• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Striker

for Over.

buq4h06.png
Sigh.

Its too late to keep the casuals.

You have to make a good game that they can practice and get good at. Dont cater to them and dumb the game down, they are smart enough to realize that, you make the game with a learning curve and they get the aha spark while playing and become addicted.

No matter what maps or settings you put in H4 the people will not come back.

Halo 5 cater to competitive crowd while leaving social things in like BTB.MultiTeam and Unranked Slayer.

The game will do just fine when they realize the game is good and they have a place.

Shadders

Is this because your most played Halo had these things? What if someone got into Halo at Reach? Their "classic" Halo would involve loadouts and AAs.

That's what I was getting at.

I don't think there's one definition of classic Halo. It all depends on the person's frame of reference.

You're being silly here. I actually like Halo 4, but there's no way you can argue loadouts have a place in classic Halo. If people perceive classic Halo to not have loadouts, then their perceptions are wrong.

Moa

Until it's taken away a week later.

At least we get to content, yay.

Dunno if you were kidding or anything, but they plan to keep Doubles as a permanent playlist.

EDIT: This is Moa, forgetting CyReN is a fucking Cartographer.

Blueblur1

All I have to say is: lol.

While it was a positive statement produced to excite players, it shows Kevin is clearly unaware that the fanbase that is most vocal, and probably makes up the majority of the dwindling playerbase, does not care for "OP" anything. 343 is still incredibly ignorant to what the real Halo fans, the ones that still play and want to enjoy Halo 4, want.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You're being silly here. I actually like Halo 4, but there's no way you can argue loadouts have a place in classic Halo. If people perceive classic Halo to not have loadouts, then their perceptions are wrong.

I'm not arguing anything about loadouts "having a place." I'm merely suggesting that the definition of "classic Halo" can be different depending on which Halo you spent the most time with. I'd bet that even HaloGaf would argue between whether Halo 1, 2 or 3 was the true "classic Halo." There is no rubric or template. It all depends on your reference game.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
My question was more about whether or not classic Halo is possible with Halo 4. Is it just a handful of settings that prevents it from being classic?

I don't believe so. Even if you remove AA's. loadouts, ordnance etc. you're still left with dumbed down shooting mechanics and very poor maps.

When I refer to shooting mechanics I mean the amount of aim assist and bullet magnetism coupled with a hitscan shot registration system. Basically there is not much skill involved in shooting, so considering its an fps and the whole point of the game is shooting its a bit game breaking. I personally think this aspect of the game is worse than everything else as its right at the core of the game.

The Spartan Ops video was frustrating for me to watch.
:(
I'm not arguing anything about loadouts "having a place." I'm merely suggesting that the definition of "classic Halo" can be different depending on which Halo you spent the most time with. I'd bet that even HaloGaf would argue between whether Halo 1, 2 or 3 was the true "classic Halo." There is no rubric or template. It all depends on your reference game.
They'd likely agree it's the triangle at least.

I don't believe so. Even if you remove AA's. loadouts, ordnance etc. you're still left with dumbed down shooting mechanics and very poor maps.

When I refer to shooting mechanics I mean the amount of aim assist and bullet magnetism coupled with a hitscan shot registration system. Basically there is not much skill involved in shooting, so considering its an fps and the whole point of the game is shooting its a bit game breaking. I personally think this aspect of the game is worse than everything else as its right at the core of the game.
Thanks solely to the DMR. I think the settings used at AGL is a great start to moving in a classic direction. The load out system should have been very restrictive from the start (ie. DMR, Boltshot, PP, plasma nades, etc.) leaving these weapons on the playing field as pickups.

I get you in a literal sense but the practical use of classic Halo is largely the more competitive settings. Loadouts are not classic. Well, the ability to mix and match anyway. Loadouts that are set and defied aren't inherently less competitive.

Is GAF not working right for anyone else? The mobile version is fine but desktop redirects me to godaddy

edit: working again, that was weird. thanks for help below

After coming back to Halo after a two month hiatus, the only thing 343 seems to have accomplished is making Spartan Ops even more LOLworthy.

I mean, seriously, not a single flipping new map?

After coming back to Halo after a two month hiatus, the only thing 343 seems to have accomplished is making Spartan Ops even more LOLworthy.

I mean, seriously, not a single flipping new map?
There are new maps, right from the start.

Episode 6 and 7 are fucking amazing too. Battles are larger and better paced, at times becoming one very long running battle (my favorite, and reminiscent of parts of CE), or settling into Firefight like hold-your-position encounters (ODST campaign-ish).

I always dug SpOps as a terrorist hunt mode, but what they've been doing since the break has turned me into a fan of the concept.

Wish I knew what their plans were for a season 2. If they charge for it, I'd hope that could subsidize the versus map packs.

There are new maps, right from the start.

Episode 6 and 7 are fucking amazing too. Battles are larger and better paced, at times becoming one very long running battle, or settling into Firefight like hold-your-position encounters.

I always dug SpOps as a terrorist hunt mode, but what they've been doing since the break has turned me into a fan of the concept.

Wish I knew what their plans were for a season 2. If they charge for it, I'd hope that could subsidize the versus map packs.

Uh-huh. I'll have to wait until next month to find out, I suppose, because that's how long those episodes are taking to download. Episode 5 was just plain terrible. The second mission was particularly frustrating. How the fuck do you protect the scientists when they're unarmed and have a habit of charging toward the Prometheans like headless chickens.

Also, SpOps still does not scale for single player.

Havent played the forge playlist?
What?
Que?
Как?

Also, SpOps still does not scale for single player.
That's a big gripe alright. I don't really solo them as much anymore, preferring matchmaking if my buddies aren't around. Lag can be an issue though, so I'd actually like to see them consolidate the playlist more, and maybe have players vote on which episode to play. Of course then you'd lose story progression.

What is this?
Early Spartan Ops with scoring? Or maybe some ideas of whats to come? Its from here (22 minute making-of and interviews about Spartan Ops).

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm confident at this point that 343 simply forgot about Campaign and Spartan Ops scoring, same as Certain Affinity with precision forging.

Top Bottom