• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

I guess this begs the question... Who the fuck cares if someone hits max rank in the first day/week/month? They don't get an achievement, there are no leader boards, and they keep saying nothing you unlock is going to give you a definite advantage.

If some kid wants to grind his ass in Grifball then let him grind.

Business wise, it keeps players from feeling they have to participate in the black market to stay competitive, and keeps players from burning through all the content and trading in your game. It also prevents rampant second accounting, which devalues Trueskill matchmaking.

Well, being able to patch in stuff like campaign theater bodes well for the future of Halo 4.

I hope they reconsider their approach to CTF and at least patch out autopickup.

I'd be sorta-okay with the flagnum, waypoint and no drop, but autopickup is just insane. There is no justification for it. None.

willow ve

Business wise, it keeps players from feeling they have to participate in the black market to stay competitive, and keeps players from burning through all the content and trading in your game. It also prevents rampant second accounting, which devalues Trueskill matchmaking.

But there is no competitive advantage to anything you unlock (or it is a slight modification). I fail to see the correlation between second accounts and Trueskill. Granted at the very start of a new account (which, by the way, is a paid privilege unless using 48 hour codes = more money to Microsoft) you might burn some new kids, but their algorithm should quickly sort out a more balanced level for you to play.

I would also argue that the people who are going to trade your game in after a few weeks (or shorter) are going to to so regardless of whether or not they have unlocked every helmet in the game.

Having a daily XP cap (which I never hit personally in Reach) just seems counter productive and hollow. You dangle a carrot and then make it impossible (or a massive grind) to achieve. You could argue that this method keeps players coming back day after day, but the reality of many gamers lives is such that they can only play one or two days a week. They can't return to your game day in and day out to hit the max XP cap every day.

Falagard

So Team Slayer Pro will definitely be my goto playlist.

"Team Slayer Pro – 4 v. 4
This playlist features the following settings: No Radar, 3 Loadouts (DMR, AR or BR with 1 grenade and Resupply Tactical Package), Player Movement Speed, Reload Speed and Weapon Swap Speed set to 110%, Friendly Fire ON, Score to win Round 60 Kills, No Map Loadouts, and No Custom Loadouts."

Sexy.

In the bulletin there was a full stop that lead to this page:
http://download.halowaypoint.com/co...7d42b8-98d4-493f-baf9-10ebec934c09/alert.html

In the source of that page there is a base 64 encoded string:
Code:
TVRoZAAAAAYAAAABA8BNVHJrAAAAbQD/IAEAAP8DFS8vQ0xBU1NJRklFRC8vRT1tYzMvLwDAWwCQNECWQIA0AACQNkCHQIA2AACQN0CHQIA3AACQNkCHQIA2AACQOUCHQIA5AACQN0CHQIA3AACQNkCWQIA2AACQNECeAIA0AAD/LwA=

Decoded:

Code:
UTF-8
MThd������MTrk���m� ��//CLASSIFIED//E=mc3//�[�4@@4��6@@6��7@@7��6@@6��9@@9��7@@7��6@@6��4@�4��

ASCII
MThd������MTrk���m� ��//CLASSIFIED//E=mc3//�[�4@@4��6@@6��7@@7��6@@6��9@@9��7@@7��6@@6��4@�4��

Windows-1252
MThd������ÀMTrk���m�ÿ ��ÿ//CLASSIFIED//E=mc3//�À[�4@–@€4��6@‡@€6��7@‡@€7��6@‡@€6��9@‡@€9��7@‡@€7��6@–@€6��4@ž�€4��ËÀ

Just below the full stop link is the following image:

empty.png

which is:

Code:
..\images\mc?-???-???-???-???-???-???-???\classified.mp4

I'm assuming they're related, so I tried plugging in the decoded string in a few different ways. The URL of the page was at the directory:

Code:
http://download.halowaypoint.com/content/waypoint/assets/images/9c7d42b8-98d4-493f-baf9-10ebec934c09/

Closest I've got is something like:

http://download.halowaypoint.com/co...hd-MTr-km4-466-776-699-776-644/classified.mp4 [404]

I could write a perl script to iterate through pretty much every combination and wget the result, but I can't be bothered. It's got to be simpler than that...

I also tried a few hashing algorithms, but the results were too long.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Caps prevent out of control boosting.

That's the long and short of it. They don't want people hitting Mattrickeritor in the first week.

