• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

HTupolev

Haha, I'm not arguing the merits of ODSTs being better characters so far, just trying to rationalize the decision to not have ODSTs in-game. Why would ONI put ODSTs on a ship full of a million Spartan IVs? I thought it was said that a lot of the IVs are ex-ODSTs anyway.
Because you can put far more of them in a much smaller area of ship due to their drastically reduced equipment needs, at a much lower-per soldier cost, and send them to the battlefield with astronomically lower liability.

Why don't they use the remaining Spartan 2s and Spartan 3s on the most important ship. :(

The powers that be (Parangosky, and now Osman) that were involved in the creation of the SPARTAN IV program made the decision to only have consenting adults as Spartans, like the original Spartan I project (ORION). As such, these guys pretty much hate anything and everything involved with the Spartan IIs and IIIs, hence their arrest of Halsey. This mentality seems to be reflected on the rest of the UNSC (or, at least, the branch of the UNSCDF responsible for the IV program). This is why Captain Jackass was so douchey toward Chief, as officially, the IIs and IIIs are seen as a great mistake and a result of Halsey and company's "crimes" during the Human-Covenant war. This is hinted at during ONI's interrogation of Halsey. Even the Spartan IVs themselves are apprehensive of the whole thing, as shown by their view of Halsey as a war criminal (despite her work being responsible for the savior of the entire human race).

Because you can put far more of them in a much smaller area of ship due to their drastically reduced equipment needs, at a much lower-per soldier cost, and send them to the battlefield with astronomically lower liability.

Which is why there are infantry on the Infinity. The point of ODSTs was never to have them as regular cheap infantry. They are the Navy Seals. The best of the best class of non-Spartans. Now, since Spartan IVs can be anybody (like the ORION project) you have ODSTs replaced by the IVs. Before there was a limitation in that Spartans needed to be hand picked, and indoctrinated, etc, etc. Spartan IVs don't have that problem, they volunteer. Also worth noting is that Infinity isn't exactly supposed to be a warship (probably why Captain Del Rio wanted to leave so quickly). It has the best firepower out of all ships in the entire human fleet, yes, but it's purpose was always to be a lifeboat more than anything, and now a research vessel, it just happens to also serve as the training grounds of the Spartan IV program, commanded by Palmer on-ship. Similar to Reach for the Spartan II, and Onyx for the Spartan III.

2820771-web_preview.png

Still cannot unsee the Spartan on the left photobombing chief.

Why don't they use the remaining Spartan 2s and Spartan 3s on the most important ship. :(

something something "make Halo our own" something something

That whole dynamic between the Spartans and ODST's was phenomenal. Why wouldn't they take such an amazing opportunity and elaborate upon that in a game for the first time (for their first game it would've been a smart idea too).. not to mention The Arbiter ;\

I genuinely enjoy Exile CTF.

It's a good map when there's no tank, gauss and banshee on the map.

This should be the default version.

Wait till you have a bad team and/or the enemies are smart with both Ghosts.

Just played some more Halo 4 multiplayer.

It really doesn't feel like Halo at all.

Play Doubles. Feels more like Halo.

Initially team slayer, the big team slayer which morphed into capture the flag.

Felt like there was no map control whatsoever. I enjoyed my time with it, but just felt a bit hollow.

Edit: I want my fleur de lis :(

Overdoziz

Banned
Oh no, ONI allowed you to abduct a couple of hundred kids so you could save the entire human race a dozen times over, you are such a terrible person!

Oh no, ONI allowed you to abduct a couple of hundred kids so you could save the entire human race a dozen times over, you are such a terrible person!

It sounds ridiculous, yes, but these are very power people within the human political spectrum. Osman (head of ONI) was supposed to be a Spartan II, and was actually abducted by Halsey like the rest of them. However, she didn't get through the augmentation process for some reason or another despite her being the first of the entire class to volunteer, so was put in to ONI, instead. I can see her having a personal vendetta against Halsey, and as such, the Spartan IIs as well. Pretty sure she also helped the Sangheilli who were against the Arbiter at some point, too.

Parangosky was an old dog (I think she was like 100 years old when she died) who basically groomed Osman for her position.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The speed boost on Doubles Flag is a little wonky, I'll admit. However, I will say that with evenly matched teams, shit like in that video won't really happen. I'll just say that that was not Kevin Franklin's doing and isn't part of Infinity CTF at all.

CyReN

The speed boost on Doubles Flag is a little wonky, I'll admit. However, I will say that with evenly matched teams, shit like in that video won't really happen. I'll just say that that was not Kevin Franklin's doing and isn't part of Infinity CTF at all.

Then who is so we can tell them to stop.

check our secret bunker house home btw, you'll get the reference.

TCKaos

Are ODST's even in existence anymore? Seems like they've been retconned..

From a fictional standpoint? There's no way to launch ODSTs on to Requiem. You'd hit the giant shell on the outside.

From a design standpoint? The SIVs using Recruit armor fill the void perfectly.

From a fictional standpoint? There's no way to launch ODSTs on to Requiem. You'd hit the giant shell on the outside.

...I never even thought about that. Unless the Infinity was right in the center (so dry-humping the Didact's Cryptum leaving itself completely vulnerable basically) there'd be no way to drop troops down. Huh. Guess 343 gets a pass on that one for this mission.

Real talk: if you crashed enough heavy gear into one concentrated part of a Halo (maybe something explosive) would it be enough to destroy it? Like, just spend a few days dropping empty drop pods on it from orbit?

J10

Banned

They can land in a Pelican or Longsword like any other soldier. They don't always have to be ejaculated at supersonic speed from the underbelly of a starship.

...I never even thought about that. Unless the Infinity was right in the center (so dry-humping the Didact's Cryptum leaving itself completely vulnerable basically) there'd be no way to drop troops down. Huh. Guess 343 gets a pass on that one for this mission.

Yeah its a good point. If you remove the fact that Pelicans and Albatross exist it might even be valid.

ODST's have been placed into action via Dropship about 80% of the time we have seen them.

Only Drops I can think of Are Delta Halo and Mombasa Slipspace

DeadNames

Banned
i thought he called it a 1 shot DMR, either way he was wrong

I remember he said it was a 3 shot. Hot damn those reactions.

Anyways, if Throwdown (lol) is anything like Doubles Pro, that will be the only playlist I play.

Can't wait for throwdown Oddball, CTF, Hill, and Extraction!

Top Bottom