• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Omni

Yeah, once you figured out to carry a plasma weapon and pistol, with ordinance to supplement you could take on most things with ease in ODST.

If I had to choose between them, I'd say FF in Reach > ODST FF - if only for the sheer amount of customisation and the difficulty. Limited is the shit. Still wish it came back in any form for Halo 5, though. I think it's clear that Spartan Ops was a pretty big failure - even if the new CGI vid got a few of us excited each week, actual gameplay was lethargic and extremely repetitive.

FyreWulff

What I liked about ODST's Firefight:

- Harder to survive, but depended on the map. Crater (Night) is a test of your Halo skill. Lost Platoon, while the obvious favorite for most everyone, made the game significantly easier.

- Long games. The slow progression of skulls made it feel more like accomplishing something, versus Reach rotating back to zero after each set completes. (This was probably limited by the need to have customization)

- Small maps like Crater and claustrophobic maps like Data Hive mixed things up from Choppermania Lost Platoon.

The downside of ODST's Firefight, I feel, is that it wouldn't have handled being matchmaked well. I swear this is not me excusing Bungie for not having matchmaking for the mode, but I feel some of the good memories are due to all games being with friends and no jerks in MM ruining things, like hiding on Lost Platoon forcing people to quit out, etc

What I liked about Reach's Firefight:

- Customization, obviously.

- Objectives! They weren't much yet, but they were there. Should have had more control over where Generators spawned though.

- Firefight Versus. Even though this made one fleeting appearing in Reach MM, it's still fun as shit to play on LAN.

- The ability for someone to leave without killing the game is a giant plus

- It lends itself better to playing with randoms.

I was really hoping 4 would have the evolved version of Firefight that took what people liked from ODST and Reach and added new stuff on top of that to improve the mode even more. Better objectives, being to play as more types of Covenant, being able to influence the Covies while playing as one, better promotion of moving around the map etc. I also expected them to take a page from Gears of War and make every multiplayer map also compatible with Firefight. We got a hint of that with Valhalla appearing in SPOPS along with Complex. And some sort of basic Forge functionality, even just being able to set up soft kills to be able to deal with jerks would be good.

Mabef

Banned
Was glad I got to play a couple games w yall earlier tonight, wish I coulda stayed longer. Laundry time turned into dinner time.

Playing customs gave me the H3 bug tho, and I just finished a several hour session of crappy customs with a random group of mexicanos. Classic halo experience.

heckfu

Banned
Can you buy him a better mic/camera with all the money you won from your various 1st places in Halo competitions?

Did you ever hear the story of Tashi competing at PAX this year? HILARIOUS. He was SO mad afterwards and we all laughed so stinkin hard.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Did you ever hear the story of Tashi competing at PAX this year? HILARIOUS. He was SO mad afterwards and we all laughed so stinkin hard.

LOL. Looking back on it, it totally makes sense that the Gods would do that to me.

Never knew nscuDuncan from GAF/HaloGAF has his own show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xJ52ywg98Q

Heh, I was wondering if anyone saw my totally serious post in this thread.

Can you buy him a better mic/camera with all the money you won from your various 1st places in Halo competitions?

I might be able to improve mic quality, but upgrading the camera is a bit more complicated. I need something I can pull live video from (since I'm streaming to Twitch) and higher quality means more strain on my video card (Radeon HD 5850). It's hooked up to three monitors and has to deal with all of the stuff I'm feeding into Xsplit, so I don't want to push it too much.

Walked into Eason's (Irish bookstore) after being convinced to finally buy Silentium by comments by Hypertrooper and Dax.

€21.50 (~$27) for the paperback version? Fuck off.
I promptly put it back on the shelf and walked out.

I might get it from Amazon in the coming months. Seeing that cover still pisses me off honestly.
Never knew nscuDuncan from GAF/HaloGAF has his own show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xJ52ywg98Q
Such a nerd. A fabulous one!

something something Halo...

I don't know why I'd post this in here, but here you guys go. I kinda tried to kill myself...
Glad to hear you didn't do it Mix.
Life is hard, and don't let anyone laugh at your struggles.

I recommend chatting to the fine folks over at Mental Health GAF if you're ever feeling low and happen to be online, whether on GAF or on their irc. They're really nice and always willing to listen.

*hugs* Onwards and upwards.

OT but Holy Shit, Frankie is dropping the Truff Bomb and is pissed: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=84015143

Holy shit. Reading that thread, no matter what Franklez might have posted, Batman has me in tears. It's like reading words dictated by 60% of the populace of my city. That would be the under-educated, ultra-religious, completely ignorant portion. The portion dependent on the rest of us working in research, tech, and DOD jobs that keep the town afloat. Seriously, in any conversation with these idiots, we have no idea what we're saying...

oh yeah, Halo's golden years are gone, RIP in peace, etc., etc.

gAg CruSh3r

I'm half way through this but this is a really good interview. I agree with this almost 100%.

Edit: It kinda got a little stupid towards the end but for the mass majority of was good. I honestly believe 343i is in the right direction. It will get better I hope anyways. Xbox will sell fine. People will be watching Halo (5) big time to see where Halo is going.

DeadNames

Banned
Whoa, bsangel replied to my tweet asking what my definition of core halo was. I said the golden triangle, even playing field while contesting power weapons and power ups. Consistency basically.

Did I do good halogaf?

Tashi

Whoa, bsangel replied to my tweet asking what my definition of core halo was. I said the golden triangle, even playing field while contesting power weapons and power ups. Consistency basically.

Did I do good halogaf?

Don't be surprised that Jess responded to you. She's awesome.

I'd say that's a fair definition of core Halo.

Tashi

Reading through Jess' timeline right now just to see what people are saying to her is pretty cool. There are a lot of compliments on Community interaction and stuff.

I gave props for Community love as well. For improvement I said rate at which playlists are updated/tweaked.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
After tweeting bsangel a half dozen times about how much is wrong with Halo 4, I feel like playing Halo 4. Yall should hop on.

Top Bottom