• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

At launch, dual wielding Magnums in Halo 2 was disgustingg. Duals should've stayed powerful but balanced by adding more recoil or reducing aim assist, not by making each individual weapon weaker (ie: dual wielded H3 Magnum took 7 bullets to kill instead of the 5 if single wielded).

Backwards babby game design IMO.

Jesus, the pre-patch Halo 2 dual magnum was INSANE dual-wielding. Will never forget running in a circle around Foundation blaning people, and picking up the new ones as they respawned. One of those stupidly overpowered... {{{ but fun! }}} things 343i seems so fond of. Yeah, they never did quite figure out dual-wielding balance...

In Halo 5: Return of the Christ, Master Jesus Space Chief is gonna use his faith biotics to stop the Didact from activating the revelation relays which will allow the four reapers of the apocalypse to assume direct control over the flood spores.

During a Custom Game Night with ExWife we discussed the repercussions of a Jewish-friendly Halo title to combat the overly Christian themes in the main trilogy, wherein Meshuggah Chief battles and barters his way through the galaxy in order to defeat his greatest foe yet, Mel Gibson-Didact.

TheOddOne

OddOne every time I see you're the latest post in this thread I hope it's somehow related to news you found or a linkedin profile of some new developer joining 343.

So what I'm trying to say is, please find some interesting news please haha.
All I can gather at this point is that their narrative team is expanding. On the art side they have hired folks that worked on the Battlefield and PlanetSide 2.

That is about it so far.

Fuchsdh

Jesus, the pre-patch Halo 2 dual magnum was INSANE dual-wielding. Will never forget running in a circle around Foundation blaning people, and picking up the new ones as they respawned. One of those stupidly overpowered... {{{ but fun! }}} things 343i seems so fond of. Yeah, they never did quite figure out dual-wielding balance...

I just don't think there's any way to balance dual-wielding in a way that's satisfying. If they're powerful, then it becomes a mad rush to dual-weild and the weapons are crap on their own. If they're not, then there's no advantage to losing melees and grenades.

And on the subject of matchmaking, I would love it if they made an explicit "shame hole" for those who get bad reps to go to. Or, at least a matchmaking option to try and avoid those guys as much as possible.

Planet-Side 2 is a great game. I love their art direction as well.

Downer note: with Kenneth Scott in the lead position I don't think Halo's art direction is going to heavily improve.

I just don't think there's any way to balance dual-wielding in a way that's satisfying. If they're powerful, then it becomes a mad rush to dual-weild and the weapons are crap on their own. If they're not, then there's no advantage to losing melees and grenades.

Well, they never touched accuracy, which is what CoD does, IIRC. Would be one of the few places bloom would obviously make sense, too. But yeah, I don't think it's really worth the trouble overall to have dual-wielding, though I would take it over perks as a way to add variety to the sandbox.

FyreWulff

I think you could with a streamlining of the dual wield concept: If you have an SMG, and walk over another SMG, you press the weapon pickup button to get a second SMG.

This way dual-able weapons only have to be balanced with respect to one gun (themselves) and you don't lose a button so people can pick up the other gun, and I'd go so far as to make only the right trigger fire both guns. This way you could balance the DW RoF.

The single-button-same-gun would also let you focus DWing down to a smaller core of weapons that can do it. I'd limit it to the SMG and Sword. Single SMG is SAW-ish, double SMG is just bullet wall with terrible accuracy but good for supression and taking down air vehicles. Double sword would let you melee a bit faster at the cost of not being able to lunge. Also you would look like a badass.

FUN is definitely the right word I would use to describe them lol

I think you could with a streamlining of the dual wield concept: If you have an SMG, and walk over another SMG, you press the weapon pickup button to get a second SMG.

This way dual-able weapons only have to be balanced with respect to one gun (themselves) and you don't lose a button so people can pick up the other gun, and I'd go so far as to make only the right trigger fire both guns. This way you could balance the DW RoF.

The single-button-same-gun would also let you focus DWing down to a smaller core of weapons that can do it. I'd limit it to the SMG and Sword. Single SMG is SAW-ish, double SMG is just bullet wall with terrible accuracy but good for supression and taking down air vehicles. Double sword would let you melee a bit faster at the cost of not being able to lunge. Also you would look like a badass.

There he goes, that's the Fyre I know. Use that noggin man, you have good ideas. They could even throw the scope on the SMG so there's a purpose to use one alone. Hell, maybe even think of them like a detachable turret in that it doesn't take up a slot in your weapons, but you have to drop them if you want to use anything else. You can also melee and they don't limit your mobility. Something. It was an interesting concept worth exploring, especially when you consider how other games' dual wielding never felt as good as Halo's, IMO at least.

I'd love to see these things being tested out now that with the Xbox One they'll be able to update games more efficiently. If it doesn't work, simply tweak it and release some patch notes so players know the balance changes. Throw in a popup in the game and bam, knowledge.

This is the time when gamers and developers have to expand their creativity; the dawn of a new generation of consoles is upon us.

Does everyone have open NAT/in the same country?

I kept checking profiles to see if anyone was in the Gambia, but apparently people were US based. Man, 4 at least could keep a party from being too ridockulously laggy most of the time.

Still better than matchmaking, though. I'm finally getting the hang of it again! Well, when things aren't snapping back 8 feet at random intervals.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm guessing you can't, but does anyone know if you can download Halo 3 on a gold trial? A friend of mine's wanting to play.

Also, the population counter says 44k are on Halo 3 right now. First time I've seen it move in a while. If it's right then holy shit.

I'm guessing you can't, but does anyone know if you can download Halo 3 on a gold trial? A friend of mine's wanting to play.

Also, the population counter says 44k are on Halo 3 right now. First time I've seen it move in a while. If it's right then holy shit.

The King is back. If it's true, it's probably in the Top 5, at least the Top 8.

Computron

That was a fun several games guys.

Wharer:

ibxN0p2gMf0alj.gif

Fracas

#fuckonami
Trying to get to that next rank is so good.

Even though I get some pretty terrible teammates, many games have been really close.

Trying to get to that next rank is so good.

Even though I get some pretty terrible teammates, many games have been really close.

One thing I think Halo 3 has over the other games except CE is the sniping. It's much more rewarding to land headshots when the games aren't lagging because there's no hitscan. No scopes felt nicee and they both sounded great too.

wwm0nkey

I kept checking profiles to see if anyone was in the Gambia, but apparently people were US based. Man, 4 at least could keep a party from being too ridockulously laggy most of the time.

Still better than matchmaking, though. I'm finally getting the hang of it again! Well, when things aren't snapping back 8 feet at random intervals.
Yeah everyone should open their NAT or enable UPNP next time.

Just saw that Billy Berghammer from Planet N2000 / Gamecube is a webmaster at 343. Weird.

Billy was a cool dude, he was one of the two admins on the old gameinformer.com forums I was a part of. It's cool to see him at 343, I wondered what happened to him. Last thing I heard was he was at G4 I think.

ps4_zps1726f35b.png

PS4 is payed off. All I have to do is wait for my UPS driver to bring it to my doorstep in less than 4 weeks.

An interesting quote from Chris Butcher in the O Brave New World Bungie ViDoc, paraphrasing Jason Jones:

"Jason said it best I think, he said that Microsoft is building the biggest cannon in the world, and they're pointing it right at Sony, and we can be the bullet in that cannon, and we can make a really big impact on the course of the game industry."

It feels so good to see so much of the Bungie and Destiny promotion being aligned with PlayStation after what Microsoft has done to the Halo and Xbox brands.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm jelly. I've only got mine down to $230 and I paid off BF4.

Man, I can't wait. This gen has overstayed its welcome. That Friday is going to be a blast.

Ramirez

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42/HiredN00bs/ps4_zps1726f35b.png[/IMG

PS4 is payed off. All I have to do is wait for my UPS driver to bring it to my doorstep in less than 4 weeks.

An interesting quote from Chris Butcher in the O Brave New World Bungie ViDoc, paraphrasing Jason Jones:

"Jason said it best I think, he said that Microsoft is building the biggest cannon in the world, and they're pointing it right at Sony, and we can be the bullet in that cannon, and we can make a really big impact on the course of the game industry."

It feels so good to see so much of the Bungie and Destiny promotion being aligned with PlayStation after what Microsoft has done to the Halo and Xbox brands.[/QUOTE]

Because Bungie had nothing to do with the shit show that is Reach, which brought us down the path of Halo 4.

Oh, look. Yet another poster coming into the Halo thread saying that Halo is dead, Playstation is better, Microsoft is done, yadda yadda yadda. Ignore.

Sorry I couldn't make it on tonight fellas. I had other stuff going on.

Madness

Me neither. This is the kind of Halo customs night that makes Halogaf less insular. But I had a friend's engagement and so couldn't make it. I hope you all had fun. Would love to play with you guys again. Sole reason I joined NeoGAF is for Halogaf.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42/HiredN00bs/ps4_zps1726f35b.png[IMG]

It feels so good to see so much of the Bungie and Destiny promotion being aligned with PlayStation after what Microsoft has done to the Halo and Xbox brands.[/QUOTE]

Blame someone and then blame someone else for unrelated things and then get mad about the whole thing

ps4_zps1726f35b.png

It feels so good to see so much of the Bungie and Destiny promotion being aligned with PlayStation after what Microsoft has done to the Halo and Xbox brands.
I thought Amazon didn't charge till they shipped?

I have this paid off:

Xbox One
Forza Motorsport 5 (that I really need to go upgrade to Limited Edition)
Ryse

Everything else I still need to finish paying.

Nebula

Sorry I didn't make tonight but I've received a call and I found out I'll be starting work soonish so I'm keeping things in check because I don't want to be losing sleep before I even start.

I'm sure you wouldn't want a guy from the UK making it an even bigger lagfest though.

Top Bottom