• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Since MP stuff was deemed ok to show, I uploaded a BTB match on Exile.

I die 3 times by the same guy with a SAW at the start but I do pretty good after that.
biffbam14dma.gif

Good shit, monkey.

Akai__

Finished SpartanOps on Legndary, too. Played with only 1 friend, over XBL and it was pretty easy. Died a few times, but it wasn't hard at all.

Also, he has a pretty bad connection normally, but there was no lag at all. Netcode is brilliant, I would say. Will test it with strangers and report back tommorow.

Oh and it would be pretty cool to have some ppl, which wants to play with us. Doesn't matter which playlist. :)

God I love this game, it's so awesome!!!

Also:
Today is my birthday but it means nothing without H4, just two more sleeps and a whole lota naps.

Happy B-day. Hope you have a good one, even without Halo 4. :)

IHaveIce

Banned
Finished SpartanOps on Legndary, too. Played with only 1 friend, over XBL and it was pretty easy. Died a few times, but it wasn't hard at all.

Also, he has a pretty bad connection normally, but there was no lag at all. Netcode is brilliant, I would say. Will test it with strangers and report back tommorow.

Oh and it would be pretty cool to have some ppl, which wants to play with us. Doesn't matter which playlist. :)

God I love this game, it's so awesome!!!

God I hate you so much lol, I was on earlier and saw you playing.

Was it your order or did you rent it? But good to hear this stuff about SpOps.

As soon as I have the game I'm down for playlists, no matter what playlist

Akai__

God I hate you so much lol, I was on earlier and saw you playing.

Was it your order or did you rent it? But good to hear this stuff about SpOps.

As soon as I have the game I'm down for playlists, no matter what playlist

You are the 3rd person which hates me, kinda.

First message was from Gazzawa. It was like this:
8===========D~~~~~~

Second from a zoojoo:
lol you suck, I'm jaelous

And many others which adked how I get it.

I actually rent it, because I didn't get my english version, yet. Don't like it, that multiplayer is automatically german, too, if you have a german version...

It doesn't scale difficulty to party size?

I think it is scaled for 4 players always, because we played a mission, which was shown at various events and it looked like it was the same amount of enemies.

S1kkZ

finished the campaign, played all spartan ops missions (alone) and some multiplayer.
pretty impressed with the game, but i have some problems with the campaign.

overall, a fantastic game. spartan ops has the potential to be something really awesome.

2 things: will the terminal videos be up on monday/tuesday? since the 2 mb patch, some cutscenes in campaign have slight stutter that was not there before (everything was super smooth).

IHaveIce

Banned
I actually rent it, because I didn't get my english version, yet. Don't like it, that multiplayer is automatically german, too, if you have a german version...

wait what? Even if the xbox is set on english? :/ oh god no, a friend of mine will be pissed.

Luckily I ordered the UK version, hope it arrives monday, I also thought about renting it, but my video rental stores that are in my area are well vistied, so the game would be taken anyway :(

edit: Coming up Ambush vs Dark Gangster Rappers

wat

where did you order the uk version? i need it fast.

Check your pm's

S1kkZ

wait what? Even if the xbox is set on english? :/ oh god no, a friend of mine will be pissed.

Luckily I ordered the UK version, hope it arrives monday, I also thought about renting it, but my video rental stores that are in my area are well vistied, so the game would be taken anyway :(

where did you order the uk version? i need it fast.

finished the campaign, played all spartan ops missions (alone) and some multiplayer.
pretty impressed with the game, but i have some problems with the campaign.

overall, a fantastic game. spartan ops has the potential to be something really awesome.

2 things: will the terminal videos be up on monday/tuesday? since the 2 mb patch, some cutscenes in campaign have slight stutter that was not there before (everything was super smooth).
What do you not like about the campaign? Is it a gameplay issue or something with the story?

S1kkZ

What do you not like about the campaign? Is it a gameplay issue or something with the story?

a bit about the story, level design (some levels make the typical halo mistake: identical looking indoor areas repeat each other over and over again.) and enemy variety (crawlers are really overused).

zap

I think there are spoilers on that Exile video comments :|

I accidentally say a bit of them. DAMN IT. Two days to go :(

a bit about the story, level design (some levels make the typical halo mistake: identical looking indoor areas repeat each other over and over again.) and enemy variety (crawlers are really overused).

Yeah, this has been my worry about the Prometheans from the moment I first heard about them. Only 3 enemy types, no vehicles, there's simply no way you can get an entire campaign's worth of interesting encounters out of that.

