• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Saw this brand new graffiti on my walk home from class today.
nKoZaBy.jpg
It's a signal. That I have to play Halo 3 today. I'll get on after I get done with work around ~6:00 Central or so.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yes, an OP warthog was so much fun
for the driver/gunner

And honestly, no offense meant to any of you as it's basically a generational thing at this point, but this is why I personally have no hope for the future of Halo. When the majority of remaining Halo fans think Halo 3 was great, what chance do future Halo's have?
Played since Halo CE. CE was fantastic in 2v2s in the other modes I prefer Halo 2, Halo CE online also would have been shit with abusing stuff. Also I'm one of the players who started with CE and thinks moving away from theagnum to a BR wss the best thing possible.

You think about CE as a lan game, and god yes it was fantastic on Lan.

But hell Halo 2 was also. Halo 3 just was a little bit slow and the spread was shit.
Else it was pretty solid.

BigShow36

Pretty sweet chance for those of us who thought Halo 2 and Halo 3 were awesome.

Maybe. Certainly a greater chance than I have that Halo returns to the gameplay that I loved. However, I'm still unsure of what exactly people who loved Halo 3, or even Halo 2 to an extent, feel is missing from Halo 4?

Good maps is a reasonable one, although not a large enough issue that people to cause people to not play the game. Weapons behave probably more consistently in Halo 4 than they do in Halo 3, and there's very little weapon skill in either game, so that shouldn't be it. I just don't see what it is about Halo 4 that makes it so diametrically different than Halo 3 to the point where people claim to want to go back and play Halo 3 instead of 4.

Maybe. Certainly a greater chance than I have that Halo returns to the gameplay that I loved. However, I'm still unsure of what exactly people who loved Halo 3, or even Halo 2 to an extent, feel is missing from Halo 4?

Good maps is a reasonable one, although not a large enough issue that people to cause people to not play the game. Weapons behave probably more consistently in Halo 4 than they do in Halo 3, and there's very little weapon skill in either game, so that shouldn't be it. I just don't see what it is about Halo 4 that makes it so diametrically different than Halo 3 to the point where people claim to want to go back and play Halo 3 instead of 4.

Come on now.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just found out my campus' internet connection is going to be out tomorrow and part of Friday. We should definitely play Halo 3 today.

No ninja sword that you can wear at all times.

Security helmet was horrifically altered to the point of not being wearable after Halo 3.

No Brute weapons. A lot of the fun color-pop is gone. No (in-game) ranking system.

I'm a fan of Halo 4. I've been a fan of every Halo game made. But those are my big complaints about where Halo has gone since Halo 3. That extra color really, really made some big differences IMO. I know a few people who weren't interested in playing Halo after 3 because it didn't have as much color and somehow that made it look not as fun. I personally disagree but would still like the extra vibrant colors to come back. Ranking system, after how much bitching has occurred it on this board, is pretty much covered.

/my $.02

Nebula

I'd just like BTB to be about Vehicle control instead of it being about cross map DMR fests until people call down snipers and shit.

IHaveIce

Banned

Sprint, Armor Abilities, Loadouts, OHK Sniper, Automatic buff, Personal Weapon ordnance, redundant weapons, vehicle - infantry balance, like you said maps, gametype alteration, looks, white text in the middle of the screen( damn how couldn't modders remove that for now) of the top of my head

I am getting hammered hard in Halo 3

I forgot nades bounces more, crouch jumps, pick up abilities, no time to rest just kill till you go down and the mandatory grenade shot combo because shields means something here.

Oh and the AR sucks.

It isn't really that core things are missing as much as it is the slathering of so much crap on top the basic game. The feedback of whether you're doing damage to someone is nicer in Reach and 4, but AA's and perks largely destroy the experience of things like BR duels, since someone can pop a regen, jetpack from a ridiculous angle, or just run away easier than before.

It went from largely skill-based encounters in Halo 3 since the biggest thing separating players was how good they were (and any differences were predictable because weapons/power-ups were map-based) to semi-random partial-skill based encounters in Halo 4 dependent on choices players made way beforehand in their loadouts and dumb luck of personal and global ordnance.

Halo 3 has its own issues but it's still a completely different game from 4.

Madness

In order, very little time, BF4 beta, PS4.

Damn, remember when Halo made folks want to go and get Microsoft's consoles for the games.

I'm in a similar situation, very little time, and I'd love to get the more powerful yet cheaper PS4, but I couldn't imagine a year from now, having Halo 5 come out, and not be able to play it.

With both consoles having a subscription service, doesn't really seem I'd get both, I barely play games as it is, talk about them more than play.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Is Halo 3 finally releasing via the XBL free games thing? Is that why everyone's talking about it so much?

Booshka

Is Halo 3 finally releasing via the XBL free games thing? Is that why everyone's talking about it so much?

Microsoft wouldn't dare offer a Halo game for free when they are trying to sell the "Game of the Year (9.8/10)" version of their latest underwhelming Halo game. All of that cannibalizing the audience nonsense, instead of more people playing a wide variety of Halo games, let's just try to keep forcing people to play the latest Halo game.

Probably don't want the embarrassment of seeing Halo 3 on top of Halo 4 in the XBL activity charts.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh. So people are just getting excited for Halo 3 in a sad attempt to relive the series' glory days?

Count me in.

Played since Halo CE. CE was fantastic in 2v2s in the other modes I prefer Halo 2, Halo CE online also would have been shit with abusing stuff. Also I'm one of the players who started with CE and thinks moving away from theagnum to a BR wss the best thing possible.

You think about CE as a lan game, and god yes it was fantastic on Lan.

But hell Halo 2 was also. Halo 3 just was a little bit slow and the spread was shit.
Else it was pretty solid.

What do you mean online would have been shit with abusing stuff?

As for the bolded, literally not one of those exists.
<--This is not a hyperbole.

-EDIT-

Genuinely asking and I hope you didn't take my comment with any malicious intent lol

m23

Had a good session of Halo 3 customs with some friends. Good times. Now that the anniversary is over, back to GTA.

I just wanted to say I used to mention them making noscope gametypes back when I bitched about Halo 3 when I was new and everybody hated me because I called the game out for obvious errors.

Then I mentioned they should add the option to disable scoping so people could play noscope gametypes like they used to in Lockout H2 without having to use honor rules (there was always that one bitch who scoped and then was like Noooo I didnt use scope I'm really good at noscopes!)

Anyways it was on my wish list for Reach, and Halo 4. Unfortunately it doesnt seem the options have caught up yet but at least they managed to get scoped kills to be scoreless. So its a step up.

Congrats on finally after four years getting a gametype that should already be in action sack type areas of Halo.

Now we just need a mercenaries team playlist.

Although I question putting this in Team Snipers and not Action Sack.

Anyways, Congrats again I guess. This would already be in Halo had I been hired years ago.

You know Bigshow's playing too much CoD when he doesn't remember the differences between Halo 3 and 4 anymore.

Halo 3 has a simplicity that is lost in 4. Everyone shares the same movement properties, has the same amount of health, weapons spawn on set timers, a bunch of great-looking, awesome-playing maps, all made by Bungie. Yeah, the BR can be frustrating with network inconsistency. Yes, the AR kills too quickly. But it's simple. And it's fun. And it held it's own against CoD for years.

Anybody on Halo 3 right now? Just hopped on.

EDIT: Oh god I deleted all the map packs. Son of a biscuit now I have to re-download them.

EDIT2: Forgot about ODST's second disc. Should be good to go now.

Booties

Banned
In college I would play halo all night long after class. Go to bed at like 4 am, wake up late and miss class, go to one or two classes, come home, and do it all again. I had friends in every time zone from London to San Diego. Shit was gross. Kyle was my right hand man at almost all times. Now? Halo is garbage and I can barely get anyone to play with me and if I do it's only for like 3-4 games at most.

Halo 3 was the best time period of halo. Maybe not the best halo, but those times were the peak of enjoyment from the series. Shit has tanked so unbelievably hard after Reach, and that game wasn't even any good.

Going back to Halo 3...no sprint makes walking through Valhalla an impossibly boring pain. No join in progress means within the first few minutes half the game is empty. Some other minor complaints but big team without sprint is horrible. I'm not even that big of a fan of sprint, but once it's gone I really noticed it.

Still can't wait for customs on Saturday. Has anyone played the Infection variant Omega Journey? It is fun as hell and I think it could go over pretty well at customs if we give it a try. I still have the map/obstacle course ready on my harddrive, surprisingly enough.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm jelly of you guys. I was broke as hell when Halo 3 launched; didn't get a 360 til December '07 and Halo 3 a few months after that. I played it a handful of times before that, but not much.

I can't imagine how many hours I put into Halo 3 after I got it though. Such an incredible game, and what I feel to be the culmination of Bungie's growth as a studio. Just hearing the monk chant and theme gives me nerd chills.

I really, really wish Halo would be good again.

Halo 3 was definitely the best Halo. Most fun I've had in Halo and the Halo I invested the most time with. Best memories are in that game. I remember when 90% of my friends list played Halo 3 and ONLY Halo 3, would always have someone to play Customs and Match Making with.

God I miss that Halo.

Halo 3 was also my first Halo so take this with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom