• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Tawpgun

People make me giggle... It doesn't drastically reduce skill... It shifts the importance of very specific skills. If people are going to go to the trouble of creating cartoon graphics they should at least understand the words they are going to use to try and make their point.

If one is going to argue which skill sets make a better competitive shooter... Cool, but his ultimate statement is silly.

Yeah its a generalizing statement but I'd agree with it. The CoD vs Halo debate already touched upon this. In CoD, reflexes and a fast trigger finger are king. Aiming is second nature.

In Halo, aim is king. But you also have to factor in strafe to throw off enemy fire and be able to control your own. Reflexes are something that HELP in a halo firefight but don't decide the battle.

My main reasoning isn't a skill one though. I like shooters with mobility. ADS limits mobility.

Madness

Wow that tweet by Dan is just meh... If you clearly don't understand the mechanic or its implications, don't comment and generalize negatively against those who do.

I always wondered where the hate came from, now I know. I still think he's a really nice guy, but damn.

heckfu

Banned
Wow that tweet by Dan is just meh... If you clearly don't understand the mechanic or its implications, don't comment and generalize negatively against those who do.

I always wondered where the hate came from, now I know. I still think he's a really nice guy, but damn.

Nah, he's entitled to his opinions and he has a better working knowledge than most but he's only RTing people who agree with him ._________.

Proelite

I had a dream last night about Halo 5. It was a mega-success hit.

Here were some things I could remember.

You can double jump because of thrusters.
You can grab onto ledges and pull yourself up if you don't make a jump. Like Titan Fall.
Armor abilities were either limited or removed.

I played it for 6 hours straight in my sleep.

barf.gif

Madness

Did Frank or anyone from 343 ever comment on their feelings regarding the low score from the EGM guy who wanted ADS in Halo?

Madness

Speedy's video is being used as a prime example of how Avatars were a gold mine for MS on a gaming side discussion lol.

Damn $110 on an avatar Speedy. I think I spent like 240 points total when I bought some shoes for the character when it was new, didn't even care about avatars afterwards and I'm glad they're gone.

Speedy's video is being used as a prime example of how Avatars were a gold mine for MS on a gaming side discussion lol.

Damn $110 on an avatar Speedy. I think I spent like 240 points total when I bought some shoes for the character when it was new, didn't even care about avatars afterwards and I'm glad they're gone.
One hundred and... god dammit Speedy what is wrong with you.

The only avatar thing I remember buying was the Perfect Agent outfit, and I got those points for free. I made my avatar Joanna Dark because that was about the only way I could tolerate looking at it every time I booted up my 360 into NXE with those soulless abominations placed front and center at the time.

Ghazi

lmao I have spent $0 on my Avatar.

For teh win!

I buy avatar stuff if I have that awkward <200 points left over

I can't deny that I've been tempted to do this before, luckily I wised up and spent them on other cosmetic things for games (Street Fighter and Marvel alt costumes and a CoD skin) that would be seen more than my stupid avatar.

Tawpgun

Greenskull can't be serious.

The most bullshit thing is he said "I don't get why people complain about ADS"

People responded with the obvious reasons why and he just goes

"Well ADS doesn't mean it HAAASSS to slow the player down, thats the dev's choice, I know most games do it but but but... im saying they don't have to GOSH."

Like completely switching what he was saying.

Yea Halo aint about scoping downsight. Its about strafing left and right with great aim and out BRing your opponent and yelling into the mic "GSO"

Without that happening theres no reason to play Halo. Everyone will go play better games.

Enfinit

someone should send him that picture tawpgun posted as well as the ADS post hired noobs made before Halo 4 came out.

I did. Dan's actually a cool guy in real life, but sometimes arguing with him makes me want to slam my head into my desk. I tried and tried and tried, and I couldn't get him to budge on his point. Go read the conversation I had with him and please tell me if any of the points I made were incorrect or didn't relate to the subject matter.

And Dan, if you're reading this, the only thing that pisses me off is when you retweet your followers that agree with you mid-argument (that has yet to read the entire argument). We all don't have the luxury of 7,000 twitter followers to retweet and throw at the people we're arguing with.

willow ve

I had a dream last night about Halo 5. It was a mega-success hit.

Here were some things I could remember.

You can double jump because of thrusters.
You can grab onto ledges and pull yourself up if you don't make a jump. Like Titan Fall.
Armor abilities were either limited or removed.

I played it for 6 hours straight in my sleep.
Halo 5 to launch with Sword Base remake as only playable 4v4 space. All other maps dedicated for invasion and Big Team Slayer.

TheOddOne

Deathmatch Map Design: The Architecture of Flow
Ask either 343 or Respawn the first thing they think about when designing a multiplayer map, and they'll tell you the same thing. No map is designed in isolation. No one map can be all things to all players. Variety is vital. "You know that you're going to have multiple maps, so you want to make sure that the assortment of maps covers all different gameplay types based on the modes, objective types, or the weapon sets and vehicles that you have," says Kynan Pearson, lead multiplayer level designer at 343.

In the case of a Halo title, designers will ask themselves if a map should be large or small, the size influencing the ideal number of players, the engagement distances and the weapons best suited to them, and the suitability of vehicles.

As fundamental is the choice between so-called symmetric maps and asymmetric maps. Symmetric maps tend to have either mirror or rotational symmetry about their center, with two opposing teams spawning at opposite ends presented with essentially the same landscape before them. Such maps are particularly suited to end-to-end objective-based game modes such as capture the flag, Pearson explains, affording neither side an advantage due to superior elevation or cover.

Asymmetric maps by their very nature allow for a greater diversity in topography, which lends the maps to other sorts of objective based games that eschew team bases in favor of designated positions to be captured and held. Depending on game mode, these positions may number from one to many, may remain static or change location, or any permutation thereof.
"When it's on paper it's cheap and easy to riff on and iterate," explains Mike Clopper, lead level designer at Certain Affinity, who collaborated with 343 in the making of Halo 4. "If you start out with an initial basic line drawing, and that's really concentrating on the flow of the map and the main spaces we want to facilitate conflict in. Where are these great clashes going to happen? What are the directions that people are going to take to make those things happen?"

t's on paper that the flow of a map emerges. Flow. Halo 4's designers describe it as an invisible force continually impelling the player onward, and it's a word that recurs again and again in conversation with them. "We tend to describe things based on the idea that the player is a camera, and what the camera sees and what the camera can perceive just running forward without any additional information lets you know where you're able to go," says Pearson.
Similarly, Halo 4's designers keep a watchful eye on distance. "We definitely have standards for the size than something can be and the time it takes from one corner of a map to the other, or one objective sight to the other," says Pearson. "It's to make sure we're tuning the experience to keep the time-to-death down, or making sure that your time-to-engagement is enough to give you a breather between dying, but not so long that you're hunting through the map and not finding people." Again, game mechanics have a direct bearing. In Halo 3, sprinting was impossible. In Halo: Reach, sprinting was a selectable armor ability. In Halo 4, everyone's at it, and the maps have grown to compensate.

Fundamentally, though, 343 and Certain Affinity simply want to know if maps are fun or not. "Honestly, initially, there aren't a lot of performance metrics we're really looking for," says Clopper. "It's very hard to describe, but when you're in a play-test room and people are moving around a map and having an amazing time there's a sense of fun you can feel in the room. People are yelling, people are having a great time. They're shooting their coworkers. These amazing battles are happening, and that's the great thing about Halo: crazy stuff can happen with the physics."

Further into the development process, Halo 4's developers adopt a more measured approach. "You tend to use the metrics based on playtests to refine the map and define the areas that might have been weaker into more powerful positions," says Pearson. "You never want to have a map that has dead ends or areas of the map that go unutilized, because then it's wasted space and it's not worth the effort of creation. Those tend to get whittled down and worked out so that you start prioritizing areas that get less play to make them just as usable and just as versatile."

Top Bottom