• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveIce

Banned
We're talking about players spawning, right?

I think I talked about this with you last night. One team spawns at the bigger, wider ramps that looks out over an edge while the other team spawns at the smaller ramp with a wall at the bag. It also seems to be slightly more elevated.

Maybe it isn't that big of a deal but it's pretty damn weird when you consider there are perfectly fine symmetrical spawns on the map.

I think the symmetrical spawns are too close, but I don't know.
I was also pretty surprised when I learned about the actual spawns.

I lurk quite often and I've posted a few times in this thread, but since I'm planning to pick up Halo 4,I think it's time to get more involved with the community :)

So hi! I'm me, I'm from the EU, and I'm more of a campaign guy :)

aj1467

Managed to snag Halo 3, ODST, and CEA for a combined total of $24.

Recently unemployed. I'm like Batman with prep-time when it comes to deals and coupons.

Still looking for someone to possibly go through CEA on Legendary.

I'll play CEA with you at somepoint. Need to do it on Legendary.

FyreWulff

Does it show what playlist someone is in? It annoyed me in Reach that it just said "Matchmaking in Multiplayer" or "Matchmaking in Firefight" whereas Halo 3 said which playlist the peson was in.

That's called the Rich Presence, and more games are starting to ignore it :( Rock Band 3 will say exactly what song someone is playing, Rock Band Blitz just says "Playing a song". I wonder if modders ruined that for everyone.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
So what about the depictions of the Jackals in every other game, comic and book thus far? Will they be retconned? Is a sneaky Datadrop going to hit Waypoint in two years explaining why these Jackals look different?

Omni

The trees on Longbow look terrible. They're flat.

I'll add it to my list of things in the game that look stupid from a visual standpoint.

• Terrain textures
  • Elites
  • Grunts
  • Jackals
  • Human weapons
  • Chief's ass
  • Forge pieces
  • Forge maps
  • Human NPCs (Marines/ODST... etcetera)
  • Spartan helmets
  • Spartan armour in general
  • The lack of grass
  • 2D sky box (as opposed to Bungie's amazing creations in Reach)
  • Mantis
  • Trees

EvB

storm-jackal-halo-4-series-2-action-figure-217-p.jpg

I know what you're saying, but still, WTF Covenant redesigns

You have to see the bigger picture, would the old grunt designs of looked right had they of made a movie? The new Jackals certainly are more menacing looking than the weird Dr Seuss flamingo lizards of days gone by.

Holiday

Banned
My biggest complaints have to do with the base gameplay; slow strafe, slow movement, slow kill speed, easy to use weapons, randomized gameplay features.

For me, it's really sprint that is the knife to the heart, because it allows for slow base speed but covers it up with the appearance of faster gameplay. Give me no sprint (and no random weapon mechanics (lol dream on, right?)) and I'll let Steitzer grumble in my ear all day. Hell, I might even tolerate notifications.

They're also pretty close on Zealot. Doesn't really matter there. It just means the fighting will start faster when a game starts. Isn't that what 343 wants: People jumping into the action immediately?

Overdoziz

Banned
^^^^ that thing still looks ridiculous. Like a piranha and Godzilla had a child.

We're talking about players spawning, right?

I think I talked about this with you last night. One team spawns at the bigger, wider ramps that looks out over an edge while the other team spawns at the smaller ramp with a wall at the bag. It also seems to be slightly more elevated.

Maybe it isn't that big of a deal but it's pretty damn weird when you consider there are perfectly fine symmetrical spawns on the map.
We're talking about initial player spawns, yes. It'd be like like having one team spawn at top gold on while the other team spawns at holograms on Zealot. I guess if it's balanced (For lack of better term) on Haven it doesn't matter that much but if you have a symmetrical map why not just put the initial spawn on each symmetrical side.
I think the width of the map is about as long and the length. Maybe a bit shorter.

EvB

So what about the depictions of the Jackals in every other game, comic and book thus far? Will they be retconned? Is a sneaky Datadrop going to hit Waypoint in two years explaining why these Jackals look different?

Why do they need to? Nobody blinks an eye that 007 has looked quite significantly different over the last 50 times.

I don't hear people complaining that the Pelicans have a higher Polygon count in the 360 versions of Halo, this we need an explanation in the fiction as to why they look different.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i dont mind the armor

because i just think of reach and how everyone blended in with the environment way too much

Woorloog

Banned
I lurk quite often and I've posted a few times in this thread, but since I'm planning to pick up Halo 4,I think it's time to get more involved with the community :)

So hi! I'm me, and I'm more of a campaign guy :)
Welcome!
And...
Europe or US or what?
Mostly impractical to play co-op with non-europeans, from an european's viewpoint. Timezones and latency issues you know.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Wow, there's been a lot of complaining in the last few pages.
Thread needs to chillout and if you agree with my sentiment, don't quote me. Just. don't. post.

I'd like to imagine that when the H4 OT goes up it won't be filled up before the lot of you even get a copy of the game in your hands.

Why do they need to? Nobody blinks an eye that 007 has looked quite significantly different over the last 50 times.

I don't hear people complaining that the Pelicans have a higher Polygon count in the 360 versions of Halo, this we need an explanation in the fiction as to why they look different.

Come on, those aren't fair comparisons at all. Of course they can't keep using the same actor for a movie that has had so many iterations. And the pelican stayed mostly the same, design wise from CE to Reach.

The Halo 4 Jackal however, and his head in particular, looks very different from the previous Jackals. The older Jackals looked bird like, while the ones in 4 have lost that look.

Welcome!
And...
Europe or US or what?
Mostly impractical to play co-op with non-europeans, from an european's viewpoint. Timezones and latency issues you know.

Woops, I'm from the EU, Holland to be precise.
By the way, when I say that I'm more of campaign guy I mean that I'm mostly looking forward to playing Halo 4 campaign rather than the MP. I've still played a lot of Halo 3 and Reach MP :)

We're talking about initial player spawns, yes. It'd be like like having one team spawn at top gold on while the other team spawns at holograms on Zealot. I guess if it's balanced on Haven it doesn't matter that much but if you have a symmetrical map why not just put the initial spawn on each symmetrical side.

I think the width of the map is about as long and the length. Maybe a bit shorter.

Yeah, I agree. Also, with Haven's spawns as it is now, players have 6 directions to go; Forward, left or right and then the same for the level below. Looking at it from a purely mirrored spawn you'd only have 4 because that middle strut exists in an equal distance from both spawns.

EvB

Looks like a just got memberised. Time to start acting like a giant member , bring me some juniors to patronise!

I'm going to step off my sarcasm pulpit for a moment to clarify. Most of the stuff I post is hyperbole, making a big fuss about things mostly because I think it's hilarious and not really because I think its a huge deal. While I hate change for the sake of chage, some of the changes 3434 has made could turn out alright.

My biggest complaints have to do with the base gameplay; slow strafe, slow movement, slow kill speed, easy to use weapons, randomized gameplay features. I already know I probably won't play Halo 4 for long, not because of all these little changes and alterations, but because in the end, the base gameplay will be the same as Halo 3 and Reach. It's going to be slow with a imited shooting skill gap and focus almost exclusively on teamshot. Until the underlying issues are resolved (which they wont be), auto pickup and having a flagnum really aren't huge deals to me. I don't necessarily like them and I think a lot of them are unnecessary, but they are insiginificant next to slow base gameplay.

I mean, at some point you're playing Call of Duty—the "slowness" you're talking about is really what separates these two shooters.

Halo rewards teamwork quite heavily as you noted: team shooting is crucial to victory. But the game has in fact been sped up. Everyone has sprint. You can respawn almost instantly. Armor abilities stack on top of sprint to add even more movement speed bonuses. You can even reload faster with Dexterity. What you're missing then is simply faster kill speed (welcome to BlopsII (Reach still has SWAT)) or harder to use weapons (I don't even know what that would entail... there's certainly a precision to the DMR/Battlerifle).

EvB

Come on, those aren't fair comparisons at all. Of course they can't keep using the same actor for a movie that has had so many iterations. And the pelican stayed mostly the same, design wise from CE to Reach.

The Halo 4 Jackal however, and his head in particular, looks very different from the previous Jackals. The older Jackals looked bird like, while the ones in 4 have lost that look.

I was probably stretching it a little with the 007 thing. I'm sure if they do feel like explaining it , it'll be along the lines of 'Even on earth humans have variances in skin color and bone structure, the same thing happens on the covenant species home worlds'

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a just got memberised. Time to start acting like a giant member , bring me some juniors to patronise!
Also make sure to wax nostalgic about the good ol' days of OT10.

IHaveIce

Banned
Woops, I'm from the EU, Holland to be precise.
By the way, when I say that I'm more of campaign guy I mean that I'm mostly looking forward to playing Halo 4 campaign rather than the MP. I've still played a lot of Halo 3 and Reach MP :)
Oh another dutch guy? You guys planning an overtake? Just kidding, welcome.
If you want send me an pm for GT, I'm also from Europe
So Vic had an interesting tweet if it pertains to Halo 4.

https://twitter.com/vicdeleon/status/260873588788301824

Oh interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom