• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outdoors with vehicles is fine. But outdoors infantry combat is stupid in campaign, with any mid-long range weapon there is no challenge whatsoever... That is, if the enemies are pre-placed. But if they're dropped close to you OR the area has a ridiculous amount of cover, then outdoors infantry combat works fine.

Beginning of Halo from Halo CE comes to mind... Also Sierra 117 in Halo 3, the area after first two Phantoms, and the level's end, if you have a sniper, you can kill pretty much every Covie before getting to Johnson.

I think there's plenty of situations where outdoor infantry works perfectly, although it often involves dropships and "hold-your-position" style combat.

Ken

is this a real question?

Yeah. There was a Field Marshal, a Legend, and a Mythic on my team and a Legend on their team. The rest of us were Corporals (me) and Warrant Officers.

the real question is, why are you playing reach?

Because I didn't buy ZOE HD Collection and I don't want to dip into my single player backlog. Also everyone in LoLGAF is too busy watching MLG LoL to play with me. :(

S1kkZ

So nothing gameplay wise that makes your jaw drop?

do gameplay is on a constant high-level but jaw drop? no, that was mostly because of the visuals/design/cutscenes. but i have to admit, my jaw really dropped in one of the early levels because of that.

edit: nothing like the scarab battles. i remember the moment when the 2 scarabs dropped from the sky, i almost dropped the controller.

Woorloog

Banned
I think there's plenty of situations where outdoor infantry works perfectly, although it often involves dropships and "hold-your-position" style combat.

Sure, in those it works fine. But if either is not in use, then it is silly if you have a mid-long range weapon. And there are plenty of these in Halos as well.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I just want to say this

Campaign spoilers

the end of level 3 is really fucking stupid... The ghost sequence... no tension... Just chaotic and confusing nonsense... And I absolutely LOVED both warthog runs to death

Akai__

So nothing gameplay wise that makes your jaw drop? Like Halo 3's Scarab encounters and massive battles?

There are some levels which where incredible and there are actually some quite big battles. If you enjoyed Assault on the Controllroom, The Ark, The Covenant and Silent Cartographer you will enjoy it, I think.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I just want to say this

Campaign spoilers

the end of level 3 is really fucking stupid... The ghost sequence... no tension... Just chaotic and confusing nonsense... And I absolutely LOVED both warthog runs to death

I disagree! Shit was epic and the grunts bracing for impact is glorious! lol. Doesn't compare to the Warthog runs because those took place at the end of the game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I disagree! Shit was epic and the grunts bracing for impact is glorious! lol. Doesn't compare to the Warthog runs because those took place at the end of the game.

It felt so out of place. I had no idea what was going on. The music through that section was downright awful. Absolutely terrible pacing to lead up to that moment.

It's basically the most negative part of the game so far and everything up to that moment was awesome.

But won't deny everything looked really cool, though!

wwm0nkey

I just want to say this

Campaign spoilers

Hey
The other runs in the game are great

I should add, that there are not those incredible Scarab alike fights, but the fights in Halo 4 are really good, too.

Fuck. Why the fuck not. Sounds like Halo 3 will continue to be my fav campaign. The gigantic vehicle combat levels were my favorite. Oh well everything else in 4 looks amazing.

CyReN

oiSP6.png

whoever made this i love you.

He's fired a gun in real life. He's an expert.

lol yeah, like no one else on here has ever fired a weapon. On my fall break a couple weeks ago I went with my dad to his gun club and fired about 100 rounds through our brand new AK47, yet I don't think that qualifies me to talk about game mechanics.

JackHerer

Kinda scary to see how overused the jetpack is in these MLG games. I avoided using it in Reach but it really has no disadvantages to it now that everyone has sprint by default.

lol yeah, like no one else on here has ever fired a weapon. On my fall break a couple weeks ago I went with my dad to his gun club and fired about 100 rounds through our brand new AK47, yet I don't think that qualifies me to talk about game mechanics.

Plus, Halo is a futuristic shooter. The argument that it feels more realistic or "right" to go ADS mode is just plain stupid.
If you want to go down the "realism" route: lore-wise, it is absolutely justified that none of the guns even have sights because they sync up with the HUD of spartans/odsts/marines anyway. ADS would be redundant.
The pistol does have iron sights IIRC, possibly for civilian use?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If this rumor of the carbine being the fastest kill time is true. That's going to be an issue once modded controllers hit. No recoil or bloom and shoot as fast as you pull the trigger = bad.

Ryaaan14

Banned
If this rumor of the carbine being the fastest kill time is true. That's going to be an issue once modded controllers hit. No recoil or bloom and shoot as fast as you pull the trigger = bad.

Wasn't this the case in Halo 3? I don't recall seeing people abuse the Carbine then.

so are you locked in the pacific armor with what ever specialization your using...

That would piss me off so much, it better not be true. What is the point of customizing your character if the game locks you into a specific set?

What I'm thinking is that entering the specialization just unlocks the armor set as an option.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wasn't this the case in Halo 3? I don't recall seeing people abuse the Carbine then.

Carbine wasn't a starting weapon in 3, was it? It also functioned different too, didn't it?

I didn't play much Halo 3 or Halo 2 with the Army and all.

Also, I think modded controllers in MP is more of a "thing" now than it was then.

I appreciate your GoW3 service.

It's a shame what they did to that game. So much potential.

so are you locked in the pacific armor with what ever specialization your using...

No, they just unlock.

The only thing you're locked into is that level set.

I don't think it fires as fast as you can pull the trigger, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

Anyone with the game care to clarify?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't think it fires as fast as you can pull the trigger, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

Anyone with the game care to clarify?

You're missing the point. If it has the highest kill time, it's reliant on how fast you can pull the trigger. Inherently this isn't a problem since hammering the trigger that much on your controller might throw your aim off and is NOT consistent. With a modded controller it's consistent and all you have to do is hold the trigger down (your aim won't be swayed and you will get the highest ROF).

With a modded controller there's literally NO reason not to use the carbine, since there's no downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom