• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtbag

Honestly, did the game mechanics change so much from Reach?
The new AAs make stuff a lot more random, but that's not something specific to assault/1-sided CTF. And the other new stuff like weapons, vehicles are balanced already, because of the other game modes.
I don't see why you'd need that much testing specifically for assault/1-sided CTF and they could've done a beta if they wanted to. Biggest challenge would've been testing the flow of the maps for 1-sided objective, but they can retroactively fix a lot of that with forge anyway. And I don't see why maps that work in 2-sided CTF wouldn't work in 1-sided?
This thinking is just plain wrong. 1 sided gametypes are very time specific and weapon spawns are HUGE. This whole global ordinance shit would ruin 1-flag

Well, throw all the classic objectives into one playlist. Or make 'em customs only, or weekend playlist, or...

That's not how the matchmaking system is setup. The whole voting mechanic is just map-based, with no mention of modes.

This thinking is just plain wrong. 1 sided gametypes are very time specific and weapon spawns are HUGE. This whole global ordinance shit would ruin 1-flag
Use the layout from slayer pro then. And global ordinance is ruining everything anyway.

That's not how the matchmaking system is setup. The whole voting mechanic is just map-based, with no mention of modes.
Damnit, forgot about that. Well, this is stupid.
Still, with a little foresight (How about copying Reach's voting system? They still had the option to make playlists one game type only in Reach.) this could've been avoided

Fracas

#fuckonami
Who's seriously not playing this game anymore? I'm up to 2 weeks now.
I've barely touched it in the last few weeks. A handful of games here and there.

Waiting for the TU.
I love Halo's concept art so much.
I've played maybe half of SpOps, and I recognized most of the CG in there. What

Dirtbag

Use the layout from slayer pro then. And global ordinance is ruining everything anyway.

But imagine the sway global ordinance would have in a 3 minute round. Suddenly you get the defending team with an extra sniper rifle or rockets / just the fact that power weapons on the map itself would be randomized would fuck up the entire nuance of an attack/defend round. It would be a mess that no one would want to play, or would play and bitch about constantly.

Dirtbag

I kind of laughed at the need to add "New Missions and Locations" to the end. The acknowledgement is good, though.

The longer I go without playing Halo 4, the less my desire to revisit it becomes. But I'll revisit Spartan Ops at some point, hopefully after they figure out a way to add some challenge/consequence for death.

The entire MP game was built around slayer. I'm not surprised you don't like this iteration.
Objective-based modes have lost their direction.

Honestly, who thought it was a good idea to show soo many medals on the screen at once and then to cram the 'kill-feed' text underneath? (taking pictures of my TV feels sooo 2005)

Not only do I have no idea what half of those medals are for (ironic, given I've been with Halo from the start and the changes that were supposed to make things easier to understand have made things overly complicated), but I also have no idea who I'm killing/what the hell is going on with my team mates.

Reach had this pretty much perfect. In game I could see that player x was just sniped or whatever. Now it's just a mess

White text can still GTFO. Unnecessary clutter for something you don't see in game

Yeah, the kill feed and medals are so hard to make out. I don't mind the white text though, doesn't bother me one bit. On the other hand they could have made the medal/kill feed take up too much space and clutter the screen more.

But imagine the sway global ordinance would have in a 3 minute round. Suddenly you get the defending team with an extra sniper rifle or rockets / just the fact that power weapons on the map itself would be randomized would fuck up the entire nuance of an attack/defend round. It would be a mess that no one would want to play, or would play and bitch about constantly.

Guess you're right, adding 1-sided objective to the game they have now would be a hell of a hassle.

However, had they not implemented global ordnance and the new voting system, it would've been a lot easier. The layouts in 1-sided objective in Halo 3 were almost identical to normal slayer and objective (a few vehicles were different, but the weapons were the same).

I miss you, 1-sided :(
My greatest Halo memories are of 1-sided CTF/assault on terminal, zanzibar/last restort, avalanche...

Especially avalanche. God damn I loved that map. Best BTB map ever. And the only map where the scorpion wasn't OP.

Havok

Yeah, we found out we won at that red carpet interview live, so our surprise is both genuine and double, because we basically had no idea what was going on. Then we couldn't keep the trophy, they send your real ones later, so we bought a karate trophy from a sports store so we could carry it around at the after parties.
That's fantastic. I think everyone who got their awards on the carpet had that same reaction of just "what the heck is going on?" judging by their facial expressions. I think I'd rather have a karate trophy than that creepy monkey.

Congrats on the awards!

Black Ops 2 has a quit penalty.

Black Ops 2 quit penalty sucks because every time you black screen it pretty much counts as a quit.

I think a quit penalty would be great in Halo 4 though, because at least host migrations work in that game.

Conor 419

Banned

I have found little motivation to play, I just watch the Spartan Op trailers when they release on youtube, I don't do the missions. I'll have the odd game with my housemate here and there.

With no visible ranking system and no server browser. I have little reason to stick around.

God forbid Microsoft do not learn their lesson with Halo 5.

Karl2177

So what was my little survey thing about?

I'm using it to gain a broader sample of people's opinions of the game. I'm generally negative about it, but what I say isn't law. There are other perspectives and I feel I might enjoy it more if I can understand those viewpoints. I might even pass the survey on the 343 or something so they can get strict data about what they can improve about the game. Stuff like this shows a trend about what people do and don't like that they can't quite show through voting options and such.

yXnrU.png

And I'm opening a giant can of worms, but here you go lurkers. I want your opinion too.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFlxSVJPbm11UWR4YUhkVGZuSTg5Y3c6MQ#gid=0

Falt

Black Ops 2 has a quit penalty.

