• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I LOVE assassinations. They're damn satisfying. However, I will say it would be best let people opt out of them because a lot of people perform them accidentally.

A player toggle to disable would be nice. Hey they could do a series of toggles e.g. flag auto pick up :)

I love the diving tackle assassination, too cool.

blamite

Remember when the ball assassinations were hyped, I don't think I've ever seen one.

I've gotten one or two of those, at least. Flagsassinations, on the other hand... How did they expect anyone to get one of those with a big arrow over their head?

Remember when the ball assassinations were hyped, I don't think I've ever seen one.

They look like an uppercut don't they? Never held down the button, always go the quick back smack.

I've gotten one or two of those, at least. Flagsassinations, on the other hand... How did they expect anyone to get one of those with a big arrow over their head?

I think I saved game one of those earlier this week. I'll check and capture to post later tonight (like 5 hours away).

Nice defense leading up to it mate. Queue the jetpack hate...

Madness

I hate assassinations too... Very unnecessary. But I know people love them, so I agree with the toggle system. Let those who like doing them to keep it on, those who don't off.

HTupolev

I've only been happy with assassinations when they punctuated moments that were well beyond ridiculous. Like leaping off of the Spire, hitting a falcon with a plasma pistol overcharge, watching the pilot hop out, and then assassinating him right after he hits the ground. That sort of thing.

For the most part assassinations seem like an inelegant mechanic to make up for the meh-ness of melee aesthetics in modern Halo games. Reach's at least feel mostly coherent alongside the game, though; I'm convinced that Halo 4's are polished versions of animations rejected from a goofy gmod machinima.

i wish they would get rid of the assassination animations entirely
NvnOgtC.png

Omni

We made the square and circle a little closer, so they’re the same distance as all the buttons. That saves horizontal space to have more for the touchpad.
Wut.

It was probably offset by less than a mm. If you want to get technical, sure, they're saving space. But it's so little it wouldn't have made any damn difference anyway. It confuses me as to why they'd even bring it up.

blamite

Wut.

It was probably offset by less than a mm. If you want to get technical, sure, they're saving space. But it's so little it wouldn't have made any damn difference anyway. It confuses me as to why they'd even bring it up.

It matters. The Y and A buttons on the Wii U's gamepad are spaced farther apart than the other buttons and it's a little annoying. It's a small thing but it still improves the overall feel.

I had a lot of cool moments in Halo 3 and Reach yesterday. For example, in 3, I snagged a double kill in SWAT with a single BR shot in this crazy sweep, and then later in Reach I got a Showstopper with the Focus Rifle. It made me miss video rendering on Bungie.net and made me even more excited for the new consoles and their capture solutions.

I'm going to get Killzone, but I have to admit, I'm not really excited about the visual style (it's too busy coming from Halo) nor the look of the gameplay in multiplayer (looks too much like Call of Duty). However, they're doing so many other things in a more interesting way: free DLC, all guns available from start, no logo reel at start-up, and a matchmaking system built around custom games and player feedback. I feel like these kinds of steps should be rewarded, so I'll definitely give the campaign a playthrough and the multiplayer a decent chance.

Omni

It matters. The Y and A buttons on the Wii U's gamepad are spaced farther apart than the other buttons and it's a little annoying. It's a small thing but it still improves the overall feel.
Was thinking from a design standpoint. They've saved next to no room moving the buttons in a little... So the comment seems a bit like a whole load of nothing. But knowing the source, who knows what the original context was.

Regardless, I didn't notice it on the DS3. But to each their own.

All those DS4 impressions are making me excited for next-gen. Not upgrading straight away, nor am I getting a PS4... But it's nice to read reviews and such without the massive console war shit that is ever so apparent on every forum ever.

Fuchsdh

What does this mean?
That people more connected than me know stuff, and won't say anything beyond that they know stuff.

Which is pretty annoying.

Still, if they're hearing it I assume we won't have a very long wait before it trickles down. It's been nearly six months since the announcement so at the least I assume they're into pre-pro.

TheOddOne

That people more connected than me know stuff, and won't say anything beyond that they know stuff.

Which is pretty annoying.

Still, if they're hearing it I assume we won't have a very long wait before it trickles down. It's been nearly six months since the announcement so at the least I assume they're into pre-pro.
This does not sound good.

/Pessimist hat

Fracas

#fuckonami
If people are learning about the game, seems we'll find out something soon enough.

Maybe a spot at the VGAs? There could be a leak.

Tawpgun

They might have been doable if YOU DIDN'T HAVE A FUCKING BEACON ON TOP OF YOUR PLAYER THAT EVERYONE CAN SEE.

I guess ball has always had that but CTF is stupid. Halo 5 best realize its mistake.

So guys, time to predict the future!

Halo 5, do you think 343 will be up front and honest about their
shit
improvements and changes to Halo, or will they hold off discussing anything and out first bit of Info will be from a leak from a company 5 months from launch?

Tawpgun

shit
improvements and changes to Halo, or will they hold off discussing anything and out first bit of Info will be from a leak from a company 5 months from launch?

If and BIG IF they reverse a lot of the decisions they won't say OOPS WE WERE DUMB, they'll just say "based on player feedback...we found this way to be more optimal...."

I honestly have no idea about the direction of Halo 5. They could either tone the stupid decisions back or just continue full steam ahead with more bullshit. Lots of baffling decisions were made by Halo 4, even post launch, that don't make me confident in the sequel. Gotta see some gameplay.

Omni

shit

We'll get a doco about how they've learnt from Halo 4... Things we liked, things we didn't like... blah blah blah. Might even touch upon how Halo 5 is made by people who love Halo. Then we'll see a stripped down version of the game: Just a Spartan and his BR outshooting another Spartan with a heavily nerfed and modified Jetpack - so that people will see and think "Hey, 343i is FINALLY listening!" - on the only arena-type map in the game.

and everyone here will be happy. And Frankie and David will start posting again.

and then Game Informer will advise us of the new armour abilities, care packages and tactical mountain dew strategisers that come with preordering the game at select retailers. And then everyone will be mad again - bringing us full circle.

gAg CruSh3r

They might have been doable if YOU DIDN'T HAVE A FUCKING BEACON ON TOP OF YOUR PLAYER THAT EVERYONE CAN SEE.

I guess ball has always had that but CTF is stupid. Halo 5 best realize its mistake.

I agreed.. I miss going into the enemy's base getting a double kill and taking that flag back to the base like a boss.

If and BIG IF they reverse a lot of the decisions they won't say OOPS WE WERE DUMB, they'll just say "based on player feedback...we found this way to be more optimal...."

I honestly have no idea about the direction of Halo 5. They could either tone the stupid decisions back or just continue full steam ahead with more bullshit. Lots of baffling decisions were made by Halo 4, even post launch, that don't make me confident in the sequel. Gotta see some gameplay.
I want to BELI343 that things will change, but when I consider that THE CLOSEST we freaking got to an apology is Franklin's letter back in December saying "We're sorry but hey we did an amazing job! We're great and we're proud of ourselves!" doesn't give me much hope that 343 has learned.

Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than to be wrong. I want nothing more but for Halo 5 to be an amazing game that resparks the love and enjoyment I had playing Halo 3 back in 2007. But after being burned by Reach and 4... Its kind of hard to believe.

If 343 does bring back armor abilities/perks/etc I hope they're up front about it. I really don't want to see good Halo gameplay, then have it ruined a couple months later by an IGN exclusive revealing MAC Blast kill streaks.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member

shit

We are pleased to announce the release of Halo-Cod 2. The sequel to the record breaking Halo-CoD, the most successful Halo game to date.

We pride ourselves on welcoming new players to the franchise. After the roaring success of Halo-CoD we have built upon our previous innovations and improvements to the franchise. Halo-CoD 2 will be more accessible and rewarding than ever. Some of our groundbreaking changes:

We have reduced movement speed by 20%. We felt some players were abusing the game mechanics by strafing to throw off their opponents aim, we consider this unsporting so have made it less effective.

Weapon balancing changes. In previous Halo games there was a lot of diversity in the sandbox. We know some players have a hard time with all the different characterisitcs so we are making most weapons behave similarly. We also feel automatic weapons are under used so to address this problem we are increasing the damage output of all automatic weapons by 20%.

We are adding 5 new gameplay revolutionizing armour abilities and 5 new perks to give you the edge over your opponent.

Shields. We have decided to remove shields completely to add more realism to the game. This will make for much more satisfying combat when your opponent can no longer out-shoot you after you get the drop on them.

We have also removed headshot bonuses as winning encounters on the basis of accuracy is cheap and cowardly.

We have increased melee lung distance by 100%. It just makes more sense that a super soldier spartan can do super lunges.

We have overhauled the ranking system. All ranks will be earned by accruing exp. No longer will we promote the unfair notion that people who are good at the game can achieve higher ranks. Ranks are for everybody in this age of equality, especially if you like your Mountain Dew!

With Halo-CoD 2 we are innovating more than ever with the way experience points are earned. You will now get experience points for:

Running for a total of 50m without dying.

Succesfully entering the driver's side of a warthog.

Dying spree. Endure 5 deaths in a row and you will be rewarded for your dedication.

Hiding without receiving damage for 1 minute.

Newt

We are pleased to announce the release of Halo-Cod 2. The sequel to the record breaking Halo-CoD, the most successful Halo game to date.

We pride ourselves on welcoming new players to the franchise. After the roaring success of Halo-CoD we have built upon our previous innovations and improvements to the franchise. Halo-CoD 2 will be more accessible and rewarding than ever. Some of our groundbreaking changes:

We have reduced movement speed by 20%. We felt some players were abusing the game mechanics by strafing to throw off their opponents aim, we consider this unsporting so have made it less effective.

Weapon balancing changes. In previous Halo games there was a lot of diversity in the sandbox. We know some players have a hard time with all the different characterisitcs so we are making most weapons behave similarly. We also feel automatic weapons are under used so to address this problem we are increasing the damage output of all automatic weapons by 20%.

We are adding 5 new gameplay revolutionizing armour abilities and 5 new perks to give you the edge over your opponent.

Shields. We have decided to remove shields completely to add more realism to the game. This will make for much more satisfying combat when your opponent can no longer out-shoot you after you get the drop on them.

We have also removed headshot bonuses as winning encounters on the basis of accuracy is cheap and cowardly.

We have increased melee lung distance by 100%. It just makes more sense that a super soldier spartan can do super lunges.

We have overhauled the ranking system. All ranks will be earned by accruing exp. No longer will we promote the unfair notion that people who are good at the game can achieve higher ranks. Ranks are for everybody in this age of equality, especially if you like your Mountain Dew!

With Halo-CoD 2 we are innovating more than ever with the way experience points are earned. You will now get experience points for:

Running for a total of 50m without dying.

Succesfully entering the driver's side of a warthog.

Dying spree. Endure 5 deaths in a row and you will be rewarded for your dedication.

Hiding without receiving damage for 1 minute.
Pretty good, but you missed something key out.

"We feel like the infinity system didn't feel impactful, so we've added MAC strikes in infinity's arsenal. Teams that are further behind have a higher chance of receiving this deadly weapon."

I have been as negative as anyone but I really dont think 343 is just going to shit out a next gen Halo 4. Nothing they tried to do boosted population over the entire year and they tried everything. They need to consider a Maps are free model like Killzone, Halo has never gotten DLC right. If they put a Ranked, no perks, no AA's playlist first I think it will be fine. They can have AA's just leave all that shit in Social.

This is where they can really catch on, building everything behind a ranked experience. Shit, I think they should make Ranked DLC and Mic required. At first it sounds crazy but nobody else is doing that, it's like a social, casual shit fest out there. Remember, Xbone comes with Kinect and a headset also.

Newt

I have been as negative as anyone but I really dont think 343 is just going to shit out a next gen Halo 4. Nothing they tried to do boosted population over the entire year and they tried everything. They need to consider a Maps are free model like Killzone, Halo has never gotten DLC right. If they put a Ranked, no perks, no AA's playlist first I think it will be fine. They can have AA's just leave all that shit in Social.

This is where they can really catch on, building everything behind a ranked experience. Shit, I think they should make Ranked DLC and Mic required. At first it sounds crazy but nobody else is doing that, it's like a social, casual shit fest out there. Remember, Xbone comes with Kinect and a headset also.
They made some nice changes to Reach. And then they released Halo 4.

Pretty good, but you missed something key out.

"We feel like the infinity system didn't feel impactful, so we've added MAC strikes in infinity's arsenal. Teams that are further behind have a higher chance of receiving this deadly weapon."

A BF-Halo game needs to happen. I can't help but to think how awesome it would be on the scale of BF with the crazy moments that happens in Halo's sandbox.

Omni

creep2xx6p.gif

A BF-Halo game needs to happen. I can't help but to think how awesome it would be on the scale of BF with the crazy moments that happens in Halo's sandbox.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Halo-CoD sucked, Halo-BF wouldn't do it as good as Battlefield would.

Halo needs to be its OWN FUCKING GAME.

Top Bottom