• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I really hope they figure out whatever the hell they want to do with loadouts and the like come Halo 5. If they HAVE to keep the faction spread even, I want something like:

BR / Magnum
Carbine / Scootie-Plasma Junior (plasma pistol with overcharge, but no EMP function)
Light Rifle / Boltshot (overcharge can drain shields at most, no instakill)

That way they could have slightly specialized classes - sort of the natural extreme of what they did with the Turbo precision weapons. From there, just give the Scattershot some weird "spread tightener" overcharge shot, scrap the DMR, and add in the Reach Beta Plasma Pistol as an on-map pickup.

While I think loadout weapons should essentially be some of the weakest in the sandbox, I really hate how Ordnance divided the weapons. In the past, it was a more even spread damage-wise, but now it essentially boils down to "weapons that OHKO" and "weapons that don't OHKO." I'm glad they made most of them fun to use, but there are still a few like the Scattershot that feel like they need some extra polish.

Fuchsdh

I think they did an excellent job balancing the primaries, but it's simply too much duplication. Four utility weapons is too much--like I think we were talking about during a matchmaking night (or maybe it was with HBO), the sky can and should be the limit in campaign, but a more restrictive sandbox is just an easier thing to balance and manage in multiplayer. I'm glad they went with the route of making weapons behave the same in campaign and multiplayer initially (personally I'd like them to go further and make sure adjustments in multi propagate back to campaign if possible), but having additional weapons like silenced SMGs or additional faction weapons lets you give the campaign story and playspace its own room to work on the level that's best for it.

With a pared down sandbox, there's just no reason for personal loadouts. By all means let me festoon my weapons how I want (and bring back steampunk skins in every Halo!) but I think while interesting and excellent for customs, loadouts just introduce more headaches in a multiplayer context. Basically the only reason I love it in Halo 4 is that it brought me back my Carbine. Screw the Battle Rifle.

Madness

Get rid of a lot of the redundancy by having different types of matches. Have some matches be Elite Slayer, where everyone only has Covie weapons and vehicles. Have a match be Forerunner Slayer etc.

Additionally, why not switch up the map/skybox as well. So like Valhalla in the day is UNSC run, there are warthogs and mongoose, and it's normal slayer. The elite slayer version, the map/skybox is now nighttime and shows a Covenant bombardment in the distance, and because it was overrun, the weapons and vehicles are Covenant only.

I know some people hated it, but I liked playing Elite Slayer from time to time. As for load outs, I think they, along with the addition of perks and game breaking features like see through walls, invisibility, have ruined the game.

Wondering how Halo 5 would be if it had two Cortanas.

1. The original Cortana is hidden safely away with the Librarian.

2. And the new Cortana model without the original memories, personalities, and ancilla intelligence. Created by what little remains recovered from the Didact's ship.

Wondering how Halo 5 would be if it had two Cortanas.

1. The original Cortana is hidden safely away with the Librarian.

2. And the new Cortana model without the original memories, personalities, and ancilla intelligence. Created by what little remains recovered from the Didact's ship.

I'm personally hoping old Cortana stays dead and they use space magic to Compose current Halsey into a unique AI and give him to Chief.

That might make him a little overpowered, though.

nillapuddin

I took a few buddies and we tried Halo 3 last night, it was just god damn impossible to get good games.

Everytime I go back I think "how on earth did I ever play this?" and yet still, I cannot help but like it (in theory)

After 4 matches in which the lag was so immense the game was unplayable and/or 1 out of the 3 of us would be black screen an entire match, we swapped discs.

The lack of battlefield awareness and feedback is staggering, when shooting someone with the BR I had very little idea how close they were to death, and for myself also (alot of this is cause, lag)

It was very disappointing, I really wanted to have fun.

So we went to Reach, holy fucking jetpack, I knew it was bad, terribly bad, terribadly awful. But jesus christ, the elevation that thing provides is ridiculous, and the encounters were soooo slow. Better gameplay feedback assuredly, the motion blur on the radar took me by surprise, but it was okay, also had pretty poor connection quality a few times.

The thing I took away from the night more so than anything, is that I am very happy with the way they have evolved the player feedback from a personal perspective (the "weight" and "agility" of the player) and also PvP encounters feel cleaner, obviously many players using different weapons has turned people off in Halo 4, but primary vs primary it works well.

Not that this is a new opinion for me, just one that I had reasserted last night, 343 provided a much improved feature set for player interactions.

Just take the good parts and recreate it as much as you can in your post-school life while also being responsible and stuff. I feel like the thing that people most often miss about their college years is the sense of community, and while that's way easier to foster in a campus setting, it's also possible in adulthood. The other major thing people seem to miss is the sense of fulfillment and mental / creative stimulation, which is often times devoid in the nine-to-five grind of career life.

In short: work to create community + chase your dreams as much as life let's you.

Halo
I miss the fake life. You sort of have some responsibilities, but not really.

Real life is just:
48944-Aint-Nobody-Got-Time-for-That-zXGU.gif

Seriously though, I work, commute to and from work, and sleep. That's pretty much life now.
But the cloud is a bullshit lie!

nillapuddin

Sony does this too :p

Hope MS copies Sony's BC idea.

yeah, If they can pull off some sort of (proof of ownership) type system, so that we wouldn't have to repurchase all our old games (sony's idea) then I would participate.

If not, I'll pass.

That said, Azure network likely >> ______

wwm0nkey

Oh, Sony uses the cloud for gaming as well. No longer bullshit. /GAF
Well I mean....you know what never mind.

Also off-topic but after my move to monitor gaming (best gaming) I've been looking at some new ones to get and found there is a pretty insane ASUS one with only a 1ms (think its actually .7MS) input delay, 144MHz and an option to put a cursor overlay on the screen at anytime (good for practicing no-scoping), so if anyone was looking for a new monitor here you go.

daedalius

I took a few buddies and we tried Halo 3 last night, it was just god damn impossible to get good games.

Everytime I go back I think "how on earth did I ever play this?" and yet still, I cannot help but like it (in theory)

After 4 matches in which the lag was so immense the game was unplayable and/or 1 out of the 3 of us would be black screen an entire match, we swapped discs.

The lack of battlefield awareness and feedback is staggering, when shooting someone with the BR I had very little idea how close they were to death, and for myself also (alot of this is cause, lag)

So we went to Reach, holy fucking jetpack, I knew it was bad, terribly bad, terribadly awful. But jesus christ, the elevation that thing provides is ridiculous, and the encounters were soooo slow. Better gameplay feedback assuredly, the motion blur on the radar took me by surprise, but it was okay, also had pretty poor connection quality a few times.

The thing I took away from the night more so than anything, is that I am very happy with the way they have evolved the player feedback from a personal perspective (the "weight" and "agility" of the player) and also PvP encounters feel cleaner, obviously many players using different weapons has turned people off in Halo 4, but primary vs primary it works well.

Not that this is a new opinion for me, just one that I had reasserted last night, 343 provided a much improved feature set for player interactions.

Yea, I pretty much felt this way after the last couple sessions of nostalgia for Reach and H3 multiplayer.

Also off-topic but after my move to monitor gaming (best gaming) I've been looking at some new ones to get and found there is a pretty insane ASUS one with only a 1ms (think its actually .7MS) input delay and an option to put a cursor overlay on the screen at anytime (good for practicing no-scoping), so if anyone was looking for a new monitor here you go.

I'm just joking around haha.

If we're being serious though, obviously MS has a very sophisticated cloud platform and they've been pushing it and expanding the platform pretty rapidly on a number of business fronts the last few years.

I have no doubts they plan to bring game streaming to consumers at some point along with plenty more cloud-centric stuff.

wwm0nkey

I'm just joking around haha.

If we're being serious though, obviously MS has a very sophisticated cloud platform and they've been pushing it and expanding the platform pretty rapidly on a number of business fronts the last few years.

I have no doubts they plan to bring game streaming to consumers at some point along with plenty more cloud-centric stuff.

Microsoft's problem right now is they haven't shown much of how they will use the cloud other than dedicated servers. Show games running on and then off the cloud to show people the difference it can make if there are any big ones.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Also off-topic but after my move to monitor gaming (best gaming) I've been looking at some new ones to get and found there is a pretty insane ASUS one with only a 1ms (think its actually .7MS) input delay, 144MHz and an option to put a cursor overlay on the screen at anytime (good for practicing no-scoping), so if anyone was looking for a new monitor here you go.

I'm at the point now where I just want to upgrade my PC. SSD, new GFX card, new HDD...now a new monitor. All da monies :(

Microsoft's problem right now is they haven't shown much of how they will use the cloud other than dedicated servers. Show games running on and then off the cloud to show people the difference it can make if there are any big ones.

Well they are offering scalable dedicated servers, which is the biggest issue with dedicated servers. It's a big deal that they offer that as a part of their platform and it's all down on their end.

My point was just that MS has a huge range of cloud services that they use and offer for a lot of things and Xbox will certainly utilize more and more of that in the future. As for showing it off, it's not really an easily marketable thing, so I'm not sure if they really will push that. Yes, you and I care about it and would like to hear tons of details about what they offer, but 95% of people that will buy the box don't, they just want their games and services to work as best as possible. They don't care how it's done on the backend.

Oh, and playing games on a monitor > obviously. So good.

FyreWulff

I like Nintendo's use of the cloud. Miiverse integration, stuff like the Tingle Bottles in Wind Waker HD. That's using cloud/pollable server stuff for neatness.

It's really a missed opportunity that MS didn't have per-game forums you could peruse straight from the console.

An example that would be cool in Halo would be the ability to place an user skull wherever you can reach. Something like the SSX beacons, I guess. You log in, activate campaign scoring, and can go and try to collect community placed skulls for bonus points. The longer your skull goes uncollected the more EXP you get off it. Or place skulls that once picked up, start a special condition scenario like kill 20 Elites in 5 minutes with Tilt activated and only a BR. Completing the the challenge would get you EXP.

edit: obviously challenge skulls would require you to complete the challenge yourself before Azure sends it out to everyone else

Obscured

This was exactly my experience when I tried going back to 3 several months ago, which was why I haven't attempted since then and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of lag-free games last night.

My thinking is also in line with yours regarding 4, though I think I'd like to see an increase in base speed or quicker response in side to side movement for strafing.

After going back to 3 it made me kind of surprised that people just quit playing as opposed to moving to custom matches and just taking out what they didn't like. Certainly understand 4 didn't have all of the options if should have (and still no sprint disabling) and reach had bloom) but seeing how big custom games with honor rules seemed to be previously it seems odd. Because there were decent core games in there and I still think Reach is one of the most polished games experiences I've encountered even if not all the choices were optimal (shame about that occasional debilitating lag though)

I like Nintendo's use of the cloud. Miiverse integration, stuff like the Tingle Bottles in Wind Waker HD. That's using cloud/pollable server stuff for neatness.

It's really a missed opportunity that MS didn't have per-game forums you could peruse straight from the console.

An example that would be cool in Halo would be the ability to place an user skull wherever you can reach. Something like the SSX beacons, I guess. You log in, activate campaign scoring, and can go and try to collect community placed skulls for bonus points. The longer your skull goes uncollected the more EXP you get off it. Or place skulls that once picked up, start a special condition scenario like kill 20 Elites in 5 minutes with Tilt activated and only a BR. Completing the the challenge would get you EXP.

edit: obviously challenge skulls would require you to complete the challenge yourself before Azure sends it out to everyone else

Ooh, it is like video game horse! I like it. Hopefully MS has provided the tools so devs can come up and implement this kind of stuff.

One reason that I'm glad they've started talking about indies, because it seems those kind of ideas come from that arena, but also disappointed because they seem late to the party.

H2A with SSXkulls would be a nightmare. Could you imagine how many people would just do physics-defying HighImpactHalo shit like, say, corner-riding to the bottom of the Threshold Gas Mine and plopping one down the second before they hit the kill barrier?

They'd be set for life by just dumping a crapload of Skulls down there since a large majority of those locations can only really be reached once in a lifetime.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just got matched into a 2v2 game on Prisoner in Anniversary Slayer. I didn't know it even possible to get divided into teams that small.

Anniversary Slayer still feels like one of the best Halo playlists out there right now.

daedalius

I just got matched into a 2v2 game on Prisoner in Anniversary Slayer. I didn't know it even possible to get divided into teams that small.

Anniversary Slayer still feels like one of the best Halo playlists out there right now.

Didn't even think about playing anniv when I was on Reach last, might have to check that out.

Jump height sucks balls though, and the pistol isn't exactly the most consistent thing ever. Probably still better than most of the other playlists though!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't even think about playing anniv when I was on Reach last, might have to check that out.

Jump height sucks balls though, and the pistol isn't exactly the most consistent thing ever. Probably still better than most of the other playlists though!
It's great except when Hang'em High gets voted.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member

That is an awesome monitor. I only found out recently that response time =/= input delay. Response time is sort of part of input delay but there are other delays in an image appearing oncsreen that are not measured by manufacturers. Response time is more a measure of how much ghosting you get on the screen as the colours change. From my reading on the subject the best LCD monitors for low input delay are TN panels and obviously a true 120hz refresh rate is also a big plus.

I have 2 60hz 1080p monitors. One is an IPS panel with quoted 6ms response time and one is a TN panel with quoted 5ms response. The IPS panel definitely has more input delay, it is not major and I don't really notice in single player games but in fast multiplayer fps games I can definitely feel the difference. Its definitely a more substantial difference than the response time difference.

See http://www.displaylag.com/exposed-input-lag-vs-response-time/

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to play Reach with the sound off right now and it's surprisingly hard. I can't tell how I'm dying, when grenades are near me, etc.

Fuchsdh

I find them corny. Have you seen them on gowj? A pink lancer throws off the whole look of the game.

I don't think there is anything that off in Halo 4. Most of the skins are subtle and even the Recent steampunk ones are nicely executed. Only one that feels a little off is the splatter one.

But I ask you; would you rather have lots of weapon and armor skins, or custom loadouts? Purely cosmetic doodads shouldn't be an issue for anyone, especially if they don't force people to buy them.

Best cheese I ever had was from Mexico.

The worst part is they didn't even have a pure black skin for the BR. They could have done that.

Seriously. Though I maintain that would also make it look like a Space FAMAS more so than it already does. h8 u 343i weapon designs

Halo 4 definitely sucked in the progression department, so I'm sure they're going to be adding stuff (and hopefully making it cosmetic-only). Thinking back, Unreal Tournament (the original) let you change not only the shape and color of your reticle but the tint of your entire HUD, which sounds better than getting Perk A or Perk B. And how many idiots would put in a thousand games just to get a smiley face in the middle of their screen?

Top Bottom