• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

CyReN

Thinking about the oddball throwing the more I love it, let's say I have it and someone coming towards me with a power weapon like the rockets, I put on Promethean Vision and see them come by the corner. I throw the ball right at the rocket guy feet or directly at him and he picks its up (if you played Halo 1 oddball you know how to "troll" with it) and then I can finish him off before he can drop/throw the oddball. Now I have rockets and the oddball.

willow ve

Thinking about the oddball throwing the more I love it, let's say I have it and someone coming towards me with a power weapon like the rockets, I put on Promethean Vision and see them come by the corner. I throw the ball right at the rocket guy feet or directly at him and he picks its up (if you played Halo 1 oddball you know how to "troll" with it) and then I can finish him off before he can drop/throw the oddball. Now I have rockets and the oddball.

Maybe they'll eliminate AA's for someone holding the oddball? Like how territories works in Reach.

Would anybody be interested in doing a Halo 2 Vista game night? Maybe this weekend?
I still have it installed, and I have a wired 360 controller now. I'll be down for that if nothing else springs up.

Now if there was a way to set BJ-like controls in H2V. Maybe through some convoluted Joy2Key setup resulting in keyboard and controller hybrid inputs?

IIRC I read something where camo users are outlined but they are not solid colors like normal players.

I think that's the case for one of the specializations that you unlock later in the game, but I haven't seen anything specific regarding how Active Camo interacts with PV. I'd like to think that PV is the counter for Camo rather than the other way around...

Mobility, Dexterity, and Shielding shouldn't be in the game at all. I'm fine with all of the perks except for those 3.

ipFYACgDMauQc.png

found on my HDD, had to post

Indeed, I feel like Jetpacks won't be as much of a problem with bloom gone though. 9/10 times when I would die to a jetpacker it was because they went up, and bloom just goes haywire and refuses to acknowledge headshots for some reason.
Definitely. The jetpack itself is nerfed significantly, and all the weapons kills faster than in the previous couple of Halo games. Will some people still find it annoying? Probably, but I have a hard time from my impressions of it this weekend (used it myself as well) thinking of it as significantly game or map altering like it was in Reach.
Did anyone at PAX get to use the Concussion Rifle, and if so is it any different? Also, those who went to PAX- Are there any weapons we didn't really know about? From videos we have seen the Binary Rifle and Incinerator Cannon in action, and we saw an image of the Concussion Rifle as a weapon drop. Oh, and we also saw the Beam Rifle in action for a little bit.

We still need to see the Regen Field in action... Any impressions on how that thing worked? And what about the Boltshot.. Was anyone able to use that successfully and if so what is it like?

I used the concussion rifle, still 3 sk and 6 shot clip, but it honestly felt more like the bruteshot than the Reach concussion rifle. It fired significantly faster than the concussion rifle, and I was never on the other end of it, but it seemed like it didn't have the insane kickback effect of the Reach one. It honestly felt like a skin on the bruteshot.

I had posted short impressions of the regen ealier, as well as incinerator cannon. Big write-up tonight (I swear this time!). I'll cover all the weapons and abilities that used.

Definitely. The jetpack itself is nerfed significantly, and all the weapons kills faster than in the previous couple of Halo games. Will some people still find it annoying? Probably, but I have a hard time from my impressions of it this weekend (used it myself as well) thinking of it as significantly game or map altering like it was in Reach.
Can you still shoot while jetpacking?

I think that's the case for one of the specializations that you unlock later in the game, but I haven't seen anything specific regarding how Active Camo interacts with PV. I'd like to think that PV is the counter for Camo rather than the other way around...

Yeah if AC does that then part of the specializations purpose would be weakened. There is those times where you don't have camo on that is covered, but I don't think that would be enough to include it in a specialization. At that point redundancy makes the synergistic relationship less appetizing.

But I did hear somewhere that Hologram and Active Camo are intended to be counters to PV.

Awesome.
What is the main difference between the FRG and incinerator canon?

Didn't get a chance to use the FRG, but assuming it's similar to previous games, I'd compare the incinerator cannon more closely to the Rocket Launcher. Incinerator Cannon is one shot before you have to reload, but that one shot is an absolute missile of death. Shoots a rocket out and then on the impact, it has a secondary physics-based explosion of more promethean incineration stuff. I believe it had 3 shots of ammo on pickup.

Louis Wu

60fps

Why are you playing with my emotions?!
Heh. That's not because the game was running at 60fps - it's because the recording device (a ballin' Aja Ki Pro - and no, you can't afford it, it'll run you $4k) records at 60fps. Sorry. :)

Is this the original file or ripped from youtube? (on phone can't download right now anyway)
The original file uncompressed.
Well... not exactly 'uncompressed' - just not YOUTUBE-compressed. (The original file from the Ki Pro was 14GB. I re-encoded with x264 down to 10000kbps, because 1GB is FAR easier to distribute than 14.)

To Aggrotek - I'm currently downloading Plywood's links - Part 4 seems to be perfectly fine. I'm guessing something went wrong for you the first time you tried it, and your browser has cached the bad data. :( Try force-reloading that link. (Part 1 is going pretty slowly, but I have all the rest. If the RAR doesn't recombine, I'll edit this post.)

I used the concussion rifle, still 3 sk and 6 shot clip, but it honestly felt more like the bruteshot than the Reach concussion rifle. It fired significantly faster than the concussion rifle, and I was never on the other end of it, but it seemed like it didn't have the insane kickback effect of the Reach one. It honestly felt like a skin on the bruteshot.
Does it still look exactly like the Reach one, color and all?

TCKaos

Some of those helmets are just infuriatingly redundant or have some of the weirdest looking designs ever. Most of them look like you're wearing balls or a brick on your face. I mean, look at Mark VI, Warrior, War Master, Recon, Scout and Recruit for a second. To me, those are the best looking helmets so far. They've got a nice combination of curves and edges that flow in a way that makes sense to make them look both practical and appealing. Scanner actually has a pretty nice look to it, even if the tape deck looks a bit goofy.

Then you have Operator... which looks like a ball. That's all I've got to describe it. It's a ball with a viewport. And you've got Oceanic... which is a ball with a viewport. Somebody sanded down the Gungnir helmet so that the overhanging visor-ish portion is round for no real reason, and it looks like somebody smashed EOD's face in on the pavement. The face is flat and curvy now. Hey, CIO doesn't look bad! It's even got... three glowing holes where there should be a visor. And at least Engineer has... a plate with four bolts where the visor should be, and a small glow stick taped to said plate for a visor. Pioneer has two strange saucers instead of a visor.

I mean, I just don't understand them. Why do you need a visor where your mouth is? Why are there some areas where clearly there should be visors where there aren't any? Is replacing a visor with a small strip of reflective paper or three glowing buttons standard protocol for GEN2 Mjolnir? Are the chest pieces actually protective, or are they all circular china plates glued to under-armor? Nearly all of them seem identical to me. I honestly can't tell most of them apart.

I understand I haven't had time to actually sit down and watch these armors in action, but I just don't like these previews. I mean, at the very least shouldn't 343 change the default menu/idle animation to make them more appealing? Change the lighting and rendering effects on them to make them look even a little bit better?

I just want my Mark V. Just please give me my undamaged Mark V and we'll be square.

That's unfortunate.

Jetpack has been nerfed considerably, though. You can't just hang out in the stratosphere for 20 seconds at a time anymore raining down grenades on everybody whilst avoiding headshots because of your angle.

It's more for facilitating vertical map movement in short bursts now, which is how it should have been in the first place.

Oh, and we finally figured out why the game says there is 15 primary weapons, some of them have weapon skins and they are listed as a selection in the weapon list with a skin.

Woorloog

Banned
Just how many armor pieces does Halo 4 have? Kinda looks like it is going to have far more than Reach has, even if you count the attachements as invidual, unique pieces.

Oh, and we finally figured out why the game says there is 15 primary weapons, some of them have weapon skins and they are listed as a selection in the weapon list with a skin.
Interesting.

The Light Rifle is selectable? Nice. Looks like my weapon of choice is going to be clear.

Jetpack has been nerfed considerably, though. You can't just hang out in the stratosphere for 20 seconds at a time anymore raining down grenades on everybody whilst avoiding headshots because of your angle.

It's more for facilitating vertical map movement in short bursts now, which is how it should have been in the first place.
The other things that serve to augment movement, sprint and thrust, don't allow you to use weapons while they're active; it just seems contradictory that this would. I can't speak for its range of use currently, but if it has to be in I'd prefer it to be solely for navigation rather than letting you spring to the highpoint in combat.

nillapuddin

IMG_5219.JPG

I really really hope they change this.

I don't want to have to tilt my head to read any information about the players.

you dont have to!

it only shows vertically for the player cards your NOT currently looking at?

I think thats actually kinda cool, as previously stated, very baseball cardy

I had posted short impressions of the regen ealier, as well as incinerator cannon. Big write-up tonight (I swear this time!). I'll cover all the weapons and abilities that used.

Ah, ok, so did you like the Concussion Rifle more than Reach? Sounds like it could be a really cool gun if it fills the Brute Shots role a bit more. I must have missed your Regen and Incinerator Cannon impression..Im gonna go look for those.

Didn't get a chance to use the FRG, but assuming it's similar to previous games, I'd compare the incinerator cannon more closely to the Rocket Launcher. Incinerator Cannon is one shot before you have to reload, but that one shot is an absolute missile of death. Shoots a rocket out and then on the impact, it has a secondary physics-based explosion of more promethean incineration stuff. I believe it had 3 shots of ammo on pickup.

Ok, that sounds pretty cool.

That makes me sad.. And its weird that they designate skins as separate weapons rather than just having a button to toggle through skins.

So, we have:

BR
DMR
AR
Carbine
Storm Rifle
Light Rifle
Promethean Surpressor

Pistol
Plasma Pistol
Boltshot

Frag
Plasma
Promethean Nade

Gui_PT

you dont have to!

it only shows vertically for the player cards your NOT currently looking at?

I think thats actually kinda cool, as previously stated, very baseball cardy

So if I want to read all the gamertags and whatnot, I have to go through all of them instead of just looking at them?

That's dumb.

PS: I know that's how that works by the way, I just don't like it. If I'm playing BTB I'll have to go through a 16 player list while all I had to do in the other Halos was look at the screen.

The other things that serve to augment movement, sprint and thrust, don't allow you to use weapons while they're active; it just seems contradictory that this would. I can't speak for its range of use currently, but if it has to be in I'd prefer it to be solely for navigation rather than letting you spring to the highpoint in combat.

I definitely understand how you feel. I'd rather it be gone completely. At least it should be a lot less problematic than in Reach, though.

kylej

Banned
IMG_5219.JPG

I really really hope they change this.

I don't want to have to tilt my head to read any information about the players.

Such a monumental step back from Reach's lobby system. A couple artists running rampant are allowed to throwaway an iconic system. Crazy stuff.

Really pleased that in the space I previously could have seen 3 friends online via Active Roster, there's now just a spot that says YOU ARE ON RED TEAM. Maybe 343 can have the announcer tell me what team I'm on when I enter the lobby, too.

So as an avid Active Camo user, below is a compiled list of all observed active camo changes and my analysis of how it will affect gameplay. These are all predictions and what I've seen from the videos and most of them I am pretty sure of. :) The main reference is this video, but there are others I've noticed things like Nexy's LR gameplay and NakedEli's attempt at camo to "sneak into their base" *shakes head*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FHG4Y4l5UQ

Some cool points about Camo. Definitely going to test it out as a main AA now that we have default Sprint and the dots are more effective.

Final image dump. Off screen and a bit blurry in cases. I'll set up a dedicated album when I get home Wednesday.

Thoughts on the SAW?

To Aggrotek - I'm currently downloading Plywood's links - Part 4 seems to be perfectly fine. I'm guessing something went wrong for you the first time you tried it, and your browser has cached the bad data. :( Try force-reloading that link. (Part 1 is going pretty slowly, but I have all the rest. If the RAR doesn't recombine, I'll edit this post.)

Worked fine for me. I downloaded all the parts, then extracted them together.

I can definitely get behind this. It would be just for opening up options mainly. You basically can't fire your gun while you are actively holding down the button because your hands are tied up working the jetpack. :) You can still fire in the air, just not while actively ascending.

willow ve

I can definitely get behind this. It would be just for opening up options mainly. You basically can't fire your gun while you are actively holding down the button because your hands are tied up working the jetpack. :) You can still fire in the air, just not while actively ascending.

Wouldn't that depend somewhat on the controller scheme you're using?

Such a monumental step back from Reach's lobby system. A couple artists running rampant are allowed to throwaway an iconic system. Crazy stuff.

Really pleased that in the space I previously could have seen 3 friends online via Active Roster, there's now just a spot that says YOU ARE ON RED TEAM. Maybe 343 can have the announcer tell me what team I'm on when I enter the lobby, too.

I kind of agree, the instantly accessible active roster promoted more accidental "HEY XXXXX IS ON!!!" which encouraged more accidental friend play. Now you have to actively want to look at your roster which means less social interaction unless it is intended.

I don't normally do this because it's a bit...um...worthless and tiring to discuss theoretical gameplay impacts without having played the game, but on this point I do feel like engaging only because I love the freedom offered by no fall damage.

From my experience with the jetpack in Reach, and the videos I've seen of it in Halo 4, the jetpack doesn't do as well as no fall damage in promoting vertical map movement without any of the map-breaking downsides. I know Mr. David, much appreciatively, said that there probably isn't a jump you can make in the maps where you'll experience fall damage (I don't believe he said anything about a stun). Additionally, I know he said you'll experience it under extraneous circumstances (mancannon + jetpack). But if that's the case, if fall damage is something you'll rarely experience, why is it in there to begin with? If it's a balance to the jetpack, why not only turn it on for jetpack users (if that can be done)? Seems like it would be a great way to help balance jetpack as an AA.

The mancannons in Halo 4 seem to operate like the mancannons in Reach, sadly: propelling you in a safe, low, and deliberate way so as to avoid fall damage or any danger. Reach mancannons were not fun for these reasons. Halo 3's mancannons were fun because they launched you high into the air, exposing you to an element of danger (thereby adding risk and a bit of an adrenaline rush), and being able to land safely to engage in battle immediately.

nillapuddin

So if I want to read all the gamertags and whatnot, I have to go through all of them instead of just looking at them?

That's dumb.

PS: I know that's how that works by the way, I just don't like it. If I'm playing BTB I'll have to go through a 16 player list while all I had to do in the other Halos was look at the screen.

Well I mean if your cemented into that position I obviously cant change your mind, but I hope your exaggerating when you say youll have to turn your head.

You have a smart human brain I doubt it will ever be a problem

I regret that you dont take to it, its undoubtedly what (we) will be looking at the next couple years

Wouldn't that depend somewhat on the controller scheme you're using?

I meant your spartan's hands, not your actual hands. lol... as a context requirement for why you can't fire while you are jetpacking. Wish I understood the context of having a pistol come out of nowhere when I grab the flag. Why can't I have it come out of nowhere when I run out of ammo. :p

DesertFox

I thought Halo 3's lobby was WAY better than Reach's... yes you could read each players name in Reach but wtf do I care how many challenges they've completed? You litterally had to drill down like 3 menus to gauge a players skill in Reach's lobby. As long as Halo 4's can give me some pertinant info about skill (K/D, Win/Loss) then I can live with the baseball card layout.

Gui_PT

Well I mean if your cemented into that position I obviously cant change your mind, but I hope your exaggerating when you say youll have to turn your head.

You have a smart human brain I doubt it will ever be a problem

I regret that you dont take to it, its undoubtedly what (we) will be looking at the next couple years

It's just a matter of using the space properly and intuitively. These menus have none of that.

But I guess I'll have to get used to it.

I don't normally do this because it's a bit...um...worthless and tiring to discuss theoretical gameplay impacts without having played the game, but on this point I do feel like engaging only because I love the freedom offered by no fall damage.

From my experience with the jetpack in Reach, and the videos I've seen of it in Halo 4, the jetpack doesn't do as well as no fall damage in promoting vertical map movement without any of the map-breaking downsides. I know Mr. David, much appreciatively, said that there probably isn't a jump you can make in the maps where you'll experience fall damage (I don't believe he said anything about a stun). Additionally, I know he said you'll experience it under extraneous circumstances (mancannon + jetpack). But if that's the case, if fall damage is something you'll rarely experience, why is it in there to begin with? If it's a balance to the jetpack, why not only turn it on for jetpack users (if that can be done)? Seems like it would be a great way to help balance jetpack as an AA.

The mancannons in Halo 4 seem to operate like the mancannons in Reach, sadly: propelling you in a safe, low, and deliberate way so as to avoid fall damage or any danger. Reach mancannons were not fun for these reasons. Halo 3's mancannons were fun because they launched you high into the air, exposed you to an element of danger (thereby adding risk and a bit of an adrenaline rush), and being able to land safely to engage in battle immediately.

Couldn't agree more. I'd love to see that style come back and jetpack just be gone. But I am glad that they're taking steps to at least try to balance the AA's carried over from Reach.

Top Bottom