• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

A couple of posts about the Grenade Launcher, seemingly out of nowhere, a call to arms for everyone to market the, "Power of the Cloud and how it is the best thing to happen to Halo."

You're one strange bird Ozzy.

I actually had to pass the Halysis "randomly interject shit" algorithm onto him to cleanse myself during The Great Fanwank Era of 2013.

But seriously, what the fuck ozzy? That post doesn't have any contextual relevance pertaining to either active GAF thread. Maybe his phone's had spotty internet for a week or two and just now decided to post?

It's a combined post from the usual 2 threads plus recent pop up threads and the X1 thread. Yes I was a bit random, apologises. I should have used GAF and not just HaloGAF, my bad.

I guess I still have my back up from the wider azure/dedis lack of understanding or insight when looking at the wider threads.

I got thrown by the post asking if a host is still present in dedis.

Ranting aside it is still hands down the best thing to happen closely followed by the GC tourney.

Booshka

It's a combined post from the usual 2 threads plus recent pop up threads and the X1 thread. Yes I was a bit random, apologises. I should have used GAF and not just HaloGAF, my bad.

I guess I still have my back up from the wider azure/dedis lack of understanding or insight when looking at the wider threads.

I got thrown by the post asking if a host is still present in dedis.
You need to get knocked up side the head to turn off "PR Mode." Your wires are all crossed up, time to go back to Redmond for a tune-up. People are starting to get suspicious.

You need to get knocked up side the head to turn off "PR Mode." Your wires are all crossed up, time to go back to Redmond for a tune-up. People are starting to get suspicious.

LOL, I'm just excited about Sydney and Melbourne Azure datacenters for next gen Halo. Any international players who have been suffering under USA host for the last 10 years get it.

It's rampancy setting in, uh oh.

The general lack of understanding regarding regional dedi servers and the X1/azure data pipes here is just plain scary. Fuck me it is hands the best thing to ever happen to Halo.

To those who do get it please kindly help educate your HaloGAF brethren from now until launch.

zoojoo alt confirmed?

But seriously, ozzy, as cool dedis is, there are more pressing problems right now, like what texture to assign Wahrer's Gravity gauntlet. #Kappa

TCKaos

What blows my mind is why they couldn't just include both as the same gun.

Press RT: Sticky det
Hold RT: Grenade launcher shot with EMP functionality

Or they could have expanded the Promethean sandbox. No other human weapon behaves like the Sticky Detonator or the Railgun - just make them alien weapons.

Did anyone getting the feeling from Frankie's competitive interview that the Halo 4 engine is now a dead end version branch?

To me it seemed like the next gen engine has been a parallel development and where all the new tech investment has gone.

It seems like Halo 4/next gen might have been split off a unified initial engine update and hence why features/legacy tech had issues.

I wish developers would talk about this side of development more often and more candidly, even post game launch/sustain.

nillapuddin

So I think Ive nailed down the images I want for my custom covers.
jkRKA3el.jpg
xPkyZRal.jpg
jACWbtZl.jpg
OlxNZZml.jpg
hw3Hgfil.jpg
GDPK5bCl.jpg
FBPmMc2l.jpg
n1bDIzhl.jpg
1BNXGurl.jpg
FmQHnqQl.jpg

This whole thing started because my games are now setup in plain sight, and this is driving me crazy

I know the left image for CE is from anniversary, shut up, I like it

Or they could have expanded the Promethean sandbox. No other human weapon behaves like the Sticky Detonator or the Railgun - just make them alien weapons.

I'm sure so many design docs got it burned into everyone's mind, but I had a "minor explosives" category with one weapon per faction in the old Halysis days. Railgun got a slight buff, the Concussion Rifle got scrapped in favor of a weaker, map movement-oriented Fuel Rod Gun / Halo 2 Brute Shot combo, and the Grenade Launcher / Sticky Det were combined / reskinned into a BFG Promethean revolver called the Pulsebuster.

Did anyone getting the feeling from Frankie's competitive interview that the Halo 4 engine is now a dead end version branch?

To me it seemed like the next gen engine has been a parallel development and where all the new tech investment has gone.

It seems like Halo 4/next gen might have been split off a unified initial engine update and hence why features/legacy tech had issues.

I wish developers would talk about this side of development more often and more candidly, even post game launch/sustain.

That doesn't exactly inspire confidence, either way. It makes me think they did what they could with the Blam! engine to fit their vision, and now we'll have perks and ordnance and whatnot as an absolute, unavoidable forefront in this new engine.

LOL, I'm just excited about Sydney and Melbourne Azure datacenters for next gen Halo. Any international players who have been suffering under USA host for the last 10 years get it.

You guys (and Euro/Asia/etc) do realize that the connection is shit for everyone involved when this occurs, right? Not just you? Complaint gets old fast. We don't want to play against you either, even when we get host. Shit, even having 1 Mexican (not even the host) in the game shits up the connection even if the rest of us are in the states. Imagine how much we love you guys when you pop up.

We have to deal with the same laggy crap as you when we match up.

At least you're not like the New Zealanders who think every last one of them has to put NZ somewhere in their gamertag.

I absolutely got that feeling.

Which brings us back to what do they do when they can't modify the engine anymore, is there a cap to what you can do with the engine?

It seems like every installment, we get more comments on how the engine can tend to get in the way.

You guys (and Euro/Asia/etc) do realize that the connection is shit for everyone involved when this occurs, right? Not just you? Complaint gets old fast. We don't want to play against you either, even when we get host. Shit, even having 1 Mexican (not even the host) in the game shits up the connection even if the rest of us are in the states. Imagine how much we love you guys when you pop up.

We have to deal with the same laggy crap as you when we match up.

At least you're not like the New Zealanders who think every last one of them has to put NZ somewhere in their gamertag.

Sure to an extent, its not ideal for all involved. Again dedis with direct pipes is great for everyone, if they have Datacentre(s) in their country of course. AssumIng 4v4 a US host game with 2 Aussies and 1 European that's 5 yanks who have solid gaming but see 3 latency affected players in game. In reverse we 3 internationals not only have 5 yanks that eat bullets, have godly grenades/melees and pickup weapons from behind us etc but we also have 1 European with poor performance.

The game mechanics and factors are bad for all but much worse for internationals. Of course if an Aussie is lucky enough to pull host the game sucks for yanks. Worse still is 1-2 international quitters at least leaves a playable game, when Aussie pull host often all the yanks just quit out.

It sucks for everyone but it's high time we Aussies got locally hosted games on the regular, finally next gen.

Also I'm not expecting a Halo 4 version on X1 due to servers and architecture differences.

That doesn't exactly inspire confidence, either way. It makes me think they did what they could with the Blam! engine to fit their vision, and now we'll have perks and ordnance and whatnot as an absolute, unavoidable forefront in this new engine.

I would get ready for similar to current Halo 4 matchmaking but with better playlist seperation rather than vote variants. Seems like the logical launch line up for Halo X1.

Player toggles would be so much better. Choose an overall playlist and your personal toggles filter out maps or settings you don't want to play. From there the vote variants are dynamically tailored to the matched players/teams.

I absolutely got that feeling.

Which brings us back to what do they do when they can't modify the engine anymore, is there a cap to what you can do with the engine?

It seems like every installment, we get more comments on how the engine can tend to get in the way.

Theoretically there is no cap, in practice though performance and bugs/glitches between sub-systems becomes messier the more you shoehorn in. Generally every few versions major rewrites or plugins/outsourced systems are overhauled.

I doubt they want to do a complete new development from scratch as the want to keep "that Halo feel" in engine. I would expect the next gen engine has been redeveloped more than any previous Halo engine. The Halo 4 experience would be invaluable for next gen redevelopment.

FyreWulff

Section 8 Prejudice had an interesting take on it, although it only really works for how it plays - you could check off which objectives you preferred in your settings menu. The server would then compare everyone's preferences and weight the appearance of objectives based off everyone's preference.

So if everyone in the game (32 player games) had 'Convoy' unchecked, it would be very rare to ever see a Convoy appear on the battlefield to be protected.

Section 8 Prejudice had an interesting take on it, although it only really works for how it plays - you could check off which objectives you preferred in your settings menu. The server would then compare everyone's preferences and weight the appearance of objectives based off everyone's preference.

So if everyone in the game (32 player games) had 'Convoy' unchecked, it would be very rare to ever see a Convoy appear on the battlefield to be protected.

That sounds real nice, with them touting cloud so much these types of dynamic systems improve gamer satisfaction, create closer game results and reduce developer sustain. More of this next gen please. I'll have to checkout the demo for Section 8, thanks.

TheOddOne

One thing I do hope is that all the actual content is on disk and accessible through the game and not some third-party software. Hopefully Bluray will help with that.

FyreWulff

That sounds real nice, with them touting cloud so much these types of dynamic systems improve gamer satisfaction, create closer game results and reduce developer sustain. More of this next gen. I'll have to checkout the demo for Section 8, thanks.

The XBLA version allows you to play multiplayer for free for 30 or 60 minutes. I think it's 30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmcefNcfUg

It's the game where you spawn by dropping in like an ODST.. you can also order stuff like turrets and AA guns and vehicles that come from the sky.

Sidenote: you can turn the entire HUD off during gameplay if you want. But you can also just turn off separate components of the HUD.

It's the game where you spawn by dropping in like an ODST.. you can also order stuff like turrets and AA guns and vehicles that come from the sky.

Sidenote: you can turn the entire HUD off during gameplay if you want. But you can also just turn off separate components of the HUD.

This I like! I'd love to see the individual on/off for HUD elements. It would be amazing to enabled docking or moving each HUD element too. Bonus for colour hues and opacity sliders as well.

Hey 343i after Halo 4 reaches end of sustain you should realease your internal development wish list in a ViDoc. It would be hella interesting.

daedalius

Ugh trying to finish rage finally.

The aiming and controls in that game are just so janky. Hurts my entire experience.

I think the halo engine is getting pretty long in the tooth at this point, I have no idea what they should do.

I was just thinking about this Gaf, Do you believe that Jul M'dama knew Dr. Halsey would be transfered aboard the Infinity?

He outsmarted the Infinity Crew and sent Requiem to its demise then got away with half the Janus Key and Halsey.

Fuchsdh

This I like! I'd love to see the individual on/off for HUD elements. It would be amazing to enabled docking or moving each HUD element too. Bonus for colour hues and opacity sliders as well.

Hey 343i after Halo 4 reaches end of sustain you should realease your internal development wish list in a ViDoc. It would be hella interesting.

I do wish we got a transparent look at the dev efforts like that. Not every wish can be fulfilled but seeing in a clear way what their goals are is really exciting. Why can't every day be a chance for reflection and moving forward?

Ghazi

I was just thinking about this Gaf, Do you believe that Jul M'dama knew Dr. Halsey would be transfered aboard the Infinity?

He outsmarted the Infinity Crew and sent Requiem to its demise then got away with half the Janus Key and Halsey.

Not an accomplishment, he probably knew.

Why is their just a button on Requiem that sends it flying into the sun

Notice the button was the Marathon symbol.

All ONI-dubbed "bungie scrubbers" are nodes shrouded in mystery throughout Forerunner technology, baring a logo, unbeknownst to them, that serves as the insignia of an ancient, rampant artificial intelligence. Following Durandal's insanity, he purged himself to start an offshoot timeline and planted seeds within the darkest confines of entropic death itself.

These seeds came to be known as the Precursors.

When the Precursor-built universe evolved into what it did in the year 2557, it still bore mild signs of its original creator's legacy. Were an outsider, an anomaly such as Jul 'Mdama's offshoot branch of homogenous Covenant ranks to tamper with said legacies, it would initiate contingency subroutines in an attempt to eliminate all traces of said meddlers - in this case, by entering emergency dyson sphere lockdown and hurling the planet into the sun.

bidguy

Banned
this talk about dedicated servers made me think about the servers of l4d1/2

unplayable to this day. unless youre american

seriously its better to play on local host connection instead of the valve servers

Cow

Halo 2 maps are so much more creative than Halo 4. I'd love to see 343 be a lot more bold with the maps in Halo 5.

FYC

Banned
this talk about dedicated servers made me think about the servers of l4d1/2

unplayable to this day. unless youre american

seriously its better to play on local host connection instead of the valve servers

L4D is incredible on PC with dedis. Some of the custom campaigns and maps are fantastic, and of course the crazy 16 vs 16 servers :lol

JDHarbs

Halo 2 maps are so much more creative than Halo 4. I'd love to see 343 be a lot more bold with the maps in Halo 5.
I think franchise fatigue has a lot to do with this. Each game has felt like it had less variety in maps than the last one.

Notice the button was the Marathon symbol.

All ONI-dubbed "bungie scrubbers" are nodes shrouded in mystery throughout Forerunner technology, baring a logo, unbeknownst to them, that serves as the insignia of an ancient, rampant artificial intelligence. Following Durandal's insanity, he purged himself to start an offshoot timeline and planted seeds within the darkest confines of entropic death itself.

These seeds came to be known as the Precursors.

When the Precursor-built universe evolved into what it did in the year 2557, it still bore mild signs of its original creator's legacy. Were an outsider, an anomaly such as Jul 'Mdama's offshoot branch of homogenous Covenant ranks to tamper with said legacies, it would initiate contingency subroutines in an attempt to eliminate all traces of said meddlers - in this case, by entering emergency dyson sphere lockdown and hurling the planet into the sun.

How do you come up with this stuff?

wwm0nkey

I just want switches back. Not the kind shown on the new map you have to shoot but Zanzibar, Containment, Relic and High Ground styled switches that you know....change things up and make the map interesting. Not "lol it takes your shields out" levels of stupid.

Battlefield and CoD are catching on with Levolution and whatever CoD calls it where you trigger big events which change up the flow. Bungie and 343 could have capitalized on that for BTB and objectives and been ahead of the game but nope.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I just want switches back. Not the kind shown on the new map you have to shoot but Zanzibar, Containment, Relic and High Ground styled switches that you know....change things up and make the map interesting. Not "lol it takes your shields out" levels of stupid.

Battlefield and CoD are catching on with Levolution and whatever CoD calls it where you trigger big events which change up the flow. Bungie and 343 could have capitalized on that for BTB and objectives and been ahead of the game but nope.

Yeah, Vertigo is a step in the right direction, but there needs to dynamic maps. Stuff like the Elephants on Sandtrap would be great, too.

wwm0nkey

Yeah, Vertigo is a step in the right direction, but there needs to dynamic maps. Stuff like the Elephants on Sandtrap would be great, too.
Vertigo's issue is taking out shields doesn't really change the map much and only influences behavior of players for a brief period of time. Its a step but 343 needs to look switches that do more and weapon placement that effects behavior and changes things up too.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Vertigo's issue is taking out shields doesn't really change the map much and only influences behavior of players for a brief period of time. Its a step but 343 needs to look switches that do more and weapon placement that effects behavior and changes things up too.

Yeah, I agree. It makes the game much more interesting.

I just got an idea for an interactive map element. What if there was a key power weapon or two (think bottom mid Rockets or maybe one Sniper per base) that operated on a consistent timer / resupply rate, but there was a button somewhere on the map to actually modify the ordnance? That is, a switch in a neutral location on the map that would use space magic to modify your (in-universe) ordnance commands and send down a different weapon? You'd still have to wait however long for the ordnance to return, but if you went up to the button and activated it you'd spawn, say, a Gravity Hammer instead of a Brute Shot or a Grenade Launcher instead of a Beam Rifle.

Nowise10

...I was thinking when I played on Vertigo, that what if that giant storm you saw brewing in the distance actually came over half way or 70% into the game and made it all stormy and foggy and lightning-y to change up the gamestyle.

I know it's too complicated to add in Halo :(

wwm0nkey

I just got an idea for an interactive map element. What if there was a key power weapon or two (think bottom mid Rockets or maybe one Sniper per base) that operated on a consistent timer / resupply rate, but there was a button somewhere on the map to actually modify the ordnance? That is, a switch in a neutral location on the map that would use space magic to modify your (in-universe) ordnance commands and send down a different weapon? You'd still have to wait however long for the ordnance to return, but if you went up to the button and activated it you'd spawn, say, a Gravity Hammer instead of a Brute Shot or a Grenade Launcher instead of a Beam Rifle.
Eh I would rather just have good standard weapon placement and have those weapons effect where people go to get them and get around when someone has it. I don't feel like cycling to a random weapon would influence player behavior too much and would take awhile to design a spot around 2 weapon focus points of different types of weapons.

blamite

I just hope they don't let CA make the maps next time around.

Looking at CA's map packs compared to the stuff 343 made for the second half of Spartan Ops, 343 can actually make some really beautiful environments and level designs when they want to, it's such a shame they made so little of the multiplayer.

What did I tell you about posts that start with I just got an idea!?

Top Bottom