• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://i.minus.com/ibuRoUvJ3Zf8eZ.jpg

My new twitch.tv banner. Courtesy of letters <3

I totally fixed it, Toshi

idgoWG5rqh2Ez.jpg

Blissful

Neo Member
Has there been any explanation as to why Team Doubles is not included in the launch playlists? I know they can add it in the future, but why exclude a popular playlist at launch?

Pop

Has there been any explanation as to why Team Doubles is not included in the launch playlists? I know they can add it in the future, but why exclude a popular playlist at launch?

Probably want to let the forgers make the smaller maps.

monday
- wake up 2 hours early and finish my Halo 3 play through
- 6 hour work day, off 2 hours early (10PM) so I could get Halo 4 at midnight
- come home play for an hour or two

tuesday
- wake up early again, this time Halo 4 campaign for 4 hours or so
- go vote and take the wife to dinner
- come home and put in another 2-4 hours into campaign

monday
- wake up 2 hours early and finish my Halo 3 play through
- 6 hour work day, off 2 hours early (10PM) so I could get Halo 4 at midnight
- come home play for an hour or two

tuesday
- wake up early again, this time Halo 4 campaign for 4 hours or so
- go vote and take the wife to dinner
- come home and put in another 2-4 hours into campaign

Sounds perfect.

Monday: Receive Halo

2014: Go back to work.

Monday: work.
Tuesday: work, pick up Halo 4 somewhere at lunch, work, go home, play for a few hours or until I fall asleep.
Wednesday: work, go home, play for a few hours or until I fall asleep.
...repeat.

Highlaw

Banned
Tuesday
-uni starts 9am
-pick up LE at 1pm during lunch time
-Lick it until 16pm when sound lab ends
-go home
-Play 'til internal organs implode and eyes bleed
-no classes on wednesday, free day!
-go to hospital

El_Chino

Found this while blogging around, thought it was pretty good haha (I tried to quote it but didn't work):

T’was the night before Halo when all through the house Not a creature was stirring - not even a mouse.

The headsets were hung by the remotes with care In hopes that Masterchief soon would be there.

The players were nestled all snug in their beds While visions of melee-ing danced in their heads.

And Cortana in her circuits and I in my gear, Had just rested our hands for a long Infinity year.

When out on the map there arose such a clatter, I sprang from my spawnpoint to see what was the matter.

Away to my base I flew in a Ghost, tore away the Carbine And cursed at the host.

The moon on the breast of the new forming ennies, Gave a luster of midday to the Flood down below.

When what to my bloodshot eyes should appear But a brand new Warthog and new Forrunners to fear.

With Cortana going rampant and going insane I knew in a moment - get ammo and quick!

More rapid than needles his coursers they came And he whistled and shouted and called them by name.

Now Hunters! Now Jackals! Now Grunts and Elites! On Brutes! On Forrunners! On Floods little treats! To the top of crane! To the top of the wall! Now crash away, crash away, dash away all!

As dry shrapnel that after explosions fly When they meet with an obstacle mount to the sky So, up to the Sniper Roost, the coursers they flew With a Scorpion full of ammo knowing full what to do.

And then, in Solace I heard on the platform, The cursing and shrieking of each red/blue mourn. As I drew my light rifle and was turning around, Down the Masterchief came with a bound.

He was dressed all in armor from his head to his toe And it was tarnished and damaged from battles we know. A bundle of weapons he had flung on his back And I wanted to kiss him in spite of his sack.

His face, it was hidden, his mask was of gold He truly was a sight to behold. He had broad shoulders and confident stance. I thought to myself - gotta get some of those pants!

With a flick of his wrist and a swipe of his hand, 4 Plasma Grenades at my feet did land. And a Shotgun, a Rocket Launcher with ammo he laid down And I knew that a Mantis soon would be found!

Then tapping his mask with the tip of his gun I knew it was time to start having some fun He sprang to his Warthog - to his captors gave a whistle And away they all flew as if they were hit with a pistol.

But I heard him exclaim as they drove out of sight, Happy Halo to all - now finish the fight!!

pakkit

Banned
You sure about that?

I knew nothing about their stories going into FUD but I rather enjoyed it. You sound full of it.

The Covenant's appearance is random and unexplained. Master Chief's significance is random and unexplained.

The amount of "cinematic slow down" in order to highlight drama within the series was comically overused, especially after the attack when the amount of dead was insurmountable.

At the end of the day, it was about what I expected: a relatively low budget series meant to hype those familiar with the series before the release of Halo 4. Compared to television miniseries, such as The Walking Dead, where they have plenty of time to explain all of the setting and its "rules," FUD had a very limited scope.

It's an opinion, feel free to dismiss it, but when your final point is "you're full of it," you're not exactly strengthening your argument.

The Covenant's appearance is random and unexplained. Master Chief's significance is random and unexplained.
You're under attack, why is an explanation necessary?
What do you mean by the Chief's significance? He's a secret super solider that was able to save these kids, that's pretty significant.

The amount of "cinematic slow down" in order to highlight drama within the series was comically overused, especially after the attack when the amount of dead was insurmountable.

At the end of the day, it was about what I expected: a relatively low budget series meant to hype those familiar with the series before the release of Halo 4. Compared to television miniseries, such as The Walking Dead, where they have plenty of time to explain all of the setting and its "rules," FUD had a very limited scope.

It's an opinion, feel free to dismiss it, but when your final point is "you're full of it," you're not exactly strengthening your argument.
Agreed mostly otherwise, but I had lower expectations. I highly enjoyed it for what it was.

aj1467

The Covenant's appearance is random and unexplained.

The Covenant never broadcast when they're coming to wipe out a human colony. They just manage to find a colony world, see there are humans there and proceed to destroy it.

A Covenant presence either in orbit or already on the planet was hinted at from the very first episode. You see General Black stare at the sky after ordering some Marines around.

In the second episode when he drives past Lasky in his Warthog, if you listen very carefully, you can hear someone say over the radio "code red". That and select communication systems suddenly being down for "system maintenance" and a sudden curfew being in effect hint that something else is going down.

pakkit

Banned
You're under attack, why is an explanation necessary?
I agree with you in theory, but not in execution. You have on Covenant who is invisible...you have one Hunter whose power is unexplained...you have various projectiles being shot at the protagonists without their significance being known...Essentially all of the things Halo players know from intimacy with the source material could easily confuse someone new to the series. If FUD was meant to be an access point, I'd say it failed. Compared to Alan Wake's miniseries, which left the viewer with questions that would be addressed in the game, the potential questions brought up by FUD are simply due to not informing the viewer.

EDIT: Sorry, I seemed to have been misinterpreted. The foreshadowing was well done, aj1467, that's not a problem I found.

What do you mean by the Chief's significance? He's a secret super solider that was able to save these kids, that's pretty significant.

I do understand this interpretation, and honestly, it would have been hard to bring him in otherwise. I just personally didn't like the change in tempo from episode 4 onward, where personal drama was exchanged for shoot-bang drama.

Regardless, I watched all 5 episodes, so it certainly could have been worse. I'm plenty excited for the plotline in Halo 4, and the intros in FUD involving Cortana were the highlights for me.

I agree with you in theory, but not in execution. You have on Covenant who is invisible...you have one Hunter whose power is unexplained...you have various projectiles being shot at the protagonists without their significance being known...Essentially all of the things Halo players know from intimacy with the source material could easily confuse someone new to the series. If FUD was meant to be an access point, I'd say it failed. Compared to Alan Wake's miniseries, which left the viewer with questions that would be addressed in the game, the potential questions brought up by FUD are simply due to not informing the viewer.

I do understand this interpretation, and honestly, it would have been hard to bring him in otherwise. I just personally didn't like the change in tempo from episode 4 onward, where personal drama was exchanged for shoot-bang drama.

I apologise, I'm not fully understanding what you mean.
You're being attacked by an alien race for the first time you know of them. It should be confusing and full of unknowns (like when the kids notice the Elite going invisible and go WTF).

As an example, but in no way solid proof, my dad, who has never touched a video game controller and the only thing he knows about Halo is that I like it, he enjoyed what he saw of it.

As for the change in tempo, heh. A lot of people didn't like the personal drama either. Personally I was happy enough with both, glad they even had the stones to have 2.5 episodes of personal Lasky stuff. I expected a lot less than what we got.

I'm curious what the budget differences were for both FUD and The Walking Dead. I would guess that FUD was lower budget, and Walking Dead had a whole season of 1 hour episodes to establish characters and plot. FUD was five short 20-minute episodes. Not sure if it's really fair to compare FUD to Walking Dead. I too agree with some of your points on the overly dramatic parts of the series, but overall it was enjoyable and I don't think a deep background in Halo lore was necessary to enjoy the short series. You didn't appreciate the "you're full of it" response, but dismissing FUD as absolutely horrible really wasn't much better imo.

Blueblur1

So I got an order confirmation e-mail from Newegg a couple hours ago so Halo 4 360 console. But I had canceled that order when I made it over a month ago. And when I search for the order on their site using the order number in the e-mail, the site tells me it doesn't exist.

Weird.

EvB

So I got an order confirmation e-mail from Newegg a couple hours ago so Halo 4 360 console. But I had canceled that order when I made it over a month ago. And when I search for the order on their site using the order number in the e-mail, the site tells me it doesn't exist.

Weird.

Free Maybe?

Omni

Game is out in 1 hour 10 minutes here... Was going to go to the midnight launch, but decided against it. Have to wait until 9am in the morning.

When is Waypoint being updated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom