
Council Bluffs Wal Mart
Bakers on Saddle Creek