Black Ops 2 quit penalty sucks because every time you black screen it pretty much counts as a quit.

Didn't they have that in halo 3? You'd get minus 1 experience in the playlist if you quit out which sucked because I got black screened>disconnected all the time during H3. Beautiful netcode was beautiful.

I think a quit penalty would be great in Halo 4 though, because at least host migrations work in that game.

I was under the impression that if you quit or d/c, you don't get any of the xp gained during the game.

I'm using it to gain a broader sample of people's opinions of the game. I'm generally negative about it, but what I say isn't law. There are other perspectives and I feel I might enjoy it more if I can understand those viewpoints. I might even pass the survey on the 343 or something so they can get strict data about what they can improve about the game. Stuff like this shows a trend about what people do and don't like that they can't quite show through voting options and such.

yXnrU.png

And I'm opening a giant can of worms, but here you go lurkers. I want your opinion too.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFlxSVJPbm11UWR4YUhkVGZuSTg5Y3c6MQ#gid=0

I dont think that survey will be very useful, you need a option for 'I dislike all of the above' and 'classic map based ordnance'.

EDIT: There is a daily today which says "Win 20 games in Slayer", wtf!? The payout is tiny too lol. Considering the monthly is for 70 wins something is not adding up.

Personal and Global ordinance are both kind of random... what kind of poll options are those?

I'm totally on board for quit bans. *shrug*

It's a checkbox. So if you don't like any, don't click any.

I imagine most people will feel the need to click one option - and do you track entries from people who dont click anything? Do participants know that a none vote is counted? It would be better for the data if you had it as a clear cut option in there.

Think I'm around 80 hours of gameplay so far with no end in sight. Love the game, hate the bugs. Annoyed by some of the balance and UI decisions.

I'll be sad when I hit 130. I hope 343 adds some more endgame like Blizzard did in that D3 patch.

Personal and Global ordinance are both kind of random... what kind of poll options are those?

I'm totally on board for quit bans. *shrug*

I personally would remove JIP and just have quit bans re-instated in a better way.

JiP promotes a more casual flexible matchmaking, where players can drop in and out at leisure. This would work fine if Halo had the population to sustain JiP. Right now most matches dont end up getting filled back up and a lot of games (in my experience) are uneven a lot of the way through.

ElRenoRaven

yXnrU.png

Yea that thing is screwed for one reason. You have to pick at least 1 of those 3. If you don't like any of them you shouldn't have to pick one. So you need a none of the above option there.

Karl2177

Yea that thing is screwed for one reason. You have to pick at least 1 of those 3. If you don't like any of them you shouldn't have to pick one. So you need a none of the above option there.

That's odd. I just tried again and it wouldn't let me complete it, but there's two in the spreadsheet that don't have any selection there. It should be updated.

Tawpgun

Isn't Global Ordnance and Random Ordnance the same thing?

Here's the thing with their version of ordnance.

They wanted to even the playing field so experienced players wouldn't know when and where things spawn.
They wanted each match to play differently, to be dynamic.

Global Ordnance accomplished NONE of this. What you get instead is this random clusterfuck of no one knows whats going on. Sometimes the HUD won't glitch out and tell you that rockets spawned across the map. But no one was prepared for this. Sometimes they'll spawn much closer to someone else.

Experienced players don't know whats going on
and new players don't know whats going on

Its sloppy and baffling it was even implemented.

I personally would remove JIP and just have quit bans re-instated in a better way.

JiP promotes a more casual flexible matchmaking, where players can drop in and out at leisure. This would work fine if Halo had the population to sustain JiP. Right now most matches dont end up getting filled back up and a lot of games (in my experience) are uneven a lot of the way through.

Why not just have Join in Progress but reinstate quit bans so people Quit in Progess less? :p

Idea to revise the playlists: do a ranked/social split, whether you want to call it Classic/Infinity or whatever.

RANKED
No Join in Progress, no instant respawns, no personal ordnance, all of that good stuff. These playlists would include CSR functionality.
Lone Wolves (FFA, 6 players. First two slots are Slayer, third is Oddball.)
Slayer Pro (4v4)
Team Regicide (4v4)
Team SWAT (4v4)
Team Objective (5v5. First option is alternating One Flag/One Bomb, second option is Capture the Flag, third option is Assault.)
Team Extraction (6v6)

SOCIAL
Halo 4 shit. Instant respawns, join in progress, personal ordnance, all of that. Enjoy!
Infinity FFA (6 Players)
Infinity Slayer (4v4)
Infinity CTF (5v5)
Oddball (5v5)
King of the Hill (5v5)
Dominion (6v6)
Big Team Battle (8v8)

ACTION SACK
A single Double EXP Playlist; the playlist would be rotated from a pool of options. Some options would include:
Flood
Race
Team Snipers
Grifball

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also Stability mod plus Battle Rifle is straight up awesome.
I figured it'd benefit most.

Honestly can't wait to get some of these specialization mods, they'll change all of my loadouts significantly. Getting Fast Track today. With SpOps second half being moved to next year, was definitely the best decision to go for Fast Track first.

I wish I could have subtitles on SpOps.
Agreed 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom