• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Nebula

Should have got Halo 3 for free this month. Would have been perfect. Players returning for the anniversary and new and old players returning because of the population receiving a boost.

No idea what 343/Microsoft are thinking of doing with the free release of the game and why they're holding back on one of the ones that they announced would become free.

wwm0nkey

Got a HDMI switcher and played Halo 3 on my monitor that has very very little input delay....I can't even complain about aiming in Halo 3 now.

Think im just going to switch to gaming on my monitor

Computer

I am excited if Halo 3 gets a population boost. I have been wanting to play Halo 3 badly but the low population makes for very bad matchmaking. Ether players have no clue how to play or they just fuck around the whole game until they quit. Even in a ranked game.

Someone should make a Halo 3 anniversary thread in the gaming section might help get people to play.

Spawnling

Joseph Staten leaves Bungie. Color me surprised!

http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11101

Joe_staten.jpg

Wait, whaaaat? Is it a "Staten Island Inc: Now With Blackjack and Hookers" studio leave or a "Creative Director Leaves Halo 4 Following First Media Blowout, Brace For Suck" studio leave?

@karl: I have no idea, but I think Sumthing Else has it for under $10.

Usually when something like this happens something was wrong. More to this story than him leaving to tackle other creative challenges.

Maybe 343 called with all their monies.

As delicious of a dick move that would be, I don't see it happening.

Maybe OddOne is Joseph Staten.

As delicious of a dick move that would be, I don't see it happening.

Maybe OddOne is Joseph Staten.

I would think it was some kind of internal issue since Destiny has not even launched yet. Who leaves when they have carte blanche to build their own IP for the next 10 years. He was not getting along with someone. Maybe Bungie has gone more corporate.

I would think it was some kind of internal issue since Destiny has not even launched yet. Who leaves when they have carte blanche to build their own IP for the next 10 years. He was not getting along with someone. Maybe Bungie has gone more corporate.

He could have just been planting some creative seeds for the franchise's foundation before pursuing some more individualized interest - which isn't necessarily a bad idea, because it could end up turning into a case of "Like Destiny? Then you'll love Project Staten!" which would nail down some extra success for him.

Something tells me if you're leaving Bungie you're not in the industry for the sole purpose of making bank, though.

Nowise10

I think its absolutely silly to think just because someone leaves somewhere, its from issues.
He's been working at Bungie for over a decade, creating games. At some point, you're brain gets fried, and you want to do something new. I would not be surprised if he starts his own Indie game of sorts, something different from Bungie. He worked on Destiny, and launched it off, and its now on the tracks of the vision they have, and that is where he felt satisfied the team has their vision and he is no longer "needed".

wwm0nkey

Played a decent sum of Halo 3 today and it really does make me sad my TV has such awful input lag but I got a HDMI switcher and have been using my monitor with very little input delay and like I said before today, I'm just going to use this as my default setup as aiming in games is sooooo much better now where H3 doesn't even bother me in the slightest....I'm just going to use this $700 tv for movies I guess or sell it for something with far less input lag :(
(Picture also looks better on the monitor too)

Seriously though if you are getting a new TV soon LOOK AT THE INPUT DELAY!

Madness

Things probably aren't as rosy at Bungie as we think. Hundreds of new hires, influence from Activision, Destiny now been in direct development almost 4 years and still don't know when it'll launch, new relationship with Sony where they always mention PS4, talk about ps4 games in mail sack, show pictures or talk about dualshocks on twitter, special interview from playstation etc. Special reveals for PS4 only.

Why would Staten, creative director for Destiny leave almost a year before launch?

Things probably aren't as rosy at Bungie as we think. Hundreds of new hires, influence from Activision, Destiny now been in direct development almost 4 years and still don't know when it'll launch, new relationship with Sony where they always mention PS4, talk about ps4 games in mail sack, show pictures or talk about dualshocks on twitter, special interview from playstation etc. Special reveals for PS4 only.

Why would Staten, creative director for Destiny leave almost a year before launch?

That is because xbox fans already are familiar with Bungie. I just saw a bungie employee talking about getting his xbox one pre-ordered the other day

Booshka

Played a decent sum of Halo 3 today and it really does make me sad my TV has such awful input lag but I got a HDMI switcher and have been using my monitor with very little input delay and like I said before today, I'm just going to use this as my default setup as aiming in games is sooooo much better now where H3 doesn't even bother me in the slightest....I'm just going to use this $700 tv for movies I guess or sell it for something with far less input lag :(
(Picture also looks better on the monitor too)

Seriously though if you are getting a new TV soon LOOK AT THE INPUT DELAY!

Been gaming on a 2-5ms monitor for 5+ years on console, never look back. Go play Shadowrun on that monitor, silky smooth gameplay.

Fuchsdh

Because his role on the game is likely complete, insofar as overarching script and lore.

There's plenty of reasons to think it could be due to some unknown circumstances, but it's also just as likely to be the exact reasons he stated. I'm not sure why everyone always suggests ulterior motives for leaving companies--these people are trying to do what's best for themselves, their families and careers. Sometimes there's a better or more exciting deal somewhere else, and if that means leaving the place you've worked for years, you have to decide, good timing or no.

Trey

Can you blame them? Sony is currently enjoying very positive buzz, and Bungie wants to ingratiate themselves with a player base who until now are unfamiliar with them.

wwm0nkey

Been gaming on a 2-5ms monitor for 5+ years on console, never look back. Go play Shadowrun on that monitor, silky smooth gameplay.
I Am going to replay a lot of stuff now. Halo 3 and Murder Miners which I've had...eh experiences with aiming are now just perfectly fine with my 2ms monitor rather than my 20+ms TV

First of all, Staten wasn't creative director, he was a writer and design director. Secondly, they explicitly stated that they do have a release date in the last mail sack.

Because he got a better job?

Thirdly, what does PlayStation have to do with "things probably aren't as rosy at Bungie as we think"? They're launching their new franchise on the most powerful game console ever made, the PS4.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
First of all, Staten wasn't creative director, he was a writer and design director. Secondly, they explicitly stated that they do have a release date in the last mail sack.
Oh shit, that's exciting to hear, even if we don't know when it is.

Top Bottom