• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

LUyiyba.png

Bam.

Except that there were troll sites that gave it a 2.0 and such, something the other games didn't suffer.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
LOL. C'mon, Deadly.

Hey, where else to you suggest I get any kind of idea as to sales? They may not be 100% accurate, but they are usually not terrible. If MS would publicly release sales totals we wouldn't have this issue.

Anyways Halo 4 sold well, which was my point.

Overdoziz

Banned
Except that there were troll sites that gave it a 2.0 and such, something the other games didn't suffer. Metacritic is declining and is lowering their standards and have been accepting one man blogs for the last year.
Meh, reviews are worthless anyway because the people who write them are basically paid by the publishers. Can't remember the last time I read one.

What population decline? Didn't Halo 4 and Halo Reach sell at least around as much as Halo 3, if not more? You could argue that the series isn't growing as fast as it used to, but to say it's declining is a bit far-fetched. Unless you're talking about the peak population numbers which have zero context. I'm all for bashing Halo 4, but using arguments like this is just silly.

Online population.

A mere week after launch Halo 4 Was below 500k player's. Halo 3 was pulling over 1,00,000 at that period in its life.

Bungie stopped Halo Stat tracking in March of last year.

The records showed that in Halo 3's 5 year Span 11.5 billion games where logged.
In 2 Years Halo: Reach logged 3.9 Billion games.

11.5 Billion divided by 5 years is 2.3 Billion. That's 4.6 Billion in a similar time frame to Halo Reach.

Now its not a direct indication of player count but its as close as we can get based on available stats

We also don't have game played stats for Halo 4 but based on it having half the population of Halo 3 we can make an assumption that in a similar period it would be 1.15 Billion a year but id say with the population dropping to the 100k mark that is being very optimistic.

Hey, where else to you suggest I get any kind of idea as to sales? They may not be 100% accurate, but they are usually not terrible. If MS would publicly release sales totals we wouldn't have this issue.

Anyways Halo 4 sold well, which was my point.

So we just assume they're right this one time? No data is better than ******** data.

Tawpgun

Doesn't effect me at all. Never bought games second hand and I doubt I ever will. Whenever I play I'm online, so that doesn't matter either.

lol, its not about buying games second hand.

It's shit like borrowing a game from a friend, renting, giving games away, all that is irrelevant.

If MSoft does this and Sony doesn't, Xbox is RIP'd

If sony does it too then fuck this industry

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So we just assume they're right this one time? No data is better than ******** data.

I didn't assume anything, I was using them in a general point about Halo 4 selling well. From the official MS PR we know it sold well, so the number doesn't matter. Disregard the number if it's that important to you.

I don't believe the always-online part, straight up. There are tens of millions of Xbox owners around the world that aren't online all the time. I don't think Microsoft would be stupid enough to cut all those people out just to spite GameStop and the rest of the second-hand market.

lol, its not about buying games second hand.

It's shit like borrowing a game from a friend, renting, giving games away, all that is irrelevant.

If MSoft does this and Sony doesn't, Xbox is RIP'd

If sony does it too then fuck this industry
The Sony fanboys are at full throttle right now. This is like their dream rumor, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt, the same thing Sony fans should be doing when the new Xbox is revealed.

J10

Banned
Don't really get what the big deal about not being able to use second hand games is? The most annoying thing is going to be being unable to sell games I no longer want.

LOL You realize the games you don't want can only get traded because they can be bought second hand, right?

Except that there were troll sites that gave it a 2.0 and such, something the other games didn't suffer.

We here in the industry like to call this the Toy Story 3 Effect.

Doesn't effect me at all. Never bought games second hand and I doubt I ever will. Whenever I play I'm online, so that doesn't matter either.

Likewise. Most of my gaming buddies are online at this point and don't buy much gaming stuff beyond Smash Bros. and Halo in the first place.

Other than the obvious hardware improvements the only major things I'm rooting for with the NextBox are better integration/file sharing with peripherals (so I'm not stuck transferring all my music to disc, ripping it using the 360, tagging it, and so on) and being able to buy games for storage on the hard drive on the same date as release day.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Don't really get what the big deal about not being able to use second hand games is? The most annoying thing is going to be being unable to sell games I no longer want.

Well, more or less the fact that you couldn't borrow games from your friends, rent games, take Halo to your friends place, etc.

I don't see it happening, I see them pushing digital versions more though.

This rumor is actually good news for me, if true. With Halo gone to shit I no longer have a reason to own a Microsoft console (assuming SONY isn't doing the same nonsense). Everything else I play is multiplatform, so whatever.

See the gaming section, Sony has been working on non-used tech as well.

J10

Banned
This rumor is actually good news for me, if true. With Halo gone to shit I no longer have a reason to own a Microsoft console (assuming SONY isn't doing the same nonsense). Everything else I play is multiplatform, so whatever.

Talents

Banned
Wow, just thought of something. What happens if your console breaks and you have to get a new one, that would require you to purchase all your games again because you would be using a different console...

Moa

Wow, just thought of something. What happens if your console breaks and you have to get a new one, that would require you to purchase all your games again because you would be using a different console...

I'd assume if it breaks, and it gets sent away for repair via Microsoft, there will be exceptions.

Does anyone know why that says Blah?

Overdoziz

Banned
Wow, what if your games are linked to your account...

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I don't play Halo 4 because it's not the Halo I grew to love. If they bring that Halo back I will return. That's a population increase. Many others feel the way I do.

"Many." I'm sorry, I've seen the populations for MLG, for classic, for Pro. Even in their flawed states, if these "many" people were going to be brought back- those playlist population numbers would be something remotely higher than abysmal.

"Many" more likely means the loudest voices on the internet- and f us all if the world was actually driven by those decisions.

The community does not care about population numbers that is something for Microsoft and 343i to worry about what they do care about is having a game they want to play and that is clearly not Reach or Halo 4. We have no cause to advance in reality the people lobbying for old halo will be ignored and 343i will "take in" community feedback and then produce the Halo they want to produce. They have spoken little to nothing about the back lash from fans and acknowledgement of the issues is something I doubt we will ever get.
All we want is a title we can play competitively with a reduced feature set and no bullshit getting in the way. Population is a clear indication that the changes 343i made did not improve halo to a level that people wanted to play.

Whole lot of talking about things the community doesn't care about then. I'm tired of seeing population comparisons to H3. It is a completely different landscape. It's more likely Halo lost numbers because it wasn't casual enough, because the learning curve was too steep for most. Old Halo is fine- but I wish people would stop using population numbers as some sort of metric of how "pro" it is. If you get old Halo- you better be content with your lobby of 1000 searching 20m for a game.

Speaking of competitive, I love reading the forums talking about how COD gets competitive now. Wake up. It's the god damn Arena. Remember that shit that everyone hated? It's awesome now. And by the streams I've seen, the population numbers suck there too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wow, what if someone gets banned from the service so they make a new account?

Inb4 was their fault they got banned

Well, your spoiler is right. It actually makes bans mean something. Banned in Halo 4? Now you have to go buy the entire game again. Maybe next time you won't be a dick.

This whole thing is going to be interesting. It's going to have to be handled very carefully if it does happen.

Well, your spoiler is right. It actually makes bans mean something. Banned in Halo 4? Now you have to go buy the entire game again. Maybe next time you won't be a dick.

This whole thing is going to be interesting. It's going to have to be handled very carefully if it does happen.
What if your account gets hacked? then you lose all your games.

What if you internet service goes out?

What if you don't have internet connection for the box period, like tens of millions of 360 owners

guess you just gotta hold dat shit, buy a Wii-U lil bitch.

Fotos

As long as you're using the same account you can just go to your downloads and re-download them. One of my friends does that with our other friends account. If he wants a game that our other friend has downloaded to his Xbox he just signs into his account and downloads it. Except that every time he does that he has to sign the other person in to start the game. But he can sign it out once he gets in. Allowing them both to play the same downloaded game at the same time.

Wow, what if someone gets banned from the service so they make a new account?

Inb4 was their fault they got banned

I've never heard of a case where Microsoft bans people from Live when they haven't done something stupid. There was that "gay" thing fiasco, but there were no permanents from that, just 1-3 day bans.

You really have to try to get anything past a week of being banned from Live.

And I love how everyone is giving Microsoft tips because of this 2/6/12 daily rumor.

Having to be online all the time is a horrible idea. MS needs to figure out how to do digital distribution right (Hi, Steam!) on the xbox instead of trying to crush second hand sales.

Tawpgun

Having to be online all the time is a horrible idea. MS needs to figure out how to do digital distribution right (Hi, Steam!) on the xbox instead of trying to crush second hand sales.

Another thing they need to take from steam is gifting.

You should be able to gift MS points and games.

Another thing they need to take from steam is gifting.

You should be able to gift MS points and games.

And sales, day 1 releases, and preloading, among other things. MS is the kind of company that will release a game via Games On Demand two years after it came out and still charge $60 for it. As for MS points, they need to just get rid of them entirely.

EA sports, Painkiller, GTA, Quake (fuck quake 4), etc.

GTA? Those games change pretty dramatically with each iteration.

Steam has great sales, but a lot of that comes because they have competition from those second hand stores. Amazon, GMG, GameFly, Origin, GameStop, etc.

You do this shit, take competition out, charge whatever amount of money you want. You either buy it from us or you don't buy it at all, hold dat shit

Microsoft can easily do this for the games they publish. Charge it $10-$15 less digitally on the new Xbox only. Then $$$!

Top Bottom