• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Maybe Sony will finally get rid of their shitty controller.

This so much. Just copy the Xbox controller, add a great d-pad and better bumpers and be done with it. Hell, I'd settle for a universal controller. My damn thumbs hit each other playing shooters on the Dualshock.

Dirtbag

How would you guys like to alternate FPS Halo releases yearly with one that follows Halo 1/2 and the other that has current-Infinity gametypes, ADS, quick kills, basically a modern shooter feel but set in Halo's universe?

If CoD ever goes straight sci-fi (Halo/ME) with their sandbox I'd have to bite. I've grown tired of realistic military shooters where a piece of grass looks like a player..

Maybe get Halo 4 from Best Buy for $20 then the season pass for $25 and it'll still be less than what most of us paid.

I suggested just that a while back.
Go all the way COD:Halo with an infantry shooter (down sights, and killstreaks), and then alternate with the traditional style Halo on the next release.

No more watering down the versions, just go all the way in both directions (but separate).

I'd have no problem trying out a completely COD styled Halo, as long as it doesn't interfere with my main series release.

How would you guys like to alternate FPS Halo releases yearly with one that follows Halo 1/2 and the other that has current-Infinity gametypes, ADS, quick kills, basically a modern shooter feel but set in Halo's universe?

If CoD ever goes straight sci-fi (Halo/ME) with their sandbox I'd have to bite. I've grown tired of realistic military shooters where a piece of grass looks like a player..

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.
I really think that next gen, the main Halo series needs to grow out of small arena shooter gameplay.
Next gen can be so much bigger than that, and Halo is Microsoft's flagship series. They are going to want it to "lead the revolution".
The sentiment probably comes from playing Battlefield so much this gen.

So that would fit the need of the huge franchise exclusive that appeals to as many customers as possible.

That would free them up to design a smaller scale, competitive Halo arena shooter for the hardcore fans.
Use the Halo 4 engine scaled up. Should be super cheap to dev.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.
I really think that next gen, the main Halo series needs to grow out of small arena shooter gameplay.
Next gen can be so much bigger than that, and Halo is Microsoft's flagship series. It needs to lead the revolution.
The sentiment probably comes from playing Battlefield so much this gen.

So that would fit the need of the huge franchise exclusive that appeals to as many customers as possible.

That would free them up to design a smaller scale, competitive Halo arena shooter for the hardcore fans.
Use the Halo 4 engine scaled up. Should be super cheap to dev.

343 needs to be more confident though and that doesn't really show with Halo 4. It seems like they're scared of cutting features or not adding generic ones from popular shooters because it might scare fans off. They have to lead, not follow.

orznge

Banned
343 needs to be more confident though and that doesn't really show with Halo 4. It seems like they're scared of cutting features or not adding generic ones from popular shooters because it might scare fans off. They have to lead, not follow.

this is definitely not a thing they're scared of lol

Moa

Sir-Richard-Branson-9224520-1-402.jpg

I wont see any of this since Halo 2 and I doubt Halo 5 would change that.

http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Profiles/B/Sir-Richard-Branson-9224520-1-402.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[I]Fucking[/I] perfect execution.. [i]and[/i] top of the page to boot.

Damn, I think it's finally time to delete the Halo 3 Beta. [I]RIP Halo[/I]

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Khs8BBf.jpg

Go all the way COD:Halo with an infantry shooter (down sights, and killstreaks), and then alternate with the traditional style Halo on the next release.

No more watering down the versions, just go all the way in both directions (but separate).

I'd have no problem trying out a completely COD styled Halo, as long as it doesn't interfere with my main series release.

Just base this around UNSC marines and not Spartans, and I'd be fine with it. Makes perfect sense for marines to be running around aiming down sights and dying a lot. Makes no sense for Spartans.

I'd almost rather see a game like that go the Battlefield route than the COD route, though. Complete with vehicles and the ability to call in ODST drops, etc.

Fuchsdh

Just base this around UNSC marines and not Spartans, and I'd be fine with it. Makes perfect sense for marines to be running around aiming down sights and dying a lot. Makes no sense for Spartans.

I'd almost rather see a game like that go the Battlefield route than the COD route, though. Complete with vehicles and the ability to call in ODST drops, etc.
Or I could just play CoD. A Battlefront style game would offer more in terms of large scale combat that I'd prefer without getting dragged down into mechanics that I'd rather not mix.

I would very definitely play Call of Halo 4. Leave the rocks and forerunner/UNSC tech environments to that, play with a ridiculous sandbox of human weapons (including past variants - Halo 2 BR, Halo 3 BR, etc) and then go back to a more balanced faction listing for the mainline games.

IHaveIce

Banned
What does classic Halo look like? Is it just Halo 4 stripped down? Serious question.
Balanced Halo without shit like loadouts, AAs, instant respawn, no personal ordnance. And no bloom

Set weapon spawns, a balanced and good sandbox that isn't filled with useless or non-unique weapons

No sprint would also be ok.

No armor abilities.
No flinching when shot.
No sprint.
No perks.
No ordinance.
No...

ah, this is gonna take forever.

Ehhh, going too far IMO. Classic Halo, to me, is simply how balanced and powerful it feels while retaining the key components that most people probably agree on (equal starts, fighting over power weapons/power-ups, etc.). Halo used to be extremely competitive and fun because it allowed for serious skill to blossom while having crazy custom games. It's still not simple enough to make a fun gametype and play it whenever you want. It's still not simple enough to play what you want, when you want. Halo's just not simple anymore. It's confused and confusing.

AA's and Ordnance were just implemented poorly IMO. No reason to completely write them off if there are seemingly simple ways to make them fun (ie: Camo).

Pistol starts, Mark V only, Final Destination.

And this.

To me though the point isn't about what is classic Halo, it's more about how classic Halo makes you feel. That feeling is what you'll find most people agreeing with. If that makes any sense lol..

it looks like a bunch of pale basement dwellers thinking they're good because they can mow down a bunch of "noobs" with the overpowered CE pistol

I used to like you..

2153730_o.gif

Ghazi

So I'm guessing that when Halsey overrode Roland it reset the list of blocked websites on the Infinity, because Palmer got access to Twitter again.

XZXPfds.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Honestly? Class Halo is whatever Halo game was out when you played Halo the most. The mechanics associated with that game will be "classic Halo" to you.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I can think of one classic thing

No loadouts, everyone spawns on equal footing.

Is this because your most played Halo had these things? What if someone got into Halo at Reach? Their "classic" Halo would involve loadouts and AAs.

That's what I was getting at.

I don't think there's one definition of classic Halo. It all depends on the person's frame of reference.

So anyone who wants the campaign challenges and doesnt want to slog through reclaimer should look at this.

Reclaimer with all skulls can be done in 18 minutes while skipping the Lich battle, Sniper Alley and pretty much all enemies. I did it and had 7 kills overall. With a 40,000 payout.

Shout out to RC Master. Video here

Naturally its even easier as it doesnt need to be LASO

If MS wanted to "kill COD" they should have hired the two Infinity Ward heads.

Ghazi

So anyone who wants the campaign challenges and doesnt want to slog through reclaimer should look at this.

Reclaimer with all skulls can be done in 18 minutes while skipping the Lich battle, Sniper Alley and pretty much all enemies. I did it and had 7 kills overall. With a 40,000 payout.

Shout out to RC Master. Video here

Naturally its even easier as it doesnt need to be LASO
Does Fast Track affect challenges? Because it would probably boost this up a lot, I'm one rank away from getting it.

Custom Loadouts should be removed outside of Infinity gametypes and Spartan Ops. I think that's a decent compromise, but sadly one that will probably never happen outside of the errant playlist or two. Objective games will continue to be made worse by the constant existence of Camo, Boltshot, Promethean Vision, and Jetpack. Pulling those 4 things alone from Loadouts would do wonders for the game.

Is this because your most played Halo had these things? What if someone got into Halo at Reach? Their "classic" Halo would involve loadouts and AAs.

I don't think there's one definition of classic Halo. It all depends on the person's frame of reference.

No thats because the first Halo and the second Halo and the Third Halo all had this.

Loadouts were not introduced until later Halos, Reach and on.

One must go back and look at Halo's as a whole before looking at the games they are most familiar with when determining classic Halo.

Fuck that twitter post. My god the MP lead designer has no fucking clue what is good for Halo. We are already dead.

Classic to them but not classic to Halo.

My question was more about whether or not classic Halo is possible with Halo 4. Is it just a handful of settings that prevents it from being classic?

Absolutely. It's always seemed that easy though tbh, but both Bungie/343 seem unwilling to accept it :[

Just look at Camo. The evolution of Camo in the Halo series tells it all.

Top Bottom