• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Tawpgun

As I said I would a few weeks ago...

I wrote a quick python script to find out the number of times "rip halo" has been said

Code:
OT 14

JHall: 3
Overdoziz: 2
Tawpgun: 2
Steelyuhas: 2
xxjuicesxx: 2
Gazzawa: 2
Enfinit: 1
senador: 1
Tunavi: 1
TheOddOne: 1
Reagan's BR: 1
Tashi: 1
DeadNames: 1
vadrigar: 1
GrizzNKev: 1
Mayyhem: 1
Barrow Roll: 1
Ramirez: 1
UNKNOWN iXi: 1
Fabalon: 1
kylej: 1
Garrett 2U: 1
EagleBurnn: 1
Dark Orchid: 1
MerkinMax: 1
PsychoRaven: 1

OT 13

Tawpgun: 7
Pop: 4
Deadly Cyclone: 3
Overdoziz: 3
xxjuicesxx: 3
JHall: 3
Gazzawa: 3
Computron: 2
u4iX: 2
Steelyuhas: 2
Ramirez: 2
Karl2177: 2
randomrosso: 1
ThoseDeafMutes: 1
Silly.Mikey: 1
TheOddOne: 1
Wahrer Machine: 1
Dax01: 1
TurkishEmperor$period: 1
Reagan's BR: 1
Tashi: 1
CyReN: 1
DeadNames: 1
Digital Limit: 1
PNut: 1
SPACECADET: 1
Moa: 1
GrizzNKev: 1
bobs...onGaf: 1
Rev3rb: 1
ViewtifulJC: 1
Rickenslacker: 1
Pok3R Fac3D: 1

This also accounts for "rip in peace halo" as well.

Edit: rip Tawpgun
I stand by all my rips.

Awaiting the Resurrection when dubdubs and slayer pro come back.

For the record I would enjoy a less pro version of Slayer Pro as well. Probably more so than Pro. Just ban certain items from loadouts/have set loadouts, have predictable, well placed ordnance. Get rid of isntant respawn. And Halo is back. Unfortunately that seems to be too big of a middle ground so it looks like our choices are gonna be Fiesta Halo vs Pro Halo.

I miss BTB but I have zero hope of them fixing its issues, considering how much the masses love it so far.

Rev3rb

I stand by all my rips.

Awaiting the Resurrection when dubdubs and slayer pro come back.

For the record I would enjoy a less pro version of Slayer Pro as well. Probably more so than Pro. Just ban certain items from loadouts/have set loadouts, have predictable, well placed ordnance. Get rid of isntant respawn. And Halo is back. Unfortunately that seems to be too big of a middle ground so it looks like our choices are gonna be Fiesta Halo vs Pro Halo.

I miss BTB but I have zero hope of them fixing its issues, considering how much the masses love it so far.

You're also #1 of saying the word "fuck".

Code:
Fuck:

Tawpgun: 48
xxjuicesxx: 28
Tashi: 27
Dirtbag: 26
Ozzy Onya A2Z: 19
NullPointer: 18
Alienshogun: 18
Pok3R Fac3D: 17
The Antitype: 16
randomrosso: 15
rakka: 15
TheOddOne: 14
squidhands: 14
Ryaaan14: 14
IHaveIce: 14
Enter The 36 Chambers: 14
YourExWife: 14
Wahrer Machine: 13
Steelyuhas: 13
TCKaos: 12

halo

IHaveIce

Banned
You're also #1 in the top ten of saying the word "fuck".

Code:
Fuck:

Tawpgun: 48
xxjuicesxx: 28
Tashi: 27
Dirtbag: 26
Ozzy Onya A2Z: 19
NullPointer: 18
Alienshogun: 18
Pok3R Fac3D: 17
The Antitype: 16
randomrosso: 15

halo

I'm not even in the fuck list?

Fuck that.

OT but: PS4 2014 for Europe? .. Fuck you Sony

A trashy shooter that plays badly, with weak characters and an ending that makes less sense to more you think about it?

did you play the same Spec Ops?

Also, just because some people aren't creative enough to make maps unless its on a "flat floor" doesn't meant there weren't other decent locations to forge.
i'mrubberyou'reglueyourfaceisuglyandyousmelllikepoo

I HAVE A POSITIVE K/D NOW SUCK IT WHAT
How can you be worse than me? Doesn't seem likely. Is it because you play with friends who are just better overall players? Whenever I play with Elzar and others, I do terrible with rare exceptions. I get 'better' matches when going in alone, but it's not nearly as fun as playing with friends.

How can you be worse than me? Doesn't seem likely. Is it because you play with friends who are just better overall players? Whenever I play with Elzar and others, I do terrible with rare exceptions. I get 'better' matches when going in alone, but it's not nearly as fun as playing with friends.

I've never seen you do terrible, I've seen terrible, we even named it.

It's known as going 'negative Bobs'.

:p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Halo 5 won't need the Blops 2 style of video sharing if Microsoft follows this Sony rumor...

"The next PlayStation will let you record gameplay and share it online, according to a new report."

Be nice to have those feature built right into the system.

Tawpgun

Considering how huge streaming/video game commentaries and other stuff on youtubes have been this gen...

would be a sweet deal. I know its a big marketing area for games. They love it if you feature their game on popular channels

Striker

Considering how huge streaming/video game commentaries and other stuff on youtubes have been this gen...

would be a sweet deal. I know its a big marketing area for games. They love it if you feature their game on popular channels
I think it's a no brainer. It's huge for PC gamers notably Minecraft.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Biggy <3.

More on that...

"A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet."

Put this in the nextbox plz.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
The fact is that at the time of H1/2/3 release, the competition for competent multiplayer shooters on consoles was non existent. Then COD4 came out and the public's taste changed. Now, military shooters are all the rage. Look at the number of media outlets which complained that Halo didn't have ADS.

The market is completely different now compared to when H1/2/3 launched. If a game like Halo 1 style multiplayer launched on consoles today I honestly don't think it would do well commercially.

I disagree. COD 4 was released approx 6 weeks after halo 3. I believe Halo 3 had more time as the most played xbl game throughout its lifetime or if not it was certainly neck and neck. Other popular games such as FIFA and GOW were also around during Halo 3's time at the top.

There is no actual logic to the argument that FPS games need to conform to COD style military shooter mechanics to be successful. To be honest most of the stuff in COD is gimmicky anyway, it doesn't add value to gameplay. As I said Halo was the most popular before it changed and moved in the direction of COD. Nobody knows what would have happened if Halo had stuck to the original formula and further refined it.

I think another factor in COD's popularity is that a new game is released annually with plenty of hype therefore constantly adding to its player base as the average gamer is given the impression its the latest greatest game to own, generating further momentum for the COD bandwagon.

I think its quite naive to assume there is just one market for console fps. My view is that there are a lot of people who like easy simple shooters like COD who will buy and play COD. As has been proven by Halo 4 they will not play halo 4 instead even though it has adopted many game mechanics from COD because COD is the master of its own genre. Halo provided a very popular alternative to CODesque games with a skilful arena shooter, I see no reason why there wouldn't still be a big market for that.

I would go on further to say that I don't think the multiplayer component of a game always has a significant effect on sales. With regard to Halo I think it will continue to sell well due to the popularity of the franchise and how well its marketed. Nobody really knew what Halo 4 multiplayer would even be like as there was no beta yet it still sold extremely well, more because it was a Halo game than on any merit of its gameplay.

Ultimately games are supposed to be fun and the gameplay is what makes or breaks the multiplayer. I don't see a shred of logic in the school of thought that suggests fps games need to follow the COD style of very easy, simple gameplay with a layer of gimmicks on top. If a game has solid gameplay and requires skill therefore adding depth and longevity then providing it can sell enough for people to be exposed to the game I see no reason why it wouldn't be very popular. If developers have this limited impression that they need to make COD style multiplayer to do well it will result in less variety for gamers and more lazy copycat multiplayer experiences.

Striker

I disagree. COD 4 was released approx 6 weeks after halo 3. I believe Halo 3 had more time as the most played xbl game throughout its lifetime or if not it was certainly neck and neck. Other popular games such as FIFA and GOW were also around during Halo 3's time at the top.
Neither FIFA or COD were as gigantic then as they were, say, three years later. Those two franchises grew, whether by word of mouth or the changes from in-game which allowed the game to become better. I'd say the games since then for Halo, for the most part, became worse and more frustrating to play than before.

That may or may not have been your overall point, but it's been said time and time again (in here), and the COD franchise from 2007 is more massive now than it was at the time. That said, I don't care what the COD games do. It's a shame they've decided to take Halo in this direction instead of make it what it became unique and fun to play.

There is no actual logic to the argument that FPS games need to conform to COD style military shooter mechanics to be successful. To be honest most of the stuff in COD is gimmicky anyway, it doesn't add value to gameplay. As I said Halo was the most popular before it changed and moved in the direction of COD. Nobody knows what would have happened if Halo had stuck to the original formula and further refined it.

I think another factor in COD's popularity is that a new game is released annually with plenty of hype therefore constantly adding to its player base as the average gamer is given the impression its the latest greatest game to own, generating further momentum for the COD bandwagon.

I think its quite naive to assume there is just one market for console fps. My view is that there are a lot of people who like easy simple shooters like COD who will buy and play COD. As has been proven by Halo 4 they will not play halo 4 instead even though it has adopted many game mechanics from COD because COD is the master of its own genre. Halo provided a very popular alternative to CODesque games with a skilful arena shooter, I see no reason why there wouldn't still be a big market for that.

I would go on further to say that I don't think the multiplayer component of a game always has a significant effect on sales. With regard to Halo I think it will continue to sell well due to the popularity of the franchise and how well its marketed. Nobody really knew what Halo 4 multiplayer would even be like as there was no beta yet it still sold extremely well, more because it was a Halo game than on any merit of its gameplay.

Ultimately games are supposed to be fun and the gameplay is what makes or breaks the multiplayer. I don't see a shred of logic in the school of thought that suggests fps games need to follow the COD style of very easy, simple gameplay with a layer of gimmicks on top. If a game has solid gameplay and requires skill therefore adding depth and longevity then providing it can sell enough for people to be exposed to the game I see no reason why it wouldn't be very popular. If developers have this limited impression that they need to make COD style multiplayer to do well it will result in less variety for gamers and more lazy copycat multiplayer experiences.

Some well thought out points, hopefully I'll have a chance later tonight to write up some counter points.

JHall

As I said I would a few weeks ago...

I wrote a quick python script to find out the number of times "rip halo" has been said

This also accounts for "rip in peace halo" as well.

Edit: rip Tawpgun

I stand by my RIP's.

Though I do understand that some people enjoy Halo 4; I pray for them every night.

I don't see a shred of logic in the school of thought

WAT_7a5639_2579689.gif

I feel like there's been a lot of decent discussion lately with less drama. What's going on around here..

On the topic of PS4 though, Sony is definitely coming out big next gen after what happened with the 360. It's going to be quite a battle between the two..

Dirtbag

WAT_7a5639_2579689.gif

I feel like there's been a lot of decent discussion lately with less drama. What's going on around here..

On the topic of PS4 though, Sony is definitely coming out big next gen after what happened with the 360. It's going to be quite a battle between the two..

I hope Sony mops the floor with MS this gen and I hope Sony figures out how to make a decent controller. I'm ready to switch

wwm0nkey

Biggy <3.

More on that...

"A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet."

Put this in the nextbox plz.

You know since Sony is going first Microsoft will copy. Also rumors are right now that sony is bumping up their RAM to 8 GB of GDRR5.

I hope Sony mops the floor with MS this gen and I hope Sony figures out how to make a decent controller. I'm ready to switch

It is 100% friends list dependent for me. Where ever the OG Halo bros go I will go. At launch anyway, I am sure I will end up with both once 1st parties hit.

You know since Sony is going first Microsoft will copy. Also rumors are right now that sony is bumping up their RAM to 8 GB of GDRR5.

This is what I'm excited for, just this straight 1v1 between Microsoft and Sony, no items, Final Destination. The competition is bringing the fiyaaaaa and it'll be interesting to see how well they do with both releasing the same year.

It is 100% friends list dependent for me. Where ever the OG Halo bros go I will go. At launch anyway, I am sure I will end up with both once 1st parties hit.

This is my mentality for multiplayer games, otherwise I'll probably get both before the year is over.

We, we so excite.

Dirtbag

For me its all about 1st party stuff, and with the direction halo has taken and MS's inability to develop anything else 1st party worth owning... I'll have my 360 to play destiny, and we'll see who is capable of getting me a 1st party exclusive that I want first.

LosDaddie

Banned
Neither FIFA or COD were as gigantic then as they were, say, three years later. Those two franchises grew, whether by word of mouth or the changes from in-game which allowed the game to become better. I'd say the games since then for Halo, for the most part, became worse and more frustrating to play than before.

That may or may not have been your overall point, but it's been said time and time again (in here), and the COD franchise from 2007 is more massive now than it was at the time. That said, I don't care what the COD games do. It's a shame they've decided to take Halo in this direction instead of make it what it became unique and fun to play.

The gaming landscape is indeed different now than in 2007 when Halo 3 launched. This console generation matured with more gamers getting their consoles. That's why more broadly (ie, global) appealing games chart at the top; Realistic military shooters and FIFA.

So why are you here?

I don't see how anyone can hope for one system to be completely better than the other? And "switching" is annoying too. It's like they think they're forced to only liking one.

thinking of picking up Halo 4 and a year of gold, worth it?

If you want to play Halo 4, buy it. Though I would suggest a 3-month card, then if you're enjoying it, a year.

Edit:

I think Halo 4 comes with a 2 week gold trial. Why not start with that.

This guy^ Have to buy new though.

Blueblur1

I feel the same way. Microsoft has become way too comfortable and I'm tired of crap like ads all over the dashboard, apps like Netflix held hostage by XBL Gold, and HDD prices.

G-Fex

I don't see how anyone can hope for one system to be completely better than the other? And "switching" is annoying too. It's like they think they're forced to only liking one.

If you want to play Halo 4, buy it, but I would suggest a 3-month card, then if you're enjoying it, a year.

eh cause GS is offering a year card for 40

Dirtbag

I don't see how anyone can hope for one system to be completely better than the other?
I only want to own one console. It's not really that hard to grasp.

And "switching" is annoying too. It's like they think they're forced to only liking one.
Again, its all about only interested in owning one console. I'm not nearly as hooked as I used to be, I see no reason to own multiple consoles when you can get 95% of the same games on both.

I'm exhausted with the constant marketing hooks, paying for xbox live services, and MS's approach to 1st party studios. I feel like I'm constantly being shilled with the xbox platform.

I wonder what the chances of Halo 4 having a small visual upgrade on the nextbox will be. Just seems like a good way to get Halo on that console early on if there is some sort of visual upgrade when you play.

375 million dollars

could have alternated Halo / Perfect Dark / Gears as their shooter stable and keep them on 3 year cycles

could have had a platformer franchise in Banjo, and an M rated general franchise in Conker, and a Zelda-style franchise with their canceled adventure/RPG game

NOPE

Rare is just Microsoft Systems Development UK now.

=(

I only want to own one console. It's not really that hard to grasp.

Again, its all about only interested in owning one console. I'm not nearly as hooked as I used to be, I see no reason to own multiple consoles when you can get 95% of the same games on both.

I'm exhausted with the constant marketing hooks, paying for xbox live services, and MS's approach to 1st party studios. I feel like I'm constantly being shilled with the xbox platform.

I understand that. It's a good thing PS+ is doing this free games deal, I bet that's pressuring MS to no end. Either we'll see a huge increase on what Live can do or a lower price, but I wouldn't hope for Sony to blow MS out of the water or anything. I really do expect that these consoles are going to be 50:50 in terms of value, each with their own benefits. They'll be no good or bad choice.

375 million dollars

could have alternated Halo / Perfect Dark / Gears as their shooter stable and keep them on 3 year cycles

could have had a platformer franchise in Banjo, and an M rated general franchise in Conker, and a Zelda-style franchise with their canceled adventure/RPG game

NOPE

Rare is just Microsoft Systems Development UK now.

If Banjo Threeie is a launch title for Durango, I will buy the most expensive bundle Day 1.
Balls in your court Microsoft.

The fact is that at the time of H1/2/3 release, the competition for competent multiplayer shooters on consoles was non existent. Then COD4 came out and the public's taste changed. Now, military shooters are all the rage. Look at the number of media outlets which complained that Halo didn't have ADS.

The market is completely different now compared to when H1/2/3 launched. If a game like Halo 1 style multiplayer launched on consoles today I honestly don't think it would do well commercially.

I disagree. People were hyped for this game. It sold like hotcakes during the launch window. Launch week saw 400,000 people playing multiplayer at peak hours- those are COD-like numbers.

People were highly interested in this game as an alternative to the standard military shooter. But the game has to be good in order to hold its population. Obviously, that hasn't been the case thus far.

Fuchsdh

I wonder what the chances of Halo 4 having a small visual upgrade on the nextbox will be. Just seems like a good way to get Halo on that console early on if there is some sort of visual upgrade when you play.

=(

Not that likely, although I do wonder whether the next gen consoles will have the ability to output something higher than 1080p (2K wouldn't be that much of a difference though 4K would.) I think it's clear we're getting full HD native Rez and I don't think boosting. The frame size makes a whole lot of sense at this point since not much is going to be on 4K televisions in the near future, but its always good to plan ahead.

Fracas

#fuckonami
eh? Cool i'll wait til tomorrow then.

Well I played all the MP's for every Halo so far and I liked them all, spent a lot of time with 3 and Reach's MP.
You'll probably enjoy it then. Plays like a faster reach, with a few large differences. Armor abilities are a main focus, and traditional weapon spawns are gone; there are custom loadouts as well. There's a map pack already, but I heartily recommend not buying it, haha.

How would you guys like to alternate FPS Halo releases yearly with one that follows Halo 1/2 and the other that has current-Infinity gametypes, ADS, quick kills, basically a modern shooter feel but set in Halo's universe?

If CoD ever goes straight sci-fi (Halo/ME) with their sandbox I'd have to bite. I've grown tired of realistic military shooters where a piece of grass looks like a player..

You'll probably enjoy it then. Plays like a faster reach, with a few large differences. There's a map pack already, but I heartily recommend not buying it, haha.

Maybe get Halo 4 from Best Buy for $20 then the season pass for $25 and it'll still be less than what most of us paid.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
How would you guys like to alternate FPS Halo releases yearly with one that follows Halo 1/2 and the other that has current-Infinity gametypes, ADS, quick kills, basically a modern shooter feel but set in Halo's universe?

If CoD ever goes straight sci-fi (Halo/ME) with their sandbox I'd have to bite. I've grown tired of realistic military shooters where a piece of grass looks like a player..

Maybe get Halo 4 from Best Buy for $20 then the season pass for $25 and it'll still be less than what most of us paid.

Other than being a different theme I fail to see how this would make the gameplay of COD good, or do you think COD has good gameplay?

COD et al are extremely unrealistic, they just give the impression of realism in some respects. I can't think of any realistic fps actually, even ARMA 2 is not realistic.

Top Bottom