S1kkZ

Yeah, this has been my worry about the Prometheans from the moment I first heard about them. Only 3 enemy types, no vehicles, there's simply no way you can get an entire campaign's worth of interesting encounters out of that.

halo 5 really needs 2-3 more enemy types. the problem with the crawlers is: they run at you, sometimes they shoot while doing it, you shoot them in the mouth(?) and thats it. they should have done a lot more with them, they really have potential (wall crawling).

(some levels make the typical halo mistake: identical looking indoor areas repeat each other over and over again.)

ugh

How the fuck have bungie/343 never learned that Halo is at its best in big, open environments with small stretches of CQC?

The Covenant (Halo 3) is a textbook example of how a halo level should play (outdoors on-foot battle - vehicle sequence - corridor fight - aerial battle - corridor fight - big vehicle sequence with friendlies and bossfight), The Ark and Tsavo Highway aren't quite as perfect but still very good.

Goddamn The Covenant was good. Possibly the best mission in an FPS, ever.

Great post Karl! I agree with your points on the previous progression and ranking systems in Halo and the problems the Halo 4 ranking probably will encounter. In my opinion, another problem with the Halo 4 ranking is that there are no separate ranked playlists. Some people may see this as a positive but for me, it would be a big problem. Probably so big that I won't even bother to play the game to rank up my CSR.

Your proficiency ranking system sounds interesting. Simply said, you're proposing an individual ranking system (like Arena used to be) combined with the ranking system from Halo 3, right?

halo 5 really needs 2-3 more enemy types. the problem with the crawlers is: they run at you, sometimes they shoot while doing it, you shoot them in the mouth(?) and thats it. they should have done a lot more with them, they really have potential (wall crawling).

Do they melee attack? How many of them usually rush you at once?
Sweet!

Did that shield stop Monkey from dying along? Lmao
Yes, but not in the way people seem to be thinking, he was already outside the blast radius of the grenade. When the other guy used the shield, he put up his rifle, causing him to miss out on oneshotting Monkey.

So the jist of this post:

-Systems in the past are steps away from being both properly implemented and structurally sound.
-Future systems need to divide skill into proficiency and quality of match.
-Progression systems need to continually award player after SR-130.​
Good post, Karly Rae Jepson.

yes, they can leap at you. sometimes you have to deal with a pack of them (2-3 attack you at once). maybe they get better on legendary/heroic (or more annoying).
Any levels you feel that rank with the best of the series? What are your favorite levels of past Halo games?

Woorloog

Banned
ugh

How the fuck have bungie/343 never learned that Halo is at its best in big, open environments with small stretches of CQC?

Outdoors with vehicles is fine. But outdoors infantry combat is stupid in campaign, with any mid-long range weapon there is no challenge whatsoever... That is, if the enemies are pre-placed. But if they're dropped close to you OR the area has a ridiculous amount of cover, then outdoors infantry combat works fine.

Beginning of Halo from Halo CE comes to mind... Also Sierra 117 in Halo 3, the area after first two Phantoms, and the level's end, if you have a sniper, you can kill pretty much every Covie before getting to Johnson.

Akai__

But then you did it easily with 2.

Someone from 343i should clarify, because I felt in campaign the same way.

People said, that Heroic is the new Legendary, but it doesn't seem like that in campaign and/or in SpOps.

Either it is not scaled yet, because technically Halo hasn't released yet or it is really not difficult.

S1kkZ

Any levels you feel that rank with the best of the series? What are your favorite levels of past Halo games?

my favorite levels: covenant, the ark, assault on the control room, silent cartographer.

h4 has some great levels. but do they rank with the best of the series? dont know, probably not. i need another playthrough on heroic to be sure. when i finished reach the first time, i thought it was the best campaign, now...i dont think that way anymore.
h4 has some amazing moments that will make your jaw drop, but thats mostly because of the (amazing!) visuals/art design.

my favorite levels: covenant, the ark, assault on the control room, silent cartographer.

h4 has some great levels. but do they rank with the best of the series? dont know, probably not. i need another playthrough on heroic to be sure. when i finished reach the first time, i thought it was the best campaign, now...i dont think that way anymore.
h4 has some amazing moments that will make your jaw drop, but thats mostly because of the (amazing!) visuals/art design.

So nothing gameplay wise that makes your jaw drop? Like Halo 3's Scarab encounters and massive battles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom