• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey yall, I've been thinking. I want to avoid pretty much any and all campaign info, but I'd really like to nerd out with you all on whatever multiplayer reveals / footage we get from E3. How would you all feel about having a No Campaign Info But Tons of Multiplayer Info thread? Would that be possible? Desirable? Sexy
(included that one for Elzar)
?

I'm not sure how Spartan Ops will fit into the mix. Most of the SpOps missions will be before the events of Halo 4, so any reveal we get at E3 probably won't feature new enemies. So, I'd be okay with it being discussed in the side thread.

I guess the things I mostly want to avoid are:
- Campaign plot info.
- New enemies.
- New enemy weapons. (Might be hard, assuming they'll be seen in the MP demos.)
- New vehicles. (Again, these might be seen in MP).

I'm really excited about the new directions Halo 4 will be going in fiction wise, and I want to avoid any info that'll diminish the mysterious, unknown element of the new enemies. That's pretty much my biggest concern.

If yall don't think this'll work, that's fine. I'll just try my best to stay out of the Halo threads.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
With shotgun as a primary I fail to see how it could.

I would have to doubt you've played it then.

Hey yall, I've been thinking. I want to avoid pretty much any and all campaign info, but I'd really like to nerd out with you all on whatever multiplayer reveals / footage we get from E3. How would you all feel about having a No Campaign Info But Tons of Multiplayer Info thread? Would that be possible? Desirable? Sexy
?

I'm not sure how Spartan Ops will fit into the mix. Most of the SpOps missions will be before the events of Halo 4, so any reveal we get at E3 probably won't feature new enemies. So, I'd be okay with it being discussed in the side thread.

- Campaign plot info.
- New enemies.

I'm really excited about the new directions Halo 4 will be going in fiction wise, and I want to avoid any info that'll diminish the mysterious, unknown element of the new enemies. That's pretty much my biggest concern.

If yall don't think this'll work, that's fine. I'll just try my best to stay out of the Halo threads.

Typically HaloGAF threads are pretty good with spoilers. I think you would be fine here in the community thread.

I've played it. Don't act like 99% of the fights aren't shotgun battles.

What you said was that Gears didn't take skill, which is a dumb comment and makes it sound like you haven't played. I would agree that being good - hell, even being competitive - in Gears takes more skill than any other popular console shooter. The learning curve is more of a cliff face than a curve. Probably a big reason why it doesn't have the population of BF3/COD/Halo.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What you said was that Gears didn't take skill, which is a dumb comment and makes it sound like you haven't played. I would agree that being good - hell, even being competitive - in Gears takes more skill than any other popular console shooter. The learning curve is more of a cliff face than a curve. Probably a big reason why it doesn't have the population of BF3/COD/Halo.

This is exactly right IMO.

I believe this is also a reason the Halo popularity isn't as high either. People want to get on and "own" shit right away and be rewarded. If you aren't "good" you don't get that with Halo or Gears.

You simply get your face smashed into the ground.

?

- Campaign plot info.
- New enemies.

I'm in the same camp. I'm all about multiplayer and the details of SpOps, but the parts that relate directly to the campaign (story, enemies, etc) I'd like to stay away from. I'll be reading the thread with my good eye closed.

I never said it didn't take skill, i said it didn't take the most skill.

That's what you would think until you try it.

Already been covered.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
da fuck, E3 sure snuck up me.. It's NEXT week?

That's going to be a lot of Halo 4 news to digest, I can only assume.

Any GAF'ers going to E3 this year?

Oh, last post. Great fun

i wish. i remember going years back during the EPIC not-to-be halo 2 unveiling and staying around in the evening for the "fan fest" thing. sadly, it started considerably later than listed and a buddy i went with was hanging out without a pass waiting for me, so i didnt stick around much other than to pop in and get shwag and say hello. funny, the thing that sticks out most in my mind was having jaime griesemer have to yell at some of the people in line for getting unruly.

Fracas

#fuckonami
For those that aren't comfortable with reading campaign spoilers, instead of making a new thread, we could just spoiler tag anything campaign related if you want. I'm fine with a new thread too, doesn't really matter to me as long as everyone is happy with it.

Shotgun is the BR of Gears MP. Takes the most skill to use that gun. Clearly you never played good players/weren't good with it yourself. Find a gears montage.

Outside of the sniper or something, of course.
I'm probably doing it wrong, but only gun I use in that game is the Retro Lancer. That thing destroys everything. I rarely even see other people using it, wtf. Pace your shots, and it kills in half the time that it takes the regular Lancer.

From the E3 GIF thread, a humorous reminder to keep (non-Halo 4) expectations in check.

e3_microsoft_tds_v5j67sf.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lol, Napsta is that guy who sucks at a game and therefore says it "sucks" or is "boring" or a "shotgun fest" or eludes at the lack of skill it takes for exactly that reason.

For those that aren't comfortable with reading campaign
spoilers, instead of making a new thread, we could just spoiler tag anything campaign related if you want. I'm fine with a new thread too, doesn't really matter to me as long as everyone is happy with it.

We are usually good about that stuff, as "sensitive" stuff gets out most of these threads are covered in more black ink than Noble 6's file.

I'm probably doing it wrong, but only gun I use in that game is the Retro Lancer. That thing destroys everything. I rarely even see other people using it, wtf. Pace your shots, and it kills in half the time that it takes the regular Lancer.

It's made for people who can't get kills with the shotgun, same with the sawed off. Most people don't want to use it because it's a crutch.

This is exactly right IMO.

I believe this is also a reason the Halo popularity isn't as high either. People want to get on and "own" shit right away and be rewarded. If you aren't "good" you don't get that with Halo or Gears.

You simply get your face smashed into the ground.
They can go play Living Dead lol

Fracas

#fuckonami
It's made for people who can't get kills with the shotgun, same with the sawed off. Most people don't want to use it because it's a crutch.

Haha, dang now I feel like a scrub.
And yeah, I suck hard with the shotgun. Although I definitely appreciate the stuff people can do with it, especially with all the acrobatics.

Too much effort for those who simply want to spam their shotgun

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Haha, dang now I feel like a scrub.
And yeah, I suck hard with the shotgun. Although I definitely appreciate the stuff people can do with it, especially with all the acrobatics.

Eh, it is what it is. If it wasn't there people like you would have less of a fun time. People who played the shit out of it like me learned to cope, but it still gets us sometimes.

lol "someone doesn't like a game, they must be bad at it"

You so mad bro.

You're really not good at trolling, just like you're not good at Gears. ;)

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't like Gears because 3rd person shooters are really clumsy to control, especially in close quarters which is where most action seems to happen in Gears. Not my thing.

Don't feel bad. Gears 3 made the rifles relevant again and the Retro is as good a choice as any.

Outside of the sniper or something, of course.

For me, that damn Gears sniper is THE most difficult console shooter weapon to use correctly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tried to add HaloGAF's clan in Max Payne 3. It's fun! (and heavily unbalanced, Bungie am cry)

I intended to play it, but it was just too crazy looking for me. Plus Ghost Recon.

You don't have to be good at a game to have an opinion of it. Plenty of people suck at Gears and yet enjoy it.

The discussion is more based on the "skill" required.

Edit: Also, if this is him, he doesn't even have Gears 3, and never played it. http://live.xbox.com/en-US/Activity?compareTo=The Real Napsta

And finally, Waypoint address the Pre-Order bonuses in this weeks bulletin.

Konami conference at 8am tomorrow too!

Damn, Germany must be in a time delay. ;)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GTTV E3 Pre-Show tonight. New Star Wars game, Tomb Raider footage. Silly Metal Gear Ninja game. New game reveals.

E3 Hype levels approaching silly levels.

Evidently late. I blame the Waypoint twitter. >_>
Also, Ireland dawg.

GTTV E3 Pre-Show tonight. New Star Wars game, Tomb Raider footage. Silly Metal Gear Ninja game. New game reveals.

E3 Hype levels approaching silly levels.
Konami conference at 8am tomorrow too!

Totally forgot Monday is a bank holiday. Awesome! Can't wait to watch the conference on Live in the sexy exclusive party.

Tawpgun

For me, that damn Gears sniper is THE most difficult console shooter weapon to use correctly.

I agree with that. At least with the visual bloom Gears shows, I now know that you have to stand still to be accurate with it. But something about the hit detection on the thing feels weird to me. I'm more of a torque bow guy.

I don't like Gears because 3rd person shooters are really clumsy to control, especially in close quarters which is where most action seems to happen in Gears. Not my thing.
Fair enough. All I know is I feel Gears has perfect control. Feels very fluid and you feel incredibly free despite being more or less grounded and restricted by the walls.

I used to feel like you when I started playing. Compared to Halo, I felt like I was always stuck and restricted. Then I got better at it, understood the movement and wallbouncing, and it was amazing.

Overdoziz

Banned
Fair enough. All I know is I feel Gears has perfect control. Feels very fluid and you feel incredibly free despite being more or less grounded and restricted by the walls.

I used to feel like you when I started playing. Compared to Halo, I felt like I was always stuck and restricted. Then I got better at it, understood the movement and wallbouncing, and it was amazing.
Pressing A to sprint only makes things worse. Hate that so much.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'd rather play AR starts on Hemorrhage with the Scorpion still on the map.

Aww. :(

The new Gears better be radically different because the series is feeling tired in my opinion. Also I don't find the story interesting at all.

Why does the Falcon always display 1000 enemies on the radar?

Story is shit, and I agree, I don't play anymore because I'm bored, and I have a lot of friends who still play. I'll probably go back and play in a bit. But right now it's Halo and Ghost Recon.

darthbob

The new Gears better be radically different because the series is feeling tired in my opinion. Also I don't find the story interesting at all.

Why does the Falcon always display 1000 enemies on the radar?

The radar gets expanded to like 200m even though this isn't reflected in the HUD.

Top Bottom