• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Fracas

#fuckonami
Lol, it shows when people on your friends fail a heist in GTA V. Got a notification in game.
It'll be on consoles right? I live under a rock.
Yep. No PC/next gen versions have been announced yet, but there's no way they don't exist. Basically free money for Rockstar.

No armor abilities, no ordnance meter, no white text in the middle, "BR Slayer."

I don't get it. The game in fact does have everything from that GIF and what you post. You just have to choose the right playlist and get the right vote variant. Player toggles would create a far better matching system for player choice and matchmaking systems though.

1. Take Throwdown or Slayer Pro in a few playlists: no AA's, no personal ordnance, a mix of global ordnance or on map weapon spawns, no white text in centre of screen as you play more and it most certainly has BR starts in slayer and other gametypes too. Just look at Ghostayme/Bravo/Quinn/AGL/community cartographers. Halo 4 right now is all those things guys'n'gals. The hypocritical part is you want the whole game like that and berate 343i for trying the very same thing, one vision for the whole game. Now we should all realise catering to various groups/playlists is the only real way forward.

2. Ranked vs. Social is certainly missing and would create stricter matching on skill/teams while also getting rid of guests and with in game rank quitting would hopefully be reduced too.

wwm0nkey

Wait, so is GTAO $59.99, but works independently of 5 and is essentially Shitting Around Vinewood With Friends: The Game?
GTAO is free and comes with GTAV as it uses all the same assets and ect but with new missions and things being added all the time. On October 1st the 4th option on the character wheel on GTAV will be useable and when you select it you will be playing GTA Online with a custom character you make with 15 other people.

I think there is 400+ missions on launch.

I don't get it. The game in fact does have everything from that GIF and what you post. You just have to choose the right playlist and get the right vote variant. Player toggles would create a far better matching system for player choice and matchmaking systems though.

1. Take Throwdown or Slayer Pro in a few playlists: no AA's, no personal ordnance, a mix of global ordnance or on map weapon spawns, no white text in centre of screen as you play more and it most certainly has BR starts in slayer and other gametypes too. Just look at Ghostayme/Bravo/Quinn/AGL/community cartographers. Halo 4 right now is all those things guys'n'gals.

Um, yeah, so we can sort of get something close to that screenshot ten months after release and if we get lucky voting. Super great.

Um, yeah, so we can sort of get something close to that screenshot ten months after release and if we get lucky voting. Super great.

Are you really saying Throwdown, doubles, slayer pro variants, turbo/weapon tuning, 4SK BR in your loadouts and all that isn't "something close" to that GIF? Really? I've played slayer pro type settings in BTB, CTF, Infinity Slayer, Championship Bundle, Ricochet and it also exists in Throwdown/doubles but I don't play those playlists.

I agree the playlists are borked in terms of 100% always getting what you want to play, I've championed a more core playlist reorganisation for Halo 4 as well as player toggles with streamlined playlists for the next title. This isn't exclusive to Halo 4 though as I've had the same issues with objective playlists in Reach & Halo 3. I don't want oddball or KOTH or crazy king or stockpile in those playlists. Just give me CTF, assault or ricochet all the time please.

Are you really saying Throwdown, doubles, slayer pro variants, turbo/weapon tuning, 4SK BR in your loadouts and all that isn't "something close" to that GIF? Really? I've played slayer pro type settings in BTB, CTF, Infinity Slayer, Championship Bundle, Ricochet and it also exists in Throwdown/doubles but I don't play those playlists.

I agree the playlists are borked in terms of 100% always getting what you want to play, I've championed a more core playlist reorganisation for Halo 4 as well as player toggles with streamlined playlists for the next title. This isn't exclusive to Halo 4 though as I've had the same issues with objective playlists in Reach & Halo 3. I don't want oddball or KOTH or crazy king or stockpile in those playlists. Just give me CTF, assault or ricochet all the time please.

Meanwhile in Ozzy's universe, everyone at Nuremberg walks free.

GET IT?! Because he can defend everyone and everything?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Any of you guys familiar with networking? One of two ethernet ports in my dorm is nonfunctional, and I need to split 1 ethernet port among 2 or more devices. A personal router is a no go. I know there are splitters and hubs, but I don't know which I need. Routers don't work because my school actively blocks them from the network, so something that wouldn't be caught by automated filters such as a router is best.

Blueblur1

fNLy9Hf.png

EyJ5Z5x.jpg

Its still surprising to see a Halo game's player population dwindle that quickly. Maybe next time, 343.

1. Take Throwdown or Slayer Pro in a few playlists: no AA's, no personal ordnance, a mix of global ordnance or on map weapon spawns, no white text in centre of screen as you play more and it most certainly has BR starts in slayer and other gametypes too. Just look at Ghostayme/Bravo/Quinn/AGL/community cartographers. Halo 4 right now is all those things guys'n'gals. The hypocritical part is you want the whole game like that and berate 343i for trying the very same thing, one vision for the whole game. Now we should all realise catering to various groups/playlists is the only real way forward.

2. Ranked vs. Social is certainly missing and would create stricter matching on skill/teams while also getting rid of guests and with in game rank quitting would hopefully be reduced too.

I shouldn't have to do this or that to find a fun and enjoyable Halo game. I could pick any playlist in Halo 3 and have fun. The game was always fun and played the same, the only difference was the goal in playlist. In Halo 4 every playlist is a different game.

Gonna be so siiiiiick
Minus the Heckfu!
The day of the BF4 beta (read demo). Not sure that's great timing by DICE. But they don't really have a large window to release it within.

Although, for normal plebians it's out on the 3rd.
Does it matter? BF4 will sell a shit-ton of copies and everyone knows it.
Any of you guys familiar with networking? One of two ethernet ports in my dorm is nonfunctional, and I need to split 1 ethernet port among 2 or more devices. A personal router is a no go. I know there are splitters and hubs, but I don't know which I need. Routers don't work because my school actively blocks them from the network, so something that wouldn't be caught by automated filters such as a router is best.
An ethernet hub is the way to go in a dorm.

Are you really saying Throwdown, doubles, slayer pro variants, turbo/weapon tuning, 4SK BR in your loadouts and all that isn't "something close" to that GIF? Really?

Did you even read what I said?:

I said we can get close, sort of. The "sort of" was to indicate that we still don't have access to what that gif had a lot of us expecting. To me, "BR Slayer" appears to be a tight, unadorned Team Slayer-like experience with a single fast-killing precision starting weapon on a small arena map without perks, armor abilities, killstreaks, loadouts, or flinch. The only thing I would define as more than "sort of" close would currently be Legendary BRs, which still has sprint, and Team Slayer in Throwdown, which has some AAs in personal ordnance (and Sprint).

My main point was that, at release, there wasn't anything close to that gif which had the style people were excited to have, and even now you are at the mercy of the vote.

So something like this then? I can connect my wall ethernet port to this then add my 360/laptop/etc and have them all connected?

Definitely a switch instead of a hub, yes. Especially since you're connecting most likely to a small WAN in the cases of most college dorms. Meaning bandwidth can be at a premium sometimes.

Mabef

Banned
Halo 4 is nominated for a few stuff here. Vote as you will. http://t.co/OuEROHEl4n
Not a single one of my votes went to Halo 4/343i
I'll be sad if the Metal Gear Rising senator fight doesn't win it's category
To submit your votes in the Golden Joystick Awards 2013, you must be a registered CVG user.
n0PJQgM.gif

I almost voted H4 for visual design, but I saw Ni No Kuni after alll this
and I just couldn't take it, you so motherfucking gawgeous (gawgeous)

Yeah, it was pretty obvious the other team were smashing us most of the time, even with our lvl 41 bard singing auras.

I'm really, really surprised there's no console Halo game this year. Is Microsoft banking on the GOTY edition bringing back players? I don't see it happening between GTA Online, Ghosts, Battlefield, etc. I don't expect to see Halo 4 charting on the top 10 list by mid October.

Well, the last time they launched a MW3 console then Halo 4 Console, I wont be surprised if they launch a ghost console and later a Xbox One Halo 5 console since they dont care about Treyart's COD.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm really, really surprised there's no console Halo game this year. Is Microsoft banking on the GOTY edition bringing back players? I don't see it happening between GTA Online, Ghosts, Battlefield, etc. I don't expect to see Halo 4 charting on the top 10 list by mid October.

gAg CruSh3r

Sad to say but this is true.

I can't see it going past 10k once Halo 3 for free drops.

If it still does. Something tells me the pop drop made them reconsider since we haven't heard a thing.

Last question about GTAO: do I need to have anything in GTAV complete, or can I just straight-up buy a copy when GTAO goes active and then just play as the fourth character from then on out?

Why would you be surprised. This isn't cod to be out every year.

Fracas

#fuckonami
If it still does. Something tells me the pop drop made them reconsider since we haven't heard a thing.

Last question about GTAO: do I need to have anything in GTAV complete, or can I just straight-up buy a copy when GTAO goes active and then just play as the fourth character from then on out?

I'd guess you just have to do the prologue, but you're doing yourself a disservice if you skip straight to multiplayer. Single player is really good.
Why would you be surprised. This isn't cod to be out every year.

It's been rumored for some time that the series is transitioning to more frequent installments, and Certain Affinity is up to something.

I'd guess you just have to do the prologue, but you're doing yourself a disservice if you skip straight to multiplayer. Single player is really good.

It's been rumored for some time that the series is transitioning to more frequent installments, and Certain Affinity is up to something.
you mean the two year statement?

Fracas

#fuckonami
I could've sworn there was a statement made back when Halo 4 released, but this article from 2010 was one of the first things I found.

Also, this quote from the article made me do a double take. I'm basically positive that no one had any idea of the launch date back in 2010 though

Phil Spencer said:
343 Industries is thinking a lot about how to take this franchise and turn it into something that people feel like they have an ongoing relationship with and they can entertain themselves more often. But it’s not, hey every November 6 or whatever we have to ship a game and build a production plan around that. We want to do things that make sense as a first party…I used to look at annual releases of non-sports games as people just trying to milk me. I figured nobody had enough time to do a good job, and all of the negatives that we would associate with those kinds of scenarios. Kudos to Activision because they’ve done a good job building a good game, continuing to release each year and I think the fans feel like it’s a good thing that they do that. I think there are some things to learn, some positives and some opportunities, in what they do with that. Obviously they’ve kept the quality extremely high, which I think is important.

I was playing Reach over the past couple of days at close to peak hours and it had 20-25k players, usually at around 23k. So that means Reach probably has a greater average than Halo 4 now. Great job at sustaining your player base, 343.

(Caveat: I have not looked at averages for Reach so it may have just been a freak occurrence.)

I was playing Reach over the past couple of days at close to peak hours and it had 20-25k players, usually at around 23k. So that means Reach probably has a greater average than Halo 4 now. Great job at sustaining your player base, 343.

(Caveat: I have not looked at averages for Reach so it may have just been a freak occurrence.)

I don't think Reach's population counter works.

daedalius

The Halo 4 Essential Visual Guide seems pretty cool, but I think the Halo Encyclopedia is probably better overall. I still have the Halo 3 one, but I think they updated it with Reach stuff at some point, right?

Also started the CE playthrough after Reach. Man, dat pistol.

You showed him!

I sure did. Now I don't have to see his mouth diarrhea ever again. Well, unless I get temp banned and have to look at the forum without my ignores.

it doesnt count.
They contributed to the long term splintering of the brand's value and its slow erosion into what it is today. So they may not "count" in the sense of being full branded Halo titles, but they do count as Halo games coming out every year. If anything, their lesser status has hurt the series in the long run because regardless of the quality of each game, Call of Duty has been able to put out a major main series game every year without significant declines in quality (at least enough to affect the series' appeal) while Halo has put out spin off games and prequels and remakes that have lowered the expectations for the franchise every time. ODST is something of a darling in many circles, but its price point and pre-release reputation as an expansion pack proved toxic to its immediate legacy. Halo Wars was a decent game hurt badly by development struggles and an impending death for Ensemble. Anniversary was rushed out in eight months using a ton of older assets from previous games that made it come off as hugely jarring and unintentionally hilarious at times (Cortana), and lacking actual CE multiplayer killed it for a lot of core Halo fans. All these problems hurt the brand in addition to adding to long term fatigue building up from 2009. Reach's halfheartedly addressed multiplayer issues had just as big an effect.

Halo 4's laundry list of problems did nothing to alleviate the weariness of the franchise. It exacerbated it and grievously injured the long term life the series' entries usually enjoy. Whether or not 343 can rectify that with Halo 5 remains to be seen, but I believe they can't entirely. Too much damage has been done.

I fully believe Halo 4 will be the last time Halo breaks its own day one records, and it's been a long trek down to hell.

Top Bottom