There are easier ways to do it

Taking what the maximum theoretical XP one would gain in a year if they were playing 365 days a year (for error correction)

And then divide it all down to an hour

Then have a counter-weight just so it trims the game slightly to completely depending on the amount

A full out XP cap per day is a band-aid solution, no consumer should see it.

FyreWulff

But there is no competitive advantage to anything you unlock (or it is a slight modification). I fail to see the correlation between second accounts and Trueskill. Granted at the very start of a new account (which, by the way, is a paid privilege unless using 48 hour codes = more money to Microsoft) you might burn some new kids, but their algorithm should quickly sort out a more balanced level for you to play.

I would also argue that the people who are going to trade your game in after a few weeks (or shorter) are going to to so regardless of whether or not they have unlocked every helmet in the game.

Having a daily XP cap (which I never hit personally in Reach) just seems counter productive and hollow. You dangle a carrot and then make it impossible (or a massive grind) to achieve. You could argue that this method keeps players coming back day after day, but the reality of many gamers lives is such that they can only play one or two days a week. They can't return to your game day in and day out to hit the max XP cap every day.

Rampant second accounting means established lower skill players constantly running into higher skilled players boosting another account to sell before the system figures out their real skill (takes around 30-40 games in team based playlists in unmodified trueskill). More pissed off players means more likely to be cancelled subscriptions. Microsoft doesn't get money off annoyed customers that desubscribe and stop buying content on Live.

It does need to be loosened more as time goes on though. Reach's current cap could stand another doubling, even though I've yet to ever hit the cap myself (and there were a few days in there where I played a crapton of games)

FyreWulff

Taking what the maximum theoretical XP one would gain in a year if they were playing 365 days a year (for error correction)

Then have a counter-weight just so it trims the game slightly to completely depending on the amount

I don't even have the numbers but I can tell you right now that the amount of people that actually see the cR cap message in Reach are a rounding error, so it's statistically possible to say nobody sees it anyway.

DesertFox

You unlock XP faster by staying in narrow corridors and only using the modern FPS elements.

See the post above yours.
Hopefully that's the case. I'll admit I never once hit the cap in Reach. Just concerned that while moving twice as fast with dewxp I will hit that cap.

Nirvana

In the bulletin there was a full stop that lead to this page:

Getting different results using different decoders, this one showed some special characters that don't seem to appear in any of yours:

Code:
MThd������ÀMTrk���m�ÿ ��ÿ//CLASSIFIED//E=mc3//�À[�4@–@€4��6@‡@€6��7@‡@€7��6@‡@€6��9@‡@€9��7@‡@€7��6@–@€6��4@ž�€4��ÿ/�

Possibly piece them all together?

How does one determine the maximum theoretic XP? There are too many variables. You could unlock all commendations, complete all challenges, get max slot machine, etc, etc.

A better solution would be to have dynamic daily credit cap. E.g. Each time you rank up the cap increases by 5%.

Getting different results using different decoders, this one showed some special characters that don't seem to appear in any of yours:

Code:
MThd������ÀMTrk���m�ÿ ��ÿ//CLASSIFIED//E=mc3//�À[�4@–@€4��6@‡@€6��7@‡@€7��6@‡@€6��9@‡@€9��7@‡@€7��6@–@€6��4@ž�€4��ÿ/�

Possibly piece them all together?

Nah it's probably just garbage. The important bit is //CLASSIFIED//E=mc3// which probably represents the start of the url:

Code:
http://download.halowaypoint.com/content/waypoint/assets/images/mc3-???-???-???-???-???-???-???/classified.mp4

Then there is just 7 groups of 3. That could be spread across Campaign, Spartan Ops, and maybe more bulletins.

Arnie

Frank, at Eurogamer you said you'd have more soon on the whole ranking issue. Do you have an advance on that, or is it strictly a post-launch discussion?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The TU talk has made me a very happy camper.. The possibility of getting theater, ranks and actual new gametypes post launch is awesome.

Oh, where did that pop up from? Samurai helmet once again, so I guess that will be this games Recon of sorts.

Yeah, that's my guess. Hopefully it's not a one time use code on Waypoint (if that's what the code is actually for).

FUD was ok, the ending of the last episode was the best. The slow down was WAY overdone in this series.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh man what a day... raining and too many people in the city center.
Anyway, while buying books, i noticed Halo Fall of Reach (and The Flood and First Strike) re-releases. Hmm, let's see about FoR... oh, it has a foreword by Frankie? Bought. The oddest things determine whether we buy things or don't.
Now to watch FUD ep 5 and start reading FoR again.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So I've been hearing more people are coming online, so that means its cool to play now with out the fear of a ban?

If you bought a game and you're not a pirate, you can play fearlessly, however it's currently a deprecated experience in terms of matchmaking and some day one title update fixes. So yes you can play, but the experience is not fully representative. Make sense?

Frank, at Eurogamer you said you'd have more soon on the whole ranking issue. Do you have an advance on that, or is it strictly a post-launch discussion?

Keep an eye on the webs.

FyreWulff

A better solution would be to have dynamic daily credit cap. E.g. Each time you rank up the cap increases by 5%.

Reach used to be like this at one point.. I think? Now it's universal. But I believe the lower ranks used to have a different cap than higher ones.

Speaking of global caps, I wonder why they didn't do a cap unlock multiple times (with different community events to unlock each time) instead of just unlocking everything one time. Would have been a bit of fun.

Omni

If you bought a game and you're not a pirate, you can play fearlessly, however it's currently a deprecated experience in terms of matchmaking and some day one title update fixes. So yes you can play, but the experience is not fully representative. Make sense?
Just curious more than anything, can we expect to see a list of day 1 fixes or not?

Falagard

Keep an eye on the webs.

Ooh a day one title update! Rock on!

Reviews look great 343. Can't wait to play the shit out of the multiplayer on this game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Keep an eye on the webs.

The question is... Will the "ranks" be on the individual or the playlist

willow ve

Just curious more than anything, can we expect to see a list of day 1 fixes or not?

He said earlier he was working on getting a plain English list of fixes for the Day 1 patch. Would be nice to see 343 start a developers blog (even if it's just for patches and Title Updates) similar to how Battlefield 3 has long detailed explanations about upcoming patches, etc.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
With progression having unlocks, it matters more than it did for Reach. Also, lol at my spelling mistake.

Yeah, but I doubt they make that big of a difference. Plus there's the premades.

I could be very mistaken and some loadouts will be found to be extremely broken though.

I've had the good fortune to play a bit of the Halo 4, and I can say without a doubt that the best armor ability is your microphone, and a good team shot defeats anything in the sandbox. The beauty of Halo 4 maps is that they actually have identifiable callouts.

Omni

He said earlier he was working on getting a plain English list of fixes for the Day 1 patch. Would be nice to see 343 start a developers blog (even if it's just for patches and Title Updates) similar to how Battlefield 3 has long detailed explanations about upcoming patches, etc.

Oooh okay, sounds good.

and I agree; that would be pretty cool.

Project

If your only inspiration to play better is a number for a video game--and this is ostensibly for a game you like anyway--I shudder to think of what your productivity is like in the real world.

FUD Ep 5 was pretty good, although the super slow mo was excessive and the visual details were still all over the map--
Kelly and Fred are wearing Reach era MkV? The Pelican like the Covenant is Halo 4 style, etc.
Nice end Lasky segment though.

If you can give me another good reason to be good at the game I'm all ears. Sure, the first 500 matches will be fun and exciting, but after that I want another reason to play. Rank gives me that, I like having something to work for and achieve. I like to show off to friends etc. I love the game yes, and would play casually from time to time if the number or rank wasn't there, but visible rank differentiated halo 2 and halo 3 from all other games and I believe I can say that it was a determining factor of keeping people coming back and playing.

I'm not sure what your logic is comparing my real world productivity to my incentive to play a video game... not too many correlation's if you ask me. But that could just be because you fail to see the point I was trying to make.

Omni

If you can give me another good reason to be good at the game I'm all ears. Sure, the first 500 matches will be fun and exciting, but after that I want another reason to play. Rank gives me that, I like having something to work for and achieve. I like to show off to friends etc. I love the game yes, and would play casually from time to time if the number or rank wasn't there, but visible rank differentiated halo 2 and halo 3 from all other games and I believe I can say that it was a determining factor of keeping people coming back and playing.

You like to show off your Halo rank to your friends? How old are you? haha

Reach used to be like this at one point.. I think? Now it's universal. But I believe the lower ranks used to have a different cap than higher ones.

Speaking of global caps, I wonder why they didn't do a cap unlock multiple times (with different community events to unlock each time) instead of just unlocking everything one time. Would have been a bit of fun.

Remember Lieutenant Colonel Grade 3?
That's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom