• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Woorloog

Banned
Many of the levels feel restrictive and linear

Common for all Halos. IMO. Perhaps the playspaces are a tad narrower (making this impression stronger) but ultimately not that much different from other Halos.
Played Reach recently with a friend and nearly all maps bugged me with their restrictive nature (or whenever there was "choice", it was utterly meaningless and usually one way is clearly better than the other).
Halo 4 is still much better than COD in this regard. Or BF3...

The only levels where i ever get feeling of non-linearity (even though the choice is usually meaningless) are The Silent Carthographer (choice does matter here a little actually, you have to fight once or twice at the main entrance depending where you went first) and... well, ODST hub, if i start from it (otherwise it is linear) but this makes the story feel odd.
New Alexandria from Reach is not non-linear, the order can be changed but not chosen freely (you can force the game to choose one of the three main objectives by moving toward one a bit before Kat talks). Also the map sucks, the Falcon's cool but boring used for that long.

EDIT i admit Bungie Halos did have somewhat more open spaces between corridors than Halo 4, but those tended to be meaningless or badly balanced, at least as far as my playstyle is concerned.

CyReN

Gamers of Reddit, what feature in a game was meant to be awesome but for you ruined the game?

Interesting tidbits towards the top:

Quick time events, rarely done right, always overused.

The load out customization and ordinance in Halo 4.

I know it was time for the franchise to move forward, but I liked Halo 3 because everyone started of at square 1 and had to use their knowledge of the map and skill to gather the best weapons in order to get the fastest kills with minimal deaths.

Now when I die it doesn't hit as hard as it did in halo 3, 2, or 1.

-Armor Abilities in the Halo series

Armor lock in Halo. Only cool thing was preventing someone from splattering you and watching them explode.

Everything in the Halo 4 matchmaker, just doesn't feel right

Every feature added in Halo Reach and Halo 4.

My favorite:
Making Console FPS games 'causal' for the people who rarely play. There will never be a comptetive Multiplayer like for example Halo 2 again.

then the reply

You could be stuck at level 28 for 2 weeks in halo 2 and when that day finally came where you were skilled enough to hit level 29 you were fucking pumped. Then the following game your team is total shit and you get dropped back down to 28. Fuckers.

That is the leveling that I want to return in FPS games. I don't want better weapons at higher levels. Set everyone on the same playing field and make them determine their own skill.

I don't see some magical splintering of resources ultimatum where they must choose between Campaign and MP. The "resources" are already in place, the teams are already in place. That said, the only minimalist approach needed for MP is playlist management and removal of the fluff (perks.)

There really isn't a lot that needs to be done gameplay wise. I think 343 nailed that. Its the lack of Rank and the addition of the other pure nonsense. The playlist for H5 should be simple, starting point:

Ranked:
Lone Wolves
Team Slayer
BTB
CTF

Social:
Lone Wolves
Team Slayer
BTB
CTF

^
Just a starting point. Maybe they need to have Ranked be DLC required. Something has to be done to avoid these Forge maps and never seeing DLC maps. Also, No Ordinance, Perks, AA's in Ranked ( I dont know think they will ever drop Sprint)

FyreWulff

Re: multiplayer as a service. Microsoft barely gives the sustain team the manpower to update more than a couple of playlists in Halo 4, their active game, let alone any hours to update Reach and 3. They outsource test and content push to the Cartographers, who in the Bungie era was more an advisory board and less an unpaid QA office of the 343 era.

If Microsoft is so disinterested in being swole ass Microsoft in Halo sustain, they really need to let the community do sustain for them. I don't mean let the community deploy their own playlists, the logistics are impossible there.

- Give players an actually good map editor. Forge, as an object editor, cannot just get another spitshine update and then left to die.

- Give players the ability to write gamescripts, either via an in-game UI or an external program. Shit, make it a Windows 8 exclusive app if you have to justify it to the beancounters, if you really have to.

- Give players access to all the weapon tune knobs. Either via in-game or smartglass/external editor. Also, implement weapon tune from the start this time.

This will let people build ALL of your content -for you-. For free. Sustain can still make their own stuff, but they can take more of a final-stage QA/oversight role on playlists. The community can make their own sandbox adjustments and test them without hoping 343 will provide something, or use the weapon tune in concert with the scripts to make awesome gametypes.

This dripfeed of new gametypes because sustain is giving the minimum amount of backing to operate and the need to package new gametypes with some sort of DLC or promotion is extremely limiting. Let the hardcore do the heavy lifting for matchmaking content, which will keep the less hardcore interested in the game because they're getting constant new content, and your population won't leave because they had to wait 7 months for you to draw up marketing plans before you could release a sandbox update and a reskinned gametype from Reach.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Why not both? Missions that are as linear as some CoD missions with insane, over-the-top Spartan action, but also some missions that have open-ended fights like H3 Scarab battles.

Come to think of it, 343 did a much better job at depicting a Spartan's true potential compared to Bungie. This is what I'd like for them to tap into when I say high action sequences as it wouldn't really make sense to be doing backflips during normal gameplay moments.
I suppose that's a possibility, but I'm not sure how inconsistent the Campaign might come across it could work though.

As for depiction, I wouldn't mind high action cutscenes, but I don't know how I'd feel about QTE's at this point.
There really isn't a lot that needs to be done gameplay wise. I think 343 nailed that. Its the lack of Rank and the addition of the other pure nonsense. The playlist for H5 should be simple, starting point:

-snip
Needs the return of Assault, but yes, it should be simple.

wwm0nkey

Re: multiplayer as a service. Microsoft barely gives the sustain team the manpower to update more than a couple of playlists in Halo 4, their active game, let alone any hours to update Reach and 3. They outsource test and content push to the Cartographers, who in the Bungie era was more an advisory board and less an unpaid QA office of the 343 era.

If Microsoft is so disinterested in being swole ass Microsoft in Halo sustain, they really need to let the community do sustain for them. I don't mean let the community deploy their own playlists, the logistics are impossible there.

- Give players an actually good map editor. Forge, as an object editor, cannot just get another spitshine update and then left to die.

- Give players the ability to write gamescripts, either via an in-game UI or an external program. Shit, make it a Windows 8 exclusive app if you have to justify it to the beancounters, if you really have to.

- Give players access to all the weapon tune knobs. Either via in-game or smartglass/external editor. Also, implement weapon tune from the start this time.

This will let people build ALL of your content -for you-. For free. Sustain can still make their own stuff, but they can take more of a final-stage QA/oversight role on playlists. The community can make their own sandbox adjustments and test them without hoping 343 will provide something, or use the weapon tune in concert with the scripts to make awesome gametypes.

This dripfeed of new gametypes because sustain is giving the minimum amount of backing to operate and the need to package new gametypes with some sort of DLC or promotion is extremely limiting. Let the hardcore do the heavy lifting for matchmaking content, which will keep the less hardcore interested in the game because they're getting constant new content, and your population won't leave because they had to wait 7 months for you to draw up marketing plans before you could release a sandbox update and a reskinned gametype from Reach.
Like I've said, LBP/Project Spark systems for a Halo game would be amazing but will sadly never happen because reasons.

Homeboyd

Playing ranked games in halo 3 again immediately brought back the intensity in matches I've missed for so long... Even when the rank doesn't matter anymore.

The rank must be visible, in-game, and quickly accessible by everyone. That's the point. Obviously this isn't news to anyone and the repercussions of this system are supposedly what's at fault, but it's literally a game changer for me. Unless they're there, I don't give a damn about the match (in a competitive sense). I won't play cautiously, I won't yell call outs, I won't conserve ammo for power weapons, I won't drive teammates to go pick up the objective and I won't care if I die or if I lose the objective... Because it doesn't matter except in the "spirit" of the game.

ePeen rules all and mine HAS TO BE THE BIGGEST

Computer

Playing ranked games in halo 3 again immediately brought back the intensity in matches I've missed for so long... Even when the rank doesn't matter anymore.

The rank must be visible, in-game, and quickly accessible by everyone. That's the point. Obviously this isn't news to anyone and the repercussions of this system are supposedly what's at fault, but it's literally a game changer for me. Unless they're there, I don't give a damn about the match (in a competitive sense). I won't play cautiously, I won't yell call outs, I won't conserve ammo for power weapons, I won't drive teammates to go pick up the objective and I won't care if I die or if I lose the objective... Because it doesn't matter except in the "spirit" of the game.

ePeen rules all and mine HAS TO BE THE BIGGEST

It all about the bragging rights and it has been from the dawn of video games. Otherwise whats that point of being good at a game? This is why you try to get the highest score in Pac Man so you can put your initials on the top of the leader boards then brag about it until someone beats your score. Then you have to beat their score. That is what keeps people playing.

IHaveIce

Banned
Man Team Slayer is soooo good to play if you have decent teammates.

I had to play without sound today but it was ok.

Team Lone Wolves though has so bad gametypes .... Swords, etc

Can't even remember how many times I've replayed the first Halo.
Halo 2, I've replayed the whole campaign at least 5 times.
I've played 159 campaign missions in Halo 3.
ODST is probably pretty close to 100 missions (re)played.
Easily that many if not more for Reach, mainly because of online co-op and late-night drinking.

I'll replay any and all of these games again over the course of my life.

Halo 4, 63 missions played. I'll never touch it again.

Halo 5 will be the first Halo game that I won't be getting at launch, which is fucking sad.

TheOddOne

The Halo 4 campaign is hard to get through again for a lot of reasons and most of those have been discussed. The one aspect I personally dislike about the campaign is that there are not enough variation in the mission and objective structure. It never gives us something new and worthwhile at every corner, but keeps repeating the same stuff over and over. It never feels like it wants to surprise us and kind of thinks the player is contempt with what works and is tried and true. The problem is that even the tried and true formula is not executed all that well.

The whole experience becomes a blur after a while and nothing memorable sticks.

CyReN

I enjoyed the Halo 4 campaign, played it twice though. Half way through solo legendary but I rage quit every time.

On the part of Shutdown when you have to press 3 buttons to keep the floaty thing going.

I enjoyed the Halo 4 campaign, played it twice though. Half way through solo legendary but I rage quit every time.

On the part of Shutdown when you have to press 3 buttons to keep the floaty thing going.

You can skip 85% of the level. Once you get out of the Infinity just fly straight to the third tower. Someone decided not to cover the entire entrance to the final pylon with walls, so even though the structure transforms open for you at the end, you can just get in with no problems - the entire Pelican will make it through the gap.

All of the enemies load like normal but you can pretty much yoink a Banshee and fly straight to the end. The Didact's lines don't load but it'll still register as a level completion.

Should be in every OP going forward. These are some of the most important areas that they need to focus on for Halo 5, whether it's widely acknowledge or not as it's something that could benefit the entire demographic of Halo fans.

Like I've said, LBP/Project Spark systems for a Halo game would be amazing but will sadly never happen because reasons.

Project Spark skinned in Banjo Kazooie love would be PHENOMENAL! Build a solid foundation for platforming with worlds to explore, but also give the players the tools to create their own masterpieces.

That would push Xbox One hardware.

Easily that many if not more for Reach, mainly because of online co-op and late-night drinking.

Going into Campaign MM for Reach "under the influence" was always a blast lol. Just sucks that people would always skip the cutscenes..

CyReN

You can skip 85% of the level. Once you get out of the Infinity just fly straight to the third tower. Someone decided not to cover the entire entrance to the final pylon with walls, so even though the structure transforms open for you at the end, you can just get in with no problems - the entire Pelican will make it through the gap.

All of the enemies load like normal but you can pretty much yoink a Banshee and fly straight to the end. The Didact's lines don't load but it'll still register as a level completion.

Is there a video of it by chance? Might actually hop on tonight and finish it. Think this is it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4V4AWP9j4U

Thanks btw!

wwm0nkey

Project Spark skinned in Banjo Kazooie love would be PHENOMENAL! Build a solid foundation for platforming with worlds to explore, but also give the players the tools to create their own masterpieces.

That would push Xbox One hardware.

I.....I might buy an Xbox for that actually.....

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I.....I might buy an Xbox for that actually.....

*GASP*

Do NOT buy an Xbox One. Are you crazy?! It renders games in 720p, and M$ are an evil corporation who wanted to control our lives and give our secrets to the government. Don't be stupid!

Is there a video of it by chance? Might actually hop on tonight and finish it. Think this is it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4V4AWP9j4U

Thanks btw!

Yep, that's the video. Protips for the rest of the level:

-Once you make it to the "first" encounter, just dispatch all the enemies like normal. There are a bunch of weapons still stockpiled on your Pelican, so weapon-juggle if you feel like going in over-armed.

-The only major hurdle in the first encounter is the Hunters at the end of the grav lift. If you explore a little bit, though, there's an Incineration Cannon hidden on one of the platforms; it's near the Terminal and should have a mancannon that sends you straight to the Hunter platform, if I'm remembering right.

-Once you get to the second area with the "void" underneath, distract / kill the gold Elite running for the Banshee and steal it. Fly low (not too low or you'll hit the death barrier, just get a little ways under / adjacent to the bridges) and go all the way to the bottom door at the end of the major encounter. If you're careful, you can land right next to the door without getting shot to pieces by the turrets / Jackals. As soon as the door opens, jetpack as high as you can and hold forward. It might seem pointless, but as soon as you're above the door, the Covenant outside won't be able to shoot you to death despite being inches from the end of the level. If you go forward in midair the door will be far enough away to shut and then save you.

As a general tip, try and spam the hell out of the Suppressor and the Light Rifle. Even on Legendary, the Suppressor eats through Promethean shields like they're nothing, presumably as a balancing measure. In some of the locations where Covenant weaponry is scarce (beginning of Infinity, etc.) the Suppressor is commonplace so it's ridiculously helpful. The Light Rifle scoped in, by extension, has such a high damage yield (even pre-Turbo, which Campaign still utilizes) it can make short work of most shielded enemies. If I'm remembering right, scoped-in LR 6-shots high-ranking Elites; the green-armored ones, bare minimum.

I've only done Legendary runs a few times, but the one thing that gives me the most trouble is the Knight Battlewagon in the "Portal Hub" on Midnight. That is, the very last time you're in that room, a Knight armed with an Incineration Cannon camps right in front of the final portal. I think the only way I got around it solo was by using Hologram to distract it and then making a blind charge at it with the Suppressor. Other than that, you can just hoard Sticky Det / Shotgun in Composer and turtle / camp with Promethean heavy weapons, the Scattershot, and hardlight shield / autosentry in Midnight's final composer portion.

wwm0nkey

*GASP*

Do NOT buy an Xbox One. Are you crazy?! It renders games in 720p, and M$ are an evil corporation who wanted to control our lives and give our secrets to the government. Don't be stupid!

Already said I am buying one eventually, just only if there is a kinect-less SKU and for $350 or less, also if they have a good line up of exclusives by that time too. PS4/PC will still be my main :p

*GASP*

Gaming Discussion is really scary sometimes, you cant go against the river.

CyReN

Already said I am buying one eventually, just only if there is a kinect-less SKU and for $350 or less, also if they have a good line up of exclusives by that time too. PS4/PC will still be my main :p

I was toying with the idea of ebaying the Kinect 2 at launch to make up the differnce, wonder if there's even a big mark for it, hated the Kinect on 360 and can't seem to like this one. Plus I need a shelf for it.

So a few tidbits about Halo TV

It's got some interactive elements via the controller
It's going to be available on the Xbox (Not sure if this was confirmed) (Not sure if its free or a price is going to be attached)

By the sounds of things its going to be huge, like really big scale. I wonder if Microsoft have shelved Halo Movie for good and are pushing forward with smaller scale content such as FuD and this TV show for the future. Really interesed in how it turns out. A bigger budget, bigger story version of FuD has potential to be great Sci Fi TV

It kills me how slow Bungie continued to make Halo in general, but especially CTF.. Then to see 343 make equally crazy mistakes with that KILL waypoint and undroppable flag...

RIP Halo 1/2 CTF

EDIT:
Yea, I'm ready for no waypoint, full movement and weapons while carrying the flag on your back, the way it always should have been.

I'd prefer the Flagnum without the waypoint, default walk speed, floaty flag physics from Halo 1/2, and the ability to spear people with the flag.

daedalius

It kills me how slow Bungie continued to make Halo in general, but especially CTF.. Then to see 343 make equally crazy mistakes with that KILL waypoint and undroppable flag...

RIP Halo 1/2 CTF

Yea, I'm ready for no waypoint, full movement and weapons while carrying the flag on your back, the way it always should have been.

I can't link to it since I'm on mobile, but did we ever hear Lasky's Theme in its entirety in-game? iirc we only got an ambient bit at the beginning of Shutdown. It's 117 levels of good, if a little understated and Halo Legends-y.

Jinnouchi is really good at bombastic character themes.

I can't link to it since I'm on mobile, but did we ever hear Lasky's Theme in its entirety in-game? iirc we only got an ambient bit at the beginning of Shutdown. It's 117 levels of good, if a little understated and Halo Legends-y.

Jinnouchi is really good at bombastic character themes.

Agreed, his contribution to the game is really understated. Neil's music was really good atmospheric, but Jinnouchi's music was the true star of the show. Sacrifice is my favorite track, it combines some familiar themes and tells the story of Master Chief fairly well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: go Metroid Prime with Halo 5's soundtrack. Have Davidge do ambient underscores for "roaming" and once certain event flags are triggered, for example activating an artifact or working your way down a maintenance tunnel, Jinnouchi comes into play.

That being said, I think Davidge did a really good job at the combat-related themes, so once enemies start getting pissed off, switch from Jinnouchi to Davidge again.

Example of what I mean: Jinnouchi scored 117, but Davidge arranged "Mantis," the theme you hear at the end of the level Infinity and during the vehicle showdown in Composer.

Blueblur1

I'd rather they properly staff 343 and have a developer with manpower and time do it than fans. We should have all the features and gametypes we're used to having. The crap we've gotten is unacceptable.

Toddler

Me and my friends talk about our old LAN parties all the time, but no one wants to tear down their entertainment center or yank their 60' HDTV off the wall and tote it over to each other's house to play. Besides, playing on HDTVs isn't really ideal since Halo CE was built to be played in 4:3 anyway. So I want to build a Halo cabinet.

Thing is, CRT/SD TVs aren't as easy to come by (here in the States at least) as they used to be. Goodwill, Salvation Army, local classifieds, nothing worth perusing. That's when I started wondering about Halo PC.

I've got a local PC builder that sells recycled PCs that I could use for cheap, but I've never played it on the PC before. Anyone here give it a try? Pros/cons? And what about the aspect ratio? Still the same 4:3 as the console version?

FyreWulff

I'd rather they properly staff 343 and have a developer with manpower and time do it than fans. We should have all the features and gametypes we're used to having. The crap we've gotten is unacceptable.

Well, that would be nice. But if MS is going to create an entire company and it still only focuses on one game at a time, it'd be nice if the community could build stuff without hoping 343 can budget time for it and have a place for it in matchmaking to distribute it.

Look at all the gametypes that have been made with very obtuse modding programs. Imagine if they just gave people the actual original tools and established something where they could select gametypes that bubble to the top in addition to what they do internally.

Yeah dude, I suggested this on their forums a whole ago.
The Banjo IP fits perfectly into the Project Spark sandbox.

I'll be really disappointed if 343 doesn't adopt Project Spark tech into Halo 5. I'd be playing Halo 5 for years if they did that, no matter how bad matchmaking launches.

Top Bottom