• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korosenai

Arnie - If you or anyone wanted to do a serious thread about your issues with the game, I don't think there'd be a problem with that.

We're really big these days, you'll find all sorts with all different kinds of perspectives.

I'd actually like to see that.

A "Halo 4 Changes" gaming side thread. Would be interesting to see what people who don't frequent HaloGAF think about it.

Bout time they livestream the game.

They don't even need to waste a single marketing dollar they just need to play some MP on a livestream and post it all over facebook/twitter. Anyone that has Halo has a computer or a friend who reads the stuff.

Never understand these marketing "wizards"

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I guess I haven't been paying close attention to Halo 4 but it seems like Halo GAF aren't big fans of the changes 343 have made. That's disappointing. Hopefully it turns out well in the end because I was hoping to get back into Halo multiplayer this time around, but based on some of those descriptions in the temp OT I understand the concerns.

I wouldn't let a salty joke OT speak for everyone. I think we've all got some issues here or there with the game, but most of us still think it looks solid (and plays that way from hands-on). Much better than Reach at the very least.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Played local with a friend a few hours ago, its pretty fun but I don't think anyone can say how MP will turn out until a month or so after release.

Did you try Slayer Pro or at least tweaking the settings to match it if you could locally?

I am thinking it is going to have a pretty big community.

wwm0nkey

Did you try Slayer Pro or at least tweaking the settings to match it if you could locally?

I am thinking it is going to have a pretty big community.

No we just played Regicide and Infinity Slayer, hopefully the bans stop so I can play Slayer Pro online soon.

(still wish this was clear on when retail copies can safely play)

Arnie

Arnie - If you or anyone wanted to do a serious thread about your issues with the game, I don't think there'd be a problem with that.

I'm almost certain we'll have that thread, whether it's penned by me or someone else, a few weeks after launch. I know it's not what people want to hear, and I know everyone's buzzing for the game (I am too), but I've got a really bad feeling in my gut about this one. I've seen small changes ruin games: Gears 2, Reach. Halo 4's alterations seem on a different scale to me, and whilst we may not notice it straight away (the core mechanics appear back to normal), the added stuff (armour mods, ordnance, experience system, return of AA's) will, I fear, be on a par with those other games in terms of sending the franchise in the wrong direction.

Again, that there isn't a single innovation or fresh idea in the entire multiplayer suite of a new Halo sets off warning lights in my head. That each new edition can be traced back to Call of Duty sets off nukes in my brain.

Oh, and another line that made me laugh out loud in Kyle's OT was the one about FUD squeezing blood from a stone.

willow ve

I'm almost certain we'll have that thread, whether it's penned by me or someone else, a few weeks after launch. I know it's not what people want to hear, and I know everyone's buzzing for the game (I am too), but I've got a really bad feeling in my gut about this one. I've seen small changes ruin games: Gears 2, Reach. Halo 4's alterations seem on a different scale to me, and whilst we may not notice it straight away (the core mechanics appear back to normal), the added stuff (armour mods, ordnance, experience system, return of AA's) will, I fear, be on a par with those other games in terms of sending the franchise in the wrong direction.

It will be very interesting to see how the mechanics play out with all the skill, lag, host, douchebaggery, assholery, competitiveness, griefers, etc. on Xbox Live with a huge community and YouTube which helps pass around any and all exploits in a very timely manner.

Kylej BEST OT said:
HaloGAF!
Used to be cool.

HBO
Terrible layout. Run by a really old guy who seems nice.

Bungie.net forums
Idiots

Tied The Leader
Pretty sure these kids are all sensitive and play to feel good or whatever. You see TTL [gamertag] around sometimes. If you see TTL in a matchmaking lobby you've guaranteed a free win.

rampancy.net
No idea. Sounds nerdy.

Forward Unto Dawn
Site devoted to the Halo story, I think. Basically they spend a lot of time squeezing blood from a stone.

Halo Waypoint
Terrible

Major League Gaming
Used to be an important part of Halo. Now MLG Halo is pretty much dead because they decided to focus on asians who click their mouse and play boring Blizzard games.

Forge Hub
Got yelled at by Shishka for trying to improve Halo 3 maps.

I could not stop laughing through this bit

Again, that there isn't a single innovation or fresh idea in the entire multiplayer suite of a new Halo sets off warning lights in my head. That each new edition can be traced back to Call of Duty sets off nukes in my brain.
See for me, I certainly don't like certain things. The lack of options are especially damning.

HOWEVER, just like Monument and wwmonkey falling over themselves in praise at the campaign earlier, I think it's way too early to know whether the MP will be "great" or not. We probably won't really know for 12 months.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
See for me, I certainly don't like certain things. The lack of options are especially damning.

HOWEVER, just like Monument and wwmonkey falling over themselves in praise at the campaign earlier, I think it's way too early to know whether the MP will be "great" or not. We probably won't really know for 12 months.

Exactly. Now I just need to figure out a way to say things like this without Over and Hydra on my case for loving Halo too much.

Rtas

It will be very interesting to see how the mechanics play out with all the skill, lag, host, douchebaggery, assholery, competitiveness, griefers, etc. on Xbox Live with a huge community and YouTube which helps pass around any and all exploits in a very timely manner.

I could not stop laughing through this bit

For the bit posted by KyleJ about MLG being important to halo, I very nearly screamed at my laptop, I'm sorry but the ACTUAL MLG was important in terms of raising awareness about the game and bringing it to a Professional level, however the idiots that crowded into matchmaking with MLG in their GT's or as their service numbers, and filled the in game chat with screams of "I'M MLG PRO SONNNNN" or "OMG YOU'RE SUCH A N00B YOU STOLE MY KILL" were the single worst thing to happen to Halo, and actually caused me to play barely any Halo 3 online.

Arnie

I respect that, and I'd love to be proven wrong, but because each and every change in this is something I've played before in a multitude of other games, I feel pretty safe in the knowledge that killstreaks, or 'ordnance', won't do anything for me. The idea of starting from level 1 and ranking up experience to unlock visual treats is genuinely tiring to me, I'm apathetic towards it. I was loving that experience in 2007, now I shrug and sigh.

I'm completely open minded about campaign and SPOPS though, in fact I'm really looking forward to them. The lack of imagination and innovation in multiplayer is frightening to me, however. I can't really understand how they thought it matched audience's expectation for a new, mainline Halo title, to be brutally honest.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
As excited as I am for the release, I am also pretty excited to see how 343 handles fixes and balancing things. If they choose to listen to community feedback that is.

As excited as I am for the release, I am also pretty excited to see how 343 handles fixes and balancing things. If they choose to listen to community feedback that is.

Lets just hope they choose representatives from the community rather than the lowest common denominator.

my prediction: they'll find the playlist enjoyed most by those other than ar rushing masses and cut it.

jinx personal padlock!

Pop

Played local with a friend a few hours ago, its pretty fun but I don't think anyone can say how MP will turn out until a month or so after release.

That doesn't sound to good.

What do you mean by turn out? The settings are there for you. Playlist does account towards "fun" but the the game has to play well.

Zoolader

Can somebody please tell me how to change my backround theme on my 360? I've done it countless times in the past and now I just spent 15 minutes trying to find it while watching outdated youtube videos.

BigShow36

Seems like people who have played are split on MP, right?

It seems that the general consensus is that the core gameplay is a step back in the right direction, but all the extra changes and superfluous bs is worrying. The randomization of a lot of the mechanics and the removal of player choice in many instances is a big turn-off.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what are the thoughts on which AAs you guys plan to use? Think Promethean Vision will actually be OP? I personally liked thrusters a lot, but need to try out the others.

Oh, Hydra <3

I respect that, and I'd love to be proven wrong, but because each and every change in this is something I've played before in a multitude of other games, I feel pretty safe in the knowledge that killstreaks, or 'ordnance', won't do anything for me. The idea of starting from level 1 and ranking up experience to unlock visual treats is genuinely tiring to me, I'm apathetic towards it. I was loving that experience in 2007, now I shrug and sigh.

I'm completely open minded about campaign and SPOPS though, in fact I'm really looking forward to them. The lack of imagination and innovation in multiplayer is frightening to me, however. I can't really understand how they thought it matched audience's expectation for a new, mainline Halo title, to be brutally honest.

I know you know what you'd like to see (or not see) in MP but I don't think you know what the audience wants to see. I don't think the audience knows either. Lke Zeouterlimits said, the first 12 months will be telling.

wwm0nkey

That doesn't sound to good.

What do you mean by turn out? The settings are there for you. Playlist does account towards "fun" but the the game has to play well.

Its local, all I can say is pretty fun. I mean its way better than Reach's local play.

blamite

Can somebody please tell me how to change my backround theme on my 360? I've done it countless times in the past and now I just spent 15 minutes trying to find it while watching outdated youtube videos.

Social tab > Click on your avatar > change theme I think

If you want to use a custom image you find it in the picture viewer app and then press Y.

So what are the thoughts on which AAs you guys plan to use? Think Promethean Vision will actually be OP? I personally liked thrusters a lot, but need to try out the others.

Oh, Hydra <3

I have always really enjoyed Hologram. The only downside I used to have with it was I was losing sprint as a result. Now that won't be the case. I absolutely believe Hologram will be my personal counter to PV users but I can still use it to dupe other peeps too.

Can't wait to try out Thruster too though. HLS seems nifty too.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Oh, Hydra <3
Probably thruster pack. I love being fast and agile: evading into cover, throwing off an enemy's aim, dodging vehicles and rockets, stuff like that.

Arnie

I know you know what you'd like to see (or not see) in MP but I don't think you know what the audience wants to see. I don't think the audience knows either. Lke Zeouterlimits said, the first 12 months will be telling.

Any repetition's also got to be attributed to my current state of fatigue, but I get what you're saying.

You believe we won't know how the audience shall react until the game's been in our mitts for a substantial period of time, I don't see it as that cloudy a situation. I don't think Halo fans, at least unanimously, will take to Halo 4 multiplayer like they did 2 and 3. I think Halo 4's audience feedback will be extremely polarised in the same vein as Reach. This isn't good for the franchise. Reach wasn't good for the franchise. How many misses can the franchise afford before it's overall player base does tail off for good, rather than sit an iteration out and hope for the best next time (as I know some have done for Reach)?

Zoolader

Social tab > Click on your avatar > change theme I think

If you want to use a custom image you find it in the picture viewer app and then press Y.

OH MY GOD. Thank you so much for the help! If I ever have something to give away....

Man what a fucking stupid place to hide that, it use to be so easy to find.

edit: I just remembered Sai-kun giving me the downloadable Radiohead KoL album a few days ago, that I've been enjoying thoroughly! So I should return the favor to him sooner. But you will not be forgotten friend.

Karl2177

That was pretty good kyle. My new laptop should arrive Friday or Saturday. Tashi, assuming you get power before I'm done, I'll continue working on it in one of the computer labs.

blamite

OH MY GOD. Thank you so much for the help! If I ever have something to give away....

Man what a fucking stupid place to hide that, it use to be so easy to find.

Haha, no problem.

As much as newer dashboards have made certain high-level navigational things easier, the number of things lie this that slowly get more hidden seems to keep growing.

Any repetition's also got to be attributed to my current state of fatigue, but I get what you're saying.

You believe we won't know how the audience shall react until the game's been in our mitts for a substantial period of time, I don't see it as that cloudy a situation. I don't think Halo fans, at least unanimously, will take to Halo 4 multiplayer like they did 2 and 3. I think Halo 4's audience feedback will be extremely polarised in the same vein as Reach. This isn't good for the franchise. Reach wasn't good for the franchise. How many misses can the franchise afford before it's overall player base does tail off for good, rather than sit an iteration out and hope for the best next time (as I know some have done for Reach)?

People hated Halo 2, Halo 3 and ODST. Poor Halo Wars gets a lot of hate too man. You'll never ever please every audience. That's the nature of change. You lose some fans here but you gain some fans over there.

Fuchsdh

Haha, no problem.

As much as newer dashboards have made certain high-level navigational things easier, the number of things lie this that slowly get more hidden seems to keep growing.

I still like it a lot more than the blades (ducks)...

except for the ads. That crap shouldn't be plastered everywhere for Gold subs. We could use the extra four tiles to actually pin stuff straight to our screen, not jump into another menu (which isnt any faster for me than the old quickplay.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom