• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Is the Suppressor that really rapidfire gun? If so, I'm gonna use that just for the fun of it, I'm fucked if I have to use an automatic anyway, might as well be a cool one.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can there really be a ''best'' automatic rifle? :p

AR looks deadly as hell at close range. Not so bad at medium range either. I'll have the BR before my first match because of the Gamestop skin code, but I'm definitely going to give the AR a try, especially in smaller maps.
Is the Suppressor that really rapidfire gun? If so, I'm gonna use that just for the fun of it, I'm fucked if I have to use an automatic anyway, might as well be a cool one.

Yup. I really like the sound it makes when firing as well.

Bolded is a very good point. Less segmentation of playlist, still get matched up eventually against good opponents providing you play well, don't have to worry about when you start playing having hard time finding games. Wins all the way around.
Yeah the more I think about it, the more I think it's a very good decision.
Storm rifle played meh in my opinion :(
Your opinion sucks. :p
So is the Suppressor as useless as some people have said? The AR looks to be the best automatic, but that's just me.
Didn't use it too much, but it felt like the weakest automatic primary by a significant margin in my limited experience. Had a massive clip, but the AR and Storm Rifle killed much faster.

Spawnling

I saw that on XBL this morning and just wanted a youtube version to pop up sooner or later. Narration is hilarious.

SO, YOU THINK YOU'RE SPECIAL DO YA????

IHaveIce

Banned
DMR goes BOOM. BOOM. BOOM.

BR goes PLTHPLTHPLTH. PLTHPLTHPLTH. PLTHPLTHPLTH.

Best description of the weapons, Ryan you should also tell us something about the carbine and the light rifle

edit: Wow Puckett and Shibby do everything but commenting the game

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah, it's.. something alright. So nice to see can't cap without flag at home gameplay though.
True CTF.

Commentary wasn't the greatest on that match. :-/

Yeah, fuck the MLG stream. I'm gonna go watch other authorized streams that aren't complete shit.

This is gonna hurt the viewership today.

Karl2177

So I spent about 20-30 minutes in between football games on this so whatevs. I'd like to know if you see any mistakes or clarifications.

Skill ranks have always had a role in online Halo multiplayer. It could be because of the competitive nature of people or because it gives a good value of what a player can do. In any case, it belongs in the multiplayer suite in some form.

To quickly cover previous iterations, Halo 2 used an Elo based skill system. The benefits of this was that it could be tied directly into the player progression system, without major repercussions on how good the actual skill was or halting progression. The major downside to the system was the rampant cheating. It did bring out the worst in people to the point that if you were good and didn't cheat, you could never get to the top of the system.

Halo 3 brought in a new progression system, one tied on both experience and rank. The ranking system used TrueSkill which was actually tested in the Halo 2 beta. This EXP/skill system was good because it allowed players to move up in military rank just by winning games. TrueSkill was also good, because it allowed the developer to set how tight the matches would be. Ironically, the downside of Halo 3's system was tying TrueSkill into the progression system. This caused many de-rankers and second accounters, which ruined the experience for lesser skilled players.

Enter Halo: Reach, where it disregarded skill in the progression system. Progression in Reach devolved into how much time was spent in game. If a player spent a lot of time in matchmaking, they were rewarded for it. If a player went for the quick decisive win, they were essentially punished by skimping on the credits. The skill system, Arena, was actually improved, but it was secluded away and tied to only one or two playlists at a given time. The reason Arena was improved over Halo 3 was because it forced you to continue playing to keep your rank. It was no longer the Halo 3 system of earn the 50 once, and never look back. It also discouraged a second account, by resetting the stats. It was systematically improved, but in its implementation, it was a failure. As mentioned before, it was tied to a playlist that was hidden away. It was also never clear when the seasons would be reset. The biggest blunder is that the initial settings were not designed to be competitive.

During Reach's life cycle, Waypoint released the Battle Proficency Rating(BPR). In simple terms, it is a modified Kill/Death ratio with a added assist and Win/Loss metrics. How it performs is unknown to the player, and it is also hidden by the barrier of Halo: Waypoint.

Skill can be represented visibly or it can remain invisible. The main argument from competitive communities such as the Halo Council and MLG are that skill rankings should be visible. There are major benefits to this, and there are a couple of downfall to it. By having skill visible, a player can analyze the opponents and oneself to verify that the match is fair. Depending on how skill is used, it can act as a secondary or tertiary measure to keep matches close. The pitfalls of visible ranks is that to some players, it becomes a gamble if they want to play another game for fear that it will go down. This in turn can detract players, which gives less of an opportunity for a skillful match.

Up until November 2nd, there was no skill system announced for Halo 4, and its progression system was a step up from Reach; Get points for beneficial actions. There are already issues with the announced Competitive Skill Rank(CSR). The biggest issue is that it is hidden behind Halo: Waypoint yet again. The other issue is that it will not be immediately available at launch. It will be on a per-playlist level, which shows that a player may be really good at Slayer, but poor at CTF. Otherwise, nothing is really known about how it will fully function.

Is CSR going to be enough? No. Is the progression system in Halo 4 going to be rewarding for players who pick up the game late in the life cycle? No. The only reason these questions can be answered before the game even releases is based on other games and how people play competitively.

Modern Warfare 2 was a sweep in how it got people playing and progressing. I set that game down a month after release, not because of the progression, but because of the gameplay. But I lasted a month of awful gameplay, because I was always being rewarded for positive actions. And when I got to the top of progression, the game asked me if I wanted to do it again. I said yes. Because the progression kept me going. Halo 4's progression downfall will most likely be the Specialization trees and lack of "prestiging". If there is one thing to take away from the way Call of Duty games progress the player, it's not about the same weapons that are given to a player, it's about how the player can do it all over again.

If Halo wants to include unlockable weapons, do not do it like Reach did. Reach locked out certain armors until a certain rank was achieved. Another system to be taken from Call of Duty would benefit the unlocking system. After a rank is achieved, unlock an "armor unlock". It can be any armor in the armory. After a different clear set of ranks is reached, unlock a "weapon unlock". This can be any spawning weapon. Honestly, it's not my favorite route for Halo to have customizable loadouts default in Matchmaking, but I don't have control over that.

For skill, the Halo needs to have 3 different skill systems. One on proficency. One on TrueSkill. One as a combination of both. The combination would be what is displayed in a pregame lobby. The other two would be located on the player card. Proficency refers to how many points the player earns compared to how many points the player gives the other team. One can tell someone who boosted their K/D spread with the Banshee, simply based on the number. But the question is if the opponents were skilled. This is where TrueSkill comes in and says that the opponents only had a few matches under their belt. By combining the two, the system says, "This player can beat weak opponents with ease." If they were good opponents the system could say, "This player can beat good opponents with ease." Another great point that will arise out of this system is that it can flag something to the developer that is overpowered.

So the jist of this post:

-Systems in the past are steps away from being both properly implemented and structurally sound.
-Future systems need to divide skill into proficiency and quality of match.
-Progression systems need to continually award player after SR-130.​

CyReN

n87vB.jpg

no fucken way.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
WTF. This is a really random response, but i guess it's a polite way to say "go fuck yourself."

I tweet to Sundance

@MLGSundance @MLG You're going to kill the viewers today with this bullshit split screen and shit quality. Other streams to watch.

and he responds.

@AlienShogun I thank you for your military service.

n87vB.jpg

no fucken way.

Should we know who that is?

CyReN

WTF. This is a really random response, but i guess it's a polite way to say "go fuck yourself."

I tweet to Sundance

@MLGSundance @MLG You're going to kill the viewers today with this bullshit split screen and shit quality. Other streams to watch.

and he responds.

I found that coming to people in a civil manner gets a great response.

Zyos, a very highly known early Halo pro.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I tweet to Sundance

and he responds.

:lol wow. You got shit on so bad.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I found that coming to people in a civil manner gets a great response.

Zyos, a very highly known early Halo pro.

:lol wow. You got shit on so bad.

That's :-/, you could have said that a lot better.

I didn't care to get a response. The point is the way they are doing this MLG event today is terrible.

Never heard of Zyos, but I've never paid that close attention to pro game players.

I didn't care to get a response. The point is the way they are doing this MLG event today is terrible.

Never heard of Zyos, but I've never paid that close attention to pro game players.

Zyos is around? Where? Next I'll hear about Darkman coming around..

Side Thought: Flag runner should get 110% speed since they can't sprint.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Another response from Giovanni.

@AlienShogun I mean it. Also - next time out Halo will get proper love. Thanks again.

Holy shit, there's going to be a next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom