• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

COD, BF have sprint as toggle, it is impractical to hold even an analog stick.
So most likely you only press with, like in Reach.

Impractical, but Halo is the series in which you had to hold down the stick to stay crouched, no?

I haven't played Reach in a while.

Woorloog

Banned
Impractical, but Halo is the series in which you had to hold down the stick to stay crouched, no?

I haven't played Reach in a while.

Toggle crouch, toggle crouch. Helps so much. Expect when crouch jumps are needed.

EDIT and while running you need to keep the stick pushed forwards, while crouch jump it isn't usually necessary (at least for long).

A6CAz4nCIAABkuU.jpg
Oh my lawd.. Where'd this came from and no Ellis?
---
Also if Halo2: Anniversary were considered a remake officially, finding hidden terminals/skulls/easter eggs will be difficult yet fun. Going past barriers without any mods/hacks is an achievement on its own and would compliment the players(s) by venturing outside of the objective (Procrastinating Spartan) and campaign levels.

I finished it (on Normal), with a lot of breaks, in about 8 hours. A GOOD player could shave a couple of hours off that, easy (the first time through).

There'll be 2-hour speedruns in a year or so.

I'm curious how long it'll take me on Heroic. I'm guessing considerably longer. ;)

Am i missing something? Lu Wu already has the game? Go you dude.

I finished it (on Normal), with a lot of breaks, in about 8 hours. A GOOD player could shave a couple of hours off that, easy (the first time through).

There'll be 2-hour speedruns in a year or so.

I'm curious how long it'll take me on Heroic. I'm guessing considerably longer. ;)
Can you say if Normal is the new Heroic (sorry if you already answered that)? I like a good, fair challenge that makes me feel like a total badass when I make the right decisions. If Normal is like past Halos, I actually lose some enjoyment when mowing enemies down with little to no repercussions.

Thanks. Only issue is Audible is blocked at work. :(
no smartphone?

Beckx

8 Hour long review event? Seems a bit big.

Frankie mentioned having to supervise a reviewer who spent 24 hours with the campaign, exploring everything.

Very likely they brought many people into Redmond to spend a few days with the game - much like Konami did with MGS4 and (I believe) Rockstar did for GTA4. Don't know if Wu was part of that, of course.

Must be a 4 thing. :)

Frankie mentioned having to supervise a reviewer who spent 24 hours with the campaign, exploring everything.

Very likely they brought many people into Redmond to spend a few days with the game - much like Konami did with MGS4 and (I believe) Rockstar did for GTA4. Don't know if Wu was part of that, of course.

Must be a 4 thing. :)
That guy was Geoff Keighley. lol. Yes. It is true.

How do you think these events work?

Iv honestly never heard of them until your post, The idea of hosting a 8 hour+ event were people finish the game seems silly to me.

I figured press got sent review copies of the game

Press would also attend 4-6 hour long "playtest" events in which they play MP with devs and other press people so they have news to write about

Some of the bigger people i assume also get 1 on 1 time with the devs and the game guided playtests of SpOps and Campaign missions.

kylej

Banned
playtests are BK bonanzas full of people playing on those maps for the first time and waving around ARs. wouldn't put too much weight on those death locations

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wu, pot calling kettle black much?

All hyped up on Doritos and Dew, stumbling through Requiem.

Nah he was super busy on the phone. I wonder if whoever was on the other end of the line heard the wild cheering and cursing during the MP session hahahaha

Nah he was super busy on the phone. I wonder if whoever was on the other end of the line heard the wild cheering and cursing during the MP session hahahaha

I would rather a reviewer actually spend that amount time engrossing themselves in the game and everything about it. Would surely put a damper on many of the superficial types of reviews we get so often for games nowadays.

Akai__

i take a short campaign with no filler over a 15-20 hour campaign any day. and there is still spartan ops and heroic/legendary.

That's what I meant. Short campaigns can feel very long, if they are awesome.

Looking forward to play it and to explore every corner, if the game allows us to. Always loved that in Halo, except in Reach.

Tashi

I would rather a reviewer actually spend that amount time engrossing themselves in the game and everything about it. Would surely put a damper on many of the superficial types of reviews we get so often for games nowadays.

Yea you would but Geoff Keighley is a fuckin rockstar.

Louis Wu

Am i missing something? Lu Wu already has the game? Go you dude.
Nope, Review event, as mentioned. It was a 2-day event (total of 25 hours of actual time-I-could-have-been-playing). I took food breaks, but I came when it started and left when it closed down. I think it probably broke down to about 8 hours in Campaign, 5 hours in Spartan Ops, and the balance in Multiplayer.

Can you say if Normal is the new Heroic (sorry if you already answered that)? I like a good, fair challenge that makes me feel like a total badass when I make the right decisions. If Normal is like past Halos, I actually lose some enjoyment when mowing enemies down with little to no repercussions.
I'm not sure it's the new Heroic - but this was the first game I started on Normal, and I didn't find it much easier than previous games... so maybe it is. (I definitely found the Prometheans challenging during that first run-through; I would have been frustrated, especially at the end of a long day, had it been much harder.)

lol

willow ve

I'm not sure it's the new Heroic - but this was the first game I started on Normal, and I didn't find it much easier than previous games... so maybe it is. (I definitely found the Prometheans challenging during that first run-through; I would have been frustrated, especially at the end of a long day, had it been much harder.)

Was it difficult due to the number and interactions of enemies or difficult due to gimmicks in the AI (ie: they dodge shots or have impossibly accurate snipers)?

Did you try noob combo on the Prom Knights?

playtests are BK bonanzas full of people playing on those maps for the first time and waving around ARs. wouldn't put too much weight on those death locations
It's not a one-time test where they pull hobos off the street, but you already knew that. However, I will concede the heatmaps will probably look a bit different once all the xbl asshats get into their groove.

I am so excited to fight some new enemies for a change (Skirmehshers, lol). This game needs to be in my face now.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, so you go to play through it more than once?

This is how I feel right now:

gV1dO.png

Tashi

Wu how long did it take you to beat Reach on heroic the first time compared to the 8hrs for 4. And you sure it was 8 for you? Thought it was closer to 9 lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
8 hours sounds good. That means it will probably match or be close to my Reach legendary time of 10 hours first time through.

Can't wait.

Overdoziz

Banned
8 hours sounds good. That means it will probably match or be close to my Reach legendary time of 10 hours first time through.

Can't wait.
I think I played through Reach in 7 hours on Heroic the first time. Definitely doing Legendary this time around as 7 hours is a bit too short for my taste, plus it was too easy. Around 10 would probably be the sweet spot.

kylej

Banned
It's not a one-time test where they pull hobos off the street, but you already knew that. However, I will concede the heatmaps will probably look a bit different once all the xbl asshats get into their groove.

Irrelevant. People naturally want to run around and explore the maps in playtests, hence people dying all over the place. Map flow and death choke points have nothing to do with asshats on XBL.

Then again all the spawns in Halo 4 are random like COD so maybe it will be all over the place.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I have absolutely zero concept of how much time it has taken me to play through Halo campaigns for the first time. Eight hours doesn't sound like much, but if that's typical, then sweet.

And yeah, I'll definitely be going with Heroic. I was skeptical that Normal would really be that hard, and Wu's initial impressions seem to confirm my suspicions.

Louis Wu

Was it difficult due to the number and interactions of enemies or difficult due to gimmicks in the AI (ie: they dodge shots or have impossibly accurate snipers)?

Did you try noob combo on the Prom Knights?
Can't really talk about specifics, I don't think (until November 1), so I'll have to leave this alone.

Wait, so you go to play through it more than once?
Oops, sorry. I COULD have played through it more than once; my time was my own. I chose to play it once, and move on to other parts of the package.

I just meant I expected my next playthrough to be a little easier, now that I know what to expect in certain places.

Wu how long did it take you to beat Reach on heroic the first time compared to the 8hrs for 4. And you sure it was 8 for you? Thought it was closer to 9 lol.
My notes say I started the first cutscene at 9:23am, and the credits kicked in at 5:36pm. I could be doing the math wrong, but that seems like 8:13 to me...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I have absolutely zero concept of how much time it has taken me to play through Halo campaigns for the first time. Eight hours doesn't sound like much, but if that's typical, then sweet.

And yeah, I'll definitely be going with Heroic. I was skeptical that Normal would really be that hard, and Wu's initial impressions seem to confirm my suspicions.

Wu was too busy making his list and checking it twice. He wasn't really "focused" on Halo.

<3 Wu

Tashi

Can't really talk about specifics, I don't think (until November 1), so I'll have to leave this alone.

Oops, sorry. I COULD have played through it more than once; my time was my own. I chose to play it once, and move on to other parts of the package.

I just meant I expected my next playthrough to be a little easier, now that I know what to expect in certain places.

My notes say I started the first cutscene at 9:23am, and the credits kicked in at 5:36pm. I could be doing the math wrong, but that seems like 8:13 to me...

Gotcha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom