• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Are there no good Warlock remakes in Ravine? Seems better option than Rail.

I think we actually did play a couple good remakes. I believe one was a Wizard remake actually that was kind of small, good for 2v2. But then there was a larger one that would be good for 4v4. The latter being a Warlock remake I think.

I haven't played Rail yet, I don't think. I'm kind of excited to now. I'm a sucker for vertical maps.

It's one of the best maps in Halo 4 simply by virtue of its small size. They're an extremely rare breed in Halo these days unfortunately.

It's also got an OS and sniper on a two minute timer. Keeps a nice forward momentum for the maps gameplay (on dubs pro at least). I'd probably reduce the snipers clip by 4 but that's nitpicking.

Was simplex or any of the other good Forge maps implemented into Infinity Slayer? I haven't seen them if they have.

Exile is a wonderful map and a great place for friends.

It needs drastic changes to initial spawns and vehicles on map before I make that concession. Also, its framerate issues are quite prohibitive. I should note that I've yet to play CTF on it, which is the one gametype (assuming fixed vehicles) that I could get behind for that map.

You're on thin ice, fu...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Care to paraphrase?
Communities literally ripping eachother apart over their mistakes and stuff in the game, knowing the Halo franchise better than them, are a vocal subset of the community at the end of the day and must balance the storytelling etc. for everyone they appeal to, earning their trust is a long-term process and won't come quick, balancing subjectivity across the entire fanbase, and much more. I'd say it's interesting to watch if you care about Halo. They even joked about the Boltshot being OP.

Kinda multitasking but I took issue with one thing they said earlier that just slipped my mind, otherwise, they're pretty on the money with what they're talking about thus far.

EDIT: Currently talking about how the community wants everything to stay the same but also wants it to go forward.

Communities literally ripping eachother apart over their mistakes and stuff in the game, knowing the Halo franchise better than them, are a vocal subset of the community at the end of the day and must balance the storytelling etc. for everyone they appeal to, earning their trust is a long-term process and won't come quick, balancing subjectivity across the entire fanbase, and much more. I'd say it's interesting to watch if you care about Halo. They even joked about the Boltshot being OP.

Kinda multitasking but I took issue with one thing they said earlier that just slipped my mind, otherwise, they're pretty on the money with what they're talking about thus far.

EDIT: Currently talking about how the community wants everything to stay the same but also wants it to go forward.

That seems pretty apt, to be honest.

CyReN

It's spot on for most of it, but for communities being at each other throats for issues. Pretty sure at this point everyone disliked the playlist rotation (that seems to be getting fixed) and flinch from what I've seen.

DeadNames

Banned
It's spot on for most of it, but for communities being at each other throats for issues. Pretty sure at this point everyone disliked the playlist rotation (that seems to be getting fixed) and flinch from what I've seen.

Same with ordnance and the boltshot.

The version of Exile that's in the CTF playlist is what it should have been to begin with. Shame that it couldn't have been more symmetrical especially with the bases, but it's still one of the better maps in the game.

Watching the keynote with Frank and Kiki, and came across something at about the 14 minute mark that I really don't like if I'm interpreting this correctly.

Going to paraphrase Frank here with my interpretation, if you read this Frank, feel free to correct/elaborate:

Frank is talking about the connection between the books and games, and specifically about the Didact, and what he's basically saying is that book readers get to fully realize the character, and people that don't get enough information to "know that he's the bad guy and you want to stop him". Leaving meaningful narrative out of the game (same thing with the Didact's story being hidden away in Terminals) is a damn shame, and I think a huge mistake. Yes, Halo is a transmedia IP, but the core is the video games, and you shouldn't gimp or leave out interesting narrative or multidimensional characters because there are books out there.

Rail and Scythe are the best maps in the game imo, with new Haven right behind. Exile sucks with heavy vehicles on it, and it only ok without them.

also isn't the sniper on Rail on a 2 min 30 second respawn? That's a decent a mount of time. I think overshield could go to 2 minutes respawn instead of 90 seconds though

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Rail and Scythe are the best maps in the game imo, with new Haven right behind. Exile sucks with heavy vehicles on it, and it only ok without them.

also isn't the sniper on Rail on a 2 min 30 second respawn? That's a decent a mount of time. I think overshield could go to 2 minutes respawn instead of 90 seconds though

The stock version of that map had Overshield every 60 seconds, Railgun every 90 seconds and then Sniper every 2 minutes. We eventually increased the timer for each and then got rid of the Railgun. I think it plays great.

Toa TAK

Banned
Leaving meaningful narrative out of the game (same thing with the Didact's story being hidden away in Terminals) is a damn shame, and I think a huge mistake. Yes, Halo is a transmedia IP, but the core is the video games, and you shouldn't gimp or leave out interesting narrative or multidimensional characters because there are books out there.

I agree. The issue with the Didact in 4 was that he seemed completely 1-Diemensional, as opposed to the books, where you wonder how the hell he became so "evil" as he was portrayed in the game.

Bungie was also guilty of keeping characterization out of their games (aka Reach). I get that you feel the need to keep things short, but don't compromise the story and its characters by doing so.

Woorloog

Banned
I agree. The issue with the Didact in 4 was that he seemed completely 1-Diemensional, as opposed to the books, where you wonder how the hell he became so "evil" as he was portrayed in the game.

Bungie was also guilty of keeping characterization out of their games (aka Reach). I get that you feel the need to keep things short, but don't compromise the story and its characters by doing so.

All Bungie's Halos but Halo 2 are guilty of this.
Most games are guilty of this.

Personally i wouldn't mind having considerably more cutscenes and longer ones, if that allows better characterization, more exposition etc. People don't care story will still skip over them (if possible), no matter how long.

Yes move forward with features and graphics and netcode and framerate and stay the same GAME.

N some of the community does know Halo better than them. Balance this.

Yes, although Reach was a bit different because it was an intentional "boots in the mud" direction where you were following soldiers simply trying to do their job, and that you wouldn't know what they didn't know or didn't share with others and ask the audience to by into that. That takes place from the script to how it was shot (all shots in the game compatible with someone actually standing there with a camera or some other camera). Reach delivers on that vision, but players understandably wanted more characterization.

-----------

Finished the keynote, and Frank and Kiki (Frank closed with this) talked a lot about open two-way communication with their community. I think this is something that they have lots of room to improve upon.

The stock version of that map had Overshield every 60 seconds, Railgun every 90 seconds and then Sniper every 2 minutes. We eventually increased the timer for each and then got rid of the Railgun. I think it plays great.
Yeah overshield seems to come up constantly even at 90 seconds, I can't imagine 60 seconds. It makes for pretty good flow though since you have to rush to overshield so often.

I think if you put ramps to inner ring from sniper door it would be pretty neat too

Toa TAK

Banned

Personally i wouldn't mind having considerably more cutscenes and longer ones, if that allows better characterization, more exposition etc. People don't care story will still skip over them (if possible), no matter how long.

Exactly. Most people just skip the 30 second cutscenes anyways. The people who care will sit through the cutscene no matter the length.

Toa TAK

Banned
Reach delivers on that vision, but player understandably wanted more characterization.

-----------

Finished the keynote, and Frank and Kiki (Frank closed with this) talked a lot about open two-way communication with their community. I think this is something that they have lots of room to improve upon.

I remember something (don't quote me on this) that there was supposed to be more between Jorge and that girl he saves in W.C. But that got cut. It also would've been nice to see more between Jorge and Emile, Carter and Kat, and Jun and everyone else. Noble Team, I think, should get another chance to be explored, book or something...

I just finished the Keynote as well and I agree with the notion that they could communicate with us a little bit better. I think they're trying, but they have ways to go. It's hard to do right, so only time will tell whether or not they'll be successful with this.

I remember something (don't quote me on this) that there was supposed to be more between Jorge and that girl he saves in W.C. But that got cut. It also would've been nice to see more between Jorge and Emile, Carter and Kat, and Jun and everyone else. Noble Team, I think, should get another chance to be explored, book or something...

I just finished the Keynote as well and I agree with the notion that they could communicate with us a little bit better. I think they're trying, but they have ways to go. It's hard to do right, so only time will tell whether or not they'll be successful with this.

you know Jorge was the most humanized spartan in Noble team considering He is a S-II, I really liked how Noble team was portraited in Spartan WIll Rise video but those scenes never made it to the final game.

Overdoziz

Banned
or if they're AFK
There's so much basic stuff missing in Halo for whatever reason it's pretty frustrating at times. Simple audio options, TV safe zone adjuster, Y-Axis Sensitivity setting, auto-kick for suicides, AFK and possibly betrayals. I seriously don't understand how stuff like that can be missing from a game in a multi-million dollar franchise.

Gui_PT

And yet everyone complains about Max Payne 3's cutscenes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Watching the keynote with Frank and Kiki, and came across something at about the 14 minute mark that I really don't like if I'm interpreting this correctly.

Going to paraphrase Frank here with my interpretation, if you read this Frank, feel free to correct/elaborate:

Frank is talking about the connection between the books and games, and specifically about the Didact, and what he's basically saying is that book readers get to fully realize the character, and people that don't get enough information to "know that he's the bad guy and you want to stop him". Leaving meaningful narrative out of the game (same thing with the Didact's story being hidden away in Terminals) is a damn shame, and I think a huge mistake. Yes, Halo is a transmedia IP, but the core is the video games, and you shouldn't gimp or leave out interesting narrative or multidimensional characters because there are books out there.
This reminded me of the only thing I took offense to; their stance that a player shouldn't have to access anything besides the game itself to get the full picture the Halo 4 narrative provides. And I feel they haven't done that with the terminals on Waypoint. If only SOME of that info wasn't in terminals, the game would be much better because of it. I'm probably in the minority of people who's played the campaign multiple times now, but it really does stand well on it's own otherwise, and preserves much of the mystique Halo 1 had. Just in the context of the books and all the other games, it kind of fares worse because people are itching for more and more closure beyond what is sufficiently given.

Everything else Frankie and Kiki said was true to be honest.

EDIT: They also gave pretty good justification why "hiring juices" would be a terrible idea, as much as his heart is in the right place for the core and competitive.

Karl2177

If somebody with a capture card could do me a favor, it would be much appreciated. That would be to take screen caps of all of the support and tactical mod icons as well as the Halo 4 AAs in the start menu. If you could do so and send me a PM with the links to the images on imgur or minus, it would be fantastic.

CHANGE IT BACK. CHANGE IT BACK.

RPJ as been done for 8 days. Plus, I figured I'd show my love for the second worst addition to the Halo series. I'm also working on getting Illustrator files for the AAs, so this was a test of the first one I did.

Computron

If somebody with a capture card could do me a favor, it would be much appreciated. That would be to take screen caps of all of the support and tactical mod icons as well as the Halo 4 AAs in the start menu. If you could do so and send me a PM with the links to the images on imgur or minus, it would be fantastic.

CHANGE IT BACK. CHANGE IT BACK.

Make a Camo AA avatar and we should all wear it with a big fat caution sign over it. It'll be like a HaloGAF protest lol

We must unite!

Moa

Why are the Spartans amazed by the Elite's camo technology?

As far as I can tell, whatever they are using in War Games isn't real, just a replica.

It is a different feel entirely when you get the real thing - same goes why he was so amazed with the Energy Sword.

EDIT: As far as we know, Majestic only arrived aboard the Infinity minutes before it jumped into slipspace for Requiem, I doubt there were any War Games at that time, and no War Games have taken place since the jump.

Of course, I'm just speculating.

Top Bottom